What makes good rp

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hadre Taliset

What makes good rp

Post by Hadre Taliset »

Not sure if this was done before or not or were this should go. oh well. I have been wondering this everytime i look at, who rp did you like today. so i am here asking, what in your opinion what makes a good rp. something that makes it special from normal old rp.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I'd assume that most of what's called 'good' rp can usually be attributed to two things;

1. The character was enjoyable
2. Descriptions, actions, and speech were well written

I don't think it's fair to classify rp as either good or bad. You're either roleplaying, or you aren't.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

When a scene is so powerful, it elicits real emotional responses from the players (laughter, tears, etc.)

When a scene is so much fun or so suspenseful or so breathtaking you don't ever want it to end.

When another character becomes so deep and real, that you feel like they are literally their own person, and not a 'role' taken on by their player.

When you feel like you are no longer playing your character in a make believe world, but somehow peering through a window at things that are *really* happening.

When your *own* character does something which surprises you.

I'm sure I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Hadre Taliset

Post by Hadre Taliset »

helps a bit thank i get the general idea.
Seuridus

Post by Seuridus »

I think that the thing that makes the best roleplay is sticking true to your character, no matter what is going on outside the game. I have seen some animosity towards others here and I hope that it is not like that all the time. I think maybe it is just that those who express it seem more affected than those who it is directed to? Hrmm that isn't anything about roleplay at all. I guess what I want to say si that if you just stick to how your character would be have, then you can do no wrong. I dont believein bad roleplaying, aisde from that which deviates from any rules set within the game.

I think the rest is just lost in personal preferences and matters of accomodating the atmosphere. Maybe I will try to explain what I mean when I am not so exausted.

A quick change in my post to meet NirAntae's:

Those first few examples seem like the result of a wonderful atmosphere and I hope that I can see more of that ni the future. Though I do not think they are what cosntitutes good roleplay, just the result of being dedicated to one's characters. The atmosphere is everchanging with the personalitise of characters and sometimes the atmosphere will be lacking because of that.. but that doesnt mean that its bad rp just because you dont personally enjoy it that time. I hope my meaning is clear. :)
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

I think there is a difference between rping well, and a good rp. Rping well means you are in character (OOC out loud if needed, anything at a whisper between two characters for a short time is okay), you try not to let your personality or personalities of other characters murge with what you are playing. Not only that, but you try to keep real things in there, maybe a sneeze, a cough. Give them a cold. Make them real and make if feel like the other person is interacting with a real person. (A real person can't see behind them with out turning their head. Nor does their head spin all the way around :wink: ).

What makes a good rp is not only that, but they give lots of expression. It will make you smile, or want to cry. What they type is above and beyond just rping well. They describe moves in detail. You can't always be perfect. But there are some powerful moments, or really well done rps.

Just my 2 cents... Which I would like back if you don't mind.
Seuridus

Post by Seuridus »

#me hands back Dantagon's 2 pennies.

I agree with you in someways, but its my own personal belief that "rping well" and "good rp" are simply synonymous with each other. Any kind of character expression will create some kind of reaction from the player, even if its hard to see. At least, that is what I have experienced in the past. Determining what means good rp is difficult to do indeed. It is more difficult to explain, the more you try to break it down into levels. What moves a person is entirely individual and I think that if a person wants to break things down into levels he or she can, but that can ony be an individual guideline, not the universal definition that I thought Hadre might have been going for. I could be mistaken though. Feel free to clear up anything I am completely wrong about. :)
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

#me takes the two pennies and cheers.

Nah. I understand what you are saying, and yeah, it is hard to figure out what is truely a good rp. Some you feel just boarder it, and others just cry "This is a good rp!" Sometimes I wonder if I should give more 'good rp' things on the board than I do. It is just so hard to tell sometimes.
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

It's impossible to 'define' good RP. I've been RPing for almost 14 years now, and all I can do is give you 'an idea' of what constitutes good RP. Every point I've read here are valid ones, and yet there is some ephemeral quality behind it all that seperates 'decent' RP from good RP... and good RP from truly great.
Last edited by Lianis on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seuridus

Post by Seuridus »

I still must maintain that good RP differs frpm good atmosphere. But I won't try to argue against it since we seem set in our ways. :P
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Personal connection with another player that distinguishes them to you from others. I don't think it really has anything to do with the game, the game is just a medium for communication in the sense of #me's and conversation. Parts of the game two people similarly enjoy will bring them together ig and they will in turn enjoy eachother's company and friendship ig and out and because they enjoy the company it will be deemed "good rp" because they like that persons rp because they gain enjoyment from that interaction.

Thats my opinion on the matter.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

To have good RP; afterwards you have to think

"OMG that was like the good ol' days of 2005."

THEN and only then is it good RP ;)
Markous

Post by Markous »

Na-Chaya

Post by Na-Chaya »

I read this topic :shock:

This is exactly what a community need... really teamwork, not that shit with flaming and bitching :?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

You forgot respect. :wink:

Well to me what makes rp 'nice' is:
-#me's when needed.
-Not to much ooc inbetween, though a bit is no trouble.
-Actualy playing a character, not some clone of yourself.
-Not some uber pwning superhero.
-Not incorporating to much stuff from our time/place.
-No lame ignoring people, and I don't mean chars ignoring chars I mean players ignoring chars.
-Some grammar and spelling. Capital letters and such. You don't have to be awesome at english, but you should atleast try.
-Type out long, not just all short, elaborate, ect.

That is what I truely want in some rp.

But what makes it really good is exactly what NirAntae said earlier.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

i have read here.

this thread gave me the impression, that good roleplay often means friendly behaviour of the char.

but should not an annoying char, some grumpy fellow, if he is consequently played, be estimated as being roleplayed good?

as example: Sir Avalyon that char is a real asshole. but he is good and consequently played. so i would say, PO avalyon gives good roleplay.

i hope, that i expressed myself understandable.

korm

@ kevin,
-Some grammar and spelling. Capital letters and such. You don't have to be awesome at english, but you should atleast try.
-Type out long, not just all short, elaborate, ect.
you are right, i know.
but... ... if i try to comply with that, my answers often will be to an emty screen, because my conversation partners would leave, before i am ready... :(
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Korm Kormsen wrote:you are right, i know.
but... ... if i try to comply with that, my answers often will be to an emty screen, because my conversation partners would leave, before i am ready... :(
A Very informative thread and links, thank you all!

Korm, I understand what you mean, have had that happen a few times now , then, in order to answer someone else, first delete the partial sentence you started. Once, there were two conversations I deleted in order to answer a third! :lol:

Is there any way to set up some shortcut keys to help, for #me and other common things you may say?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

That's right Korm, it does happen at times.
I write the box full with a sentance, the other guy speaks before that.
Most people I rp with usualy wait long enough, and I don't have it so often since I'm reasonable with my english I'd say.
But yeah, I can understand. I make little mistakes to, but more what I mean is people just doing obvious things wrong to shorten the time and such.

I tend to use verry instead of very and realy instead of really to, and when that's put into a long sentance, I just make an ooc post with the right word.

And for me it's not much of a problem either when I'm rping with someone who'se not the best at english, I just correct them so they may know what it's really spelled like and such.

The real bothering me is those real obvious things to those who do know good english, but are to lazy to write it decently it seems. You get what I mean.

And for my part(dunno about others) I don't realy mind the not so nice chars.
Relven wanted almost to chop Kevin in to at some point, but the rp wasn't any less nice because of it.
Hadre Taliset

Post by Hadre Taliset »

Seuridus wrote: What moves a person is entirely individual and I think that if a person wants to break things down into levels he or she can, but that can ony be an individual guideline, not the universal definition that I thought Hadre might have been going for.
right you are, and man i would LOVE if people stayed around more then 3 seconds for an answer. i created my first character to use more elaborate words as he is EXTREMLY intelligent, i had people walk away on me five times in a row. anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the answers.
Grant

Post by Grant »

NirAntae wrote:When a scene is so powerful, it elicits real emotional responses from the players (laughter, tears, etc.)

When a scene is so much fun or so suspenseful or so breathtaking you don't ever want it to end.

When another character becomes so deep and real, that you feel like they are literally their own person, and not a 'role' taken on by their player.

When you feel like you are no longer playing your character in a make believe world, but somehow peering through a window at things that are *really* happening.

When your *own* character does something which surprises you.

I'm sure I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Damn, that's never happened to me..