Why Illarion Owns.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Garett Gwenour

Why Illarion Owns.

Post by Garett Gwenour »

A lot of people have really begun to piss me off because they have decided since they are quitting illarion they can complain about just about everything and say how horrible it is. And what a shocker, most of the people who are quitting and are complaining are people who have rarely been playing illarion lately and even more surprisingly are all from the same clique of planned out roleplay characters through conversations in msn and then executing said meetings ingame and ignoring or given as little attention to other characters as possible.

We have a truly amazing weather system. I am not sure if the inactive people who are quitting lately have been able to see what it is capable of, but when you see a fog so thick you cannot see 5 spaces infront of you ambushes are possible (and have been done as per stephens overthrowing). Or rain storms with lightning, again, that is something NO other game for free or made by people with free time have done.

The Current fighting system is absolutely flawless. Nearly everything is balanced in it. And with the varying skills and varying differences in attributes it shows that no one can be absolutely invincible in fighting, everyone has a weakness somewhere and there are many different ways to fight. There is a reason why everyone who has tried to "fix" the current fighting system has stopped and said there is nothing to fix. I should also mention the current quality system works pretty damn well, making excellent items absolutely awesome but very difficult to make and so on.

The Crafting System is also pretty damn good. Player to player trades (for me at this point having now begun to do resource gathering and so on) far outwiegh any merchant trading. At this point Stephen makes a lot of silver and about 80% of that silver comes from trading with players. So the economy IS led by the players regardless what some inactive people will tell you. Crafts are awesome, there are many and nearly all of them have a niche in the current player led economy. The only one that doesnt is glassblowing and I am not even sure how you could fit it ingame unless with the new building systems you could have glassblowers be the sole suppliers of windows or so, but that would require a window graphic. People may say blacksmithing is really hard, let me tell you, gilbert merimac is at about level 56 or 57 in blacksmithing and has been making 1 level a day steadily, you CAN become a blacksmith pretty easily with the current learning system they have put in.

Which brings me to the learning system. At first it was a matter of luck, when you would get a level and now it is a bit better. The more you practice, the more your chances are of leveling and that chance lowers the higher you are in a skill. That seems pretty reasonable and at the same time gains you levels pretty fast. Especially since the MC system caps and uncaps within an hour and a half now, and I for my part have to actually try to get the message "you cannot concentrate" lately, even in mining where I am a noob at it. I personally like the learning system because I was witness to the evil that was the old "10x harder to learn" system inwhich ALL skill gains were impossible (unless you were darren who could max out aristeaus in 1 day by knowing the tricks of the game).

As to the atmosphere of Illarion. A lot of people (and not just the inactive ESQS players) are saying the roleplay in illarion has gone down hill. And at first I did agree with them, sure sure, we lost brian, celeste, countless others who were online actively and started many plots and sure that could be why Illarion's roleplay has gone down hill, but then I thought about how many new good roleplays we had gotten as well, (Karl, Farfara, Mark Strongarm, a few more who I should name but cannot think of), and then it hit me. The reason Illarion;s roleplay seems to have gotten worse is not because it nessasarily has gotten worse (Tho it may have gotten a bit lesser of late because of lack of any sort of filter from tibia noobs) but because ALL the other towns are becoming active. Not everyone plays with everyone anymore in Trolls Bane. Now the roleplay and the plots of Roleplay have been thinned out considerably. Varshikar is active, Silverbrand is active, Greenbriar is active, Bandits no longer live in Trolls Bane, Vanima and else are semi active and so on. I firmly believe that if you removed all other towns but Trolls Bane and forced everyone to roleplay side by side again, EVERYONE would say how wonderful the roleplay was again. But we don';t want that. We want Player led game development, dont we? And this is what happens with it. Sure finding extensive and new roleplay is difficult becuase everyone is spread out across the map, but with time, more players will join, more towns will get filled and you will see that the roleplay is just as good as ever, but you will be saying that with different people.

----

Anyways I had gotten really pissed with former ESQS members quitting and returning to complain about a game they had rarely played shortly before they quit and decided I should point out why Illarion is a good game and why many people still dedicate hours of their day to it. Because it is fun.

Edit: Oh btw, The new building system rocks my socks so suck it.
Poots

Post by Poots »

first post Woot! :P now to actually read the topic.

EDIT:

eh...alot of reading...but yay Illarion!.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Roleplay quality hasn't really gone down from what I have seen. I realize I didnt play, barely at all from about spring to late summer, I heard all these people say how bad it was, then I started playing more, and wondered if we were logging in to the same thing. I've seen a couple bad situations, but no more or no less than a year ago, two years ago. Perhaps roleplay is staying about the same, but out standards are going up to a different level?

The new building system is absolutely fantastic. I remember 2-3 years ago, anything like this was far from reach, and now here it is, buidlings can be accepted, then created when the materials are collected. The problem I see is that not enough people show enthusiasm for this, or other new features IG. These new changes should be incorporated into RP and then we can take advantage of the advantages they bring.

Fighting system is good, huge progress from the days of little red X's. Ive liked the little icons to show what is going on, and the loot is a lot better done than it was in the past, more variety, different things, it can be sold for decent money.
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

All I can really say is Illarion truly is THE game for any who seeks to diverse themselves in an escape pod from reality. This is what attracted me so much, and I can honestly say that I have no plans of leaving unless its by force. I personally have not seen this depletion in the quality of role play but than again I never really have been complemented on my own role play to begin with. just in the short time I have been here I have seen major progress. I believe if this community can try to hold of on complaining about every little thing its amazing uniqueness and atmosphere can only become all the more fruitful.
Avareniah

Post by Avareniah »

While I do not think it is entirely fair to discount what people have complained about, I am really happy that Sam made this thread.

Illa will always be for RP. It was my first and it holds a special place for me.

I -have- seen the weather. And it's it's nice.

I have not tested the fighting system, but so long as the fighters like it, great!

As for learning... I was in game for about an hour with Ava making glass bottles. I learned how to make two new items. Which is the fastest that she has ever learned, so I hope that this is encouraging to any would-be crafters.

It is topics like this that help to keep our players here. :)
Farfara

Post by Farfara »

Sam, I'm with the others on here in thanking you for making this thread. :D Like you (and others), I'm sick of hearing all the bitching about various facets of the game, and I find it a breath of fresh air to log into the boards and see a thread like this one.

Illarion rocks, plain and simple; it's about time people get to hear about that instead of what's wrong with this, or how A, B, and C need to be fixed. Techical problems get worked out; sometimes it takes awhile, so stop being so damned impatient! If you (the complainers) think you can do better, then, by all means, JOIN THE FREAKING TECHNICAL STAFF. If all you can do is bitch and moan, then can it, hm?

And, to everyone who whines about the "decline in RP," just read Sam's post at the beginning of this thread; he said it, and he said it well. If you don't like the RP, try a different approach; RP with someone you haven't before, or something. Just quit making all these bitchy, whiney threads. If you absolutely can't deal with the RP, quit, like so many have done/are doing. All I ask is that everyone drop these melodramatic, over-the-top, shit-flinging "good-bye" threads. Say your good-byes, and let that be it. I have no idea why anyone would want to air all their dirty laundry on the boards, but it's happening more and more (this from a relatively new player; think about that), and it's really getting old.

In closing, I'll once agains give kudos to Sam for starting this thread, to the entire staff for keeping this ride rolling, and to EVERYONE who gets in the game and does their best to RP their asses off, making the world of Illarion an interesting place to spend time. Thanks, to all of you. 8)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Thank you, being new and trying to learn RP for the first time has been trying but also exhilarating (I am online way too much) :lol: but have been disheartened by the threads I have read considering how much I've grown fond of this world. I appreciate reading something positive. :D
Markous

Post by Markous »

Thank you. :)
Thurbert~

Re: Why Illarion Owns.

Post by Thurbert~ »

Garett Gwenour wrote: ALL the other towns are becoming active. Varshikar is active, Silverbrand is active, Greenbriar is active,
Thanks for finally noticing :wink:
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Garett Gwenour,

who helped you with this long but good text?

i think this calls for a prize.
---
#me gives another lollypop to the kid
---

let's hope, that enough readers woke up by your words.

korm
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Illarion pwns because I am playing it :).

Well, nice text, Garett, which is quite true! I joined the game around february this year and the progresses until now are unbelievable!

I wouldn't say that everything is a perfect as you say, but I am a mocking perfectionist ;).

The overall roleplaying quality goes up and down sometimes, but it is all in all not decreasing from what I've experienced since early this year.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

A nice thread indeed.

for gilbert raising a level a day in smithing, well that is becasue he got you to do his mining for him. All in all though I still like because it only allows a few players to be the best on the island.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Awww Sam grew some balls ;]

Nice thread mate
Solumn

Post by Solumn »

Yeah, not only a few of characters best at particular skill and also fewer multi-talented ones.

I like the crafting system.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

another reason why illarion own

They got the skilldrop item bug fixed :P
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Hu'greu,

really?

marvellous! so, next time my char is killed by flies, he won't loose everything?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Vilarion wrote:The multi-drop-multi-skillloss-bug-on-death will be solved with the next server update. An idea by nitram made me find the solution.
No idea when that will be. :D
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Aristeaus wrote:Awww Sam grew some balls ;]

Nice thread mate
They did not grow just finally dropped down....though it took a while :lol: :wink:
Amras of Elves

Post by Amras of Elves »

Love the post. That's all. Agree.

That's it..

I say no more....

I have no earthly idea what I just saw...
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Richard Cypher wrote:
Aristeaus wrote:Awww Sam grew some balls ;]

Nice thread mate
They did not grow just finally dropped down....though it took a while :lol: :wink:
Haha, nice addition on that one
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

How dare you Fooser.
Amras of Elves

Post by Amras of Elves »

I didn't want to say anything. Didn't want to flare up his wrath on high. Or high up wrath... Or wrath of highness. His uber wrath? His uber superior wrath of bloody tormenting goodness. With a cookie on the side.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

mmm cookies
Garen

Post by Garen »

Ilarion pwned

Illarion pwns

Illarion will ALWAYS PWN!!

im just pissed cause i havent reaaly been able to play and wont for a while

btw Illarion pwns