What does the VB in VBU stand for?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

What does the VB in VBU stand for?

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Fellow Illarionites,
Nitram has compiled some very interesting statistics about the development of the very big update. I'd like to share some of these statistics with you to show you why it is worth it waiting for the very big update. The first diagram shows total lines of Lua script code over time. The Lua scripts basically handle all actions you do when interacting with the world Illarion; crafting, fighting, magic, NPCs, quests and so on.

The diagram shows clearly that "something happened" in summer 2009: in late june of 2009, the development of the very big update was decided on and begun. After a rather short planning and conception time until early autumn, we see a significant increase in total script lines. The development speed was faster than ever before. Since the beginning of the project "VBU", the amount of total script lines for Illarion was doubled! What does that mean? The amount of game content and features that will be released with the VBU surpasses what was developed in all the years before. You'll see many, many new NPCs and quests but also nice features and consolidated old features.

The second diagram I'd like to present shows the lines of Java code of Illarion over time. The Illarion client, the map editor and the easyNPC editor are all written in Java.

Again, we see a certain jump in activity. The development of the new client that will be release with the VBU is one of the reasons; if you want learn more about how Illarion will look like in future, see the screenshots in this thread: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=34475

The client is the main java application of Illarion, but the easyNPC editor and the map editor are also very important development tools. From the diagram, you can conclude that the total amount of code lines was decupled(!) since the beginning of the development of the very big update. So, if you think Illarion will be the very same game after the update with some "nice things" added, I need to enlighten you: it will be a totally new game with the experience of many years converted into interesting features and many proposals of the community being added to the game.

It has to be noted that more things were done than writing java code and Lua scripts; a massive workload was spent on graphics (did I mention paperdolling?), new maps (dungeons etc.), C++ server code, sounds and music, books and so on. We have high ambitions; and any help is appreciated for we're not done yet. And this is the bad news; release of the very big update was scheduled for late 2010 and we won't meet this release date. We cannot do a partial release of some features because, as you can conclude from the diagrams above, the current state of Illarion is not compatible with the state of Illarion after the very big update. So, the more help we get, the sooner you can play this awesome game that is currently under development: Illarion - A new world.

Yours,
GM Estralis
Achae Eanstray

Re: What does the VB in VBU stand for?

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Thanks for the update Estralis, the amount of code and possibilities of the VBU is impressive!
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Wow Estralis, you sure know how to hype me up.

I seriously can not wait. Illarion, MY little Illarion that has always been on the back of my mind ever since my e-life is about to evolve into something massive from what I can see. It's really exciting.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

With 50,000 scripts and the game is already pretty decent, I don't see how there won't be at least some improvement with 400,000. I'm getting more and more optimistic.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

I offer free hugs to all the incredible devs and gms now.
Nerwin Weidenwind

Post by Nerwin Weidenwind »

Ausschnitt aus der Vereinssatzung

Code: Select all

§2 Zweckbestimmung
1 Zweck des Vereins ist
- die internationale, multikulturelle Begegnung von Rollenspielern
- die Förderung des multi-lingualen Rollenspiels
- die Entwicklung und der Betrieb eines für Benutzer kostenlosen, weltweit
erreichbaren Multiplayer-Online-Rollenspiels im Internet (MORPG), einschließlich
der Einrichtung und des Betriebs von Nebenanlagen (Homepages, Foren und
andere Kommunikationsplattformen)
Ich möchte das hier als Gedankenstütze hinterlegen, da einige Leute (die auch die Sprachkenntnisse besitzen würden) diesen Aspekt wohl leider nicht kennen oder vergessen haben.
Nerwin Weidenwind

Post by Nerwin Weidenwind »

Die Übersetzung ist nicht 1 zu 1.

Liebe Illarioniten,
Nitram hat einige sehr interessante Statistiken über die Entwicklung des VBU´s erstellt. Ich möchte euch einige Statistiken zeigen um euch zu zeigen warum es sich lohnt auf das VBU zu warten. Das erste Diagramm zeigt die Gesamtzahl der Lua-Script-Code Zeilen. Die Lua-Scripte sind im großen und ganzen für alle Aktionen mit denen du in der Welt Illarion interagierst (zB. Handwerk, Kämpfen, Magie, NPCs, Quests und so weiter)

Das Diagramm zeigt genau das etwas im Sommer 09 passiert ist. Ende Juni 09 startete die Entwicklung für das VBU. After a rather short planning and conception time until early autumn, we see a significant increase in total script lines. Die Entwicklungsgeschwindigkeit war schneller als jemals bevor. Seit dem Beginn des Projektes "VBU" haben sich die Script-Linien für Illarion verdoppelt. Was bedeutet das? Die Anzahl des Spielinhaltes und -fähigkeiten wird nach der Fertigstellung des VBU´s alles übertreffen was in den Jahren davor entwickelt wurde. Ihr werden viele, viele neue NPCs, Quests aber auch tolle neue Fähigkeiten und "überarbeitete" alte Fähigkeiten.

Das zweite Diagramm zeigt die gesamten Linien des Java-Codes über die ganze Zeit. Der Illarion Client, der Karten Editor und der easyNPC Editor sind mit Java geschrieben.

Wieder sehen wir einen großartigen Sprung bei der Tätigkeit. Die Entwicklung des neuen Clients, der mit dem VBU erscheinen wird, ist einer der Gründe. Wenn du mehr darüber erfahren willst wie Illarion in der Zukunft aussehen will, dann schaue dir die Screenshorts in diesem Beitrag an: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34475

Der Client ist die Haupt Java-Anwendung in Illarion, aber der easyNPC Editor und der Karten Editor sind auch sehr wichtige Entwicklungs-Programme. Bei dem Diagramm sieht man das die Anzahl der Code-Linien sich seit dem Beginn der Entwicklung des VBU´s verzehnfacht (!) haben. Wenn ihr also meint das Illarion nach dem Update [wobei ist es nicht eigentlich ein Upgrade?] das gleich Spiel mit ein paar Dingen ergänzt ist, muss ich euch aufklären. Es wird ein total neues Spiel mit der Erfahrung von vielen Jahren eingebettet in neuen Fähigkeiten und zahlreiche durch die Community vorgeschlagene Ideen.

Es muss noch Ergänzt werden das mehr gemacht worden ist außer Java Codes und Lua Scripts zu schreiben, eine massive Arbeit war im Bereich der Grafiken (Meine ich das Paperdolling), neue Karten (Dungeons usw.) C++ Codes, Geräusche und Musik, Bücher und so weiter. Wir haben hohe Bestrebungen und etwas Hilfe ist erwünscht für die Dinge die wir noch nicht erledigt haben. Und nun die Schlachte Nachricht. Das Erscheinungsdatum für das VBU war Ende 2010, wir werden es nicht schaffen. Wenn ihr euch die Diagramme anschaut muss gesagt werden das dieser aktuelle Stand nicht der gleiche sein wird wie nach dem VBU. Desto mehr Hilfe wir bekommen, desto schneller könnt ihr das aktuell in der Entwicklung befindende großartige Spiel erforschen Illarion - Eine neue Welt
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

I don't get it. Can you make a pie chart?
Flux

Post by Flux »

There is no way you can express that data in a pie chart. As you go horizontally along the graph, that shows time is passing from 2005 to the present. As the red line goes up, that shows how much code there is at each time, so you can go up from a date to the line, then left to the axis to see how many lines of code have been added. i.e. Since 2005, the amount of code in the server has multiplied by 10, and the amount of javascript has multiplied by 16.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

...it was a joke... :wink:
Flux

Post by Flux »

I'm programmed to be helpful and assume that people are incompetent by default ;) .
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Great answer though. It was clear concise and not at all condescending. I'd give that post a solid 10/10.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Flux, rustling your jimmies since 1999.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Nitram sooo made the lines on paint.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alexander Knight wrote:Nitram sooo made the lines on paint.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Llama wrote:
Alexander Knight wrote:Nitram sooo made the lines on paint.
LOL. What do you need *my* art skills for? :roll: