Dwarven language teacher?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

jregan91

Dwarven language teacher?

Post by jregan91 »

i was just thinking to myself there is an elf language teacher why cant the be a dwarven one, this may be a bad idea or it might have come up in the past but i think there should be onebecause some people rp being half dwarf or comming from a dwarf background and it would probably help if they could slighty understand the language. post if you think this is a good/bad idea
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

I think there should be one for each language but the lizzard language. Because it would be impossible for any one else to say tose words. Human language should deffinantly have a teacher for.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Gort Greegog wrote:I think there should be one for each language but the lizzard language. Because it would be impossible for any one else to say tose words. Human language should deffinantly have a teacher for.
if lizards could speak human i dont see why a human couldnt speak lizard, though both should be limited to a point, maybe light green type of thing
jregan91

Post by jregan91 »

it would be good to have a teacher for all languages but the gms might have already planned this or to preven someone frome knowing all the langs perhaps they should be restricted to one or maybe they need a reason for learning the language
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

The lizzard's tongue is formed in a different way and their language is un speakable by those without that tongue.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Gort Greegog wrote:The lizzard's tongue is formed in a different way and their language is un speakable by those without that tongue.
yet theirs should be capable of all the things ours is? You dont speak much in the way of logic, do you?
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

falco1029 wrote:
Gort Greegog wrote:The lizzard's tongue is formed in a different way and their language is un speakable by those without that tongue.
yet theirs should be capable of all the things ours is? You dont speak much in the way of logic, do you?
Maybe I missed something, but he never said that. Why do people always turn everything into a flaming session?

If players can learn multiple languages (besides elvish) one day, I sure hope they have different difficulties.

For example, Orcish should either be the easiest to learn (because they basically are grunting and snorting to eachother) or the absolute hardest (because it is so simple and unorganized that it doesn't make sense). And Elven, being so poetic and since it probably took literally dozens of thousands of years to come up with, would be one of the hardest. Lizardish could be possible to learn by other races, but only lizards should be able to have max skill in it, seeing that some syllables are pure hisses, clicks, and other strange sounds that some races' ears can't even pick up. Though, no one should really be able to master another language, in my opinion. Maybe a master linguist could understand up to 70-80% at the absolute maximum.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Sess'sth wrote:
falco1029 wrote:
Maybe I missed something, but he never said that. Why do people always turn everything into a flaming session?

If players can learn multiple languages (besides elvish) one day, I sure hope they have different difficulties.

For example, Orcish should either be the easiest to learn (because they basically are grunting and snorting to eachother) or the absolute hardest (because it is so simple and unorganized that it doesn't make sense). And Elven, being so poetic and since it probably took literally dozens of thousands of years to come up with, would be one of the hardest. Lizardish could be possible to learn by other races, but only lizards should be able to have max skill in it, seeing that some syllables are pure hisses, clicks, and other strange sounds that some races' ears can't even pick up. Though, no one should really be able to master another language, in my opinion. Maybe a master linguist could understand up to 70-80% at the absolute maximum.
I think 90% is more suitable, as even then a lot of stuff is *'d. And he either meant that they should be able to, or completely ignored my point, so either way, he wasnt debating logically....
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

The thing is, if everyone can learn every languages, what are their use?
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Arameh_ wrote:The thing is, if everyone can learn every languages, what are their use?
not everyone wants to learn eveyr language, and they really dont have much use to begin with, its more for rp purposes of having languages.
jregan91

Post by jregan91 »

jregan91 wrote:it would be good to have a teacher for all languages but the gms might have already planned this or to preven someone frome knowing all the langs perhaps they should be restricted to one or maybe they need a reason for learning the language

thats why i said this there would be no point i knowing all the languages because everone might as well speak common just one or max two
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

What is the use to talk human, when you want that only humans understands you, if "maybe" a lizard language master or an orc language master is around and can undertstand anything? Even if few peoples would learn new languages race languages would still become useless, I for my part woulnt use them anymore. Maybe thats why the GMs didnt make it so? Think a bit.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Arameh_ wrote:What is the use to talk human, when you want that only humans understands you, if "maybe" a lizard language master or an orc language master is around and can undertstand anything? Even if few peoples would learn new languages race languages would still become useless, I for my part woulnt use them anymore. Maybe thats why the GMs didnt make it so? Think a bit.
Well you could always make it harder to learn the languages, maybe make it take longer to learn the skill, and such. Then you'd only learn them if you were intentionally roleplaying a language master.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

How do we...train a language skill? Talking it? each line you say ? each letter? It would still be powergamed and surely be esy to get by that way.
You can always go hide and write : blblbldslfkdfdffdjdhfjdhfjgdhfgdfgfghhjdfhgjdhgjdhgh in human to learn the skill.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

you need at least a point of skill to start, but yes. But its not that easy. it takes a VERY long time to increase the skill, you'd have to talk like that for about an hour to get a visible shade of color change....
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

So super hard to gain, and the only way to get it is by powergaming, not better to me.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

im sorry, do you have a better suggestion?
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

No :twisted:
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

Better suggestion: Wait. The GM's aren't basing their work on threads like this. Therefore, we're all just wasting our time. :wink: :P
Ullyatth Leader

Re: Dwarven language teacher?

Post by Ullyatth Leader »

jregan91 wrote:i was just thinking to myself there is an elf language teacher why cant the be a dwarven one, this may be a bad idea or it might have come up in the past but i think there should be onebecause some people rp being half dwarf or comming from a dwarf background and it would probably help if they could slighty understand the language. post if you think this is a good/bad idea
Then ask a GM to up your dwarf language skill. It's as simple as that. I think you play the only half dwarf BTW.

And humans can't talk in lizard because their tongues aren't long enough. Lizardmen's tongues are long enough to speak any language however.
Ronazin

Post by Ronazin »

I think he has a pretty good Idea. I mean my char is an Elf and there is only an Elf Teacher. So if someone knows Elf then It would be stupid to talk in Elf, while I can't learn any other races' language.

Maybe...Each person can only learn 2 languages...or can only learn languges depending on their race, Humans learn Elf, Dwarf,and thats it (they have the simpelist tongues it seems.) Orcs can learn human and uhhhh...Lizards can learn all but orc...and so on and so forth
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Ronazin wrote:I think he has a pretty good Idea. I mean my char is an Elf and there is only an Elf Teacher. So if someone knows Elf then It would be stupid to talk in Elf, while I can't learn any other races' language.

Maybe...Each person can only learn 2 languages...or can only learn languges depending on their race, Humans learn Elf, Dwarf,and thats it (they have the simpelist tongues it seems.) Orcs can learn human and uhhhh...Lizards can learn all but orc...and so on and so forth
Two race languages, maybe, and then they can also learn things liek ancient and the like.
Llama

Post by Llama »

My suggestions:

1) Language skill should increase for LISTENING not speaking...example:

If I know one word of maltese "Kelb", by repeating it over and over, i wont learn any new words.. but if i listen to others, I might learn more

2) Language should start off uber-hard, then become EASIER (more logical, since you'd know most of the words and can guess the rest)

3) There should be 2 types of each language, NORMAL, and TEACHING. Normal is for normal tongue, you speak normally, make small errors with pronouciation (*shrug*), perhaps speak too quickly.
Teaching is speaking slowly, calmly and full of gestures, so people can understand and actually LEARN from you.

4) I had once designed a table with suggestion for language learning.. i'll look for it later

5) Languages are useful for:

Emissaries (shows that you care about their culture)
Spies (remain silent , and listen to all being said)

I don't think there should be a limit, or learnt from the beginning (this isn't D&D you know)
Damien

Post by Damien »

Languague number maximum sounds likely to depend on intelligence, indeed.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Damien wrote:Languague number maximum sounds likely to depend on intelligence, indeed.
that sounds fair, but also add in willpower (more willpower=more willing to put up with repetitive learning excercizes and such), so for combined scores:

2-6: Can barely speak common and their own, let alone anything else
7-12: Can maybe learn a bit (light green?) of an additional language
13-20: Can learn one additional language maxed, or two light green, or any other combo
21-28: Can learn 2 Maxed languages, or any combo like above
29-35: Can Learn 3, same as above
36-40:Can Learn 4 languages, as above
41+: Powergamers who shouldnt learn any, hehe jk, 5 sounds good :)

This way no one, not even a genius, can master every single language.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

*imagines everyone learning all the languages eventually*

*imagines a human trying to speak with another human in the human tongue to speak about an elf, who becomes offended because they didn't realize he understands the human tongue as well, as if they should really care anyway*

*imagines absolutely stupid bloodshed, town bannings, and more annoying politics basically due to lack of players understanding a simple concept of 'restraint'*

*imagines Illarion going to hell*

*imagines himself still posting on the forums after Illarion dies*

*cries himself to sleep*
Llama

Post by Llama »

I have a brand new system idea.

1) NO more : ***********s, instead you do this
The amount of words a person can understand, depends on his skill level

If he has little skill, he can identify the spaces

Then, the amount of skill will choose the %age which he'll understand, whole words or nothing, and dependant on how long the word is...

Example: Hello, how are you today? This is interesting

The word : Interesting is quite long (so "hard") so you can't understand it unless you have high skill in it...

N00b: ***********************
Not bad: *****, *** *** *** *****? **** ** ***********
Then the %chance will result in whole words or NOTHING

so no more *******f********gf*********sd.

=
Learnign should happen in phases... but you must either be talked to (using the easier version of the lnaguage), or reading BOOKS...
=

my two cents
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Good idea. I think there should also be a list of words (i.e. the proper nounds that shouldn't change with language) that everyone can understand from any language because they are the same. e.g. the town names, all the character names (detached, so someone could say "I hate William" or, "I hate that Elderberry guy" and they'd be noticed) and words people can pm to gms that they want to be included. So, say there was a guild named Trintine or something they could pm asking if that word could become readable in every language. Then if a dwarf said "I hate William Elderberry, he's an idiot", I'd see:

[dwa]: *******William*Elderberry**************

Unfortunately this would be flawed as you couldn't make typos or shorten the name if they hadn't been specified.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I don't agree.. let me take an example with Maltese, Italian and English

English: Paul
Maltese: Pawlu
Italian: Paolo
-
English: Germany, German
Maltese: Germanja, Germaniz/Germaniza
Italian: Germania, Tedesco, Tedesca
=

See?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

But they sound the same, plus anyway, if you met a french guy named michel you wouldn't call him Michael because you're english. The name can be changed in different languages, yes, but you wouldn't call someone your langauge approximite of it. You'd call them by their original name. But place names could be different, yes.