Attributes' Effects

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Basal

Attributes' Effects

Post by Basal »

Hello,

I want to ask about the attributes you are made to select during character creation. I searched the forums and the wiki reading all I could, but I am still relatively confused about what attributes do what. Other games I have played always clearly state the effects of such important things as attributes, and I think it would help a lot of people to know such information.

Does dexterity affect your chance to hit during fighting? Does it increase your damage with weapons like daggers and bows?

Does agility really make you run faster over terrain? (because I haven't noticed a difference)

Does essence protect you from magic or does willpower? Does essence or willpower give you magical damage? (I have read posts saying both things)

Does perception affect your chance to hit with all weapons or just bows? (Again I have read both) Does perception increase your damage with bows? Does it increase your chance for critical damage?

Does intelligence really make your tactics skill more effective? (Read this, but doesn't really make sense to me)

Finally, does strength affect the damage of all weapons including bows?

Thank you for your time and I hope my questions were clear.
Nitram
Developer

Re: Attributes' Effects

Post by Nitram »

Basal wrote:Does dexterity affect your chance to hit during fighting? Does it increase your damage with weapons like daggers and bows?
The more dexterity you have the better you can use speed and dexterity focused weapons like daggers, bows and swords. Also its the main attribute for crafting. So the more dexterity you have, the better you can create things.
Basal wrote:Does agility really make you run faster over terrain? (because I haven't noticed a difference)
In theory it does. But there is a speed hardlimit that limits your speed on "highspeed" ground. But you will notice a difference to "slow" characters on "slow" ground. Like rocks or forest ground.
Basal wrote:Does essence protect you from magic or does willpower? Does essence or willpower give you magical damage? (I have read posts saying both things)
Essence is for the magical defence (what is slightly bugged currently, so do not expect a real effect at this. Willpower and essence, along with intelligence are the indicators for the damage a mage is able to cause.
Basal wrote:Does perception affect your chance to hit with all weapons or just bows? (Again I have read both) Does perception increase your damage with bows? Does it increase your chance for critical damage?
It does not increase your chance for a critical hit. But it increases the rate you will hit your target. The more perception (and dexterity) you have, the harder your hits are to dodge. And for bows its the main attribute to hit anything.
Basal wrote:Does intelligence really make your tactics skill more effective? (Read this, but doesn't really make sense to me)
Yes it does.
Basal wrote:Finally, does strength affect the damage of all weapons including bows?
Yes.

Nitram
Basal

Post by Basal »

Thank you for your prompt reply Nitram.
wiki wrote:1.8 Willpower

This attribute is primarily a gauge of how resistant your mind is. Your ability to resist magic and to endure hardship uses this attribute.
Nitram wrote: Essence is for the magical defence (what is slightly bugged currently, so do not expect a real effect at this.
Based on what you said, the wiki should be edited as to avoid confusion.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Don't worry. Most of the articles I've read on fighting in the wiki are wrong.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Julius wrote:Don't worry. Most of the articles I've read on fighting in the wiki are wrong.
Eh....change them?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Honestly I don't think such info aside from very basic stuff should be on the wiki at all.

Not that I actually checked what was on there.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Julius wrote:Don't worry. Most of the articles I've read on fighting in the wiki are wrong.
Yes, then change the wrong parts. On the other hand: The fighting system is changing often, and the official information are quite rare.

And like Kevin said: The Wiki should be no "how to make the uber-fighter" guide, but a basic guideline (this means totally wrong information should be corrected there).
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Essence is something I wonder what it really is. As it seem to another post it is a bit like charisma or something like that, but as I think of it then it is more of how creative you are (like those who makes art and so on...), and how strong you are in the soul when it comes to unatural things such as magic. What does it reallly mean in this game?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I wondered what essence was for long in the past too, I think it is the ability to deal with magical things?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

First of there is nothing unnatural in magic in Illarion, magic isthe foundation of this world, itlies in everything and everything is made out of "mana", but anyway essence itself should be the connection of ones body to the streams of magic, thus repleshing your mana faster.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Pellandria wrote:First of there is nothing unnatural in magic in Illarion, magic isthe foundation of this world, itlies in everything and everything is made out of "mana", but anyway essence itself should be the connection of ones body to the streams of magic, thus repleshing your mana faster.
Everything is made out of mana? Where does it say that in the backgroundstory?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Its logical.. everything is made out of the 5 elements, you could very well say its like our periodic system of elements, only that we got like 5 main elements, which only sligthly change instead of 109(or was it 115?) completly different elements.
As Magic itself is used to create those elements..yes than you can say everything is made out of mana.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Again, where does it say that magic itself is used to create those elements? I always viewed it as magic was used to CONTROL those elements.

Anyway, we should be holding such a discussion ingame, between different parties (elves versus mages! Mages versus mages!). Would be interesting by the way, a great debate about our origins, about the elements and everything else.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

This is the elves view of magic, atleast as far as I understand it, Gods created the streams/magic/mana however you want to call it and from these the elements are ~created~ in our world and then every living being "creates" mana to feedthe streems again..its like investing money and slowly gaining interest back..
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Basal wrote:Thank you for your prompt reply Nitram.
wiki wrote:1.8 Willpower

This attribute is primarily a gauge of how resistant your mind is. Your ability to resist magic and to endure hardship uses this attribute.
Nitram wrote: Essence is for the magical defence (what is slightly bugged currently, so do not expect a real effect at this.
Based on what you said, the wiki should be edited as to avoid confusion.
Hmm....funny no-one changed it. I remember writing that myself...it was at a time when the Wiki just got started, and people were begging to have 'something' , anything posted. There were no 'specifics' about what the attributes did. It was always assumed the definitions would be changed.

Everyone that wrote for the Wiki probably did it before many changes IG now, and without "Good" ideas of the specifics. Like you, we had to Guess about effects of attributes, etc. We all tried our best, and very few I noticed, go back and update the information. I don't play a Mage character........wouldn't touch that "failed" system with a ten foot Pole IMO, but I must say, Nitram's definition is the most "Specific" I have ever heard.

If you all allowed the definition to remain "unchanged" for more than a year, it's no-one's fault but your own. If your not willing to fix it, don't complain about it.

8)
Mark Strongarm

Post by Mark Strongarm »

If your not willing to fix it, don't complain about it.
Quote of the day.
Wieland

Post by Wieland »

Hallo, ich habe auch ein paar Fragen zu den Attributen.
vieleicht wurden diese weiter ober auch schon beantwortet, jedoch konnte ich selbst mit Übersetzungsprogramm nur schwer dem Text folgen.

Im Allgemeinen interessieren mich die Auswirkungen der Attribute.

Ich weiss, das Stärke beinflusst wieviel man tragen kann, und wie viel Schaden man mit einer Waffe anrichtet.
Aber gilt das auch für Fernwaffen?

Und welche Auswirkungen haben die anderen Attribute wie
-Essens
-Willenskraft
-Geschicklichkeit
-Geschwindigkeit
-Ausdauer
-Wahrnehmung
und Intelligenz

Ich würde mich über eine ausfühlich Auflistung sehr freuen, da ich dann zum Beispiel wüsste, ob ein Kämpfer Willenskraft benötigt, oder ob dies nur für Magier zutrifft.
Und die Attributsverteilung währe einfacher auf einen Char. abzustimmen.

Weiterhin interessiert mich noch wie es sich mit dem Ernährungsbonus auf die Ausdauer verhällt, wenn man 19 Punkte auf Ausdauer hat.
Kann der Wert auf über 20 Steigen, oder ist bei einem Zwerg ab 20, bzw. bei einem Ork schon ab 19 Punkten schluss?
Kann man mit dem gute/schlechte Tage System und dem Ernährungsbonus auch 3 Punkte mehr erreichen?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Wieland wrote:Ich weiss, das Stärke beinflusst wieviel man tragen kann, und wie viel Schaden man mit einer Waffe anrichtet.
Aber gilt das auch für Fernwaffen?
Für Fernwaffen ist Wahrnehmung meine ich DAS Attribut, wohl gefolgt von Geschick. Stärke wohl kaum bis granicht.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:I wondered what essence was for long in the past too, I think it is the ability to deal with magical things?
From my understanding of 'essence' its how 'special' you are magically. How well you can notice and control mana, how in tune you are with cosmic forces so to speak.
pharse

Post by pharse »

@Wieland:

Stärke wirkt sich auch auf Fernkampfschaden aus.

Essenz: Widerstand gegen magische Dinge. Regeneration von Mana.

Willenskraft: Kontrolle über magische Dinge (zB bessere Wirkung von Sprüchen). allgemeines "Durchsetzungsvermögen"

Geschicklichkeit: Wichtig für Handwerker (++), Bogenschützen (++) und andere Kämpfer (+).

Geschwindigkeit ("Beweglichkeit"): Alles verbraucht MovePoints (MP). Dieses Attribut steuert, wie schnell die MP sich regenerieren. (zB Laufen über Waldboden, Schlagabfolge). Außerdem wichtig für Stichwaffen und Fernkampf.

Ausdauer ("Konstitution"): Regeneration von Lebenspunkten. Resistenz gegen physischen Schaden und Krankheiten.

Wahrnehmung: wichtig für alles, das eben gute Augen verlangt. zB Kampf, vor allem Fernkampf und Stichwaffen, clientseitige Berechnung der sichtbaren Objekte (vor allem, wenn es bald richtig dunkel wird...), PlayerInforms (erkennen, was jemand am Körper/Gürtel trägt) etc.

Intelligenz: Vorteile beim Lernen, alle Magiearten, Taktikskill für Kämpfer.

--

Den Attributen ist nach oben keine Grenze gesetzt, unabhängig von der Rasse.

Die Boni der verschiedenen Systeme sind additiv. In deinem Beispiel kann man also +4 auf Konstitution bekommen.

--

Das sind nur die grundlegenden Auswirkungen der Attribute. Kommende Features können diese noch in anderer Weise einsetzen. zB ist für das Fesselsystem Stärke, Beweglichkeit und Geschicklichkeit wichtig.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I've started a basic draft in word of the attribute effects that I know from testing them. If anyone wants to see it, send me a dov.. pm.
Julius

Post by Julius »

I wanted to point out that I'm continuing to work on the list and will send it to the ones that asked (I think I got 10 pms over it. :shock:) when it is finished.
Basal

Post by Basal »

Why don't you just post your results from your testing of the attributes' effects here? That way you don't have to PM it 10 times and the devs can tell you if it is correct or not.