Limit fishing?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Sundo Raca

Limit fishing?

Post by Sundo Raca »

I think having unlimited numbers of fish makes the food system uneven (since its the only one that has it) im not sure why its in place in the first place, since its not really needed and its unrealistic.

I think it would be better to have a certain number of fish in each square of water, with that number being replenished each week. Of course, you could still fish for maps etc, you just wouldnt get fish.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

As a person who has a character who is a fisher, I think this idea is great. It would make it so that fishers need to work for their food just like everyone else. At the moment I find it way to easy to get enough food to last weeks, or even months just from fishing. This sort of limit would definitely balance out the food system.
pharse

Post by pharse »

That is close to impossible. Do you know how many water tiles there are? We would have to save all the coordinates (x y z), even as a global? No. But if this proposal is about making fishing more difficult, then there are certainly other means.

// e.g. like defining certain fishing places, comparable to the mines. Those places are limited and can be handled easier.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Ok, good point.. well how about making it so there are certain fishing spots, instead of just having fish in ALL the water tiles? (while keeping the limited number of fish)

Also, there could be the possibility of freshwater fish in rivers, and saltwater ones in the open sea.

Edit: lol.. great minds think alike :wink:
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Really who runs around just eating fish? (besides lizards of course) If you do this it is just crappy rp anyway. Sure I don't care if you make it more difficult to catch fish if you have really low skill but past like level 20 who cares. (this should not effect lizards since they should be master fishers anyway) People that play this game decently do not run around eating raw fish, and pgers don't go around stocking up fish because it messes with their skill cap. Furthermore, pgers don't go around stocking up unlimited fish because they are relatively heavy and could mess with the coins and loot they could carry.

Sure people have fish because they are looking for that special "fish". But most people I see doing that discard the regular fish. Not needed IMO to do anything with the fish. Not once have I had a character that lives on fish... and the best pger I know never #me eats a raw fish... although he might eat them but I am quite certain he doesn't carry around fish. (note: he usually doesn't emote that much)

Edit: forgive me HE does emote quite often, though most of it could be considered spam.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Make fishing only possible in Greenbriar plx, kthxbye.

:wink:
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

HolyKnight wrote:Really who runs around just eating fish? (besides lizards of course) If you do this it is just crappy rp anyway. Sure I don't care if you make it more difficult to catch fish if you have really low skill but past like level 20 who cares. (this should not effect lizards since they should be master fishers anyway) People that play this game decently do not run around eating raw fish, and pgers don't go around stocking up fish because it messes with their skill cap. Furthermore, pgers don't go around stocking up unlimited fish because they are relatively heavy and could mess with the coins and loot they could carry.

Sure people have fish because they are looking for that special "fish". But most people I see doing that discard the regular fish. Not needed IMO to do anything with the fish. Not once have I had a character that lives on fish... and the best pger I know never #me eats a raw fish... although he might eat them but I am quite certain he doesn't carry around fish. (note: he usually doesn't emote that much)

Edit: forgive me HE does emote quite often, though most of it could be considered spam.
If fish are that useless then why do we have them? Either things should be changed to make them more useful, or they should be got rid off.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

They are useful when you cook them. You are talking about raw fish or so I assumed. So if you can get large amounts of fish and cooks can cook them then there is nothing wrong that is economy...
pharse

Post by pharse »

Nevertheless I like the idea of such fishing spots. Fishermen can gather there and RP. Besides I don't want to see people fishing in the middle of Troll's Bane.

On the other hand it is an additional effort for the devs to maintain and manage those spots. So if there is no real use, we should leave it as it is.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Tbh, i dont see why everything has to be from a powergamer's perspective.

Powergamers dont (or rarely anyway) use fruit, yet we still have fruit, and its limited. The idea of unlimited fish (which is everywhere) is unrealistic, and in the current game situation (where there is less food around due to the pigplague) it would help give food a real importance again.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Wait so you don't get poisoned or maliced by eating junk anymore? :?
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

uh...how about participate in the pig plague quest ...then there won't be such a shortage :wink:

Food is not that big of an issue if you just walk around and ask people, for instance, cooks. I see three or four of them everyday I am ig. And their prices are quite nice too.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

HolyKnight wrote:uh...how about participate in the pig plague quest ...then there won't be such a shortage :wink: .
Umm....how do you do that? My character has had a reward up for information for two weeks and nothing!

If I could get involved, I would. However, the quest details are vague.

If you want people to be involved, give them some way to get involved.

:roll:
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Sundo Raca wrote:Tbh, i dont see why everything has to be from a powergamer's perspective.

Powergamers dont (or rarely anyway) use fruit, yet we still have fruit, and its limited. The idea of unlimited fish (which is everywhere) is unrealistic, and in the current game situation (where there is less food around due to the pigplague) it would help give food a real importance again.
You could also look at the same issue from a RP perspective then. Confining fish to just certain areas on the map limits places chars can fish AND RP at the same time. As far as realism ig I believe there are LOTS of issues there is no realism.....including a mummy coming from the water. :wink:
pharse

Post by pharse »

Gro'bul wrote:Wait so you don't get poisoned or maliced by eating junk anymore? :?
only mushrooms poison you AFAIK. And I changed the diet system about half a year ago to only-bonus. That's why there is a "Development Progress" forum. And I updated the wiki entry...
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Juniper Onyx wrote:
HolyKnight wrote:uh...how about participate in the pig plague quest ...then there won't be such a shortage :wink: .
Umm....how do you do that? My character has had a reward up for information for two weeks and nothing!

If I could get involved, I would. However, the quest details are vague.

If you want people to be involved, give them some way to get involved.

:roll:
/signed :P

With the fishing thing, why not make it so you can only fish on coastlines(meaning edges of Gobaith)? That way we don't see 100 people fishing in tiny streams. It will still keep people near towns and what not. I bet it will make the harbor actually used for reasons other than transportation.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

There is a script that splits up the map in bigger part then tiles and limit the amount of things to find there.

Currently this is used for herbs. I guess it could work as well for fishes. It would cause that you empty a area of water and have to move or stop sooner or later.

Nitram
Llama

Post by Llama »

I think that we need:

I) More fish types
II) Different (more common) fish dishes

Before we bother doing something like this.

We could have easy fish that are found almost everywhere, more rare fish that are only found in the coastline, and 'special' fish that are rare and found only in certain areas.

I think the only problem with this is lack of graphics.

Till now with only 2 types of fish, 'junk', and maps; its hardly worth it.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Nitram wrote:There is a script that splits up the map in bigger part then tiles and limit the amount of things to find there.

Currently this is used for herbs. I guess it could work as well for fishes. It would cause that you empty a area of water and have to move or stop sooner or later.
That would be nice.

Maybe in the future, advanced fishers can maybe fish across two tiles and catch more valuable fish or stuff there (or at all).
Last edited by Miklorius on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

I think the fishing is fine as it is. Putting a limit in will introduce another food scarcity and another wave of complaining that there is not enough food. Nitters, count how many fishers fish on daily basis and estimate the limit you'd have to put in.
RPwise, Troll's Bane is an island surrounded by water, its rivers connect to it above and under ground. Abundance of fish is the number one reason why someone would migrate from big and prosperous mainland to a smaller island.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Konrad Knox wrote:I think the fishing is fine as it is. Putting a limit in will introduce another food scarcity and another wave of complaining that there is not enough food. Nitters, count how many fishers fish on daily basis and estimate the limit you'd have to put in.
RPwise, Troll's Bane is an island surrounded by water, its rivers connect to it above and under ground. Abundance of fish is the number one reason why someone would migrate from big and prosperous mainland to a smaller island.
Are you being serious? Yeah! Every character I've met has told Julius that "Yeah, I came here for uh.. erm.. the fish,". :roll:
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Konrad Knox wrote:I think the fishing is fine as it is. Putting a limit in will introduce another food scarcity and another wave of complaining that there is not enough food. Nitters, count how many fishers fish on daily basis and estimate the limit you'd have to put in.
I think food scarcity is interesting. It forces people to take food more seriously.. and there is a difference between an abundance of fish and a never ending supply :wink:
Olive

Post by Olive »

limit the fish!!!

seriously now

you canthave poeple fishing day in and day out and not have it have an impact onthe fish in the region.

now personally i'd like to see a bit more variety of fish in the waters. ocean fish, lake fish, river fish, mayeb even a land shark to keep people from fishign while afk (yes i watched too much saturday night live when i was a child) that mummy just doesn't cut it

regional fishing.. woud it be posible to have somethign os that fi thre are say 10 fishers in a region, each fishers output is cut say 25% or something

to giev SOME sort of effect on overfishing

somethign really should be done to make the established characters take food a bit more seriously then 'oh i'll just fish'
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

mayeb even a land shark to keep people from fishign while afk (yes i watched too much saturday night live when i was a child) that mummy just doesn't cut it
Ehh, not all players are fighters. Some players can't even handle that mummy without weapons and armor.

I did like Hadrian's point. There is no point in making a lot of changes to a system that is nearly useless. No one I've seen in game only eats fish.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Julius wrote:
Are you being serious? Yeah! Every character I've met has told Julius that "Yeah, I came here for uh.. erm.. the fish,". :roll:
Yeah only because Gobaith is the only playable place. If illarion was real, everyone would migrate to like Lor-Angur or Salkamaeria, not some little island noone's heard of. We only get a huge array of characters on such a small island because the players have to put their characters there.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Lrmy wrote:
mayeb even a land shark to keep people from fishign while afk (yes i watched too much saturday night live when i was a child) that mummy just doesn't cut it
Ehh, not all players are fighters. Some players can't even handle that mummy without weapons and armor.

I did like Hadrian's point. There is no point in making a lot of changes to a system that is nearly useless. No one I've seen in game only eats fish.
Exactly, so the system should be changed to make it useful. Otherwise its just a waste of space..
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Lrmy wrote:No one I've seen in game only eats fish.
  1. You don't know everyone in the game
  2. For sure you don't know from everyone you know what he/she/it eats
  3. 49474 fishes in the depots of the characters who logged in within the last 7 days, cause the idea in my mind that the food of some bases on mainly on... fish.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Nitram wrote:
49474 fishes in the depots of the characters who logged in within the last 7 days, cause the idea in my mind that the food of some bases on mainly on... fish.
Julius has 49210 of that.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Nitram wrote:
  1. You don't know everyone in the game
  2. For sure you don't know from everyone you know what he/she/it eats
  3. 49474 fishes in the depots of the characters who logged in within the last 7 days, cause the idea in my mind that the food of some bases on mainly on... fish.
1.Oh, I know EVERYONE in game. Prove I don't :lol: .
2.Ok, I've never seen all these people (that I do know :P ) only RP eating fish.
3.I think only eating fish by non-lizard men is just bad RP and hurtful to the economy. It needs to be fixed, eh?
Llama

Post by Llama »

What we need is:

A SIMPLE fish dish which is made using only fish "Fried fish"?

And non-lizards who eat it raw get sick. (Take penalty to constitution for a period of time [can be done with ease]). And before you ask, sushi is NOT raw fish + bones. You have to clean it before ;)