Crafting Request

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pocal

Crafting Request

Post by Pocal »

Can either the Wiki be updated or a click command be added that can tell you what you will need to craft an item?

Now that I've come back to this new crafting system, I dont know what I need for things, like pins and cotter, where I can make pins, but see nothing about cotters, and the Wiki has nothing for "pins and cotter" and only a picture for "pins".
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

That is part of being a crafter... you have to hone your skills. This is why N3WBs should become apprentices to better crafters so they know what to do properly. Find this stuff out ig. Sorry if it sounds harsh but tis my opinion.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

only prob i have with that is if he is actually good and only doesn't know what to do now because of the update. (i had that prob) however it shouldn't be on wiki for every N3WB to get access to. they should have a master teaching them. however i don't know the answer to this so i am afraid i cannot help you.
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

My skill in smithing is light blue, I started this char in 2006/7 sometime. Back then it didnt take 50 clicks and like 10 different materials for one item...

Man, I hate to say it, but this crafting system, is kinda crappy.

How did the first people find out what materials were needed ahead of time? Just trial and error? I mean, i have seen systems where you can find out for any item thats makeable what needs to be made, but you still need a certain level of skill to attempt it, which Illa still does...

I dont see why we cant say that someone has gone and made a book listing the requirements of each item. Still means you need to work on the skill to put them all together.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

if you are light blue your still a skilled apprentice. and should still be taught. the new system actually allows you to make fewer items of better quality with the same amount learned. find out ig and stop whining. we don't want a place where all the answers can be found because then N3WB's would have free reign on everything without any rp.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Benefits of the new crafting system:

1. Less Items in-game with higher quality.
2. Requirement of crafters to deal with other crafters for essential goods (e.g. carpenter makes a sword handle need for swords and smith makes nails needed for certain carpentry goods)
3. Which should be number one but I am not doing this on an importance scale. YOU CAN RP WHILE YOU CRAFT WOOT WOOT!
4. Items take longer to make but have a lower fail rate so you no longer have to use so many resources to get an item of considerable value. Of course this depends on your skill and dexterity as always.
5. I no longer have to shift+click my pickax then shift+click a rock every time I want a piece of ore. Same for lumberjacks, sand diggers, clay diggers, herb pickers, and all the other raw source gathers I left out.
6. I can leave an item to work on later.
7. I can repair my armor and wares.
8. Overall price of items increases.

Crappy was the system of old my wrist used to throb when I played my crafter character.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

It may be a roleplaying game, but don't take the fun out of it people.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

Retlak wrote:It may be a roleplaying game, but don't take the fun out of it people.
QFT
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Items that take many items, you either aren't good enough to make that item in an ok quality, or you are making an armor.
pins and cotters when made perfectly. You need your carving tools, 2 branches, and 5 pins. Pins are made with smiths from iron ingots using a regular hammer. OR! You could buy the pins and cotters (you will only get 1 per 8 coins) from an npc in Troll's bane.
The crafting system is rather simple once you get the hang of it.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

atleast it tells us what ingredients we are missing...

In the old system i spent HOURS upon HOURS trying to find out what goddamn ingredient was needed to make swords. Before a gm FINALLY told me that sword handles are uncraftable and not ingame...
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Salathe wrote:atleast it tells us what ingredients we are missing...
Yes, and that's the answer to the initial posting, I guess.

PS: Not all things in the "new" crafting system are perfect (e.g. the forced use of static tools for everything and some senseless, but needed "ingredients"), but all in all it is much better than the old one.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I'm kinda beating a dead horse now, but i must say i play this game in great part because of the well structured and complex crafting system.

This system now can rival with most of the others around, and with the funcionalities for new items and scripts be added at anytime it can only get better. (still a bit of time untill it can be up to par with EVE online though)

The obrigatoriety of roleplay the learning process, be becoming an aprentice is limiting of rp IMO, but i disagree there should be such extensive spoilers on the wiki. The system is logical, and it doesn't take much for you to be able to guess what wood certain part will use and what parts certain item will use.

My only bad critic to the crafting gameplay right now whould be how containers are handled, and the lack of possibilities to get more easily acessable stores where you can place the several types of items. But i'm sure once enough shops are built will be easy for a crafter to rent them from the city with {static}depots that can be locked and whose contents are acessed by anyone that can open it.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:They should have a master teaching them.
Let's get teachers to rp teaching you how to hold an axe, whisper, sneak, talk, wash, fish and eat.

Teacher student rp can be nice, but try finding a teacher that is willing to waste his time on you if you're new to rp, aren't on on very regular times for people that speak your language, whatever.
And not everyone wants to abide by a million of these 'rules' because many of them are annoying, overly time consuming, and not everyone likes to rp all the time.
They wanted to scrap magic needing teachers(at least lower level magic) because there where not enough teachers who stayed active, now crafting may have more practitioners but I don't think more of them are willing to teach than mages are.

Bye 'N3WB'. :P

Thread done plzk?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:
Let's get teachers to rp teaching you how to hold an axe, whisper, sneak, talk, wash, fish and eat.
They did, its called newbie island ;)

And to my knowledge aside from 'sneak', 'wash' and 'eat', all are there.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Kevin Lightdot wrote:
They did, its called newbie island ;)

And to my knowledge aside from 'sneak', 'wash' and 'eat', all are there.
It's the thought that counts.
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

Well, I probably will just end up killing Rogan or turn him into a fighter now then, because honestly, I don't like this system.

I'm an older dwarf, came from a family of smiths originally (though I have no backstory, I think I RP'd him back in the day as that), lived in Silverbrand for a while with other dwarves, smithed for the war against Retlak and his skeletons while they attacked TB and we hid in Grey Rose...

He's seen so much, and at least on his travels away for what, a year, at least, would probably have been still crafting and such and know how the world suddenly has changed how to make things and such...

Its plain stupid to me, I think, that things have to be kept secret. Knowing a recipe for something is game-breaking how?

If I know the recipe ahead of time for a magical serinjah sword but can't make it for X Skill gains, why would it be bad to say, stockpile those ingredients for when I can? Couldn't I assume IG that since I know a serinjah sword's ingredients and what makes a magical longaxe magical, that I could IG have assumed what would need to be used, to explain my OOC knowledge of it?

Or, as I suggested for the wiki, why can't we say someone on Gobaith has written down all the ingredients for all the crafts and published it?
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

First off, magical weapons cannot be crafted anymore. Second, this stuff is not hard to find out ig and does not require ooc information. Serinjah-sword=like one to two iron ingots and one sword handle . :? Seriously, it is not that big of a pain to find out.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

The crafting system tells you what you need next, what are you complaining about huh, once you make it you can writte it sown, I see a new Item more as a idea, you never know before what you mgiht need but in the middle of producing your char might think "hey it would be a nice idea to place this there and this there".
Its mroe your failure to roleplay, not a systemflaw.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Use one of these.

I hate this system as well, Pocal. I don't hate it for the reasons you do, but it makes it where the engine rps for you. All these new updates have made it hard for you to rp your char. #me starts or continues to work is the most annoying thing I have ever seen in my life (In illarion, besides the whining. That gets old too).
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

The new system in that it actually tells you what you need is wonderful! IMO MUCH better then the old which if you are new and are trying to find someone to ask/apprentice can be frustrating. There were also some chars that seemed to think even ig the "materials" used and how to were some form of "secret" thing LOL.

The system of "fails in your work", "continues the work" IMO needs adjusting. The "fails in your work" is fine, though if fairly unskilled in the craft you might as well forget the RP aspect. When more skilled it is helpful, yet the "continues the work" fails also. Typically you can "continue the work" forever not quite knowing when you are actually "done" which is a deterent to RP also, having to 1. count the number of "continues to work" to make sure it just didn't stall on one without a "fail" which has happened a few times with me (mainly if you don't have it in your belt, but it winds up in your bag due to the number of resources required to make something), or 2. wait a sufficient amount of time and check to see if the product is actually 100% made.

The repair though is REALLY a nice feature.

If you are trying to RP a "knowledgeable" dwarf and are reluctant to ask ig about something, it would be pretty easy to RP a reason why you "forgot" etc .
Once started and used to it more, most seem to enjoy the new system, I would suggest you give it a little time anyway. :)
#me starts or continues to work is the most annoying thing I have ever seen in my life
I would at the very least like to see this whispered.

Not only the RP aspect, but exploring and discovering new things ig is IMO part of the fun of the game. I would really hate for a comprehensive map showing everything ig, a list of ALL needed for everything my char tries to do, and an up to the minute resource on anything new.
Callith

Post by Callith »

I'm with Pocal on this one, I've all but quit the game because the system spoils the fun, fair enough if you enjoy spending your time working out all the items you, then finding all the items you need, then making the item you want to make with a chance of failing, thats up to you. Frankly I hate it and I hate the whole skill system, I have a life and I don't want to spend days reaching the next shade of puke yellow. Which is why I don't craft or fight on any of my characters unless it has an actual rp reason.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I sadly have to agree with Callith.

I really enjoy starting a new character. I spend a few times collecting, then craft and see the results and more things become possible.

The moment I'm mass-producing Armor in order to be able to create a new piece of armor, it gets boring.

And the "#me continues the work" bit should be replaced by animations... (like fighting ect...) soon.... when there are graphics.