Forum ID field in character profiles.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Chryton

Forum ID field in character profiles.

Post by Chryton »

This isn't really a game mod, but I was wondering if it would be possible to have a spot for a forum name in the character profiles. It wouldn't need to be automatic or anything, just something a player could optionally enter in and let people viewing their character's profile see.
I know I have trouble "sending a dove" to a good number of people I don't see IG very often.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Why don't you simply search the name via the search field, if you don't find the right one, simpyl search in the rpg board, most people sign with their name there, so you will find the charname behind the forumname.
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

in the new website, which developing is still in progress, you can access the forum via the account, and can have as many forum accounts as you have char slots.. each forum account will be named after the character..
Chryton

Post by Chryton »

Well searching for a character name can be a lot of running around, especially if it's a character that's talked about a lot on the boards but doesn't post as much. I've had that problem before. The new website kind of makes it a moot point though, apparently my suggestion's already been thought of.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Yep. You get a small link in your forum accounts "Show character profile"

This is done completly automatically. :-)

I guess it works this way.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Is it also planned that one can have a "normal" forum account bound to the game account? Like I would have forum account "pharse" as normal account and "Lonsúr" as character account etc

Would be good I think. At least I would like to use such a feature.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Hmm....I hope "Guilds' and towns can keep their forum accounts?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Noradur wrote:in the new website, which developing is still in progress, you can access the forum via the account, and can have as many forum accounts as you have char slots.. each forum account will be named after the character..
So in other words Adrian got owned?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

pharse wrote:Is it also planned that one can have a "normal" forum account bound to the game account? Like I would have forum account "pharse" as normal account and "Lonsúr" as character account etc

Would be good I think. At least I would like to use such a feature.
You get one account with your account name. And one account for each character.
So at the end not more then 6 accounts per player. One for the account + 5 for the characters. The board accounts stand and fall with the Characters. If you delete your character, you delete your board account at the same time.

For the guild accounts:
Currently there is no support for guilds in the form of game accounts. And since the registration and the login part is completly removed from the board software, it will be pretty hard to use those accounts without native support.
But I don't think thats such a big problem.

Nitram
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Nitram wrote:For the guild accounts:
Currently there is no support for guilds in the form of game accounts. And since the registration and the login part is completly removed from the board software, it will be pretty hard to use those accounts without native support.
But I don't think thats such a big problem.
I think general guild accounts are important, because normally the leader of a guild changes the forum topics. But what is when the leader changes...? Do you have to make another topic? Would be not very practical!

How will the migration of the actual forum accounts into this new system will take place? Will old/not-fitting accounts get deleted? So old postings can't be modified anymore?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Miklorius wrote:How will the migration of the actual forum accounts into this new system will take place? Will old/not-fitting accounts get deleted? So old postings can't be modified anymore?
The migration of the board will look in that way that all board accounts get deleted, since its not possible to convert them.
But I will try my very best to keep all posts and transfer them into the new board.

The result will look in that way, that you still can read who posted what. But the posters are like guest accounts.

Its pretty sure that it will work in this way. But since the new page is not fully developed yet, that still can change.

Nitram
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

may i propose, that we get instead of the guildboard we got now, a "guild anouncement board" with restricted rights?
so that only the actual leaders of guilds and one or two other guildmember(s) may write in that board, while everybody can read it?
then we would have about half a dozen anouncement threads in that board.

the commentaries by guild members and non-members could be made in the RPG section.
Rosendil

Post by Rosendil »

Nitram wrote: ...
You get one account with your account name. And one account for each character.
So at the end not more then 6 accounts per player. One for the account + 5 for the characters. The board accounts stand and fall with the Characters. If you delete your character, you delete your board account at the same time.
What happens with the old articles of a deleted (forum) account?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

They stay, written like by a guest account. The original poster name will be still be visible where its used to be. But there is no like the the profile or something.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Hey Nitram,

How about the leaders create a character named after their 'Guild' or Town? Then the Guild or Town would get a forum account. This character could also be the only one to access the 'Tax-NPC's'. Only one charcter can be created with the Name "TrollsBane", so it shouldn't be hard to maintain who gets the 'taxes'. When one leader steps down, he deletes the character (Or is helped to delete it if involuntary), and the new leader creates it anew with the same name.

This also helps limit how many Guilds/Towns a leader can 'lead' by giving up one of their precious character slots for each.

This way, nothing needs to change from the way you describe it. Will this work?
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

But then what about when there is a transition of power? How will the funds be transfered from one "Trollsbane" char to the other? Hm..
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

@Juniper Onyx:

It could work in this way, but its needless to think about this now, since the new homepage is not done yet and I don't know about the exact functions it will have then its done.

Nitram
Llama

Post by Llama »

Juniper Onyx wrote:This also helps limit how many Guilds/Towns a leader can 'lead' by giving up one of their precious character slots for each.
And what about councils? It'll overcomplicate matters
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Councils get acces to the char/boardaccount aswell and tranfering heck, why don't we simply generate an extra account for each town, so everyone who overtakes the town can simply take the account, thus nooneneeds to sacrifices an char slot and noone has to change ressources.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Why do concils don't just simply post with the accounts of the characters. :roll:

I wonder WHO does the things overcomplicated here.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Not my fault Juniper suggested that "If you want to be a leader give up a character slot"
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Not my fault Juniper suggested that "If you want to be a leader give up a character slot"
Hmm, and what's wrong with that? I think we need some loyalty to these towns and guilds by the players, especially the leaders. Perhaps we should put a 'cost' or 'limit' on all characters for being a member of a guild or town?

I don't want to point fingers, but there are many guilds (even towns) that are technically 'inactive' with less than 4 active 'Devoted' player Accounts*. Why?
*(For definition of counted members, see Building Rules)

I noticed that players try a guild for a while, become easily bored, then move on to something else, letting that first Guild die a slow death. This is frustrating to those who wish to continue it. Some of these are ignored until they spring to life again, even though the building rules say otherwise.

I just think if a character starts in a guild like a "Farmer's Guild", they should stick with it with that character for a set time, say 3 RL months. After all, isn't a guild to help your 'profession'? Why would a character be RP'd to start in farming, join a 'farming' guild, then become a smith a short time after?

I'm not quite sure where I was going with this, but these thoughts immediately came to mind when I made the suggestion to give up a slot for your Guild or Town.

Just venting I suppose. :x
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Nitters, run a guild for a year with helpers and then get back to us on having it be easier to have people co post under a characters name. I have found it to be easier to have everything done under one guild account. You shouldn't need to post a new thread with a new person every time the regimes change, and even then, why should only one person update the main post. What if you are on vacation for a week and something happens, a new member is added. A co-leader in the guild can post something and change the main page for you. What if the main person quits or suddenly disapears from playing. Then you have to go and make a new thread that may only last for a page or two before you change leaders again. It is easier to have a guild account, and this is coming from experiance.

Guild accounts could be specific and only allow for one "character" or rather, name which goes to the boards and can be accessed by multiple people. If the name changes, delete the "character" and create a new one.

I am sorry Nitters, but it is YOU who is trying to over complicate things.