Staff, please..

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Damien

Post by Damien »

Well, sorry for trying to make staff decisions tasty to other players with partially own arguments mesha. Won't happen again :P
Llama

Post by Llama »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:can someone summarize this crazy thread for me? (i really don't want to read all of this)
Summery:

- "Ban people who spammed lutes" request
- "Oh noes its too overpowered"
- Damien's explanation for why it happens based solely on non-GM agreed statements
- Arguments against Damien's explanation
- Nitram's explanation of the brand new AI which utterly killed the defenders
- Minor arguments/discussions about mages being too overpowered, too much mage spam and Mesha producing crowd-control by asking for feedback
- Arguments about IC realism - mostly setting Damien's stuff down.
- You asking for a summery and getting beaten up
Damien

Post by Damien »

Well-done summary, Hadrian.
*feeds cookie to Llama*
:wink:
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Quick summary for myself:
  • We started out wrong in the first place with this quest
    • Has been noted and mentioned in an earlier thread, I have made my statement about that there
    • Feedback on that issue was good from some, but just downright destructive from others. I believe we learned from that.
  • NPC mages seem to be the biggest issue on the battle: We can look at that.
  • People spamming lutes? We have a !gm function for that I believe. :wink:
  • Server crashes != fun , however there is not much we could do about it at that time. I hope it did not interfere too much
  • Manoeuvring NPCs to the battle is pretty difficult, not in the least because they consider our GM chars targets (even though they won't attack us). Difficult to explain, you will have to believe me on this one. It provides some logistical issues. I hope we handled it at least a little bit gracefully.
  • To Taiah about other towns not helping out as much: The Prince has had it's fair share of diplomatic negotiation with them, and continues to have diplomatic negotiation with them. It seems Troll's Bane did not try very hard. And you had the steadfast orcs by your side!
  • To Vern:
    • I, in all honesty, sometimes have the same feeling. That Troll's Bane is regarded as "the noobs town", and is always disregarded in any inter-city roleplay.
    • I'm sorry if we came off as yelling about trying tactics. As you have seen, the barricades put up were, at some point, more of a nuisance than a huge help. Perhaps we can look into this while the city is still under siege.
    • I agree with all about the background: It has evolved. The orcs are not the way they are in the background, and I do not shed a tear over that. I, personally, love that. I hope we take the evolved background into account enough during our events.
    • After the war will be interesting, but I think it would be unfair to some players to talk about that right now. Just continue to give feedback and let the siege play out.
    • Scouts were not very necessary, since some were so kind to grant us maps.
To Kurga: Report your issues with random popups on your desktop and what not on the support forum. Try to be as specific as possible (when did it start happening, if you close'd them would them come back?).

To AlexRose: The server-crash is not a result of us spawning monsters next to you. I have asked about that.

Thank you for your time,

Mesha
Damien

Post by Damien »

Hmh. Scouts.
There's of course three ways (or more) to put scouts in to prepare the players of what is coming when, if that helps :

1. Simplified use player characters : Some player characters are suggested by one war fraction as "scouts". These will be taken aside. The GM checks their stats if necessary and tells them how much they find out about enemies approaching(in GM Castle or likewise places) and teleports them back after they are "done".

2. Simplified Use Player Characters : Ase above, but be done in RP manner: GM telling a situation/story in a "what do you do" manner, and the player tells what his character does, so it depends on the RP of the player how much informations he gets (or even if he gets captured or hurt trying to gather information... etc.)

3. uber-Simple version : No player scouts. Broadcast or tell the fraction leaders "The scouts report forces of X,Y and Z gathering at / approaching from x,y and z.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

*faction! I sometimes wonder what germans especially have with the word faction. There is no r in faction! Is faction (in german) spelled with an r or something? :D

Anyhow, any such initiatives (Troll's Bane wanting to use scouts or infiltrants), can be PMed to me or Alsaya. We can look at it in detail for you.
Kenneth Ladrus

Post by Kenneth Ladrus »

Mesha wrote:*faction! I sometimes wonder what germans especially have with the word faction. There is no r in faction! Is faction (in german) spelled with an r or something? :D
It's "Fraktion" in german ;)
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Now it makes sense! *suddenly remembers it's spelled fractie in dutch*
Kenneth Ladrus

Post by Kenneth Ladrus »

But you can take "Faktion" too, I think.
Whatever. Back to topic I guess.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

Just a FYI: Taiah is a scout for the Knights of Gobaith
*Taiah walks from the harbor back to Tol taking a break from her briefly volunteered duty as scout for the Knights and pauses to look at the board with silver eyes widening in dismay before whispering to someone next to her.*

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... &start=150

(..not quite understanding what is needed/wanted RP wise but am willing as far as the duty of scout)
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Again, any initiative you might want to take RP-wise, feel free to PM me.

Benevolent omnipotence is not one of my virtues. :)
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

Mesha wrote:Again, any initiative you might want to take RP-wise, feel free to PM me.

Benevolent omnipotence is not one of my virtues. :)
Sent
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Azuros wrote:Olaf, you do realize that the mages don't do those emotes by choice, right? They're automated emotes that happen whenever we cast a spell. You're right, it -does- spam up everything during big events, and I don't like them anyway. Also, how is a mage, which needs to be protected from open attacks, taking up "valuable space" by casting from behind the barricade?
yes i know they do not emote by choice :) by taking up valuable space behind the barricades i mean taking up space where the warriors with two handed weapons should stand, as i wrote and explained back there. not that we got to use the barricades for anything but cover.and mages 'are' capable of casting magic over peoples head if they were to stand two tiles behind the warriors, right? *shrugs* i think the GM's should have just taken over silently instead of every person in trollsbane going WAAAAAGH!..and whats that about orcs not supposed to be there? explain?
Damien

Post by Damien »

In german, we have :

Fraktion = A group of politicians
Faktion = A Sub-group of a political party

I think that's why we keep messing that up ! Faktion just sounds wrong to our ears in being an independent group. :D

@Olaf :
Mage's spells can only be cast at a certain distance.
Plus, if you cast a field effect spell too close to your allies, you will hit them as well.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

*sighs* then dont use field spells unless it is mass healing. easy innit?
Athian

Post by Athian »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:*sighs* then dont use field spells unless it is mass healing. easy innit?
Then don't ask for healing at all and use potions. easy innit?

Find a way to work with your mages strong points.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i didnt ask for healing a single time during the battle. mages are not the strong point in my oppinion, they are the weak point in any army. but you know thats just 'my' oppinion.
Athian

Post by Athian »

mages strong points. as in the strong points of the mages not that the mages are the strongest point... :roll:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Oh yeah mages were totally the weakpoint when they solo'd whole "squadrons" at a time in 10 seconds flat. Next time how about the mages step back and let the fighters deal with the troops on their own. Then when they're all dead you guys won't be in the way of us screaming for healing and whinging when the edges of the area spells catch you so we can get on with killing the enemies.

See, I can exaggerate too. Mages need fighters because if you're not there we've got nothing between us in the enemy and we die in seconds. Fighters need mages because mages can take out 12 enemies at once in a matter of seconds then heal you to boot.

You get the point? Mages and fighters are meant to work TOGETHER, they're not a seperate task force, and sometimes you have to make sacrifices. In this case, the sacrifice is that if a mage comes into contact with a fighter NPC and he can't run away, he's dead, and that the type of person who needs to stand behind a barrier with a two handed weapon probably isn't contributing anything anyway.

Anyway, I've posted about this in the tactics thread.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

*siiiigh* then there should be more mages and less fighters, seeing as the mages 'do' kicks ass let 'them' stand at the frontlines. they should have no problem whiping the salkamarians of the face of gobaiths map. no im not kidding and/or flaming. say 10 mages at the front with area spells that cause havoc and death should be an easy win. you win, i give up. :roll:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Olaf, mages are glass cannons.

They can blow you to little tiny bits, but the moment you're standing next to them, they're already dead.

So in the ideal case, you hide your mages such that they can blow people up, but not end up getting killed themselves.
Olive

Post by Olive »

an OOC note about an in-game issue

the prince really should stop claiming to have honor when one of the first buildings they destroyed was the hospital.

seriously, no char should think the prince has any honor left and unless you have some twisted logic you are applying ooc influence on your char to force it to fit what you want (pssst, we call that piss poor rp))

on another note

can we do something about another piss poor rp issue i had?

i was getting shoved around with no text, no rp and no warning bya few chars when my char was deliberatly blocking the way to prevent wounded chars from returning to battle. Now, olive isn't a small girl, and she was armored, you aren't going to just shove her out of the way without regard to anything.

*edit, fixed a few typos*
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

an OOC note about an in-game issue

the prince really should stop claiming to have honor when one of the first buildings they destroyed was the hospital.

seriously, no char should think the prince has any honor left and unless you have some twisted logic you are applying ooc influence on your char to force it to fit what you want (pssst, we call that piss poor rp))
You are free to try and convince characters in-game about this. Catapults are what they are, anonymous killers. You are not here to tell other people how to RP Olive, people are perfectly capable themselves to make decisions for their characters. Such comments are really unnecessary.

There is not need to make an OOC note about an in-game issue. It is what it is, an in-game issue, so leave it there.

On your second note, you could try and be more specific. You were deliberately blocking him, did you make that clear to him through your RP?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Speaking of catapults, noone destroyed the catapults, we have plenty of rocks on Gobaith, our chars should easily be able to catapult your ships as they come. Or just fire fireballs at them. It's pretty silly that our chars would easily be able to stop you from even reaching the land and yet we can't because of the ingame restrictions, but you're allowed to break those ingame restrictions and destroy our buildings.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

AlexRose wrote:Speaking of catapults, noone destroyed the catapults, we have plenty of rocks on Gobaith, our chars should easily be able to catapult your ships as they come. Or just fire fireballs at them. It's pretty silly that our chars would easily be able to stop you from even reaching the land and yet we can't because of the ingame restrictions, but you're allowed to break those ingame restrictions and destroy our buildings.
"Any initiative you may have, any at all, can be PMed to me, Mesha."
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

AlexRose wrote:Speaking of catapults, noone destroyed the catapults, we have plenty of rocks on Gobaith, our chars should easily be able to catapult your ships as they come. Or just fire fireballs at them. It's pretty silly that our chars would easily be able to stop you from even reaching the land and yet we can't because of the ingame restrictions, but you're allowed to break those ingame restrictions and destroy our buildings.
as soon as Murgo is back from his "Lost in trouble of war"-tale he will gather the orc troops. Then we will bear away all the rocks and mountains on gobaith. So the warmachines are not able to fire anymore.

proplem solved, you snivelers. :twisted:
Rincewind
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

So wait, is the staff actually supposed to take over? I kinda do and don't hope so...

Do:
1. better control/ more time IG/ don't need to ait on a gM to do interesting things.
2.. Opens up countless RP options. ( nobody knows this IG, but Jonathan Cain has a rebellion planned out rather well. bases selected, plans made, knows who to approach, etc. and I don't care if it is impossible to win, I just think it will be awesome RP to be a rebel against a GM town...)

Don'ts:
1. Many players will see it as restricting RP.
2. People will say "Ew. Change. Time to move to the Union as always."
3. not sure of a third at the moment. I'll get back to that later.

About the battle:
1. Perhaps you could have warned us to expect those mages that kicked our asses with ease?
2. Stupid musicians... :roll:
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

oh one more thing.

GMs, next time you use catapults, I suggest four logs layed in square with a fifth on kinda in the middle dirrected out the back with a pile of rocks next to it so it is existent, and guarded by a "Siege engineer regiment" (slightly weaker, these are engineers, not massdestroyers.)

I'm no artist. Use your imagination to turn below into logs to understand my catapult idea

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
|.....................]
|]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] ((()))
|.....................]
|]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

imagine ]]]]]]]] are horizontal logs
|
| would be vertical logs
|

.............. is empty space that won't really exist or matter.

that way we can actually destroy them rather than run in circles screaming that we are doomed :wink:
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

I think you just used that post to give them the finger. ^^
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Actually LOLed when I read that. Thanks taliss. Made my day worth while there. so yes! The GMs will destroy us by using Giant Middle Fingers of Death!