Time Problems

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jeremey of Kumdah

Time Problems

Post by Jeremey of Kumdah »

I do not get the time.

I am in New York time.
Someone told me to meet them at 7 pm friday at library ig.
occurding to the time site it says it would 11 am thursday for me what?

Can we please have a Game time on the home page of Illarion?
. listing most of the popular countries illarion is played by time
Allura
Location: Bending my mind to crawl through perversions and riddles.

Post by Allura »

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

The internet is your friend.

You live in EST, just to clarify. Most game times are made ooc and are determined by GMT.

Happy time-zoning.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

We need a tutorial on how to figure out your timezone. EST (your time zone) = -5 GMT this means at 12:00 GMT, your time is 07:00 or 7:00am. You need to set your timezone on your profile to get the correct time.
PST = -8:00 GMT
MST = -7:00 GMT
CST = -6:00 GMT
EST = -5:00 GMT

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time, this means 0GMT is in Greenwich and is based on the prime meridian.

Also, most people use the 24 hour system, this negates AM and PM. 01:00 is 1:00 am, 21:00 is 9:00pm.

So, in conclusion, make sure you know ALL the information.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Gro'bul wrote:We need a tutorial on how to figure out your timezone. EST (your time zone) = -5 GMT this means at 12:00 GMT, your time is 07:00 or 7:00am. You need to set your timezone on your profile to get the correct time.
PST = -8:00 GMT
MST = -7:00 GMT
CST = -6:00 GMT
EST = -5:00 GMT

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time, this means 0GMT is in Greenwich and is based on the prime meridian.

Also, most people use the 24 hour system, this negates AM and PM. 01:00 is 1:00 am, 21:00 is 9:00pm.

So, in conclusion, make sure you know ALL the information.
I live in the Central time zone. From experience, the time system is difficult west of GMT. It is easy to be confused.

Why? When you select -6 GMT for Central as you suggested, the time shown here locally is actually off by an hour. For example, if it was 10pm GMT, by selecting -6 hours GMT, that should be 4pm here, but actually, true time on the clock on the wall, shows 5pm.

So, to get the true local time, I select -5 hours GMT for central, but I remember that I'm actually 6 hours behind.

Don't ask me why, but the time selection for West of GMT is off by an hour. I think it probably has something to do with how Illarion calculates timezones based on GMT, its off by an hour west of GMT.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

~Slaps his forehead~
:shock:
Never mind. I just had a brainstorm. The United States and several other countries are currently in "Daylight Savings Time" right now until September. That explains it. :lol:

That's why its confusing here right now. No easy way to account for this except to remember that we are "Sprung Forward" by one hour right now, but in September it will revert back to normal ((Fall Back)).

((Unless you live in Arizona, then you'll be OK. They dont recognize it either.)) 8)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Most people use the CET... because its the server time, the time in germany et cetera

Which is GMT+1
-
Ah well...
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

In general CET is GMT+1, right. But in middle of europe it is GMT + 2 currently because of the daylight time.

But i think Alluras link helps alot :wink:
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Jeremey of Kumdah

thanks

Post by Jeremey of Kumdah »

thanks
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

I believe we need a permanent link to this thread. Again we have some misunderstandings made by the time zone differences and daylight time.

GMT is only a reference value to calculate the time of all time zones. The British Isles use the UTC (Western European Timezone) which is GMT+0. To calculate the time of other timezones you have to know the number of timezones of GMT+0 and your own. Eastwards you have to add this number and westwards you have to subtract the number.
CET (Central European Time) is located beside of UTC/GMT+0, its in the east, so we add 1. :arrow: GMT+1

All this is for winter!

But now we have summer and in lots of countries of the world (not all) have daylight time. The clocks move 1 hour forwards in april and move 1 back in october (With differences of some weeks between some countries).

Therefore the British Isles uses UTC+1/GMT+1 currently and the Central Europe uses CET+1/GMT+2.

It is a political thing with the aim to save some energy (but the results say something other) and to reorganize the time of work following the other regimes of sunlight between summer and winter.

But very often, like in our organising of ingame events, it only confuses the people.
Llama

Post by Llama »

If any of you guys are using firefox.. there is a good addon called "Foxclocks" which you might find useful...