Full Name

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

David Turner

Full Name

Post by David Turner »

There are many times when a person has a long name that gets shortened to their first name but I want to see their full name for some reason. I don't know if there is a way to do this. This can cause a lot of confusion (especially when dealing with certain groups such as the knights where half their members have first-name/titles that are exactly the same).

That said, sometimes it is very convenient to only have the one name rather than having to see the entire thing every time.

My proposal is that when you normal "examine" or "examine closely" a person the message would no longer say "you see..." but "(so and so full name) appears to be...". This would allow less clutter during the normal game but also let you see their full name when wanted (and seems like a lot less coding than anything else I can think of).

Of course, this may have already been delt with in some way and I just don't know about it. If so, please let me know.
Llama

Post by Llama »

From Manual:

"To permanently display characters names (or IDs) over their heads, use the F12 key on
your keyboard to toggle between these three modes: No name display, full name display,
short name display."

Does that answer your question ?
pharse

Post by pharse »

I would propose:

possibility to give a char a custom name which is separately saved to the real name. F12 allows to toggle * ID - Full Name - First Name - Custom Name *

or

just fix it so that suffixes and prefixes are only showed with full name. For first name use only the real first name, not the prefix.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Some chars for background purposes don't want to give a full name or even the correct name so any proposal that would do this automatically may get ooc mixed with the RP. IMO the F12 button is good enough, if something MUST change, on examine I would say only what that char knows of the other char i.e. if the char doesn't know the first or last name, examine would still not show it.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Uh Jul, basically what Pharse propsed is that instead of over-writing the 'nickname' with the 'realname' you have them seperate

So if you Name a guy "Magicial Weirdo" and he later #i-s to you and is "Archmage Sir Joseph Borg D(Phil) Salkmaer, head of the Long Names Association", you can just press F12 again and have him As "Magical Weirdo"
Juliana D'cheyne

Why does that need to be changed when all you have to do is right click the char, delete the #i name by backspacing and change the name to anything you want? It is fairly rare a char will go around #i ing more then once.
Llama

Post by Llama »

You can do that? Never realised

I suppose a good use is for marking people for their professions or something. So you could have "Smith" who's real name is something long.
Juliana D'cheyne

Hadrian_Abela wrote:You can do that? Never realised

I suppose a good use is for marking people for their professions or something. So you could have "Smith" who's real name is something long.
There is only a certain amount of spaces, but say you just want their first name and not the entire title etc., just delete their last name by backspacing then write "John-makes arrows" :wink:

(PS, can't remember offhand if it is backspace, arrow or delete that erases but shouldn't be hard to figure out)

If you make a mistake and delete the entire name, I believe it will go back to the #i you originally had, will have to test it again.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

interesting idea to add a nickname option. other then that this thread seems to serve no purpose and the origional post was answered, and solved. i am not sure how dificult this would be to script but it is easily done by yourself, i don't think the devs need to do something fancy with the programming.

my solution:
on a piece of paper:
real name .... nick name
you will never know.... tanistian
vola problem solved.

anything else?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

If one name really bothers you just open names.tbl from your Illarion folder in wordpad and change it.