German To English and Back Translator

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Talzion

German To English and Back Translator

Post by Talzion »

Okay after being gone for so long I felt welcome when I finally came back to Illarion to have fun again, and I offer a simple Proposal.

A Translator.

The Translator could be either be activated by pressing one of the F keys.
Or by switching your language to the Translator VIA !l German Common
Ect.

The individuals who have 'English' in their settings of Illarion will be able to see the German Text as English and for the Germans, English to German for them.

A relatively short on-thought which came into my head just so Spontaneously. I felt it was a kind of 'Given' since most of my Friends are basically German and I only wish to speak with them in common language, Heh.

The Translator could be set for other Languages too, but the main thing would be German to English.

As I cannot understand what people are saying and it Confuzzles me as to weither or not they are insulting me or not XD.

Hope this is a good Idea <3
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

So you want our staff make a whole databank to translate every possible german word to english and back, I think that would be quiete some work on the other side the translation will be crap as some sentences can't be simply translated 1:1 from english to german, unless you want see things like "if people bad and jevil become", its better to learn the language instead of using a "crappy" translator.
Talzion

Post by Talzion »

Pellandria wrote:So you want our staff make a whole databank to translate every possible german word to english and back, I think that would be quiete some work on the other side the translation will be crap as some sentences can't be simply translated 1:1 from english to german, unless you want see things like "if people bad and jevil become", its better to learn the language instead of using a "crappy" translator.
...Touche`
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Plus, spelling errors, accents etc. would ruin it.

Seems a bit pointless.

Seems a LOT pointless.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

i don't see a translator functioning with the different speech specialities of orcs, lizards and dwarves.
nor with simple group slang.
Ivar Kraftimarm

Post by Ivar Kraftimarm »

maybe you can do some standard phrases like "#me yawns" or "#me nods" in a pulldown menu. the player chooses it in its own language and everyone will see it in the other language. so you can show "ich bin müde, ich geh ins bett" ("i'm tired, i go to bed") with a "#me yawns" which everyone else sees as "#me gähnt".
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

It would be very nice to have... even limited to the common language and even with errors. At least you could get a gist of what is said. How many have actually learned the other language, a few know some words, but enough to converse, to RP? Not many. This would be a huge advantage to communication if possible to do and I would rather have this then some other ideas done and posted.

A couple of days ago I had a nice RP with a german speaker:
him: #me (unknown)
me: *me took some bottles from the depot and looked up nodding to the man
him: #me grinned (unknown)

This was very nice of the PO to at least #me, some just walk off doing nothing, however even a small gist ...mispelled, of what he said, and the same with what I said could have made it so much more interesting.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I see no real way doing this.

For sure it would wipe our all older computers who can barely run Illarion now, since the client requires additional ressources to check the word book.

Beside this the client size would grow up alot, since there has to be a word book included with a descent amount of words in it.

Then its needed to have a kind of language detection, to the client does not try to "translate" english text again.

Beside the points that we will loose all players on older computers and get the hate of all players who have slow connections, it would be a HUGE amount of work, to code something like this client sided. And since Nop is short at time, I can't see who could do this.

Nitram
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Don't you think it would make much more sense to make the client able to copy the text in the chatbox to the clipboard? One can insert text from the clipboard to it, thus I assume it is at least possible. Then, you can use any online translator as well as other handy things (e.g. repeating a sentence without having it to type twice). Coding a translator that is embedded into the game is IMHO beyond any discussion.
Juliana D'cheyne

Estralis Seborian wrote:Don't you think it would make much more sense to make the client able to copy the text in the chatbox to the clipboard? One can insert text from the clipboard to it, thus I assume it is at least possible. Then, you can use any online translator as well as other handy things (e.g. repeating a sentence without having it to type twice). Coding a translator that is embedded into the game is IMHO beyond any discussion.
This would be wonderful.. some may not be able to have both game and translator going.. but those with a little faster computer may. It would be very helpful in RP for those that are able to.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I have no idea how and if that works in Java. But how to select the text that shall be copied? Just everything in the chat box or only the last line? Last line is a disadvantage if many players are around, or the other player just corrects a word from the text he wrote before.

Nitram
Juliana D'cheyne

Nitram wrote:I have no idea how and if that works in Java. But how to select the text that shall be copied? Just everything in the chat box or only the last line? Last line is a disadvantage if many players are around, or the other player just corrects a word from the text he wrote before.

Nitram
Everything in the chat box would work provided it is not the scrolled up one, but the one that shows usually (I am thinking the scrolled up one would be too large for most online translators), it can be translated, then when another line is added by the player, copied again and you only have to read the last line of the translator. If just the last line is selected, you may miss the previous one. If not possible to get just the text in the chat box unscrolled, is it possible to be able to copy the last four to five lines?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Press f10.

Click and drag over the text and it gets highlighted. Press ctrl and c.

Surely there's some way to put this into the interface... I mean, you can do pasting already.