Arena

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pugnacious

Arena

Post by Pugnacious »

I wanted to post this in proposals, but there was no button to select that.

During the Chamber of Commerce time we had the idea of constructing an Arena. This was not possible for the following reasons, the person in charge of mapping is not available, wait for the VBU. Since then many forests have been rebuilt due to tree cutters, towns rebuilt due to angry mages burning them, a whole demon tower being built south of Trollsbane, a santa area with a teleport, and a panther cage, with fire pit,wagons in two locations. I am sure there was more. There is no reason it cant be built.
The arena would be a place to congregate around. People could train there with others near to watch, maybe even place bets. It could serve as punishment for those found guilty of crime, instead of jail.
The design we had back then was, a circle arena with seating up top, a ladder providing the way in/out, three doors that lead to different levels of monsters, when opened they come out to challenge who is in the arena, but are trapped from roaming because of no exit but the ladder that they cant climb. So the town remains safe.
This would be a much more entertaining place to be than a fire pit. It may rally the few that are on at one time to be in the same place. No more need to go far underground to train all alone in the cemetery.
This promotes a center of RP, something we badly need.
Dantagon Marescot

Re: Arena

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

He has a point. It is there to promote rp and a few people are annoyed that mapping has come to a halt. We understand that it is because of the VBU and the mapper is MIA, but some of us have depots full of building supplies that were meant for building. That is lost space for us. That and there was rp created to gather the supplies to build, right now that rp is gone and the rp from the resulting buildings is halted.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Rebuilding destroyed items is different then adding new structures entirely. The forests or buildings that were burned down due to wild fires and or intentionally set blazes are preexisting structures or items, not newly built ones. quest constructions such as the demon tower (Even I'm not sure why it was left up, being locked as it is) or any other quest made items are supposed to serve a specific purpose for the duration of their use then under normal circumstances be removed. Completely new buildings are not likely to be added to the game currently as the uber staff has decided against new structures.

The VBU is a bit deceptive of a name. New maps are being made rather then the old maps being imported from the current client. So any structures built now would have to be Remade on the new maps, which is just extra work. Instead it seems the map team would rather wait and add player built structures after they finish the mandatory tasks of getting the primary maps into usable condition. Also keep in mind if they allow one new structure regardless of the intended use, it would be unfair to deny other requests.

Trust me many feel your pain about not being able to build, especially when they have a good idea with good intentions toward the community. We'll all just have to be patient for now :wink:
Zot

Post by Zot »

What Athian said.
This feature to destroy/burn down things got removed by the way.
We are waiting with mapupdates until the VBU, because the map got changed a lot, new buildings got added, old ones (which there useless) got removed for example.

And there are two different ways to change the map, the first one (the most annyoing one of course) is to change every single item/tile with a GM-char which takes a lot of time and is damn annyoing, like i mentioned before.
The second way is to create this map with the Mapeditor (which takes some time as well but is rather a comfortable way to create maps), at the moment i'm the only one in charge for mapstuff and i prefer to spend my time with the VBU instead of 'wasting' my time with new buildings on the current map.
Last but not least, you can still use the arena east of Bane for events.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

This feature to destroy/burn down things got removed by the way.

yet trees are still removed by unknown cutter then replaced the next day. Mage damage to buildings that happened very recently are repaired.

We are waiting with mapupdates until the VBU, because the map got changed a lot, new buildings got added, old ones (which there useless) got removed for example.

santa area and panther camps are newly added and still there, I will forget the demon tower as it was not so recent but post VBU planning.

And there are two different ways to change the map, the first one (the most annyoing one of course) is to change every single item/tile with a GM-char which takes a lot of time and is damn annyoing, like i mentioned before.
The second way is to create this map with the Mapeditor (which takes some time as well but is rather a comfortable way to create maps), at the moment i'm the only one in charge for mapstuff and i prefer to spend my time with the VBU instead of 'wasting' my time with new buildings on the current map.

I thank you for your hard work on the VBU, but I dont think it to be a "waste of time" to include some things now, as the VBU is overdate and unsure of its completion time. This was first proposed nearly one year ago.

Last but not least, you can still use the arena east of Bane for events.

I cant spawn the monsters or even open the doors as they are always locked. I cant secure the area like a ladder system will. The theater may be a good place to do this but will need developer help
Zot

Post by Zot »

yet trees are still removed by unknown cutter then replaced the next day. Mage damage to buildings that happened very recently are repaired.
There was a mapupdate a week ago, to fix some things which got destroyed (hopefully that was the last mapupdate until the VBU). Nothing new got added with this update.
santa area and panther camps are newly added and still there, I will forget the demon tower as it was not so recent but post VBU planning.
The panther camp is just a little camp which was made by a GM IG, not with the Editor, the same is the santa area.
This places will be removed with the update.
You arena is supposed to have more than one level, which means that this map can be done only with the editor.
Which means:

-I have to design this map
-Add this new arena in the nearly finished 'new' map
-Add the new (reworked map, which we won't add until the VBU)
-Make a mapupdate
-Add the new spawnpoints
-Watch the playesr crying about the reworked map
-Get demotivated
-Stop mapping
I thank you for your hard work on the VBU, but I dont think it to be a "waste of time" to include some things now, as the VBU is overdate and unsure of its completion time. This was first proposed nearly one year ago
The reworked map is nearly done, and a new arena got added in the map as well.
And i don't think that new buildings like this arena will bring more RP IG, well actually it will bring some RP for a 1-2 weeks, but this will stop, because human tend to get used to new things = the building won't be used much after this 1-2 weeks..
I cant spawn the monsters or even open the doors as they are always locked. I cant secure the area like a ladder system will. The theater may be a good place to do this but will need developer help
We don't add new monster spawns until the VBU, if you are looking for monsters there are plenty places you can meet them. Furthermore we don't want monster spawns next a city, because there are some genius who would bring this monsters into the city.
If you want monsters, ask mages, there are a lot of them IG nowadays.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Zot wrote:
We don't add new monster spawns until the VBU, if you are looking for monsters there are plenty places you can meet them. Furthermore we don't want monster spawns next a city, because there are some genius who would bring this monsters into the city.
If you want monsters, ask mages, there are a lot of them IG nowadays.
Didn't he say something about it being underground level and it having no way for the monsters to get up? That would make it possible to have a monster spawn near town.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Why would they want to have monster spawns directly next to town? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of dungeons?
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

* all fighters should have in mind that are also non fighters at the towns.
* Monsters near towns makes it difficult to play a non fighter
* think there are a lot of places where fighter can train or where monsters can be found
(( i´m playing a non fighter ))
Llama

Post by Llama »

There are golems like, a few meters away from the Arena...