Dropping int?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Keunthus

Dropping int?

Post by Keunthus »

After some discussions with other players, well, it seems to me that many players drop intelligence when making their characters. I argued that 10 is avarage, but they argued that 6 is avarage for a knight. Is that so? Would a person with 10 intelligence be above avarage? Why is everyone dropping int? Someone with 6 int would be avarage?

What are your thoughts? I find it strange that many players with 6 int (I believe) play fairly smart characters.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

10 is average, 6 is below average.

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... php?t=9047

the simple fact that peopledrop int is that its jsut mainly used in the "magic system" and for learning, thus they rather take strength and so on higher.
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

The question is, then why does the Knight starting package only have 6 int? With knight, perhaps they meant warrior? Knights are usualy smarter than the avarage farmer, not more stupid...
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

The Knight's starting package is for a Kallahorn Knight.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just a joke :P
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Keep the hate IC, thank you.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Int just focus's on the speed you learn and magic. It really doesn't effect what your character knows / understands.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Knight smash !

No..seriously maybe you have another view of knigths and warriors alike, but all those aren't generally the "masterminds" in live.
Most chars are not played after their int score anyway, I don't want to know how many people run around with 7 and lower.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

It's not hate. It was a joke.

On topic, I think for roleplaying reasons, it is good for a Knight to have around 10 intelligence I guess.
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

So characters should just pick 6 int and rp a smart character? Sounds like bad RP to me. :?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

We are, luckely, not forced to rp after our stats.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

No. Thats not what INT in real life is. Int is what most people believe is as far as you can learn, how long it takes you to learn things, so on so forth. A person can look at something for days and learn it, even if it is -very- hard to understand. It just takes time.
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

Pellandria, we aren't? Then, the stats are useless.

Vern Kron, then, if what you say is true, I would like to criticise the makers of Illarion. Please, make a good guide for what the stats represent. I assumed that Intelligence represented roughly the same as it does in Dungeons & Dragons, that is, logical capacities, the ability to draw conclusions, to come up with plans, thinking, etc. You know, stuff like people generally consider a smart person to have. Is that not what int represent?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

abcfantasy wrote:The Knight's starting package is for a Kallahorn Knight.

ROFL, funny joke even though it doesn't make any sense. Most of our members are played by frequent Pgers so they know that that package stinks for fighting.

On a side note.. intell doesn't really matter to much to me. I know players with higher intell who get there characters to max skills or close within a few weeks time frame. Personally, Julius is under ten and he still seems to learn just fine.
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

Julius, two of the knights of Kallahorn I've spoken to admit to having 6 int, so it seems that yeah, the joke does make sense. I do not like that people have 6 int and play smart chars, seems like poor roleplaying too me... I mean, if my characters would have 6 str, I wouldn't play them like strong characters.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Stats are, mostly, jsut used to fit the technical requierements for the games, surely they should base on your rp too, but almsot noone seems to play after their stats anyway, because its hard to determ whats training and whats stat.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Ragor wrote:Julius, two of the knights of Kallahorn I've spoken to admit to having 6 int, so it seems that yeah, the joke does make sense. I do not like that people have 6 int and play smart chars, seems like poor roleplaying too me... I mean, if my characters would have 6 str, I wouldn't play them like strong characters.
2 out of 20? Omg, Abc is Dane Cook. Now we know his true identify.
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

Julius wrote:
Ragor wrote:Julius, two of the knights of Kallahorn I've spoken to admit to having 6 int, so it seems that yeah, the joke does make sense. I do not like that people have 6 int and play smart chars, seems like poor roleplaying too me... I mean, if my characters would have 6 str, I wouldn't play them like strong characters.
2 out of 20? Omg, Abc is Dane Cook. Now we know his true identify.
Don't be a rapist.
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

Pellandria, if that's so, then there should be a clear explanation of what every stat does in game. If people don't play after their stats then the ones that does are at a disadvantage. This is a roleplaying game, is it not?

Julius, I'm not judging the whole knighthood, though it seems like it attracks many persons who care more about their power level than playing their character properly. Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps not. :wink:

Edit: I should add that I don't think that people in the Kallahorns are that bad powergamers. Those Kallahorns I played with did RP, though perhaps not as stupid as they were supposed to be. Or perhaps they were a bit slow, hmm. Possible. Anyway, I do not wish to take that discussion, as it's irrelewant at the time being.
Last edited by Keunthus on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

6 INT would be generous in that case
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Ragor read the link to find out what ever stat stands for ig, I still think knights were never a blessed race of intelligent people.
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

In real life they were certanly smarter than the avarage farmer, at least. Also, I have read that link. However, the players I discussed the int issue with claimed that the link was just written by a player and should not be trusted.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Since the link has been stickied, It's safe to say it can be trusted.
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

I think so too. I should direct their attention to this thread. Anyhow, I suggest that the starting package for knights should be changed. I mean, why 14 dex? 12 agi? Knights weren't that nimble? Up the int to 10, dump the dex to 10 is my suggestion. What do you think about that?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Do it yourself?
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Edit: Do not try and make decisions about starter pack levels when you obviously have no idea what stats do.

No offense of course.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Every character ive made so far has had stats which i felt complimented its character, not their ability to fight or complete tasks or whatever. Rp is more important than anything else, at least it should be.

edit: eg wolf has pretty high willpower, due to his personality, and nothing else.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

I think it would be very foolish to try to make people play according to their stats, both on a practical level, but also because role playing is largely based on interpretation.

I'd say as long as people dont play with killer laser eyes or whatever, then it should be fine.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:I think it would be very foolish to try to make people play according to their stats, both on a practical level, but also because role playing is largely based on interpretation.

I'd say as long as people dont play with killer laser eyes or whatever, then it should be fine.
I once proposed halflings should have laser vision... As a race bonus.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

QFT
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

The stats should be roleplayed, otherwise, there really shouldn't be any "Willpower, Essence, Intelligence"-stats, since those are roleplaying stats, mostly. A character with low willpower should be easier to persuade, a character with low essence should have weak faith in the gods (and perhaps be scared of magic), a character with low intelligence should be a bit slow, a character with low perception should sometimes not notice things. Oh, and the other way around, of course. A character with high willpower will be harder to persuade, a character with high essence should be more spiritual, or inspired by magic, a character with high intelligence should have a bright mind, a character with high perception should notice things more easily. If you play the advantages, such as high strength, you should also play the flaws, else you aren't a very good roleplayer IMO. If you put 3 into intelligence and come up with good ideas, well, sorry, I'd call you a bad roleplayer.