lets talk about FOIG

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Alytys Lamar

lets talk about FOIG

Post by Alytys Lamar »

FOIG - find out in Game

This abbreviation startles me sometimes.
It is true - Illarion is a heavy focused RP game and free to play, too. So Roleplay focused things really should have this FOIG *mark*
But let me explain =
Pixel Games like Illa having sort of a nostalgic comback.
But players who like those games changed because of Minecraft or Dwarf fortress.
A lot of them like to be the 'Perfect" crafter, fighter*
Illarion lacks on a Wiki which explains how skills working, how crafting is working and how you max it.
Even niche games have sort of a Wiki. In a Wiki you could even say - " this item is explained IG" or " it is temporary under rework but for now ... "

Honestly even I as a *old* player of Illarion have my problems to work things out - it seems even impossible to figure out the mechanics.
So "FOIG" sounds elitist and cocky to me if someone asks a question about Skills/Crafting System/ Recipes and so on.

A good example to balance it is Wurm Online in my opinion. It has a bit of a similar crafting system, but it is so much more complex.
But you have also a IG WIki, a good world map ( which lacks completey in Illarion ) , though you need to find your way alone - and what you like to accomplish - IG.

We could take advantage of this nostalgic return for pixel games and RP.
But as long as new players not have any access to sort of a data bank, well ---- they will leaving the game fast, cause they want to be a perfect tailor, smith or cook !
We could have a much broader player base if we would put some effort in such a Databank / Wiki.

Myself would be willing to help - but not even I have the knowledge about skills and how all is working.
And this I say after a very long time playing.

My five cents to this - if someone want a german translate I will add it - just ask :)
Achae Eanstray

Re: lets talk about FOIG

Post by Achae Eanstray »

New people DO try to find out in game when need answers.. if not they should be able to count on the players on discord. There shouldn't be any FOIG for explaining crafting, and if easy to find help them do it. You can be sure... for all the FOIG a player gets there are other helpful ones that DM. Let's encourage people to stay with us, not to leave. The real importance of the game is roleplay, allow our new players to use older ones as a resource.

Achae
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

For those who do not know, we used to have a wiki that was actually shut down at one point as the maintenance effort exceeded its usefulness. But that does not mean a wiki is per se a bad idea. It should just be clear what the purpose and content should be and how it should be run.
Illarion lacks on a Wiki which explains how skills working, how crafting is working and how you max it.
Can you elaborate on this? What exactly should be contained in the wiki? Any other content than crafting and a world map?
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

I'll try @Estralis

Example :

Keyword Treasure Map
Picture of the Treasure Map and how to use it
Maybe the levels of the Maps, too

I would do it as simple as possible, so everyone who seeks information can find it. Items explained.
We could even add some small RP advice to it.
Illarion will always be heavy focused RP.

The Druid recipes are clearly a thing which should be adressed only by learning from a mentor - but the herbs could have just the picture / name / and the region where to find.

If you get as a new player a element, glyph shard or latent gem you look at it and have no idea what it stands for.
In the Tutorial some very small basic things get explained, but really only the rudimentary things.

A list of NPC'S and what they have to offer if you do the questline would also doing good in a Wiki.

last but not least how Skill/SKillgain and MC works, how different items influence skills/crafting/fighting and interact with RP

And at the starting side the note and pointer to use IG player help with RP !
I mentioned before if something is already under rework , hint about it and let the *old* information stay as long as someone is working on it.

I hope you get the idea.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I think a player run wiki would be a great idea. I would certainly contribute. There are many games that have quite helpful fan wiki’s, and I think this would make the game more accessible to new and old players.

I would rather the developers focus on developing new game content.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Is the extend of content exceeding what could be added to the FAQ?

https://illarion.org/general/us_faq_general.php
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

I'm pretty sure yes

I'll link yout to an example I had in mind. Its an survival game and well done, also a rather small game

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

And another example how to use a DataBase could be this WIki
H&H is a pretty hard and small survival game with some decent RP, but mor focused of guild raids and ... coughs grieving players.

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Haven_and_Hearth_Wiki

Other then the simple explain of items/skills/ professions we could add something like ( counts especially for Druids and the like )

"Roleplay restricted, ask for help IG or on Discord"