Food, and feeling full

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Food, and feeling full

Post by Llama »

I had brought up this idea during the economy discussion - so here it is expanded, and hopefully useful.

The basic premiss of the suggestion is : If you eat harder-to-make food, you'll use less of the food bar for every action. This is a short-term effect.

That's the basic idea behind it. If you say, can eat 25 cherries, or a cherry pie to fill you up, eating the cherry pie will mean you need to carry less food for the near-future, making good food useful to fighters, people with limited carrying capacity, and those who don't want to be interrupted. In short - many people should find this (and .: cooks) useful.

How it'll work is designed to be simple.

Every action takes Amount * (1/ FoodMultiplier)

The FoodMulitplier is a number which ranges from 1 to 3 - taking only 5 discreet values - 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3

Every food is ranked according to the difficutly of obtaining it. A script which triggers every time food is eaten, ranks the amount of food eaten of each type against a limit. For example:

Free Food [5]: Limit 20
Cheap Food [4]: Limit 10
Balanced Food [0]: Limit 10
Expensive Food [0]: Limit 5
Gourmet Food [1]: Limit 3

The Limits are different so as to cause balance (the numbers were taken simply as an example) - since you might only need to eat 2 cakes fo fill you up, or 20 cherries.

Once a person has hit the limit of eating food, all the values reset to 0. An lstate changes the food modifier, and lasts for (say) an hour.

After an hour, the modifier reverts to 1, although if another limit is hit in the meanwhile, it'll be negated and replaced.

The aim of this is SIMPLICITY, so race food doesn't come into this at all. If a halfling wants to eat vension, it should give the same effect as if it was an orc. Moreover, the rank is SIMPLY on plate difficulty, so no cryptic system.
-
Q: But won't this allow people to eat say, 19 cherries, then gulp down some expensive food and still get the bonus?

A: Yep, and I don't think its a negative idea, balanced diets after all.
---

Hope I was clear about this - its 0:15 am...sleepy.

Discuss.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

ok. sounds good. understand about 4/10 of it... but that may be from it being 1:22 in the morning here and i'm really tired. but i like this idea from what i understand. (not sure on specifics[aka numbers ext.], but like general concept)
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Interesting concept. Gives more incentive to do something other than just eating cherries and apples all day.
Not 100% understand of what all this means though
The FoodMulitplier is a number which ranges from 1 to 3 - taking only 5 discreet values - 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 or 3

Every food is ranked according to the difficutly of obtaining it. A script which triggers every time food is eaten, ranks the amount of food eaten of each type against a limit. For example:

Free Food [5]: Limit 20
Cheap Food [4]: Limit 10
Balanced Food [0]: Limit 10
Expensive Food [0]: Limit 5
Gourmet Food [1]: Limit 3
Llama

Post by Llama »

Right, now that I'm all rested up.

The multiplier reduces the amount of food you need for each action, up to one third. (So your food bar lasts 3 times as much)

To decide how much value the multiplier gets, the game keeps a list of the type ('how hard it is to make') of food you eat, and compares it with a limit.

Let me give a worked example.

Assume cherries are free food, with a limit of 20
Assume rolls are 'cheap food', with a limit of 10
-
Character X has a multiplier of 1 at the moment, the default. (Yes I don't want people to take penalities for not eating well. People like boni)

He starts to eat cherries, he eats 15 of them. Nothing different happens. He then finds some bread rolls, and eats 11 of them.

As soon as he reached '10', the multiplier changed to 1.5, and will stay 1.5 for an hour (or until replaced).

The 'amount' of all get reset to 0.

So if he eats another 15 cherries, nothing will happen. He can eat 5 more bread rolls if he wishes, but once he hits the limit for cherries (eating 20), then the script will re-run, and reduce his multiplier to 1 again.

Better?
pharse

Post by pharse »

Something like this is already on my to-do list. But I won't really continue this work for ~1 month (exams). Additionally there are some other things that I'll do first.

So if another developer feels like breaking in this stuff and realizing it, go ahead. Otherwise don't expect any further responses from my side.
Kail Revira

Post by Kail Revira »

i love it, great idea and no further comment
Llama

Post by Llama »

pharse wrote:So if another developer feels like breaking in this stuff and realizing it, go ahead.
I'm a bit unsure on how to keep variables saved for characters (and how to call scripts [is Lua OO?]), otherwise I'd work on this if y'all like it so much.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

Do not make the diet system more complicated!

Your idea is nice, but does neither increase fun nor anything else IG.

Balance out the "filling values" of the food items correctly, than the economical point should be solved easily (e.g. free food fills only 0,5% of the food bar, smoked food 2% and cooked/baked food 10% - 90%).

Just my opinion.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Ragorn wrote:Do not make the diet system more complicated!

Your idea is nice, but does neither increase fun nor anything else IG.
Its not making the diet system any more complicated, its INDEPENDANT of the long-term diet system, this is for short term.

It should increase the use of cooks IG, since now, you can get a SHORT TERM bonus to how much effective food bar you have.

Its not making anything more complex, you can go eat all the free food you like and you'll never have any negative effect. But if you want that little bonus before you go spend a while hunting or something, then find a cook.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:I'm a bit unsure on how to keep variables saved for characters (and how to call scripts [is Lua OO?]), otherwise I'd work on this if y'all like it so much.
You can use Lua as OOPL, but for Illarion's purposes it just mostly doesn't fit or it would overcomplicate things (only the crafting system is oop).

Also note that I had something like this in mind, not exactly this proposal. If you get a go from other devs, alright. You might contact Estralis on this too.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I like the idea with the assumption as it is presented that the original/free food will not be reduced, that only the cooked food will be expanded (it is already strange ignoring the RP of eating 5-8 apples after only one fight ) ON condition the script won't take away from other aspects of the game. My only concern at present is.. we STILL have crafts that aren't earning anything. I really would like to concentrate on some of them. The idea as a whole however is nice.