@ Chester and Rugh

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Arien Edhel

@ Chester and Rugh

Post by Arien Edhel »

Because of the lost server I send you back to town at the moment.
We will finish the discussion later.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

OK, thank you. I do want to finish our discussion, but if everything's fine I'm Ok with what we said. You got the basics of the situation.

I just want PO Rugh to know that it wasn't personal and tell him I'm sorry it happened. I would feel the same way in his situation, it sucks.

I'm sorry, but I have to go for now to go back to work. Lunchbreak is over. I can be available to finish this tomorrow 6pm GMT if you need to?

PO Chester
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

Thanks Arien for your efforts so far.

I'll send you and Chester a PM where all details and the log are in.

@ Chester: I know it was nothing personal, since you do not know myself in RL nor Rugh IG at all. ;-) Thanks for stating anyway.

From my point if view it's nothing personal neither, but a precedent of what GM want this game to be like...still a RP game or some kind of Wow?

Thanks and all the best,
PO Rugh
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Wow - I like those adult and mature behaviour.
Thanks to both of you!

I try to be there tomorrow night.
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

I am afraid I won't be available tomorrow at 6 pm. It's my turn to be on my home from work then ;-)
But I'll come online as soon as possible.

Should we meet in IRC then?
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Umm...I don't know how to use IRC....don't even know what that is really, hehe :D

we can talk by MSN though if you like, or just meet IG again. I leave it to you two.

Tomorrow anytime between 6pm-8pm GMT should be fine.

Thanks
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

I suggest to meet us tomorrow on sunday.

I can be IG at any time of the day.

Juniper and Arien, do you prefer any time?

Regards,
PO Rugh
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Chester and me came to the agreement that we don't need further discussions about the incidence.
It's all said in the pm's - and nothing really happend 'cause of the servercrash.

Do you agree, too?
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

Actually this whole issue was not about the IG consequences which might have happened without the server crash.

This was about the kind of RP the staff would like to see.
This was about drawing a line between the extent of engine using and roleplay.
Unfortunately it seems the engine comes first.

Lesson learnt.
Topic closed.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Rugh'toh wrote:Actually this whole issue was not about the IG consequences which might have happened without the server crash.

This was about the kind of RP the staff would like to see.
This was about drawing a line between the extent of engine using and roleplay.
Unfortunately it seems the engine comes first.

Lesson learnt.
Topic closed.
The engine never comes first. There's rules in place to limit engine play. The engine is there to enhance RP, make our characters more real, to be able to do what they say they can do. Every update causes more 'difficulty' on pure engine play, not less.

What this is about is "How much RP" is considered enough, before "Cntrl-Click". I say enough was done considering the circumstances, you say not. It's been argued since Illa started in 2000.

This discussion has been started many times in 'Player's threads' and yet the answer lies in making a rule 'defining RP before an attack'. However, there are many differences of opinion on that among the staff. It's not something you and me can try to solve in a meeting with one GM.

Our 'issue' was solved with the server crash. It's best to just go on, and continue as if nothing happened.

Hope we meet under different circumstances next time. I think you have good RP skills and a mature sense of right/wrong. Actually, it would be nice if more players were as 'noble'. Our problem started because of the fact that we play a game in which most players are not. So we reacted to each other differently. We both made mistakes, and we'll both improve.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Lennier wrote:Keep following in mind. The developers try to create a more or less realistic complex game to roleplay. To use the engine in right way is part of roleplay.

If you play a miner you also would use the engine to get ores. Yo do not type "#me got 2 ores by mining". You get your ores by shift+click on pickaxe in direction of a right rock.

To roleplay via writing an own fictive reality is fine - as long as it happens inside the engine based reality and their rules. If you go too far and create more than the engine can support you could risk to fall deep, when your roleplay stay against changes of the engine.

The engine is the basement of the common roleplay. It improves fair roleplay by giving important informations to all in same way. Handle with it or make your roleplay in a chat. Illarion is not a chat. It is a graphical game with a given complex environment.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Apropos: Same with fights. I do not know when this trend came up that serval sub-groups of this community began to fight only during typing it on the keyboard like to chat. Noone should be threaten because he uses the given engine. That's the sense of the engine - To use it.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Wow, thanks Alex. I never read that quote from Lennier before.
:D
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Well, the content of that older posting is quite logical and nothing new - you could summerize it like: "Using the engine in a right way is part of the roleplay".

I don't know the details of that incident, but the balance between Engine and "pure" RP is often complex.

PS: "One must not spoil the fun of others playing this game."