Monster luring

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Samantha Meryadeles

Monster luring

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Okay...i think this is going too far now these days. Too often now players thought they are funny when they lure dangerous monsters to Trollsbane or other towns and let them go on rampage. That is not funny. It is simply abusing of technical facts and stupid. Please stop that.

Stop opening portals at monster spawns, like the one of the demon skeletons, just for luring those into town. it is cheap and also unfair.

Stop luring the golem to the arena to hide behind a bush and kill it without getting hurt. too often because of that golems enter the town and kill too many chars. it is not just cheating, it is also bad for the game. golems are too dangerous to have them in town that often. It would be nice if GM's could do something against that.

thanks, and now stop abusing portals for luring monsters and having other chars die!

And yes, it IS known who does such stuff.
Last edited by Samantha Meryadeles on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Right.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Can we have a monster spawn limit area or something? Similar to "Monsters can't move near the cross" Monsters can't step out of their areas? Or why on earth DO they have the ability to use portals?
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Otherwise, use portal=easy escape. And for yor whole post, easy escape I think.
Athian

Post by Athian »

luring monsters is not a problem, most monsters will stop chasing you once you leave there sight range. and any monster not facing you (like a golem looking toward the arena for instance) will not attack anyone who doesn't Crtl+click it, you can stand right behind them and nothing will happen. Problem is that when people do crtl+click these baddies, or are being chased they like to run into town where other people may be around, this gives the chance that the monster will chase other people once your out of it's sight range. They are effectively dumping there problems onto other people. there's no rule against this, but it does suck for everyone else.

As to portals, maybe disable them for monsters. though i guess that would take away the danger of using them in dangerous situations, since you don't have to worry about being followed.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

And also a monster could then stand on portals, blocking you from going through, like they do with ladders.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

if you are not yet clouded, monsters on ladders are no problem. just push them diagonally. the time, they need to come back the two steps, you can use to climb the ladder.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

So, in real life I could go through this portal? But I could not push a monster through it? I do not really like pushing monsters through portals, but it has been done by many players and has been used in some past Gm quests. You loose a bit of skill and maybe a bit of coins from getting killed by a monster.

If it annoys you soooooo much just rp it as a monster wandering into town.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think this is cheating too, but I guess gm's don't think so. To be honest why pushing even still exists I don't understand, its an entirely unfair technical ability. Right click "push" pushing the person in a random direction of your strength and agility is high enough then they get pushed. If you tried this on a golem I think you'd probobly fail everytime. I think monsters need to have a "range" limit, where they don't chase someone past, so people can't lure them to abusable places like the arena.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Then people would sit a space or two outside of the chase range and smack the npc's with long weapons or skill up there distance weapons
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Athian wrote:Then people would sit a space or two outside of the chase range and smack the npc's with long weapons or skill up there distance weapons
Distance weapons maybe, but I think the monsters would return to their spawn area, and attacking them would make you too slow to catch up with them.
Athian

Post by Athian »

That requires changing the NPC behavior however, as you know the moment you Crtl click one of them they come running at your immediatly. Unless there were an obstruction between you and the monster in question it would likely just pace back and forth in front of you but not be able to cross the area designation
Kurga Wolfbane

Post by Kurga Wolfbane »

Ok, I think all this discussion is pointless.

Who need to push a monster? If I open a portal, I could stand behind it and let the monster go though. It's happened many times.

Who needs a 'range' for monsters to attack you? There is one already and it's called agility. The faster you run, the easier it is to lose the monster. Plus, we have the added benefit of ladders and doors.

A really creative, and ruthless character will always find new and creative ways to screw over people, um....like those Stone Golems in Trollsbane? One in the Tavern and one in Elizas shop? Hehe. That was fun!

In the words of that famous American Philosopher 'Eric Cartman': "Quit yer Bitchin!"

Someone please close this topic please.
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

if you say so Kurga. I got ghosted 4-5 times that night so not really all that fun for me. There does need to be a way to keep monsters from entering the town. Make it where the doors on the gates close automatically after a few seconds so that if someone runs in they are closed behind them and the monster can't get in. It could have been done in Medival times with a counterweight system. And disable monsters through portals. Problem solved
Samantha Meryadeles

Kurgang it is no fun if characters gets clouded many times often because of monsters lured into town by other chars. that is not better than killing them yourself. it is sad if you cant be in trollsbane, the town for all new chars, without getting attacked often by some of the most powerful monsters on the isle.
if you think its fun luring monsters into town and have many other characters getting killed due this...then maybe illarion is not the right game for you. since its not about having fun killing other chars.

it is simply unfair. Golems are the most powerful creatures ingame...there is NO need for them to be often in trollsbane. No need. they havent created such monsters just to have them being lured into town by players who can't think of something better just because they like it that those golems kill so many other chars
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

So if you make a murderer you are not allowed to have fun playing that char?
Samantha Meryadeles

if you do it with roleplay and not just hackn slay theres nothing wrong with it. but luring so powerful monsters into town has to do few with roleplay. its simply clouding as much chars as possible. its not better then ctrl+click other chars without warning or roleplay. you jiust dont do it yourself but let an npc do it for you
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

we need a NPC townguard in trollshome!

(like in baldur's gate
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

i agree with you samantha on the topic i was just being difficult, i apologize. But last time there was an attack it was pretty fun for me because i didnt get clouded at all.
Kurga Wolfbane

Post by Kurga Wolfbane »

Complaints are all I hear.

Seems the GM's can bring in Dragons and such. Is this bad too?

There's no difference between luring monsters into town and fleeing from them because they are so fast!

How would you know the difference?

And BTW, Kurga helped kill both those Golems, got all the treasure and was thanked for 'saving the town'. If Kurga was evil, she wouldn't have stayed. OOC, Kurga just loves a good fight and will stand by anyone in battle if they also fight well.

BTW, Kurga also saved Greenbriar just a few nights ago too.

Orcs aren't all bad, just misunderstood.
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

you are right Kurga, you did help against both golems. But so did Artirius, who in turn, got ghosted about 4-5 times. Miru got ghosted... like 5-6 times or something like that. Kiilii got ghosted once or twice. and everyone else who fought, except Merri and Thomas, also got ghosted. Taliss was there and i believe he even got ghosted. Something needs to be done to protect the town. There are to many new characters and characters with no defense (like mages with no teachers and crafters) for golems and red skeletons to be running lose in the streets. Something needs to be done to auto-close the door, disable the monsters from entering town, or a npc guard that can kill any monster very quickly. It is a simple thing that really and truly needs to be done to better the game for all
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

This isn't about Kurga. This is about players/characters who lure monsters in for fun just to get people clouded. Golems are so slow it is not hard to out run them.

At the same time, there are people who lure the monsters to the arena and attack them from behind the bushes where they can't get hit. They do this for training and monitary gain. Sometimes when they do this they can't kill the monster and it may wander off and attack someone else.

Oh, and Erik Cartman isn't a famous philosopher. He's just a cartoon character from a hillarious show. "Respect m' athorita!"
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

i never said this was about Kurga. Artirius fought by her said many times, and i have NEVER seen her lure a creature into town. I was simply pointing out some things she may not have remebered about that night the two golems went wild in bane
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Oh, sorry. No, I'm not talking to you specifically. I'm talking to PO Kurga who seemed to get rather defencive all of a sudden. I'm letting him/her know that in no way are we pinning this on Kurga.
Salhari

Post by Salhari »

oh ok. Yeah as far as i know not a single person here blames Kurga, and from what i have seen her PO do lets hope they don't ;)
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Kurga Wolfbane wrote:Ok, I think all this discussion is pointless.

Who need to push a monster? If I open a portal, I could stand behind it and let the monster go though. It's happened many times.

Who needs a 'range' for monsters to attack you? There is one already and it's called agility. The faster you run, the easier it is to lose the monster. Plus, we have the added benefit of ladders and doors.

A really creative, and ruthless character will always find new and creative ways to screw over people, um....like those Stone Golems in Trollsbane? One in the Tavern and one in Elizas shop? Hehe. That was fun!

In the words of that famous American Philosopher 'Eric Cartman': "Quit yer Bitchin!"

Someone please close this topic please.
I admire you to the fullest extent that admiration allows me to go without being homosexual.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i dont like the fact that players actually do that shit. Though i like going in and fighting whatever monster was left behind, its still bad. Why dont we just have more uber monster attacks
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Kurga Wolfbane wrote:Ok, I think all this discussion is pointless.
Discussing rampant abuse of technics and how to solve it isn't pointless, and if you think it is then don't participate! Its pointless to participate in a pointless discussion no? :roll:
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Korm Kormsen wrote:we need a NPC townguard in trollshome!

(like in baldur's gate
The staff has talked about that for a long time and found several times that it's simply not able to be implemented yet or, at least, none of us know how. =)

The problem always arrives at wiring up the NPC's AI so it differentiates between what or who should be attacked and what shouldn't, and when it should be active or not, and how it should decide that it is no longer needed to be active.
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

It's a good idea, really. But it cannot be used against CPUs, because then it's just redundant Hero VS. Bad guys.