Question about rping vs income

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tlevnon

Question about rping vs income

Post by Tlevnon »

Ok I am an elven ranger I understand that there is alot of concern about people crossing borders concerning making money and staying in character as far as your professions. My Question I have is that as a ranger what would be the best suited way for me to make an income to finance my need for weapons clothing and hunting materials to protect the land. Am i supposed to stick to just being a ranger and run out of my supplies or is there certain professional attributes that we who are not actual miners or tradesmen allowed to puruse in the intrest of keeping the integrity of the role playing consistent.
Mairae Auvria

Post by Mairae Auvria »

Well, if you want to train to fight, the Ranger can help keep monsters away from the innocent by fighting in the graveyard or other places. That would be money for your char. If want to craft, Possibly a Ranger can clear the dense trees from some areas and make their own arrows and bows. I would think you could probably think of a good RP reason for most things you decide to do.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

RP'ing an elven Ranger offers several possibilities:

Hunting:
Sell Rabbit meat - many need it.
Sell Wolf Furs - Good money for them at the Harbor.
Collect coins from critters.
Herb Lore - Druids and some NPC's buy herbs. Easy work for some coin.

Carpentry:
You'll need arrows, but could make things to sell as well. The elves of Vanima are into Carpentry, so it fits. Just be respectful to how many and where you cut trees. Maybe even learn enough 'Farming' to re-plant trees?

Tailoring:
Collecting leathers from Pigs will allow you to make Leather armors with Tailoring. Surely making your own armor (sell some others) will be appropriate.

Cooking:
Rangers often have to cook for themselves when in the wilderness. Nothing special, but Rabbit dishes could be a main occupation, and very profitable when sold to others at 18 coppers each! Just need to find a farmer who can supply you with Onions and a carpenter for plates.

In my opinion, all of these will fit in with your RP, as long as you can see your character 'doing' them. Just because you do 'tailoring' doesn't mean you make dresses! Each craft has elements appropriate for everyone's RP. Just use 'parts' that are good for your RP. Crafts are tools, meant to enhance RP, not go against it. Keep this in mind, and you'll have fun.