Bad guy dos and donts

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

themonk

Re: Bad guy dos and donts

Post by themonk »

Flux wrote:I won't discourage you from roleplaying anything provided it's within the game rules, but that sounds like a generic PK build.
"Good guys" have Player killed many times.
Leon Demelii

Post by Leon Demelii »

themonk wrote: "Good guys" have Player killed many times.
Hello, I'm Leon Demelii. And I have a problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
themonk

Post by themonk »

LOL PK rehab
Flux

Post by Flux »

themonk wrote:
Flux wrote:I won't discourage you from roleplaying anything provided it's within the game rules, but that sounds like a generic PK build.
Flux wrote:You should avoid killing, regardless of if you are a GOOD GUY or a BAD GUY.

That is the difference between being a good player, or a bad player. Not a good guy and a bad guy. Illarion is a multiplayer game, which is supposed to be fun for everyone. Your chars may be "against" other chars, but that is not the same as you being against their players.

A bad guy who kills an innocent is JUST AS BAD as a good player who vaniquishes a bad guy with a PK.
I feel like I already covered that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Rule

If that was really your nerve reaction, "Other people PK too", rather than "I don't intend to PK", it sounds like a fundamentally flawed character concept. If you're just creating that character and you're already justifying the reason for griefing other players, that's the entirely wrong reason to make a character. PKings don't add colour and interest to the game, they add frustration and tension between players.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Flux wrote:
themonk wrote:
Flux about 10 posts ago wrote:You should avoid killing, regardless of if you are a GOOD GUY or a BAD GUY.

That is the difference between being a good player, or a bad player. Not a good guy and a bad guy. Illarion is a multiplayer game, which is supposed to be fun for everyone. Your chars may be "against" other chars, but that is not the same as you being against their players.

A bad guy who kills an innocent is JUST AS BAD as a good player who vaniquishes a bad guy with a PK.
I feel like I already covered that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Rule
Indeed you have, thanks for forwarding it.

As this thread is basically to ease into a PVP situation or avoiding by receiving peoples views as a whole.
If I was to sit on my backside plotting how to manipulate people through pure roleplay id of not made this thread because theres no upsetting the other player because you have made sure there happy with there decision and more fool them if they go along with it IG

Whats the point of being a super villain the head boss, don cor leone without muscle?

A pirate captain without a crew?

A sleezy political figure without a man to clean up his mess?

Theres always going to be players getting into fights. I have played games where you cannot harm other players and it is boring. The fact you have the choice makes it feel better IG.

As for the silver rule that's common sense, If you kill another players character and they come back with there IG friend and get revenge (with RP) you have to accept that if not your a plain and simple bell-end. Nobody likes hypocrits(cant spell but you know what I mean).

Also I will emote that much that ONLY other players that want to PK me also will go through with, I will not upset other people with my Char that's why I made this thread.

Also in the past IG ive never PK only knocked down be it good guy bad guy. About the "nerve reaction" comment, if I thought it was ok to PK why would I make this thread and go about it?

If you honestly don't trust me Flux to play in a responsible manner as this character, say so now and I will not go through with the plot and I will make him a simple Merc for hire killing monsters etc.
Flux

Post by Flux »

themonk wrote:As this thread is basically to ease into a PVP situation or avoiding by receiving peoples views as a whole.
If I was to sit on my backside plotting how to manipulate people through pure roleplay id of not made this thread because theres no upsetting the other player because you have made sure there happy with there decision and more fool them if they go along with it IG
So, in other words, you weren't looking for pointers on how to play a bad guy, you were announcing to the forum that you're going to be playing a character that is going to pk them, and to get ready for it?
Whats the point of being a super villain the head boss, don cor leone without muscle?
If you think people become leaders of the villains by being strong, you're completely off the mark. That's entirely governed by inter-character relations. My character founded a town with zero fighting or magic skills, got the future governor out of jail, organised the assassination of one governor of Bane, and then incidentally got another one killed. When he had just 4 runes he was able to throw together a small army in a couple of hours.

^ Enemy army (which was actually being ordered by the head of the town guard, who was secretly my char's spy).

^ We had just one casualty. Took over Troll's Bane and gave it to someone as a present.

Whether or not you're a successful leader or not is absolutely nothing to do with your skills.
Theres always going to be players getting into fights. I have played games where you cannot harm other players and it is boring. The fact you have the choice makes it feel better IG.
So all you're saying here is "I want to kill people". Again, this is a multiplayer game. It's about the fun of everyone, not your own. That's Illarion's primary rule.
As for the silver rule that's common sense, If you kill another players character and they come back with there IG friend and get revenge (with RP).
That is not the point of the silver rule. It is not syonymous with "an eye for an eye", or "live by the sword, die by the sword". The silver rule implies that you never instigate the violence in the first place, it says nothing about retaliation.
themonk

Post by themonk »

"So, in other words, you weren't looking for pointers on how to play a bad guy, you were announcing to the forum that you're going to be playing a character that is going to pk them, and to get ready for it?"

Not at all.

"So all you're saying here is "I want to kill people". Again, this is a multiplayer game. It's about the fun of everyone, not your own. That's Illarion's primary rule."

Your twisting my words I have never killed another player since I joined check Gurk's logs and all my other characters.

"That is not the point of the silver rule. It is not syonymous with "an eye for an eye", or "live by the sword, die by the sword". The silver rule implies that you never instigate the violence in the first place, it says nothing about retaliation."

SILVER RULE

The Silver Rule "Do not do ,unto others what you would not have them do unto you", is a standard of behaviour found in the writings of, amongst others, Hillel the Elder. It is the contra positive of the ethical principle of the Golden Rule.[1]

The Silver Rule is similar in meaning to the Hippocratic Oath, known best for the declaration "do no harm". Hippocrates wrote, in his Epidemics, Bk. I, Sect. XI. "Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm." The shorter expression might be interpreted as a simplification of the longer one.

You missed out my quote on Hippocratic

"so in your words"

Your words and opinion of my words not my intention.

You clearly don't think im responsible so I will delete Brudaar.
Last edited by themonk on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flux

Post by Flux »

I'm not twisting your words, you twisted them yourself.

Again, if you are honestly making this character for the fun of yourself and others: go play the character! But if you were actually just making it with an intention to cause grief to other players, it really won't be a loss to the game world if you don't.
themonk

Post by themonk »

I wouldn't cause grief Flux I know you do not know me, but I promise you and everyone else who plays that I love this game and respect the GMs and appreciate everything you all have done making this game better and better. I also am thankful for all the other players who are in the game because without them it'll be pretty dull.

So I promise I will not run into Runewick and slay all your char lol or Cadomyr.
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

Cadomyr would kick your ass anyways. >_>
themonk

Post by themonk »

So would Runewick
Flux

Post by Flux »

Damn straight. ;)
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

Pfft, magicless whimps.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

It's not the towns that'll kill you, it's all the monsters in between.
Leon Demelii

Post by Leon Demelii »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:It's not the towns that'll kill you, it's all the monsters in between.

Couldn't say it better myself :lol:
Maeglin Telemmaite

Post by Maeglin Telemmaite »

i for one play totally chaotic neutral characters who will kill you in a moments notice (rp included unless you dont rp on others first... *INSERT ACCUSING VALEN HERE*)
but will be your best friend if you ask them to and are nice to them! except one..who is truly evil yet no one knows it..BUM BUM BUM!!
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

@themonk: Thanks for answering my questions, generally speaking I think your character build is very open ended with opportunities for growth in various ways. As I mentioned before and cannot stress enough, some members of this community are going to dislike you especially if you like to PK. However you choose to cope with that is up to you.

I personally love rping with thieves and darker aligned characters. Makes me and my character nervous just ask Juliana (LMAO).

My last piece of advice: don't get frustrated early on things may not go smoothly for you. Depending on who you come across will greatly affect your RP. Some people I am sorry just plan and simple suck, but don't get discouraged you will get those moments that are so great and fun that it will keep you playing.

Just hang in there!
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

*She stands in the shadows crossing her arms allowing one leg to bend with boot against the wall. A dagger may be seen resting in the boot for easy reach. Her cloak covers some of her swords in their sheaths and the shadows seem to hide most of her face.*

There are no bad guys.. only scary ones with good roleplay. The scary ones well played are a wonder and well worth the time. You are not playing your character right if you have people leaving not wanting to be with you. One of the best thieves in game had people trying to run into him.. he had to get an apprentice.