The Town of Troll's Bane - Public Board

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Troll's Bane

The Town of Troll's Bane - Public Board

Post by Troll's Bane »

Welcome to Troll’s Bane,

the town of trade, knowledge, gathering, pleasure and peace in the centre of Gobiath.

This Public Town Board gives you the opportunity to make any comments or start discussions concerning the Town of Troll's Bane, its Government, latest events or incidents. It is made for feedback of any person who wishes to express the own opinion about any issues concerning the town.
It is for any news or information you want to give to the Government of Troll's Bane or its Citizens in public.

General information about the Town, its Government, the Town Laws and about much more are provided at the Official Town Board of the Town of Troll's Bane. Official announcements will be hang up there, too.
You can find that board here:

The Town of Troll's Bane - Official Board
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

What is the extent of the powers of the Magistrate and the Captain of the Town Guard? Are the limited in any way?

My opinions of the two positions.

Magistrate - Should decide the sentence given to minor criminals. Would be much nicer than a long trial process. They should be limited on the punishments they can give to the people. Perhaps writing a maximum/minimum sentence in the town laws is needed. I do not think a magistrate should have near the powers of the last one, such as using any form of dangerous combat. This is why we have a town guard.

Captain of the Town Guard - Should have access to train and recruit new guards. Can jail for mild crimes(until the magistrate may deal with the accused) and give short bans for smaller ones. Also may give larger bans to those with any real threat to the town. May use force to enforce the law.

I also think a group of four to ten people is needed that are well versed in the laws of the Troll's Bane. Ones that may decide upon punishments for more violent criminals.

Reader, please let me know what you think.

~Dain~Laiden~
Siltaris

Post by Siltaris »

Dain Laiden,

the laws concerning your suggestions are nearly finished and will be puplished soon.
I can state that most of your suggestions already have been included before, in particular your suggestions concerning the Magistrate and the Captain.

In a few days the laws will be published.
I will ask all of you for comments then.

~Siltaris~
Governor of Troll's Bane
Nordmark

Post by Nordmark »

with permission of trollsbane's governer:

many travellers pass through trollsbane.
so we thought, it might be a good idea to anounce the laws of the Nordmark here.
just to evade unnecessary inconviniences.

in old and new language:
Reisende, merkt auf!

Gesetze der Nordmark:

1) Jedermann hat das Recht in der ganzen Mark Waffen offen zu tragen.
(Ausnahme – Gefangene)

2) Die Gerichtsbarkeit liegt bei den Jarlen. (Klanfuehrern)
Die Versammlung aller Jarle kann Urteile der einzelnen Jarle aufheben.
Mitglieder eines Klans werden nur von ihrem eigenen Jarl oder von der Versammlung der Jarle verurteilt.
Klanlose Buerger und Fremde unterliegen der Gerichtsbarkeit des Jarls, der sich als erster der Sache annimmt.

3) Strafbare Handlungen – Strafen

Totschlag – Wergeld (Entschaedigung)
Mord – qualvolle Hinrichtung und Wergeld oder Verbannung
Diebstahl oder Betrug – Wergeld und Verbannung
Landfriedensbruch – Verbannung oder qualvolle Hinrichtung
Anwendung von Magie - Verbannung oder Hinrichtung (einschliesslich magische Tore, Ausnahme magische Heilung)

Die Versuche sind strafbar.

Bei unklaren Faellen kann der Jarl ein Gottesurteil anordnen. (Duell)

4) Verbannte buerger werden begnadigt, wenn sie eine heldenhafte Tat zugunsten der Mark vollbringen (Fremde koennen begnadigt werden,...)

Neue Gesetze werden beschlossen, und bestehende geaendert vom Allthing (Versammlung aller Buerger)
Alle Jarls gemeinsam koennen neue Gesetze oder Gesetzesaenderungen ablehnen.

Gesetze fuer Fremde
Jeder, der nicht verbannt ist, darf die Mark frei bereisen und auch frei Handel treiben.
Wer ohne Erlaubniss eines Jarl mehr als drei von einer Sache pro Tag vom Land nimmt, begeht Diebstahl
(3 Aepfel, 3 Baeume, 3 Kaninchen, usw.)
Ausnahme – Druiden duerfen soviel Kraeuter und Pflanzen sammeln, wie sie wollen.

Um gesetzlose, die in die Nordmark eindringen koennten, zu bekaempfen, sind folgende regeln in kraft:

1) alle Nordmarker sind aufgefordert, den ueberall gesuchten verbrecherischen elf "Lonor" zu suchen, gefangen zu nehmen, oder zu erschlagen!
Lonor sieht ungefaehr so aus: achtet auf die beine und fuesse, daran erkennt ihr ihn auch, wenn er vermummt ist. (101905****),

2) jeder, ohne ausnahme jeder fremde, der ab jetzt die Nordmark betritt, und auf anruf nicht seine identitaet preisgibt, ist sofort zu bekaempfen!

3) jeder vermummte, der in der Nordmark angetroffen wird, ist sofort zu bekaempfen!

5) der anruf soll sein: "Nordmark! Wer seid ihr?"
keine antwort oder jede andere antwort als der name des reisenden wird als feindliche handlung genommen!

fuer die Nordmark: Jarl Tjalf Kormson

-------------------------------------------------------------

travellers, pay atention!

Laws of the Nordmark:

1) In the Mark everybody has the right to carry arms freely.
(exception – prisoners)

2) The Jarls (clanchiefs) act as judges.
The council of all jarls can revise sentences by single jarls.
Members of a clan are to be judged only by their own Jarl or by the council of Jarls.
Clanless citizens and strangers are to be judged by the Jarl, who first becomes active on the case.

3) Punishable deeds – Punishments

Manslaughter – Weregild (payment for the victim)
Murder – torturous execution and Weregild or banishment.
Theft or fraud – Weregild and banishment
Breach of public peace – banishment or torturous execution.
Use of magic – banishment or execution (including magic portals, not including magic healing)

Attempts are punishable.

In unclear cases the Jarl may order a divine judgement (duell)

4) Banned citizens will be pardoned, if they acomplish a heroic act that helps the Mark. (strangers may be pardoned,...)

New Laws are given, and existing laws are changed by the Allthing (assembly of all citizens)
All Jarls together can veto laws or changes of laws.

laws for foreigners

Jeder, der nicht verbannt ist, darf die Mark frei bereisen und auch frei Handel treiben.
Wer ohne Erlaubniss eines Jarl mehr als drei von einer Sache pro Tag vom Land nimmt, begeht Diebstahl
(3 Aepfel, 3 Baeume, 3 Kaninchen, usw.)
Ausnahme – Druiden duerfen soviel Kraeuter und Pflanzen sammeln, wie sie wollen.

Everybody, who is not banned, may travel freely in the Mark and sell or buy goods.
Who, without permission of a Jarl, takes more from the land than three is guilty of theft.
(3 apples, 3 trees, 3 rabbits, etc.)
Exception – Druids may collect as much herbs and plants, as they want.

To fight the outlaws, that might enter the Nordmark, following rules are enacted:

1) all Nordmarkers are called, to hunt down, capture or kill the criminal elf "Lonor", who is sought by many towns!
Lonor looks more or less like this: look at the feet and legs, they will betray him even when in disguyse. (101905****),

2) each and every stranger, without exception, who enters the Nordmark from now on, and does not state his identity on being called, is to be attacked immediately!

3) each cloaked or disguised person, who will be found in the Nordmark, is to be attacked immediately!

5) the call shall be: "Nordmark! Wer seid ihr?" (meaning: "who are you?")
no answer, or any other answer, but the name of the traveller will be taken as a hostile act!

for the Nordmark: Jarl Tjalf Kormson
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I think goals like this:
The Government of the Town of Troll’s Bane needs a certain amount of money to be able to work effectively. To gain this money there are some Taxes, Fees and Charges necessary.
For reasons of transparency and reliability, the incomes and expenditures are listed.
should be applauded. It's good to see that it's at least a goal, if not full practice, that you will try for transparency, the best method to combat corruption. It seems the previous governor was running a personal business of the towns land, and ended up keeping the profits without stating them.

But these good changes are almost shadowed by odd policies, like having to take an oath to be a citizen? Is that not a bit extreme of a practice, to be left for 'knights' and cults?

Just some thoughts,

F
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

My eyes are starting to itch profusely!

~Brer Beothach~
Troll's Bane

Post by Troll's Bane »

Dear Citizens of Troll's Bane, dear folks of Gobiath,

the Town Board was updated. The Constitutional Law // Staatsrecht is now available on the Public Board of Troll's Bane.

Please feel free to comment here on the new laws.

~Siltaris~
Governor of Troll's Bane
Troll's Bane

Post by Troll's Bane »

Dear Citizens of Troll's Bane, dear folks of Gobiath,

I am glad and proud to inform you about two issues.

First, the position of 'Protectors of Troll's Bane' has been filled up with four honorable persons of the Knighthood of Troll's Bane. Their names are:

- Sir Dantagon Marescot
- Squire Gildon de Vymont
- Squire Amroth Surion
- Page Jorokar Sladrir

Troll's Bane thanks them for their will to support the town. May this be the beginning for a glorious future, where the Knighthood and Troll's Bane work together for peace and justice.

Second, the Town welcomes two new Citizens. Their names are added to the list. Welcome to Troll's Bane!

~Siltaris~
Governor of Troll's Bane
Last edited by Troll's Bane on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

This is all very well, but in the case of all the squires, who do they have loyalty to first? The town of Trollsbane or to the leader of their faction?
Skaalib
Troll's Bane

Post by Troll's Bane »

Troll's Bane Town Law wrote:§3 Town Guard

h) There is the opportunity for people who are not Citizens of Troll’s Bane to join the Town Guard, if the Government has special trust in the person’s reliability, sincereness and respectability.
These persons will have the rank of an ‘Protector of Troll’s Bane’. Protectors are guardians who have not sworn the Citizen Oath and who can be citizens of another town or members of another guild and who are willing to support the town Troll’s Bane. A protector has the same rights like a Town Guard as well as the same duties. As long as a Protector is in within the territory of Troll’s Bane he is obliged to be loyal to the Town just the way as he would be citizen or a Town Guard.
Protectors have to follow to the Governor’s orders at first; they also have to follow orders of the Captain of Troll’s Bane and the Magistrate.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

So, may I confirm that to be a guard you can only be a citizen of Trollsbane, and have no affliation with other guilds, but to become a citizen you can already be a citizen of another city/guild/faction.
But for this to be true the board must be wrong. I am most perplexed, for all these 'Protectors' are citizens of Trollsbane, yet not allowed to be guards.
Skaalib
Troll's Bane

Post by Troll's Bane »

To be a Town Guard you need to be a Citizen of Troll's Bane and must not be member of another fightung guild (e.g. knighthood). To be a Citizen of Troll's Bane you must not be Citizen of another Town of Gobiath.

Now, there is the opportunity for some people who are member of another town and/or another fighting guild (e.g. knighthood) to become part of the Town Guard - not as Recruits and not as official Town Guard, but as 'Protectors'.

Protectors are more independent from the Town and only have to follow the orders of the Government of Troll's Bane if they are within the territory of Troll's Bane.
Some persons of the Knighthood of Gobaith now have joined as Protectors - they are more independent of the Town and are not under the direct and soley command of the Captain of Troll's Bane at any time (like the Town Guards/Recruits are).
It was not necessary that these persons of the Knighthood are citizens of Troll's Bane, although they are.
Consequently, the Knighthood of Gobiath and the Town Guard still are two different institutions - at the same time the Town Guard has support by the Knighthood.

Being a Protector of Troll's Bane is a privilege only those will get who have the trust of the Troll's Bane Government and who have a ceratin level of experience in fighting.
The usual way to become part of the Town Guard of Troll's Bane still is to join the Town Guard as recruit or Guard.

I hope I was able to clarify these issues.

Sincerely,
~Siltaris~
Governor of Troll's Bane
Callith

Post by Callith »

To the guards

Would all guards and recruit please write me a letter or speak to me in person as soon as possible, I would like to arrange a meeting to discuss several aspects of the guards future.

Also anyone who has already expressed interest in joining and anyone who wishes to join, please send me a letter to confirm it, if I have not yet met with you, I will arrange a time to meet you in person.

Callith
Captain of the Guard.
Kurga Wolfbane

Post by Kurga Wolfbane »

Meh wants to beh a 'Protector' ob Trollsbane. Meh hab many friends dere and visit often. Knights not only ones dat care.

Meh know dis strange request, but meh dinks ib sum Orcs do gud, sum Orcs do bad, it balance out. Meh already 'protectin' peeps dere anyways. Meh waits yur reply.

~Warrior Queen Kurga Wolfbane
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

I object to this, Kurga being a protector. While she may truly by respectful, she herself claims that here honor stands before the law, and thus that she would break the law for her honor.

I personally have no aversion to Kurga, but I do say this for the better of the city and its citizens.

~ Jorokar Sladrir
Page of the Knights of Gobaith
Kurga Wolfbane

Post by Kurga Wolfbane »

Troll's Bane wrote: Now, there is the opportunity for some people who are member of another town and/or another fighting guild (e.g. knighthood) to become part of the Town Guard - not as Recruits and not as official Town Guard, but as 'Protectors'.

Protectors are more independent from the Town and only have to follow the orders of the Government of Troll's Bane if they are within the territory of Troll's Bane.
Some persons of the Knighthood of Gobaith now have joined as Protectors - they are more independent of the Town and are not under the direct and soley command of the Captain of Troll's Bane at any time (like the Town Guards/Recruits are).

Being a Protector of Troll's Bane is a privilege only those will get who have the trust of the Troll's Bane Government and who have a ceratin level of experience in fighting.

Sincerely,
~Siltaris~
Governor of Troll's Bane
Where say anyding bout Law? It say meh follow wad Guvnor say. Ib guvnor say follow law, meh no read Oomie laws too gud, but meh follow wad he say. Dat Honor and Duty. It more Honor and Glory to Orcs to follow Duty to Clan dan personal Honor. Clan Orcs follow meh cause it duty and Honor to Clan. Ib I no do Clan Honor, meh looks weak and Orcs no follow meh no more.

Dis chance to bring Honor and Glory to Clan, rather dan Jail sentences. Meh be 'protector' and follow wad guvnor say when meh in Trollsbane. Dat more Honor to Clan dan meh personal Honor. History say Orcs protect Trollbane before long time ago.

Glory to Clan Bloodskull!
Barel von Hearth

Post by Barel von Hearth »

note written in legible common but it is obvious the writer is not used to it

T'wn of Trolls Bane and Governour Siltaris,

As mei wrote ter ye earlier governour Siltaris da' orcess called Kurga openly attack'd mei in der shop in Trolls Bane fer the simple fact dat I didn' speak ter her. I nev'r issulted her, although she did call mei stumpie! All Ir did was grunt and growl once when she spit at mei. It be mei righ' ter talk ter whom ever I wan' or to choose not ter talk to someone. I care not if yer make dis orcess as protectorate or wha' ever its called! Jus' thought dat Trolls Bane should know!

signature is in dwarven,

~ Barel ~
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

I have reason believe that you is stupid.

Kurga is smart.

That be all.

¡ZUB!
Kurga Wolfbane

Post by Kurga Wolfbane »

Yubba, yoo all know Da Wharfs (Stumpies) is all liars and dieves. Dey march round town like dey own place. When dey cause trubble, dey hide in Tavern sayin "Dis Silverbrand!" Hur Hur! Meh no see mountains in Tavern. Tavern in Trollsbane, it part ob Trollsbane. Dis not hard understand, but some Oomies scared ob Da Wharfs (Stumpies) and leaves dem alone. Meh nebber seen any Da Wharf (Stumpy) spend time in Jail. Is dat fairs? Ib meh protector and Da Wharfs causin trubble, meh gib Justice, eben in Tavern. Dat Fair.

Meh not trust dem, but ib Guvnor trust dem, meh no want beh protector den. Meh not work fur stoopids, but try bring Honor to clan by protectin innocents who hab nuthin gainst dishonorable criminals who kill dem anyways. Ask poor Halbling Merrilyn who was attacked fur doin nuthin! Dere many odders.

Meh jus tryin to help and bring Honor to Orc Clan.

Troll's Bane

Post by Troll's Bane »

Queen Kurga Wolfbane,

Troll's Bane has good relations to the dwarves and highly trusts Silverbrand.
If you are not willing to accept that, there is no opportunity for you to become Protector of Troll's Bane.
Furthermore you would have to accept the Laws of Troll's Bane and must not put matters of honor higher than the town's laws.

So, thank you for your offer. Unfortunately, it seems time is not ready, yet, for such close relations between your Clan and Troll's Bane.

Sincerely,
~Siltaris~
Governor of Troll's Bane
Kurga Wolfbane

Post by Kurga Wolfbane »

Keh, dank yoo fur response Guvnor.

Yubba, meh not want beh protector dan. Meh hope yoo change mind bout Da Wharfs sumday for peoples safety, but meh will still beh friends wid Trollsbane and try not cause trubble. Can't promise no trubble, but meh try.

Callith

Post by Callith »

Bailey Thunnigan has been reinstated as a guard, and she is my second in command, if I am not around you can approach her to join the guard.

Callith
Captain of the guard.
Bailey Thunnigan

Post by Bailey Thunnigan »

I welcome Michael Isman in the Town Guard of Trolls Bane. He has taken the oath and is now officially a recruit of the Town Guard.

For the town, the gods and the comrades,

Bailey Thunnigan
Guard of Trolls Bane
Michael Isman

Post by Michael Isman »

For the town, the Gods, and the comrades!

Michael Isman
Recruit of the Town's Guards
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

I have three points to make on the new laws.
1. Why is thievery considered a 'minor' offense? I would put it up to the next level at the least.
2. Some of the laws are a little vague and ambiguous. For instance the 'disrespect of authority' law. What exactly are you meaning.
3. I find it disgraceful that you have introduced a 'heresy' law concerning the worship of moshran. You are effectively condemning all orcish kin to stay from your ground. I am sure this is an oversight, but one of such scale is unthinkable, and to me it demonstrates what kind of a government this might turn out to be.
Skaalib
Troll's Bane

Post by Troll's Bane »

Skaalib Drurr,

thank you for your comments.
Skaalib Drurr wrote:1. Why is thievery considered a 'minor' offense? I would put it up to the next level at the least.
Rigth you are - it already is changed.
2. Some of the laws are a little vague and ambiguous. For instance the 'disrespect of authority' law. What exactly are you meaning.
Could you write down more vague formulations? Your example is in my opinion not very vague, since it should be quite clear when there was too much disrespectful behaviour - furthermore the authority will say when there have been too many 'easy words' spoken and that it is enough at at certain level.
3. I find it disgraceful that you have introduced a 'heresy' law concerning the worship of moshran. You are effectively condemning all orcish kin to stay from your ground. I am sure this is an oversight, but one of such scale is unthinkable, and to me it demonstrates what kind of a government this might turn out to be.
In the opinion of the Government the actions done in the name of this God or 'religion' are disgraceful. The faith of its followers and the actions done by them to follow their faith goes against everything the Town Laws stands for. So it is only logic that any actions done in the name of Moshran on the territory of Troll's Bane are forbidden. It is forbidden to praise that God on the territory of Troll's Bane.
There is no word in the law which forbids anyone to change the faith. It is only agaisnt any actions done in the name of Moshran.
That means that everyone who beleives in Moshran is still allowed to be in Troll's Bane. But the person must not show what his faith is in any way.

I hope the opinion of the Government became clear and that you understand this position.

~Siltaris~
Governor of Troll's Bane
Ku 'Agor

Post by Ku 'Agor »

And for once, I thought Troll's Bane had a respectable Leader.

¡ZUB!
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

I suggest 'Queen' Kurga is banned from Trollsbane after declaring that she will attack anyone who is seen in the tavern and who will not get out. It is not her right to say who can and can't be in the tavern. But I am not sure there is a law that covers this, as technically the tavern is land of Silverbrand. I see a banning as the only way to stop that ridiculous request.
Skaalib
Kurga Wolfbane

Post by Kurga Wolfbane »

Banning meh when meh promise no danger outside lands ob Silberbrand will beh unjust. It will mean Trollsbane side wid Silberbrand and it will beh cause for attacks on Trollsbane itself.

I ask Trollsbane stay Neutral in dis, udderwise, ANYONE in Trollsbane beh attacked.

Weh at War only wid Silberbrand and dose dat support dem.
Includin peeps in Tavern who no stay out ob fight. Meh won't beh surprised by 'innocent bystanders' agains!

Ku 'Agor

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Kurga.

You're making threats to allies we do not want enemies.

¡ZUB!