Question about the new Crafting system

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Question about the new Crafting system

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I have heard all sorts of rumors about the new crafting system, and I am scared to do anything long-range 'crafting wise'.

There are many characters, especially mine, who are in the middle of Orders for other players, building projects or other 'future' plans. It would be detrimental to all this RP if suddenly the new system conflicts with what the characters are doing/planning. Will the new system mess with our skills, or just 'change' the way things are crafted?

Some 'vague' answers to this question would really help crafting characters better 'prepare' for the change and keep RP flowing smootly.

Question: What are some of the changes with the new Crafting system and how will our 'skills' be affected?

Does anyone know? I would prefer a GM, but perhaps someone knows?

Thank you.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I assume your crafting skill will remain intact, though the system will change.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The answer is pretty simple.

Your skills remain. All but the alchemie skill, that disappears completly. ( the most items of that crafting type is now linked to other skills, so as brewing drinks is the skill "cooking" in the new crafting system )

All in all the real effect on the items you make is that the quality of the items is better. Exspecially the durability. Its nonsense that a recently crafted shoe is "very old" or something from the beginning on.

That won't happen in the new system. The difference between a good crafter and a beginner crafter is mainly the amount of misstakes ( that is much lower then in the current system too ), the working time and the quality ( not the durability ).

Question answered?

Nitram
Pia Dandelion

Post by Pia Dandelion »

Hello!
Nitram wrote:Your skills remain. All but the alchemie skill, that disappears completly. ( the most items of that crafting type is now linked to other skills, so as brewing drinks is the skill "cooking" in the new crafting system )
Does that mean, that characters with the alchemie skill will loose this skill without any compensation?

With kind regards
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Compensation?
For one singel skill?

Be happy that it's just one skill and not a complet wipe.
Pia Dandelion

Post by Pia Dandelion »

Jupiter wrote:Compensation?
For one singel skill?

Be happy that it's just one skill and not a complet wipe.
It was just a question. But I have to admit that I'm a little bit surprised that the druids don't complain. ;)
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I think you would feel the same if the "one skill" was a skill that you had spent the most time working on ;)
Theon

Post by Theon »

It sounded like the skill's actually being taken from the game and mixed in with others?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Nitram wrote:The difference between a good crafter and a beginner crafter is mainly the amount of misstakes ( that is much lower then in the current system too ), the working time and the quality ( not the durability ).
I find that seriously interesting.
You say there will be a 'working time' for each item?
Is it as simple as it is said, or care to explain further?
E.g.: Will each time require an amount of time to make, so power gaming in somehow avoided?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Karl wrote:E.g.: Will each time require an amount of time to make, so power gaming in somehow avoided?
Exactly.

About the alchemie skill. Its taken away for now completly indeed. Maybe there will be any compensation with the druids system that will be included sooner or later.

Nitram
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

I don't mind the alchemy skill being removed, it was kind of a pain anyways. I have a feeling I'll really like this system ^^
Lamar

Post by Lamar »

when will the new system run?
any idea?
thank you
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Nitram wrote:
Karl wrote:E.g.: Will each time require an amount of time to make, so power gaming in somehow avoided?
Exactly.

About the alchemie skill. Its taken away for now completly indeed. Maybe there will be any compensation with the druids system that will be included sooner or later.

Nitram
I may be misunderstanding, the skill obtained using the Alchemy... the potions the char is able to make, this will be in with other skills I assume. As far as
Compensation?
For one singel skill?

Be happy that it's just one skill and not a complet wipe
I think it depends how long a char has worked on it. I have worked fairly hard on the skill but don't mind it being gone as long as it is mixed with other skills.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Achae Eanstray,

now we are forewarned.
so do just, what i will do.
i will brew now as much, as i can, to have a stock, till my char can brew again with the new system.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Nitram,

Thank you for the answer, that was exactly what I needed to hear. It sounds Awesome!

One more question though,

If Alchemie is eliminated, what happens to Dye-making???

Dusty has given classes in how to Dye, will I be able to continue to?
Pia Dandelion

Post by Pia Dandelion »

Hello!
Juniper Onyx wrote:If Alchemie is eliminated, what happens to Dye-making???
Thanks Dusty, that would have been my next question, too.
I hope that Dye-making will be part of the tailoring skill. ;)

With kind regards
Calenleia

Post by Calenleia »

Juniper Onyx wrote:
If Alchemie is eliminated, what happens to Dye-making???

Dusty has given classes in how to Dye, will I be able to continue to?
SO was I ;)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Narmir wrote:I think you would feel the same if the "one skill" was a skill that you had spent the most time working on ;)
My char is a druid, and also one of the best chars in alchemie i guess.

But I do not complain, because then there are not so much wannbe alchemist around
( Nothing against chars who Rpig it ver well^^ )
Pia Dandelion wrote:Hello!
Juniper Onyx wrote:If Alchemie is eliminated, what happens to Dye-making???
Thanks Dusty, that would have been my next question, too.
I hope that Dye-making will be part of the tailoring skill. ;)

With kind regards
Nitram told me once that dye-making will be a part of the tailoring skill, like makeing cider etc. comes to cooking.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Correct. Making dyes is in future part of the tailoring skill.

Nitram
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Nitram wrote:Correct. Making dyes is in future part of the tailoring skill.

Nitram
Yaaayyyyy!!!!!

Nitram, you're the best!!!!

Thank you.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Compared to the actual system:

Do you need more/less mouseclicks and more/less time to make a given amount of an item?

And what's about the learning curve/time?

Thanks for potential answers :).
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

as i know it

less mouseklicks. But more time.
really good items can need a lot of time to craft. But you can roleplay during production ;)

the learning time is hard to balance. We have no real server knowledge how fast or slow it goes. So this will be balanced during the real server test.

The only thing i know. With one mouse click you have more than one "point of learning" so i don't think that its faster but for example you can produce something with one click and increase your skill more with one click than in the old system with 100 mouse clicks.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Miklorius wrote:Do you need more/less mouseclicks and more/less time to make a given amount of an item?
Thats pretty hard to compare, since the main idea is different.
If you take the ressource gathlering ( e.g. mining ) or the ressource refining ( e.g. making ingots ) you need alot less clicks then currently. Maybe you know how the flailing of grain works currently. It basically works this way with all ressource related actions. You start the action (e.g. mining) like you did now too. Then your character starts working, until your character is overloaded, the source is empty, your tool is broken, your character moved or you are attacked. The speed you get the ressources with is related to your skill. While you are working this way you can still roleplay. :)

With the producing of final items (e.g. smithing) its slightly different. The amount of ressources increase alot. The different at this point is that you produce the items in steps. Each step requires only ressources of one type and each step takes a certin ( skill related ) time. In case your character has the ressources for the next step, the character automatically works on. But you don't have to finish a item at once. You can leave it unfinished ( its useless then ) and work on later.
All in all you need much more time, ressources and clicks ( if you don't carry all the ressources with you ) to make a item. But for every single step you can get a skill gain :)
Miklorius wrote:And what's about the learning curve/time?
That should be basically the same. But the items you can produce are better spreaded on the skill levels. So you don't learn 10 items at once, but for example with smithing you learn until level 60 at every skill gain a new item. After this at every second skillgain. I think thats much more motivating :)

Nitram
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

Nitram i love you for this crafting system, will you marry me?

Sorry but i have to say it again. I really like it. And this system will be a reason to start again playing. I know the basics from the test server but i will try it out really on the rl server.
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

Just to be perfectly clear: you will[\i] be able to talk/emote, just not actually move, during the crafting process, correct? Because with the current flailing method, if you say anything, you 'interrupt your work'.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Yes. Talking and Emoting is possible ^^
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Sounds awesome, I hope the system comes soon : ).
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Cookies for Nitters!

But uhm, will chopping wood and such drain energy too now? As much as realism goes in a game like Illa, I still think it should.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:But uhm, will chopping wood and such drain energy too now? As much as realism goes in a game like Illa, I still think it should.
Yes ^^
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

I love you Nitram....this system sounds amazing