Taking it one step further

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Taking it one step further

Post by Llama »

I really LOVE the look-at command, and I've spent most of yesterday just looking at people and pointing out that they're not wearing anything.

Can we take it one step further?

Add a few fields to the character creation:

Skin Colour -
Eye Colour - [Left/Right]
Hair Colour -
Hair Style -

There would be a box with choices, for example "Red/[german for red]" ect...

So we can get an even better description, especially now without the "Someone 12345" thing.

Also it would allow much better roleplay when looking for people. "Look for a red haired person with green eyes and who wears a black cloak" kind of thing.

Discuss.
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

Adrian ... why don't you just play and enjoy the updated client?!

apart from that ... those "green eyes" which you mentioned in your example are hardly visible from some distance ;)
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Dariya wrote:Adrian ... why don't you just play and enjoy the updated client?!

apart from that ... those "green eyes" which you mentioned in your example are hardly visible from some distance ;)
Oh no, good suggestions to extend and improve upon a newly implemented system! We don't like those in these here parts!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Dariya wrote:Adrian ... why don't you just play and enjoy the updated client?!
What IS wrong with adding a suggestion to an already good system which could be better?

There was already a comment that its hard to find a target if there are a number of 'man's
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Actually, my only thought now is I would still like people to pay attention to my written descrip for my chars. Extending this further may discourage that.
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

Hadrian_Abela wrote: What IS wrong with adding a suggestion to an already good system which could be better?
imo you are exaggerating Adrian ... coming up with a suggestion for "improving" a system which is not even out for 24 hours

you wanted to discuss, I stated my opinion ;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:Actually, my only thought now is I would still like people to pay attention to my written descrip for my chars. Extending this further may discourage that.
That's an idea.

Is it possible to 'fetch' the data stored in someone else's F2 Macro?

So you can 'look' at people - those who have a description in F2 will show you that description (without the need for everyone else to see it); and the ones who don't at least get a basic written description (eye colour ect..)

Everyone's happy? :P

ADDED: Or add a textbox to the site which you can put it in there, then it'll be easier to program
--

For Dariya: Exactly, its fresh so the person who worked for it won't feel so bad about adding new features. Its a programmer's thing ;)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The problem is:
We can add random stuff as we like but the texts are getting very very long and the boxes will be start to be placed in a strange way on the screen. The rather limited informations we give now are meant to give as many informations as possible with the lowest amount of text itself.

This is the major target.

Currently we will try to improve the description for the attributes. So you get different texts for different attributes.

And no its not possible to fetch what one has in the F2 macro.

Nitram
Juliana D'cheyne

An idea for future anyway......not wanting to "spam" the scene, yet wanting to show a descrip for my char... also sometimes I would like to view again a descrip, being able to pick and see it would be VERY nice but may not be able to be scripted.

edited after Nitram's post: oh well, just an idea.

However, to the dev's and scipters, I would be perfectly happy as it is now also.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

instead of the description displaying on the game window could it be moved to the text window?
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

HolyKnight wrote:instead of the description displaying on the game window could it be moved to the text window?
Bah, it's funny when it takes you three stares to get a message completely. I even saw a few people with a message that surpassed the box....
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

You can change the amount of time the message stays I believe.
pharse

Post by pharse »

I would appreciate aswell if the lookAt would be visible for a longer time. Or just use a whisper inform additionally. Then the text is not logged to Illarion.log but visible in the chatbox.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

pharse wrote:I would appreciate aswell if the lookAt would be visible for a longer time. Or just use a whisper inform additionally. Then the text is not logged to Illarion.log but visible in the chatbox.
Well, I guess it should be logged to use that text to describe e.g. wanted characters.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

pharse wrote:I would appreciate aswell if the lookAt would be visible for a longer time. Or just use a whisper inform additionally. Then the text is not logged to Illarion.log but visible in the chatbox.
Client Login Window -> Options -> Tab "Times" -> Show descriptions in seconds

Guess what that value means!

Correct! The time in seconds how long the descriptions are visible.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Is it possible to 'fetch' the data stored in someone else's F2 Macro?
Your macros and spells are in your config file and illarion isn't p2p, surely you could work that out yourself.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Nitram wrote:Client Login Window -> Options -> Tab "Times" -> Show descriptions in seconds

And where is the option that brief descriptions are displayed for 2 seconds and long descriptions for 5 seconds, Master Nitram? :roll:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I guess thats calculated with the lenght of the description. If you increase one you increase both more or less. At least I think so.
Juliana D'cheyne

AlexRose wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Is it possible to 'fetch' the data stored in someone else's F2 Macro?
Your macros and spells are in your config file and illarion isn't p2p, surely you could work that out yourself.
How does F1 and F12 for map work then?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

.. They're client functions, like pressing shift makes the hand appear and clicking a weapon looks at that, it's no manual data you store on your computer. Names, map data, descriptions and rune combinations are stored on your computer, hence when you change computer you have no descriptions.
Juliana D'cheyne

Alright, thanks, would have been nice to be able to pick up the first couple of sentences in Appearance on the wiki.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Umm.. what is your obsession with the wiki? Why not the first lines of the description of the char on the website which are actually LINKED to the character and not something completely different?
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:Umm.. what is your obsession with the wiki? Why not the first lines of the description of the char on the website which are actually LINKED to the character and not something completely different?
Alex be nice.

Go and play with your little plastic guitar.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Alex be nice.
/signed
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

There have been some issues with recognizing characters in the current system, and indeed, you can't be sure if the fellow is the same one as five minutes ago, even with the dress and body type info. My solution for the 'problem' is this:

A system where basic facial feature are (similar to how weight and height are handled atm) given in the character creation (edit) phase, which will appear in the game as a part (or new type of) the "lookat" feature. Some of these would be editable (meaning that you could, within certain amount of time, change the hairstyle or facial hair style on your own) while others would be only editable by staff (scars, tattoos, eye color, hair color). The ground rule would be that "natural" changes are allowed, but with a cooldown-period after each change in order to prevent things from getting ridiculous. (Maybe also there could be a logical order with the changes, meaning that you could only change from bald->short hair->medium->long).

Hair
Bald
Short
Medium (some native can come up with a better word)
Long

Hair color
Black
Blonde/
Gold
Grey
Red
Brown

Eye color
Brown
Green
Blue

Facial hair
None
Short beard
Long beard
Moustache
..etc

Other
Scarred
Tattooed
Very scarred
Broken nose
Mutilated
Perhaps two options for the "other" category, so you can be scarred and tattooed. Or have a broken nose and scars.

The staff could also apply other kinds of descriptions/colors/etc, manually. It's meant to give only a rough outline of the character's face and most recognizable features, and thus the more flashy "his almond shaped green eyes shimmer like two pools filled with pristine emeralds "-#me's aren't really purposeful here. More like "Oy, the focker who tried to rob me had green eyes", something which further helps to identify people in the heat of the moment. The above was something essentially for humans, other races can have other kind of details added as well (orcs could have the size/shape of tusks instead of facial hair, for instance, while faeries could have pink/blue hair).

If a hood is implemented in the game, then it could remove some of these (such as hair) automatically as well as conceal the other features depending on (say) the quality of the hood and the perception of the observer.

Nitram has long, brown hair and black beard. His eyes are green and his face is tattooed and scarred.

With a hood:

Nitram's face is partially covered by the hood. He has black beard and his face seems scarred.

Of course, the obvious downside of this is that 'special' hair and eyes colors would not be readily available, but would have to be edited in by gamemasters (when they see this being necessary).

Additionally, due to the increase in the amount of text, the current system might need some rearranging (or creation of a third, "examine face" option).
Ilyamorion

Post by Ilyamorion »

Your idea is fantastic Mr. Cromwell. However, you can know if it was the person 5 minutes ago by right clicking their head a naming him. However, this is obsolete if you could introduce such customization into character creation.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Although I don't think this is possible, It would be cool to have "Wanted Posters" in towns. After examining the posters, you receive a chance of recognizing a criminal when you examine him that decreases over time.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Ilyamorion wrote:Your idea is fantastic Mr. Cromwell. However, you can know if it was the person 5 minutes ago by right clicking their head a naming him. However, this is obsolete if you could introduce such customization into character creation.
Umm.. he means for like the board ig etc.

e.g. now we have "a tall human who carries a serinjah" to put on the board as a description. How many tall humans with serinjahs are there ig? Whereas "A tall man with green eyes, black hair, a beard and a scar" would be much more useful.
Ilyamorion

Post by Ilyamorion »

Yes I understand what he meant. I was not talking about changing the avatars. It would be nicer to see the description as such when you click them.
JonathanSmith

Post by JonathanSmith »

Nitram wrote:
Client Login Window -> Options -> Tab "Times" -> Show descriptions in seconds

Would it be possible to print the longer description message into the console, so that forgetful players like me could read the description later in the console or in the log file?

It seems to be quite misbecoming if my char examines the others more than once.