Feedback from new players!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Vheraun

Feedback from new players!

Post by Vheraun »

Hello everyone especially the new players,
Welcome to the illarion-community!

I appeal to all new players who are still on "Noobia" or who have already finished the tutorial.

Now we have included some "Guides" who are real players, not NPCs (http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=33476). This realisation is very young (the idea not) and we are interested in your impressions.
The whole purpose is that the guides assist the new players on their way on "Noobia" to Gobaith in addition to the NPCs there. The best help for making "Noobia" much better are your impressions.

So...what were your impressions inlcuding the roleplay with the guides? Or do you want to add some new points next to this question?
You are free to write your thoughts, feelings and pro and contra arguments about a topic that you can raise or others can raise here. We are happy about every feedback.
(Sentences like: "I was alone there. Where were the guides?" may be expected and are understandable but please keep in mind that the players cannot be there all the time for some reasons. ;))

This is not a topic of discussion and pillory. This topic is a friendly interchange between new players and the "Guides"; a possibility to communicate and work together. We are happy and curious about your thoughts. Have fun for posting here :D.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hallo an alle, vor allem an die neuen Spieler,
Willkommen in der Illarion-Gemeinde.

Ich appelliere hier an alle neuen Spieler, die noch auf dem Tutorial "Noobia" sind oder es schon hinter sich haben.

Wir haben nun ein paar "Guides" auf "Noobia" eingesetzt, die echte Spieler sind und keine NSCs (http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=33476). Diese Durchsetzung ist noch sehr jung (die Idee nicht) und wir sind daher an Eure Eindrücke auf "Noobia" interessiert.
Sinn und Zweck dieser "Guides", neben der NSCs dort, ist, die neuen Spieler auf dem Weg von "Noobia" nach Gobaith zu unterstützen.
Die beste Hilfe, "Noobia" besser zu gestalten, sind daher Eure Eindrücke.

Was waren Euren ersten Eindrücke, das Rollenspiel mit den Guides mit inbegriffen? Oder möchstest Du auch neue Punkte, neben dieser Frage, ansprechen? Sei frei deine Gedanken, Gefühle oder auch Pro- und Kontraargumente über ein neues Thema, das Du oder auch andere eröffnen können, nieder zu schreiben. Wir freuen uns über jedes Feedback.
(Sätze wie: "Ich war alleine auf Noobia. Wo sind die Guides?" sind hier zu erwarten und auch verständlich, doch man sollte immer daran denken, dass hinter den Guide wirklich Spieler stecken, die aus gewissen Gründen nicht immer da sein können. ;) )

Das hier soll zu keiner Disskussion oder einem Pranger ausarten. Dieses Topic soll einen freundlichen Austausch zwischen den neuen Spielern und den Guides sein. Es ist eine Möglichkeit der Kommunikation und der Zusammenarbeit. Also, wir sind gespannt und freuen uns auf eure Gedanken.
Habt Spaß hier zu schreiben :D.
Last edited by Vheraun on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kadana

Post by Kadana »

I suggest figuring out a way to record when a guide has already been to newbie island offering to be helpful to the poor newbie running around there. Having just gone through newbie island, I can vouch for how utterly frustrating and annoying it is, to have them keep popping up. The first one that showed up was fine, and the interaction was only mildly distracting form the "lessons" I was supposed to be learning there. And I admit, I was attempting to multi-task at the time, or I probably wouldn't have gotten annoyed just then. That was my bad. And no, I didn't (I don't think..) take my annoyance out on the helpful guide.. at the time I hadn't even realized it wasn't another newbie..

I digress I think. Again my fault, I'm letting your lovely chat room distract me.. hmm oh yes! The first guide was fine, really. But then another one came. And then another one. I began to feel like I was trapped at a used car shop, with Oh so helpful (read pushy) sales persons. I grew quite.. frustrated. I realize they were intended to be a help, in case I was having trouble. I appreciate the thought behind it. I also realize, in hind sight, that they (probably) weren't all 3 the same person, deliberately trying to drive me mad. I'm thinking now, that they probably had no way to know that a guide had already come out to see me.

So, while I realize they are meant to be a help, and someone friendly on site for you to in character get help from.. I suggest finding a way to ensure it doesn't get "over done". Help is nice, if and when needed, but there comes a point, when it becomes too much, and stops being nice, and borders on feeling pushy.
Vheraun

Post by Vheraun »

I understand you. I wouldn´t feel otherwise ;).

Too much help can be too annoying. So thank you for your critique, although you wrote it in a way of "your way" ;).
I thought about a "working- range" of the guides, I am waiting for the opinions of the others ... so be patient, that wont take much time I think.

Your other point:
Kadana wrote:The first guide was fine, really. But then another one came. And then another one. I began to feel like I was trapped at a used car shop, with Oh so helpful (read pushy) sales persons.
The "wrestling- part" was realized :lol:

To the Guides: We should rather follow this rules:

# The Noobiator ENCOURAGEs new players TO ROLEPLAY.
Because roleplay is fun. Noobiators don't need to be too serious. Tell a few jokes to lighten situations up.

# The Noobiators have NO BOREDOM WHILE WAITING for newbies.
The active noobiators are hereby encouraged to make a campfire, sit next to it, and tell tales. Or do stuff.

So, I think doing stuff is much better for the IG-ambiance. I think we shall not chase after new players and asking them: "Hello, can I help you?" or something...just doing stuff and offerthem help when they are really asking for it.

It is my proposal.

Best regards,
~Vheraun
Damien

Post by Damien »

I think i might have been the second guide, being sent there by a GM though, who might have appeared as the first guide.

My proposal : The guides should try to focus on waiting in the portal room to not distract the players from the lessons at the teacher's places.

It seems quite hard to get used to Illarion's crafting system controls when you first stumble across them, so it's understandeable that multitasking on a conversational "Hello, if you have any further questions, you can find me in the portal room" does not become an annoyance.

However, not all new ones might then be reached by the message that there are people around who they can ask stuff.
I's not a point of finding a balance, but of trying to find out if the single new people are just idle, busily figuring out stuff, or frustrated because they have problems with the system. :D
Ramie

Post by Ramie »

Greetings! I just finished Noobia as a brand-new player to Illarion. It was very late at night, so I didn't see any guides. But I didn't expect to either. :)

One thing that I found especially frustrating was figuring out how to use basic actions, such as picking cherries and cutting down a tree. I have played quite a few games ;) and I didn't expect to have difficulty there. Other than that, the area seemed fine to introduce how Illarion works. It would have been nice to see all of the crafting areas working properly, but the four that are up were fine. Unless the others are drastically different, they really aren't necessary.

The only other problem I ran across was filling up my inventory completely and then trying to guess what I might need later on so I could drop the rest. I didn't realize that you took nothing with you into the rest of the world.

I had just teleported to Troll's Bane when I had to leave. I'm eager to see and interact with the rest later in the day.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Thank you for your feedback, we are (right now!) working hard on improving the user interface of Illarion. Shift-Ctrl-Alt-clicks won't be necessary in future anymore. One hint: Almost all actions with items can be triggered with right click -> a context menu appears. The NPCs "forgot" to mention that, I suppose.

If you have any other aspects you did not consider 100% perfect, just drop a note! As mentioned above, work is in progress right now.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Do guides have a special skin or something? Something to tell the noobs; "Look, that's a staff/helper"?
Vheraun

Post by Vheraun »

@ Karl: nope

You can only RP this.