Illarion Awards lock

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Misjbar

Illarion Awards lock

Post by Misjbar »

Slipped off to spam - as always. Rolling Eyes
Seriously, there were 2 or three posts that didn't "fit" the topic so much, but did it really derail the topic? The last post was even on-topic. Take a chill-pill, please. A vacation perhaps.
JonathanSmith

Re: Illarion Awards lock

Post by JonathanSmith »

Misjbar wrote:
Slipped off to spam - as always. Rolling Eyes
Seriously, there were 2 or three posts that didn't "fit" the topic so much, but did it really derail the topic? The last post was even on-topic. Take a chill-pill, please. A vacation perhaps.
No vacation. The moderators should be taught, how to remove the writing permissions from some forum accounts immediately.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

That is not possible for a moderator, would be nice, but not within our rights.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Keikan Hiru wrote:That is not possible for a moderator, would be nice, but not within our rights.
Your not allowed to instantly block someone? I've seen it done before.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

He is talking about writing permissions.
So I take it he wants the account to be able to access the board, read topics but not write in them.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Although there is not a system for this, you could implant a verbal form of one. "Post in the off topic privileges have been revoked for one month." This makes it possible for people to use there forum account for IG things, even though the offense did not happen in the rp/guild threads.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

I also do believe that Arien locks topics way, way, way too often.

Instead of punishing everyone because a few persons are spamming, how about punishing the few persons who are spamming and leaving everyone else be?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Yeah, then we won't get wasted bandwidth for threads like these.

-Matt
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

LifeWonder wrote: Instead of punishing everyone because a few persons are spamming, how about punishing the few persons who are spamming and leaving everyone else be?
You don't know how often I have to delete spam.
Those persons notice that not even, I fear.
I can ban them from the board, of course - but now I 'll do it with YOUR help. Perhaps they listen to you if they don't want to listen to me.
All those who are innocent should act on the spammers and flamers that they stop it - and I'm never forced to close a thread again or to ban a poster.

I'll give it in your hands now - shall I ban them without indulges or do you want to assist me?
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Arien Edhel wrote:
LifeWonder wrote: Instead of punishing everyone because a few persons are spamming, how about punishing the few persons who are spamming and leaving everyone else be?
You don't know how often I have to delete spam.
Those persons notice that not even, I fear.
I can ban them from the board, of course - but now I 'll do it with YOUR help. Perhaps they listen to you if they don't want to listen to me.
All those who are innocent should act on the spammers and flamers that they stop it - and I'm never forced to close a thread again or to ban a poster.

I'll give it in your hands now - shall I ban them without indulges or do you want to assist me?
How do we "help"? This isn't kindergarden Arien, we can't point at them and go "DUNCE! HAHA." And they'll feel ashamed and cower in a corner and behave nice.

No, just ban. With moderation.
JonathanSmith

Post by JonathanSmith »

This IS a kindergarden sometimes.

Arien, closing threads should be the last instrument. Why not simply remove the WRITING rights to the complete forum from the children's forum accounts? First time, for 1 week, second time for 1 month, third time forever. No warnings needed. No large explanations needed. We have the OOC section for useless and unsubstantial postings. Don't waste our time by forcing us to look over a large amount of unsubstantial postings. This also includes postings from moderators like "stop spamming", "last warning, or I close the thread", etc.

WE can't help with this. This is the task of the moderators, in my opinion.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Encouraging vigilantism is about the last thing a moderator should be doing.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

there are no writing rights that could be removed for single persons.

We can:
Remove the writing rights for everyone
Ban a single one from the entire board

Nothing else.
Ivar Kraftimarm

Post by Ivar Kraftimarm »

there are some other moderator tools in a forum. for example you can use the "split" (don't know if it's split, in german it's "Teilen") tool and take the spam posts in off topic.

i postet about this before in german for some month. i think also it's very annoying if you close so much threads. i think closing threads is totaly wrong in the case of spam, sorry.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Ivar Kraftimarm wrote:there are some other moderator tools in a forum. for example you can use the "split" (don't know if it's split, in german it's "Teilen") tool and take the spam posts in off topic.

i postet about this before in german for some month. i think also it's very annoying if you close so much threads. i think closing threads is totaly wrong in the case of spam, sorry.
My point exactly.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Ivar Kraftimarm wrote:[...]and take the spam posts in off topic.
Where I will delete them anyway.
Thanks for doubleing the work.
Ivar Kraftimarm

make a spam forum :roll:

as you can see, your work is senseless. there will be spam and you can't prevent it with the closing of threads. for every thread you close, you have two new spam threads. that is really work. if you make a spam forum, you don't have to look in it.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Or not. Why does Illarion have to pay for your bandwidth so you can write "blah blah fart cock monkeys" on a whim? This isn't 4chan and it shouldn't be. If you want to spam, 4chan is still there for that.

My suggestion stands at:

Ban the worst offenders. First start with a temp board ban, work up to a full ban including a ban from the game.

Chill out otherwise. Too much locking, post edits, and hollering will cause rebellion and trolling.
Ivar Kraftimarm

Aegohl wrote: Ban the worst offenders. First start with a temp board ban, work up to a full ban including a ban from the game.
and lose players...
why not a spam forum with automtic deletion after two weeks? it is absolutely no work.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

This might suprise you, but most Spammers are only forum lurkers who are not actually playing.

On the other hand, a hostile forum with trolling, flaming and spamming, infact does turn away players.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Nitram wrote:there are no writing rights that could be removed for single persons.

We can:
Remove the writing rights for everyone
Ban a single one from the entire board

Nothing else.
I'm pretty sure phpBB supports disabling writing priviledges to some extent, it may require some work but I do not see how this isen't do-able. A better answer is "This would be possible, if we had the time to stop developing the game to upgrade the forums, which do you want?"

Keikan Hiru wrote:This might suprise you, but most Spammers are only forum lurkers who are not actually playing.

On the other hand, a hostile forum with trolling, flaming and spamming, infact does turn away players.
True Story.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Es würde vielleicht auch helfen wenn der Moderator der den Lock vornimmt,
die Englisch geschriebenen Aussagen genau verstehen würde.

Ich fühl mich nicht schuldig und kann gerne per PM eine Übersetzung und Erläuterung der betroffenen Posts anbieten die schnell klärt wer genau "zu bestrafen" wäre.

Edit vom Beitragsschreiber: Asche über mein Haupt, ich hab die zweite Seite weiter unten garnicht gelesen und dachte es dreht sich um die 2 Beiträge die ich verfasst hab. Ich ziehe diese Nachricht hier zurück.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Aegohl wrote:Or not. Why does Illarion have to pay for your bandwidth so you can write "blah blah fart cock monkeys" on a whim?
Because text takes a lot of bandwidth? Text with very little formatting tools (like BBcode) doesn't use up a lot of bandwidth. I think a picture is heavier on the server then most of the forum.
-

Re: Topic -

Lets put it this way.

Someone starts a topic. People spam. Who's getting angry? The person who started the topic and anyone who's serious about it. Right?

So the solution is OBVIOUS, lock the topic, therebye making the above mentioned people even MORE angry. And obviously the spammers (who wouldn't really care about the topic itself) go off to find another topic.

This is like amputating your nose when you have a cold.

Seriously, unless the topic turns to flaming, spam isn't hurting anyone, especially if its KEPT IN A SINGLE TOPIC.

Discuss?
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Aegohl wrote:Or not. Why does Illarion have to pay for your bandwidth so you can write "blah blah fart cock monkeys" on a whim? This isn't 4chan and it shouldn't be. If you want to spam, 4chan is still there for that.

My suggestion stands at:

Ban the worst offenders. First start with a temp board ban, work up to a full ban including a ban from the game.

Chill out otherwise. Too much locking, post edits, and hollering will cause rebellion and trolling.
I don't like it when people assume I go on 4chan because I express myself in images. ;<
Olive

Post by Olive »

seems to me the simplest solution is just to delete the offending posts

and it IS possible to add and remove single forum category permisions, you just need to have the motivation to do so :)
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Olive wrote:seems to me the simplest solution is just to delete the offending posts

and it IS possible to add and remove single forum category permisions, you just need to have the motivation to do so :)
It could well be alot of work to change the writing permissions to be editable by mods. The forum software is nearly seven years old.
Olive

Post by Olive »

actually its almost no work at all, just using properly defined usergroups
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

As far as I know, members of groups can leave them at any time.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

I'm actually pretty sure locked groups can be created.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

You are wrong turny.