Potions and Parkinson's

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Potions and Parkinson's

Post by Drathe »

I was trying out healing potions today, never really used them before. (Yes this is a grumble sorry in advance) For one, the price of them at the hospital is well... a little on the expensive side but fair enough I thought. After all they are the finest quality herbs, press dried in fresh parchment and brewed in glacial spring water.

So I get a little bit bashed around and back off to sip this delightful brew and out of 4 bottle I spill three! Do character suffer from Parkinson's Disease as well as flu? :shock: Do mages suffer this when drinking mana potions? Or everyone when drinking food potions?
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

From what I know healing potions are the only ones with that annoying script. >.>
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

Aye, that's why you better buy those small healing potions :?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Mages can just CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA mana potions, instant mana point refil to near 10,000 AND they can even do this while having someone targetted.

Food potions are instant but must not have anything targetted while using.

Strong healing potions are annoying how you need 3 seconds of not doing ANYTHING (including getting hit) and even after that cheeky requirement, the health refill is not even instant. It's abit of a Patric but oh well.

Small healing potions are good but they only double your current health regeneration.. which is crap for anyone without high constitution :(
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

So if you do nothing for 3 seconds, like move, target, work you wont spill it? mm... I can understand why its like this, so people dont just sit there and chug potions while leveling skill I guess. But with the skill cap in place... is this fair or necessary. As they are, potions are next to usless for thier purpouse in my opinion. If you have to back off far enough and hide to drink a potion. You might as well just eat a rabbit dish and wait.
And if mages can chug mana for instant mana refil... :? I dont know...I dont think its quite fair.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think the main Idea behind this all is that you don't go solo to the reds and bash them while chunking down potion after potion. While warriors normally can handle quiete well and could run away, chunk potion and come back the mage would be death in the instant he has to wait for the effect to kick in.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Pellandria wrote:the mage would be death in the instant he has to wait for the effect to kick in.
and that's why you never go solo high-end monsters with a "supporting class" :wink:
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Well the thing is, let's say a warrior was fighting the reds, the current system stops them drinking a potion and battling the red in one go, but the thing is.. warriors take the reds in "rounds" where you just run off and wait for health to go up before going back into battle.

In theory potions would only speed up the battle, but with a skill cap in place it wouldn't make any difference as to how much skill you get etc.

A mage in danger with no mana could drink a mana potion, and the mana regeneration is so fast that they can instantly start spamming healing spells on themselves (if they are any good).

It's all abit random if you ask me.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Hm...we could just make mana potions works similarly to healing potions :D
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

abcfantasy wrote:Hm...we could just make mana potions works similarly to healing potions :D
Fasten your seatbelts the first "Anti-Mage-Nerf" members will arrive shortly... :wink:
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

:P

In my opinion, the main (good) point of that script is for player vs player fights. The winner could be the one carrying the most potions (100+? O_o).

I think it's really good that way. And honestly, maybe mana potions should work similarly.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Attempts to fight a red, health gets about half way, tries to get back enough to take health potion without getting hit meantime seeing health drop to 1/3... finally takes potion and spills it due to red now there, tries again and is ghosted.

IMO the large health potions are fairly worthless now. My char only buys one for just in case another spawns before ready to fight or if in tandem with another.. which is sometimes difficult with less PO's in the evening.

I would hate to have mana potions as worthless as the health potions, but it would be a little easier since mana regenerates faster then health.

(if the sole problem is player vs player why not address that issue instead?)
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

If you fight a red and are clouded because you couldn't have enough time to drink the potion, then don't fight reds, or don't fight them alone.

And, "address that issue"? You have some other way? I personally think that's the best way to prevent that.
Llama

Post by Llama »

abcfantasy wrote:Hm...we could just make mana potions works similarly to healing potions :D
So that way a mage in danger who runs out of mana will ALWAYS die. Perfect.

Seriously, a fighter with low health doesn't stop doing damage :P
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

I don't know, you clarify. Isn't the following possible:

Heal
Heal
Heal
Heal
Heal
Teleport Away
Some fire blast
Mana potion
Heal
Heal
Heal
Heal
Teleport
Fire blast
etc...

Is it? Or something similar?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Teleport takes some time to cast, so pretty much anyone who's fast enough to attack the mage will prevent him from casting it.

Also teleport isn't very ranged, and is quite unpredictable, so you can't really run away, drink and teleport away; you'd still get caught unless someone is holding the assailant.
Juliana D'cheyne

abcfantasy wrote:If you fight a red and are clouded because you couldn't have enough time to drink the potion, then don't fight reds, or don't fight them alone.

that is nice to know at least the second time you try.... :wink: has quit trying to fight the reds or anything else unsure of

And, "address that issue"? You have some other way? I personally think that's the best way to prevent that.

I would say if the main issue is PvP.. to change the entire way health potions functions is a little overboard. Perhaps though there are other issues also. If potions taken is to be limited, and if scripting is possible, why not make the number limited... arbitarily throwing something out say 5 max in a RL hour, or something similar?
Not having anything definite in mind, I am simply saying none of my chars buys large potions....rarely now if at all. Does anyone else still use them? Do we want mana to be similar?

This is just one opinion expressed, but I would prefer not.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Everytime a player drinks a stronghealing potion, a small message like "#me drinks a healing potion" should be displayed, the 3 second wait should just go.

Then a player can easilly just be reported for using them constantly in player battles. If it's a npc then who cares, the player will just have to waste nearly a silver every time he wants to drink potions constantly against something he cannot handle fighting, and let's be honest, a silver is alot of money to most people.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Retlak wrote:Everytime a player drinks a stronghealing potion, a small message like "#me drinks a healing potion" should be displayed, the 3 second wait should just go.

Then a player can easilly just be reported for using them constantly in player battles. If it's a npc then who cares, the player will just have to waste nearly a silver every time he wants to drink potions constantly against something he cannot handle fighting, and let's be honest, a silver is alot of money to most people.
There is a message..

#me starts to drink a healing potion.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:
abcfantasy wrote:If you fight a red and are clouded because you couldn't have enough time to drink the potion, then don't fight reds, or don't fight them alone.

that is nice to know at least the second time you try.... :wink: has quit trying to fight the reds or anything else unsure of
It's a risk when trying to fight a red. It's better to have a risk then many low level fighters fight reds with numerous potions.
Juliana D'cheyne wrote:
abcfantasy wrote:And, "address that issue"? You have some other way? I personally think that's the best way to prevent that.

I would say if the main issue is PvP.. to change the entire way health potions functions is a little overboard. Perhaps though there are other issues also. If potions taken is to be limited, and if scripting is possible, why not make the number limited... arbitarily throwing something out say 5 max in a RL hour, or something similar?
I don't think any potions could be drank 'while' fighting another player (let's keep aside realism. The reason is it's no good fighting someone who's health regenerates instantly 5 times (or according the limit of potions)). A limit won't be good enough.

@Retlak: I think that even 1 potion 'during' a fight isn't the right way. And I'm sure not all will report those who use 1 potion. Plus more work for GMs while we can avoid it.

I strongly think healing potions should remain this way.
Mana potions, maybe they remain as they are too.
Juliana D'cheyne

Retlak wrote:Everytime a player drinks a stronghealing potion, a small message like "#me drinks a healing potion" should be displayed, the 3 second wait should just go.

I like this idea, I am assuming you mean a general message to all in the surrounding area and not just the player? That way there would be no question in PvP as far as potions drank. I also agree a char would have to be pretty rich to just continue chugging them.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Why do we need mages or mana potions at all?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Fooser wrote:Why do we need mages or mana potions at all?
Same reason why we need Foosers.

Everyone pretends to hate them, but deep down, their jeolous.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Nah, I think Illarion needs a small inclusive group, and in order to enter you need to jump through hoops and practically get hazed, then you spend the rest of your days upping your skill by casting wherever you are, and support all measures to make mages better on the forum.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

<3 Fooser, That is completely right. But I don't haze my students or other mages, Nor does Kaila. :P And right now Eli only practices one rune-class and has been doing so for 3 months now....

@ the topic who cares what you do with NPCs they are there to fight if you are alone DO NOT use big potions when getting into a fight that is over your head, just take 10 small ones hehe. If you are training with a person this is completely another thing unless you are that 1337 n00b that tries to take a big potion when I am still targeting you. :wink:

All and all PvP fights IMHO suck anyway, the last 10 (excluding the one where I had 4 magical swords hitting me at once) I have been in have all ended with OMG I am getting pwn'd and they take a portal book, hide behind the walls, out run me, take ten potions, or any other combination to avoid going to the cross. AGAIN I so want to see that no system death implemented into the game that was in the proposal thread. This way YES there is still punishment for having your A55 handed to you with temporary skill lose but in the end you dont have to reskill for a week (or however long it takes you) just to get back where you were. And this way when someone starts taking potions in the middle of a battle you are clearly a sh1t rper.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Thing is... if potions work with an instant heal I can go and skill tactics and dodge upon mummies naked... or if not naked at least with crappy equipment and no weapon so I can pg and then rp a real martial arts expert, aight?

Nice stuff :)

And Holyknight... are you playing a different "set up" than Pellandria or Tayron? I always thought mages are underpowered? :wink:

*let the gas flow lalala :twisted: *
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

No, you can't. If you take more than 1 red at a time for example, without armour, you'd probably run out of health even with insta-potions, and it would cost a hell of a lot of money.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Mana potions are not instant. wtf?

If I chug a mana potion, I have to wait 2 seconds till I can cast basic spells, and 5/6 to cast advanced spells, and mana bars deplete so fast that waiting 3 seconds without being hit would be daft.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Faladron wrote: Thing is... if potions work with an instant heal I can go and skill tactics and dodge upon mummies naked... or if not naked at least with crappy equipment and no weapon so I can pg and then rp a real martial arts expert, aight?

If you are rich...

Oh boy don't make me get the powergaming handbook about how you cannot train like that!!! AARRRGHHHH IT IS INSUFFICIENT
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yeah some people just don't have a clue :P .

And no, with 3 con you just dieeee so fast, the mummies will hit you faster than you can heal. You can't do full heal cos they hit you while you cast, and then you can't get away cos they hit you while you teleport, you'd need to be spamming heals so fast, and chugging mana potions whenever your bar gets below 50% because it takes quite a while to regenerate. I never let my bar get to zero before using potions cos it renders me useless for 5 seconds or so. And if you're so bothered, you could go down the well, get 5,000,000,000,000 small potions and chug them while your mage friend spams weak fireballs at you to pg resistance, but noone does.