RP and Ghosting

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Achae Eanstray

RP and Ghosting

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Should you see the ghost? Sometimes people have claimed to see ghosts, at other times not. If you see the ghost, would you recognize who it was? Those that would say they saw one might say it looked like..... ,but others may only see a cloud?

(A question from a discussion between Achae Eanstray and Kevin Lightdot)
Last edited by Achae Eanstray on Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

i try to rp that myx char sees just the ghost, but not who it was
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Pretty sure your not supposed to see the ghost, as you don't see ghosts in real life.. however you may roleplay that you feel a cold feeling as the ghost goes by you, if your so inclined. This is how I roleplay.
Samantha Meryadeles

We are not rl in illa. you dont see demons too in rl, or floating skeletonghosts ;)
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Az recognizes the spirit if its someone he is very close to, but if its just an acquaintance, he just knows there is a spirit
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Retak sees all.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Another thing is, if we didn't see ghosties, then people who are supposed to be beat up and taken to the cross before taken to jail could get away. Then again, this happens regardless. Visible or not. Hmm... What if someones character was ment to be a ghost... That would be interesting. Would they have to get ghosted, or would they simply be called 'Ghost of...'
Errian Abêth

Post by Errian Abêth »

afaik the "ghost" function is only a temporary fallback position until a proper KO system is made .. don't really know if that idea is still present.

There was a KO system once for a few days which didn't work properly. I think it was removed because of the missing graphics of KO people..
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

The thing we meant was: I'm just totaly annoyed that everyone, not only those strong mages rp to be seeing ghosts, and communing with them.
We used to rp them as invisible, there used to be a rule. Ghosts can sometime be interpreted as an uncontious body for the sake of rp, but not as a ghost wich everyone can see. That's how I think of it.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I figure if they wanted ghosts to be invisible they would have been made invisible. I am just practical like that I guess though.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Personally, my chars (all of them) used to 'sense' ghosts ; but not recognise them unless its someone they know a lot and a lot.

Hey, if ghosts are allowed to whisper, then they SHOULD have an effect on the mortal plane
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

to be honest I thought they were to be seen as heavily injured or the like

if nobody should be able to see then, why do we see chars running after ghosts, collecting their stuff and following them to the cross to help them there

or if those ghosts are new players, following them to the cross and explain some things ?!
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Stuff is screwed up right now. We used to have rules.And correcting this now will be impossible.
Heavily injured yes, but a heavily injured man can't walk around to the cross most of the time.

So either we get a few more Gry's to carry people to the cross. :wink:
Or we set some rules.

And with new players it poses a problem, they usualy don't know what to do and just float around trying to talk, but since they can only whisper it's of no help.
Okay guys, brainstorming please.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Easy:

"You have been killed, you are a ghost, you can only whisper #w [text], look for the revive point, for example at the north gate of trollsbane"
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I find it hard to believe that being a ghost makes you heavily injured, because technically you are dead.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

And just as suddenly you pop up alive at the cross.
Or the shrine of Malachin in the caves under the Grey Refuge which has the same powers ;)

PS: I find it highly annoying that ghosts cannot open doors, because someone always has the good idea of closing every door he sees, including the town gates.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Well you should close all gates under an attack, but you are right, ghosts should be able to open doors and even move through people, as sometimes when you die npcs just crowd around your character and do not move after they have killed you.
Samantha Meryadeles

I find it highly annoying that ghosts cannot open doors, because someone always has the good idea of closing every door he sees, including the town gates.
luckily you dont lose anymore skill while being dead, just the moment you die. so it is not that terrible when you cant reach the cross immediately
pharse

Post by pharse »

actually, ghosts should be able to go through doors and walls ;)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Well when Will was once killed about a week after I first played everyone followed him like "ooh he's going that way". I've never seen anyone rp them as invisible and nowadays everyone I've seen says something like "Oh no! [Insert name here]!"

In my eyes you die and then are ressurected by the gods and people can see who you are like Macbeth seeing the ghost of Banquo. Just sort of you in spiritual form with injuries like blood where you were hit and scars and big bulging eyeeeees. Oooh I can't SLEEP at night because o' those BIG BULGING EYEEEES.

So yeah.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

pharse wrote:actually, ghosts should be able to go through doors and walls ;)
No. Problem would be, that people would exploit it to explore parts of the map, which should not be reached.

But i agree, ghosts should be able to open unlocked but closed doors.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Jap, I know.

For new players, they should get a message as Hadrian already stated.

When I died the first time I was completely helpless. I didn´t know how the "yellow cross" looked like. Of course I saw it in TB and I examined it. But I got a message that it was some kind of creature. I was really confused. (yeah, I was the uber n00b 8) )

I think, an image of the cross should be implemented in the manual or something. Or at least if I examine it I should get a message "Yellow cross" (as it is with any other item)
Llama

Post by Llama »

1) techinically, its an NPC.. yeah :P

2) Why do we still call it 'yellow cross'? Can't we have a nice anch?
pharse

Post by pharse »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:1) techinically, its an NPC.. yeah :P
Well, then it could say "Greetings, I am the yellow cross" if I get close to it :o
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Because holy shrines usually do not talk.
Although it happens from time to time that the gods speak through them...

It shouldn't be called "yellow cross" any more.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Easy:

"You have been killed, you are a ghost, you can only whisper #w [text], look for the revive point, for example at the north gate of trollsbane"
Nuh uh Master Llama. You can also do #me's. I like to go #me emits a wail filled with terrible agony and sorrow. Especially I do it by n00bs fresh from creating their first characters cuz they are like wtf is that. And someone is like it is a ghost and they are like omfg.
Llama

Post by Llama »

#me is a ghost...

But, if its a n00b, who just died the first tyme, he might go overboard with the #mes, just knowing that he can communicate #w where can i get revived

is enough....
pharse

Post by pharse »

Adano Eles wrote:Because holy shrines usually do not talk.
orly? ;)

Generally I think, the graphic of a cross isn´t suitable because cross´ origin is Christianity.

What about building up shrines of the different gods. They could look like a small Acropolis or something. (this could be also useful later for priest magic)
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

They aren't crosses any more, as you might have noticed ;)

There are differend altars for the different gods already, though not all are in game yet I think. The shrine of Malachín below the castle even has reviving powers.
Christiana

Post by Christiana »

how about falkners shrine? has it reviving powers?