Meaning of Red Names

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

abcfantasy

Meaning of Red Names

Post by abcfantasy »

Okay, what does a red name actually mean?

Does it mean that the character is holding a weapon in his hands, or that the character is simply carrying (not necessarily) in his hands? I know it technically means that the item is in the character's hands, but RP wise as well? I think so, yes, but there seem to be ambiguities from others.

When I see a character with a red name, I immediately assume that their weapons (unless it's needles/rods/etc...) are drawn out. In fact, I think that's the whole point of it. Some people apparently keep their weapons in the character's hands, and assume that they are sheathed. Is this valid?
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I have always carried in my hands, but would RP taking them out of the sheath if needed. Now, the way the look system is, I no longer carry in hand (except on purpose :wink: )
Last edited by Juliana D'cheyne on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Click on someone it will say "Person carries a serinjah and serinjah in HAND"

That definately means they are holding the weapons in hand, so i agree

If they are simply carrying a weapon, that can be seen on their belt
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Red = carries in hand = ready for combat.

If I see someone's name in red, I'll look at them weird and scan around them to make sure they're not being chased by dragons.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

So you are saying a two handed sword would be at a persons belt? When carrying a large group of swords, they can not be sheathed and be in their hands?
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Exactly: I think carrying a weapon in hands and assuming they are sheathed is not quite good. Especially now, since the red names are used to distinguish who has their weapons drawn. It's quite useful, unless people assume swords are sheathed when their names are red.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Vern Kron wrote:So you are saying a two handed sword would be at a persons belt?
I dont think anyone will care if you consider carrying a weapon on your back, as your belt...
Vern Kron wrote:When carrying a large group of swords, they can not be sheathed and be in their hands?
huh? you can carry the swords anyway you want
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

But when you make a deal, you do not keep the sword you are selling on your belt. You hold it out to them to show them.

@above: A red name as other people imply it means you are having it out for the purpose to attack with it. You can hold a sword in your hands and drag it behind you, or have it resting on your shoulder as you walk?
Last edited by Vern Kron on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

well in a technical sense, if the item is in your hand then it wont be on the ground to be picked up
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Vern Kron wrote:But when you make a deal, you do not keep the sword you are selling on your belt. You hold it out to them to show them.
I don't think anyone would be that particular as far as selling a sword whether in hand or belt etc. however, since neither tells you how well the sword is made, it is sort of a mote point.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Vern Kron wrote:@above: A red name as other people imply it means you are having it out for the purpose to attack with it. You can hold a sword in your hands and drag it behind you, or have it resting on your shoulder as you walk?
a red name simply means that you have a melee weapon in your hand, you can play it anyway you want, as long as it is out in your hand.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

And as a quick side thought, what if your character puts his hand -on- the weapon? Does that mean it is now in hand, or in the belt?
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

you're being waaaaay to particular about this, just do it anyway you want.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

If my #me says my blades are sheathed, there sheathed. It's a rp game, not a engine based red colored OOC fill in. If you want to attack me over it, I'll just pk your ass.

Watch your words. - Arien -
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Then what's the point of the red names? If you are so with "RP", then why have swords, or why have technical fighting? Just RP everything.

I mean come on, the point of the red names, to me, is to see who has their weapons drawn, because obviously you would notice. And people are not going to #me having their weapons drawn for each person that passes by.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

That's how I'll rp it. Everyone else can rp it there own way, but if I put in my #me that his blades are half way sheathed, or his hands are on them while my name is red, I hope the RPING community respects that #me. Every time I've done that lately I've gotten the reply "Put your blades down sir! No FULLY unsheathed blades in town."
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Julius wrote:I'll just pk your ass.
Aww cheah. 8)
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Why is it so hard to respect the technicalities of the game and keep your swords in the char's belt until he would have drawn them out?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Its incredible amusing that people like Julius say "Omgozors its a rpg game" while the group around him abuses every technical flaw they can use.

In my opinion, if your name is red your weapon is out, its as easy as that.
pharse

Post by pharse »

red name = ready to attack

Deal with it.

If you roleplay that you have your hands on your sword at your belt, but technically you hold it in your hands, then deal with it that everybody SEES now that you are ready to attack and treats you likewise.
Julius

Post by Julius »

abcfantasy wrote:Why is it so hard to respect the technicalities of the game and keep your swords in the char's belt until he would have drawn them out?
Because, I've witnessed so many attacks without #mes or any warning from your side that I won't walk into town without blades in my hands. The Mark incident, the attacks from Konrad, and other senseless pk fests have made me weary of using this new system adequately.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

I could say likewise.

So as pharse said. :)
pharse

Post by pharse »

Hilarious.

http://illarion.org/community/us_contact.php?contact=3

Use this but keep the flaming off the forums.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

What's a green name mean?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

long range weapon, blue means wands.

Oh and Julius, maybe you should ask yourself why people use your strategy against you, your "side" are he ones who run around or kill people off as soon as they have the chance without #me's mostly as far as I know, so don't whine around and..ahh how are you people saying "suck it up" your weapons and everyone can see it, no half sheated crap.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Pellandria wrote:long range weapon,
Thank you
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Oh btw, why are you guys fighting?
Julius

Post by Julius »

There is no reason to exercise your point dry, hun. You can't put me in any one "group".
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Come on guys stop fighting.

*Hands everyone lollipops*
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Julius wrote:It's a rp game, not a engine based red colored OOC fill in.
oh you mean like skills?