Bill for Services Provided

All about Cadomyr and its Guilds. / Alles über Cadomyr und die Gilden in Cadomyr.

Moderators: Rosaline Edwards, Gamemasters

Gorluss

Post by Gorluss »

A document is pinned in public places and handed to various people in Cadomyr to ensure it reaches the desired destination.
The Lizard Man Fooser declares that he has been nothing but gracious to the Countess and to Cadomyr since his return, despite the steady flow of threats and insults from the Countess. The Lizard Man assisted in, however not limited to, the following ways:
  • Personally crafting all the pins required for the Countesses construction project in front of her free of charge. The Lizard Man would have also provided the sand for no fee if another individual had not already volunteered.
  • Fervently engaged in battle outside Cadomyr's walls and within its marketplace during the month of Mas.
  • Assisted for as long was feasible in the voyage to rescue Aly, a citizen of Cadomyr (while it is true an employer in Runewick compensated the Lizard Man, he did not demand or expect such).
  • Paid 100 gold to the Knight Exelous to be used by the Court.
  • Retrieved information, issued apologies, and complied with all other demands of the Court.
  • Paid for mercenaries, and directly participated in the attack on the Undead Lord's Castle, an effort headed by a Knight of Cadomyr.
Despite these efforts the Countess has continued rude and aggressive behavior towards the Lizard Man who did not retaliate in any way. The Countess approached the Lizard Man Fooser in her workshop and openly expressed that she did not mind his presence as the tools are rarely used by anyone. She provided a warning about litter which the Lizard Man witnessed was done by a citizen of hers. One may be left to question why the Countess had a sudden change of heart, however, the Lizard Man knows the answer as his sources within Galmair have informed him that Oxiana personally requested (or perhaps ordered?) the Countess to treat the Lizard Man this way following his departure as a citizen of Galmair for Runewick. The Lizard Man has been harassed by Galmair before so he is not surprised by this. One may ask: how does the fact that some Galmair citizens left for Runewick impact Cadomyr? Only the Countess may answer that question, and she has done so only unconvincingly to this point. These acts are unprecedented and no crafter from any town or in any town has ever been treated this way.

The Countess should be honest that the impetus for this action is not economic concern for Cadomyr but pressure from Oxiana, a sad impotent who keeps children from their mothers and has the charisma of a rock. The basis for this taxation is that foreign crafters are draining Cadomyrian resources, however the Countess is unable to articulate what calculation she has used to determine this. Can she please share this calculation with the public? Is there any denial that Simeon, her own citizen, has received obscene amounts of coin from the Lizard Man to repair tools? Or that the Lizard Man does not sell his maps to Kraex, who then digs them and makes a profit? How does she know what amount of wear on her tools are attributable to a specific person? How does the Countess account for any of these considerations in her calculation? If this was more than a petty vendetta against specific individuals who left Galmair the Countess should be able to provide this information to the Ambassador of Runewick.

The Lizard Man also wishes to declare that he has no intention of aggressive acts against the Countess or violating the terms of the Agreement between the Countess and himself. However, it appears, with no input from himself, that the Countess wishes to cultivate a relationship where all acts are reduced to financial liabilities that the other party is responsible for. The Lizard Man Fooser acted in Good Faith and had no intention of billing for anything he has provided, but that no longer seems possible through no fault of his own.

To: Katharina Brightrim
Notice Date: Eldas 2
Payment Due Date: Irmas 2

330 pins for Latrine Building Project (330 x 10s) ------ 3.3g
Reimbursement of mercenary costs for Cherass Assault (equivalent of 6 latent gems at market price of 4g) ------ 24g
Reimbursement for Potions used during Cherass Assault ------ 4g
Lost time due to Cherass Assault ------ 3g
Equipment repair costs following Cherass Assault ----- 1.5g
Reimbursement for Potions used during Mas Defense of Cadomyr --------- 20g
Lost time due to Mas Defense of Cadomyr ---------- 8g
Medical Treatment for injuries during Mas Defense of Cadomyr --------- 7g
Equipment repair costs for Mas Defense of Cadomyr ------- 10g
Reimbursement for time & labor clearing demon skeletons from the desert ------- 3g
Public slander and miscellaneous damages -------- 30g
Reimbursement for one alpha license ------ 1g

TOTAL ------- 114.8g

-The Lizard Man Fooser reserves the right to accept payment in valuables that are not gold or silver coins.
-The Lizard Man Fooser has heard from Cadomyr citizens that the kingdom has become quite impoverished, the monthly gem rewards are paltry, and that the Countess may not be able to pay this in a lump sum. The Lizard Man Fooser offers to set a meeting with the Countess to agree on a payment plan to provide a portion of these costs in monthly increments so as not to cause hardship for the Countess.

The orc GORLUSS, notating for and paraphrasing the Lizard Man Fooser
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Re: Bill for Services Provided

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

To Fooser and whoever else it concerns.

In this parchment, I will go through the note Fooser had published by the orc Gorluss in chronological order.

Starting with the first line, I am already curious: When did I insult you, Fooser? Please list all insults I addressed you with. I 'threatened' to raise the fee for licences again, if you keep abusing our workshop and our resources, as you did. You did not care about it. Now, at this point I would like to point out, that the fee is (temporarily) set for Runewick, not for Fooser exclusively. Of course, in this parchment of him, he makes it look like a personal vendetta, but might have missed the part, where I talked about Runewickian citizen in plural. I did not name them in order to not put the blame on anybody, or to speak ill of somebody. Now that you decided to put on that shoe, however, I admit that it fits you very well.

Coming to your 'deeds' for Cadomyr next. Yes, it is true that you, Fooser, provided nails for the construction of the latrine. I offered you payment for it, but you wanted to make it a donation. That was very generous of you and I thanked you for it, and put your name on the list of donators. That you list fighting for Cadomyr against the undead creatures of Mas as a deed, surprises me. Didn't several Cadomyrian citizens fight alongside Runewick as well? Sir Exelous, our most capable general, even got hurt during this, and you do not hear us raising this point to show how supportive we are. As for the rescue of Aly, I heard you asking for the payment. You received 20 magical gems, from what I heard, to sit on the boat with us. An act of heartwarming love to other people indeed. You did pay 100 gold coins to Exelous, but apparently you did not understand why you did that. That wasn't generosity. It was a condition to lift a kill on sight order off you and allow you back to Cadomyr. Do not make it sound as if you felt generous one morning and just handed over a donation. Same goes for the apologies, and the other demands of the Court, which happened upon your grievance to be allowed back to Cadomyr, as you may remember. As for the last point, I can not comment on this, as I was not there. From what I heard, however, you were paid for the attack as well, so please do not label this as generosity either.

I do not want to belittle any of those things, though. I am thankful for your help in Mas, I am thankful for your donation of materials and I am thankful that you stood at our side when we fought enemies. But listing these things now as if we owe you something for it, makes them all calculated instead of generous and genuine.

I have neither been rude nor aggressive against you. How could I even, seeing how you always run the long way around the market to avoid people, only giving one-worded commands towards Simeon to request a repair, or say 'hello' as the full extent of conversation, before running off again? Of course, if there's a trade you can make some coins from, you do have the time to talk a little longer. It is true that I approached you in our workshop. I told you that, if you keep wearing down our tools like this, that I would not have a choice but raise the fee again to cover our repair costs. You say that you witnessed Cadomyrian citizen littering, but I also witnessed how the mines look after you were done there. Mugs everywhere on the ground, lighted torches between the rubbish. It's a blessing that stones don't burn, or else we would have had a massive fire already.

Coming next to the 'sudden' change of hearts. Which, as you may guess, was not as sudden as you want to portray it here. Months ago, I already talked to the new Runewickian ambassador to Cadomyr, Eli Travinus, who agreed, that your use of Cadomyrian resources and tools bordered robbery. He agreed that putting a fee on you was legitimate and reasonable, but asked to only put it on you. After other cases became public, however, I said that the general fee on licences would come now. I would have raised it earlier, but then Aly went missing, and setting up a fee became less important. I told Eli, when he asked, that I would set it up after she was found and brought back. Honoring the efforts of Runewick in this crisis, I waited another month to set the fee up and then, instead of making it permanent, I limited it to 8 months. So do not tell me that it was a 'sudden' change of hearts, just because you do not talk to your own people. You even point out the ambassador. Did you talk to him about this at all? Again, this is not hostility against one or more Runewickian citizen. It is an attempt to make you aware that we have tool repair costs to cover, which we cannot cover if our resources and wares are exported without a benefit for Cadomyr.

Next up is something, I will call a wild conspiracy. You asked "how does the fact that some Galmair citizens left for Runewick impact Cadomyr?" and the answer is very simple: It does not. At this point you make it sound as if it is a licence for you, but it is not. It is a licence for Runewick, which you are merely a part of. I would like to point out how self centered your parchment is. All it does is affirm the theory I heard from somebody who's responsible in Runewick, who will remain unnamed here, who said that the only reason for your move to Runewick was to get their magical gems.

I am honest here, if I say that this action serves the Cadomyrian economy and I will not tolerate wild and pointless accusations that I am the hand-doll of a foreign official. I am serving the realm of Cadomyr and her Majesty Queen Rosaline Edwards. However, I am not in the position that I have to reveal any internal town calculations to the public. I am very happy to hear that Simeon gets a cut out of your business, and of course, the realm benefits from his taxes as well. However, ask yourself, whether paying a man for repairing your tools is a generous move towards the realm he serves. Sir Kraex might also buy maps from you, I have no idea. However, this is on a personal base. Sir Kraex, as honorable as he is, is not responsible for paying the repair of the town-tools. He may pay taxes, but it remains a private trade that does not majorly affect Cadomyr as a realm.

My dear Fooser, you say that you do not have any intention of aggressive acts against me? Then reread your parchment, in which you basically call me a mindless slave of Galmair who cannot make her own decisions. You twist things to your favor (not for the first time, I may add) and make yourself sound more generous than you are. A donation of 100 gold coins would indeed be very generous, if not for the fact that it was not a donation, but rather a compensation payment for attacking her Majesty and damaging the peace in the realm. If the military aspect of standing against a common enemy is worth mentioning, then of course, this support is very generous as well, even though I prefer to just help for the sake of helping instead of doing it for the generosity.

Your bill will remain mostly unpaid, I am afraid. Happily, I will pay for the nails, which you so generously donated to our project. As for the Assault on Cherass, I was not responsible for and neither lead it. From what I heard, though, you were paid by Sir Exelous. The other points are mostly pointless, and if you start charging coins for usual things like fighting common enemies, I can not help but call you greedy. It should be the most logical thing to stand together against undead armies in Mas, Cadomyr supports the other realms as much as you supported us. We lost our most capable general for months due to his protection of Runewick. Am I supposed to demand compensation payment for that as well? It is a difference to charge a fee for the repair of our tools and to make demands for following the common sense to always stand on the opposite side of undead, unholy creatures. As the last point, I would like to react to in this bill, is the public slander. Is it my fault that you make such a fuss, and make it about yourself, after I wrote a parchment in which I did not name anybody who's actions lead to this? You put on this shoe yourself, making it sound as if it's a personal thing under which the whole Runewickian community has to 'suffer'.

As a sign of good will, I will pay for the nails and round it up to 5 gold, to pay for two of your licences. I can pay those coins at once, the next time we meet and reject your most generous offer of monthly increments. If you measure the wealth of a realm in magical gems, that is your business, but be assured that Cadomyr is not "impoverished".

I hope I could solve all misunderstandings, and I am happy to see such an amount of words from you. Last time you had so much to say, and did not avoid the conversation or even contact to other people on the Cadomyr marketplace, must have been your last grievance. If only, you could put in so much effort into social contacts in times you have nothing to complain about, then maybe we would not have to discuss a fee for licences today.

As always, you are warmly invited to discuss these matters with me in person as well, rather than spreading conspiracies based on a lack of knowledge. Also, I am waiting for the list of insults I addressed you with, I am most curious about that.

Countess of House Desert Fox
Gorluss

Post by Gorluss »

The Lizard Man Fooser, through notation by the orc GORLUSS declares the following:
Please list all insults I addressed you with.
The Countess impugned the Lizard Man's character publicly in writing, you can refer to the writings set aside for your Noble House.
I 'threatened' to raise the fee for licences again, if you keep abusing our workshop and our resources, as you did. You did not care about it. Now, at this point I would like to point out, that the fee is (temporarily) set for Runewick, not for Fooser exclusively.
This is not correct. You only brought up the littering complaint with the Lizard Man. You made no mention of taking issue with the use of tools, rather you said the opposite. The dwarf that was littering your town has not been seen in some time and the Lizard Man has not noticed any litter in Cadomyr. He hopes you are pleased with this.
Of course, in this parchment of him, he makes it look like a personal vendetta, but might have missed the part, where I talked about Runewickian citizen in plural. I did not name them in order to not put the blame on anybody, or to speak ill of somebody. Now that you decided to put on that shoe, however, I admit that it fits you very well.
The Lizard Man says this is correct, however he also believes his perspective to be correct. The Lizard Man's sources in Galmair have also informed him that you were uh .. "requested" .. to watch Sammy Goldlieb and treat him the same way if needed. The Lizard Man is also aware that you brought up the littering complaint with Caswir. However, any impartial observer can see that, as Sammy has not been seen in some time, that these new actions were directed against the Lizard Man on behalf of Galmair.

In the initial justification from the Countess, she stated that the Lizard Man was taking resources from Cadomyr and then selling wares in Galmair, thereby harming Cadomyr and boosting Galmair. If this is such a boon for Galmair why are they also harassing the Lizard Man? These actions and claims do not add up unless you assume specific individuals are being targeted for this harassment.
Sir Exelous, our most capable general, even got hurt during this
The Lizard Man is fond of the Knight Exelous and agrees with this characterization. He wonders why the Knight Exelous is not a member of the Court.
and you do not hear us raising this point to show how supportive we are.
Correct. Cadomyr would be right to bring these points up if Runewick began targeting its citizens.
As for the rescue of Aly, I heard you asking for the payment. You received 20 magical gems, from what I heard, to sit on the boat with us. An act of heartwarming love to other people indeed.
The Lizard Man was compensated which is why these costs were not billed to Cadomyr.
You did pay 100 gold coins to Exelous, but apparently you did not understand why you did that. That wasn't generosity. It was a condition to lift a kill on sight order off you and allow you back to Cadomyr. Do not make it sound as if you felt generous one morning and just handed over a donation. Same goes for the apologies, and the other demands of the Court, which happened upon your grievance to be allowed back to Cadomyr, as you may remember. As for the last point, I can not comment on this, as I was not there. From what I heard, however, you were paid for the attack as well, so please do not label this as generosity either.
This is correct, those points were to settle past issues and were not charity. However, if the Lizard Man was not demonstrating good faith to you, he also had the option of not paying the 100 gold coins, not apologizing, and not cooperating.
I do not want to belittle any of those things, though. I am thankful for your help in Mas, I am thankful for your donation of materials and I am thankful that you stood at our side when we fought enemies.
The Lizard Man expresses appreciation for you writing this.
But listing these things now as if we owe you something for it, makes them all calculated instead of generous and genuine.
The Lizard Man confirms the acts were not calculated, which is why he has not attempted to recoup lost costs up to now. The Countess has clearly been watching the Lizard Man and has started calculating whether she feels he is a "net benefit" or "net loss" to her kingdom and is now requiring compensation. Because the Countess is cultivating this type of relationship, the Lizard Man has no choice but to recoup these losses.

The Lizard Man has also noted that the Countess has not provided the calculation she used to determine he was a "net loss" to her realm, which he expresses disappointment toward. Did the Countess account for all the coins the Lizard Man paid to her merchants in her marketplace? Or that he has been exclusively selling maps to Kraex, her citizen? Or that he has traded magical gems and pure elements he has mined to her citizens? Or any of the time and effort the Lizard Man spent defending her walls? He does not understand her conclusion.

I have neither been rude nor aggressive against you. How could I even, seeing how you always run the long way around the market to avoid people, only giving one-worded commands towards Simeon to request a repair, or say 'hello' as the full extent of conversation, before running off again?
The Lizard Man has a good relationship with Simeon.
You say that you witnessed Cadomyrian citizen littering, but I also witnessed how the mines look after you were done there. Mugs everywhere on the ground, lighted torches between the rubbish. It's a blessing that stones don't burn, or else we would have had a massive fire already.
Raw stone is a natural biproduct of the mining process and to suggest that all miners do not do this is a joke. The Lizard Man is curious again as to how the Countess attributed stone or mugs to Fooser and not to other miners who have been seen there? Additionally, the Lizard Man carries a firesword with him to kill slimes and illuminate the darkness. He has never lit a torch in any mine and requests you retract that. He has witnessed the human Bidukan leaving lit torches all over Galmair though, perhaps you should ask them.
Coming next to the 'sudden' change of hearts. Which, as you may guess, was not as sudden as you want to portray it here. Months ago, I already talked to the new Runewickian ambassador to Cadomyr, Eli Travinus, who agreed, that your use of Cadomyrian resources and tools bordered robbery.
The Runewick ambassador did not raise this point with the Lizard Man. If the Countess' words are true, the Lizard Man vigorously disagrees with the characterization by the Runewick ambassador.
He agreed that putting a fee on you was legitimate and reasonable, but asked to only put it on you. After other cases became public, however, I said that the general fee on licences would come now. I would have raised it earlier, but then Aly went missing, and setting up a fee became less important.
The Lizard Man expresses happiness that you placed the rescue of Aly at higher priority than "how to stop a Lizard from making trinkets." He wishes that the Countess and Oxiana take the same approach with Letma. Perhaps the lands would not be in the sad state they are in currently.
Again, this is not hostility against one or more Runewickian citizen. It is an attempt to make you aware that we have tool repair costs to cover, which we cannot cover if our resources and wares are exported without a benefit for Cadomyr.
How does the Countess calculate these repair costs? How does she attribute the wear on the tools to Runewick citizens as opposed to others? Does she watch the workshop all day and night?
Next up is something, I will call a wild conspiracy. You asked "how does the fact that some Galmair citizens left for Runewick impact Cadomyr?" and the answer is very simple: It does not. At this point you make it sound as if it is a licence for you, but it is not. It is a licence for Runewick, which you are merely a part of. I would like to point out how self centered your parchment is.
The Lizard Man trusts his sources in Galmair who have informed him that you were uh .. "requested" to watch the Lizard Man and Sammy specifically and to take actions against them if needed. He has also been informed by his source in Galmair that whenever there is tension with Runewick, the Countess immediately runs to Galmair to speak with Oxiana. It's quite apparent that Galmair has lost numerous citizens to Runewick - Caswir, Fooser, Kyre, Tyan, Sammy, Drathe, to name a few, and that Oxiana has a lot of anger and resentment. It seems they directed this mostly at the Lizard Man and the Countess is complying. The Lizard Man couldn't help but notice that when you arrived at the Runewick harbor to take the voyage to get Aly, you were wearing yellow and black - Galmair colors!
All it does is affirm the theory I heard from somebody who's responsible in Runewick, who will remain unnamed here, who said that the only reason for your move to Runewick was to get their magical gems.
This is another instance of public defamation from you against the Lizard Man and it has been added to the bill.
My dear Fooser, you say that you do not have any intention of aggressive acts against me? Then reread your parchment, in which you basically call me a mindless slave of Galmair who cannot make her own decisions.
The Lizard Man refused to retaliate against your acts of disrespect since his return, until the parchment above delivered yesterday, as an act of good faith. However, he is not a training dummy that will continue to be hit without response.
Your bill will remain mostly unpaid, I am afraid. Happily, I will pay for the nails, which you so generously donated to our project.
The Lizard Man is pleased you have accepted part of the bill. He reiterates that the remaining lines are justified items that the Countess owes, and that it is universally accepted around the world that not paying one's debts is dishonorable.
We lost our most capable general for months due to his protection of Runewick. Am I supposed to demand compensation payment for that as well?
Perhaps. If Runewick was attempting to pointless extract coins from Cadomyrians.
I hope I could solve all misunderstandings, and I am happy to see such an amount of words from you. Last time you had so much to say, and did not avoid the conversation or even contact to other people on the Cadomyr marketplace, must have been your last grievance. If only, you could put in so much effort into social contacts in times you have nothing to complain about, then maybe we would not have to discuss a fee for licences today.
From the Lizard Man's observations, your interactions with Runewickers have exuded arrogance and appeared unpleasant. The Countess has also defamed his character in public in the past. Because of this, and from your writings, he would not find exchanging pleasantries with you to be pleasant or intellectually stimulating. A minimum length of conversation between the parties was not part of the Agreement, and has never been a prerequisite for using tools anywhere.

Amendment #1 to Bill for Services Provided

Amendment Date: Eldas 4
Amended Due Date: Irmas 4
  • The original bill incorrectly states the price per pin at 10 silver, this was intended to read 1 silver. The total was correct and does not need to be changed.
  • For new counts of public defamation the bill for miscellaneous damages is hereby increased from 30g to 40g.
  • The Lizard Man provided 4,000 raw stone for a project against Letma. Due to the Countess' failure to end the Letma threat after all these years, and since ending such a threat would benefit Cadomyr more than either other realm, the Lizard Man is owed compensation at 4,000 stone x 40c per stone -------- 16g
  • Reimbursement for teleporter costs for transporting the stone (40 trips x 5s per trip) -------- 2g

Amended Grand Total: 142.8g

The Lizard Man has heard from certain sources that the Countess is unable to pay this debt so he reiterates his generous offer of allowing a monthly payment plan until paid in full at no interest! The Lizard Man is willing to negotiate alternative arrangements if the Countess is shown to act in good faith.

The orc GORLUSS, notating for and paraphrasing the Lizard Man Fooser
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Fooser,

I will state something that I thought was clear by now. You are not in the position to demand anything, whether it's coins or internal financial reports. I serve her Majesty and the realm of Cadomyr, not you.

I am happy that you have so many friends in the realms who tell you things, but let me assure you that I am following nobody but myself and her Majesty. Oxiana set up a fee for licences for Runewickian citizen, that is true. But it is not true that he told me to follow his example. Maybe you should try to find some responsibility by yourself rather than blaming everybody else. When two realms set up fees because of your abusive use of resources and tools, maybe it's not the realms who are wrong but you?

You make me accountable for Letma not being solved by now. I would like to point out that Letma was an issue decades before I even became a noble in Cadomyr. Many people worked and are still working on solving this crisis, making me personally responsible for the failure is wrong and too simple. What is your contribution to solve the crisis you blame on me? I have not seen you on a single meeting concerning Letma so far.

For the bill, I would like to point out that a mercenary who joins a military cause without being hired can hardly demand payment in retrospective. That's not how things work and calling it dishonorable to not pay for things that were offered as donations is, well, exactly that.

However, I will keep offering the 5 gold coins for the nails and two licences. It's either that or nothing, your call.

This is my last public answer to those crude and false accusations, please meet me in person or talk to me through the Runewickian officials. I do not plan to prolong the fees for Runewick as a realm, so if you keep up your overly disrespectful tune, I will start to act accordingly against you individually. Then you can complain about personal punishments. I do not care whatever issues you and Galmair have, as it does not concern me. Talk to Oxiana or anybody else in Galmair if you feel mistreated by them, but leave me out of your personal fight with Galmair. We are talking about eight months of paying for tool repairs here. No reason to make such a fuss of it.

Countess of House Desert Fox
Gorluss

Post by Gorluss »

A small note is tacked below, the hand-writing is obviously different and worse from the first two.

I've advocated a frontal assault against Letma and have been prepared to participate at a moments notice. Outside of that my job is to follow orders.

The Knight Exelous has provided the leadership, and sacrificed everything including his body, to fighting Letma. And yet he is still refused a spot on the Court. You're the Countess of Cadomyr and the only Noble House. Letma is in your borders and is the biggest threat to you. It's been 8 years. Do something.

F
Gorluss

Post by Gorluss »

The Lizard Man Fooser, the generous, has decided to cancel the debts described above.

GORLUSS