Window Into the Soul

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Fooser

Window Into the Soul

Post by Fooser »

Fooser sat along the edge of the river in one of the wooden chairs washed out by the storm and flood. They must have missed that one during the clean-up. The water had made the chair much weaker, nearly on the point of breaking, but since it was lodged securely into the mud, Fooser didn't mind that much. He watched the water flow slowly along the smooth pathway and out of sight. His eyes moved back and forth, watching the water until it was out of view, then placing his eyes back in front of him and doing it again. He had a very sick feeling in his stomach. Trollsbane and the surrounding landscape appeared as if it had just gone through a war, though it hadn't...yet, at least. His life, and the current events of the island had left him so tired, and with no ambition. He even woke up feeling this way.

He heard footsteps coming towards him, going through the mud with speed and confidence. He wondered who would be stopping by. He turned and almost pushed back, suprised by how close the person was now, only a foot or two in front of him, and he catches himself at the last second so the chair didin't break. It was a lizard, in full platemail armor. On the front of it was the symbol of Lizardom, his old home. It technically was still his home, but he only visited.

Fooser quickly stood and bowed to the lizard, whose armor was glimmering a bit against the morning sun. The lizard gave a quick, and less extreme bow back.

"Fooser yes? I am Slarkaz of Lizardom....you better take a seat again."

He sat down again, the wood of the chair cracked a little more as he did. He didn't seem to notice anyways, he merely looked up at the other lizard with amazed curiosity.

"What are you doing way out here?"

"I have some news...Your parents village was attacked .. very few made it out."

Fooser nods slowly, words coming out after much effort.

"Well...uhm....uh...(a small sniff)...the undead?"

"They have made their move. Fooser...you might take this the wrong way after what I just told you, but...we need all the help we can get."

That was the day he found out. He visited them not even a half year ago. Fooser peers up at the large stone building. It was an odd mix of house and castle. It was the home of the leader of the above water settlements. Lizardom was split into two sides. One leader controlled the above water areas, which were usually small trade settlements with a mix of humans and lizards. The underwater cities were ruled by another leader, who was usually seen as more powerful and prestigous because the underwater cities were larger, and had all the great temples, and legendary paladins of recent times living there.

Slarkaz, Fooser, and his priest friend Feraiden all returned to help the leader who was under attack by undead coming out of the swamps, which made up a large portion of the landscape in the above water territory. The rest of it was either coastline, grassland, or small forests. Slarkaz opens the large double doors that lead into the main chamber. In the center was the leader himself, they all approach and take a bow before him. He doesn't seem to even notice their arrival as he paces back and forth in front of his chair, obviously disturbed about all the recent events. All of a sudden, he turns to them and gives a greeting gesture.

"I understand you have come a decent ways to get here. I appreciate it greatly, all of our resources are barely enough for defense as it is."

"We understand."

"My...my son. I sent him to a village that was hurt by famine...to see what we could do...and it was also attacked hard by the undead. I--I don't know what happened to him. Please...go there for me."

Slarkaz responds quickly and confidently. "I am sure he is fine, sire. We will go and find him."
"...Thank you. It means a lot to me."

The leader then talks to each one of the group privately, and let's them all go into the next room over, where there is extra supplies among other things.

Feraiden carries few possessions, his staff, pipe, and book about Zelphia, as always. He was actively writing a book about different interpretations and stories of Zelphia and her followers. It was quite fascinating, he would always say. Fooser puts on light armor, which is a bit different from his normal, and grabs a plain looking sword. Slarkaz prepares to put on his heavy paladin armor yet again, with the Lizardom symbol on the front, until Fooser stops him, by grabbing his shoulder and spinning him slightly.

"We travel light and quick."

Slarkaz looks at Fooser for a few moments, then nods, putting on something much lighter, and even emptying his bag of some useless items. Fooser picks up his bag, and starts to head out the door. He opens it, and the shine blasts in through the opening. He walks out the door, with the others to follow a few moments behind him.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The walk was long and tiring. They had gone all day without rest until they come upon a space within the tall grass. They seem to think the same thing all in unison, it was time to rest. Slarkaz puts his belongings down first, followed by Fooser, then Feraiden. They pile sticks and branches, what little wood there was in the grasslands, and light it to bring forth a campfire. Each one sits at the fire after fiddling a bit with their bags and light clothing.

"This land is quite beautiful. Both in the day, and at night." Slarkaz points to the surrounding plains, which flow across the horizon until they abruptly stop at the edge of a large forest, which is followed by deep and dark swamps at the center. The tall grass sways back and forth in bundles, looking like dancing figures all around them, only illuminated by what moonlight gets through the clouds.

Fooser takes out his pipe, and one of the few sibanac leaves he has left. He crinkles it up in the usual fashion and starts to puff on the pipe. Feraiden looks over at the lizard, smelling the air lightly for the contents.

"You said you quit."

"I did, I will trust you never to tell anyone. And if you do, well..." The lizard smiles at him in between puffs.

"May the lady give you more boulders to carry on your shoulders." The hooded human smiles back, taking out his own pipe, though the contents of his are a bit less mind altering.

"She is too merciful to give me even more than I already have." He smiles yet again, joking with the human, then his gaze turns downward into one of thought.

"What do we have here?"

That was all that needed to be said, the two guards drew their weapons, as did Fooser and his companion Val De Gausse. It all happened fast, John Irenicus went at Val, Gywnnether at Fooser. After a while, Gwynn fell back injured, while Val began to make a full retreat from John. All three began to run as fast as possible. Fooser tried to slice at John's back and leg when he could, but with little success. He then realized John could easily have turned around and struck at him. He began to slow down, they were at the edge of a forest now. They went through the tree's, Fooser falling farther behind. He no longer could see them.
Feraiden

Post by Feraiden »

A new day, the same deal. The trio walks through the endless piles of tall grass and rocks, making their way across the landscape. The sun was out yet again, which was fine with them. Things seemed to have happened quickly, it seemed like just a few hours ago they departed from where they came from. Perhaps it was the quick and fast conversation with the leader, which lacked detail and specific instructions. He also didn't tell them much of the current battle that was being fought in different areas of the province. Did it matter? He asked them to do something for him, and that was that.

Feraiden continues walking, pushing his staff into the dirt, and in between rocks when there was no dirt. He begins to wonder why they have been so quiet and formal with eachother so far. The news of Fooser's family was no doubt a part of it, but still.

"Tell me more of the underwater city?" Feraiden comes out suddenly, blasting through the silence.

"Slarkaz has been there more recently and frequently than I." Fooser responds as if he was barely paying attention, yet he was. He peers into the distance, not seeing anything of importance, and continues on casually as there is nothing to be seen.

"Hm...what about it?"

"Anything...As a human, I will never see a true lizard city."

"Well, let's see. It is mostly a circular shape, radiating out across the sea floor. In the middle is a great temple made of large and sturdy stone. It is so large that the top of the stone actually emerges from the ocean into plain sight. All of the ceremonial and political places are also large, but not quite on that scale. Everything else is of similar shape, also made of stone. Lizard markings can be seen written on the stone of all buildings. Some are prayers to Zelphia, others are tales of great deeds of Paladins, or family histories. This is done in such a way that the lettering shines a blue-green color when looked at."

"Must be quite a sight."

"Yes...it is. Look here, a few trees in the middle of this sea of grass, perhaps we should call this our place to sleep tonight?"

Fooser stops, and looks at the strange mix of large rocks and trees inthe middle of the plains, and shurgs.

"Good enough for me." He drops his bag right at the spot he is standing.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Slarkaz falls back hard against one of the trees, leaning up against it. As he does so, the cracking of branches can be heard from above. He gets startled as he looks around, then a hooded figure comes falling down out of the tree onto the ground, barely missing a few sharp rocks. All three travelers look down at the figure with amazement.

"Ugh......oh." The figure slowly starts to get up, he landed face down. Some of his bones crack as he gets up using his hands. "Gods....ugh." He groans a few more times before looking up, and at each of them, the two lizards and human priest.

"Uhm...who are you?"

"Uh...Oooooh. They call me CF."

"CF. That's it? That's your name?"

"Aye, sir lizard."

By this point, the figure is fully standing, it is clear he is human now. He also has a large bow strapped to his back, no arrows can be openly seen though, hopefully there would be none falling down onto them also.

"What were you doing in a tree, human?"

The human dusts himself off a bit, some stray bits of dirt come easily off his cloak. "Well, I am a scout, sir. And an archer, and I find higher places suit me to do both. Are you fellows starting a campfire?"

"Indeed, you wish to join?" Right as he says so, the sticks go up in a blast of fire, and then settle down. CF sits down in between Fooser and Feraiden. He is suprisingly well shaven for one with such a choice in daily activities, though his face is a bit dirty. He seems like he would be in his late 20's, or perhaps early 30's. But most likely the ealier.

"You're dressed pretty odd..." CF says, as he looks Feraiden up and down. Feraiden wears a nicely made robe, one he got from Marie back on Gobaith.

"Priest of Tanora. My name is Feraiden, that is Fooser, and Slarkaz." He nods his head towards each person as he names them.

Fooser looks up at his friend and questions him, just to start conversation,
"Feraiden...have you ever doubted your faith?"

Feraiden chuckles a little at this question. "Doubted, sure. I have seen faith and magic do many amazing things. But sometimes...you wonder if any of it matters. And that is natural. Like, why would the lady allow such destruction upon lizards here? I also wonder sometimes if outcomes will remain the same whether I pray and devote my time, or not. But, at the end of the day, I don't think I would turn away from my faith."

"Personally, I follow Malachin. My skill with a bow is quite good, and my faith just helps. He helps guide my arrows into my enemies. Though, sometimes I wonder. They say eyes are a window into the soul, and when I look into a lizards eyes...they have this sparkle to them. Different from humans, or elves, or dwarves." CF states, as he is clearly more talkative and open than any of them have been so far. Fooser had been looking down at the ground as he listened to both humans, and then looks up and says stiffly. "Our foes don't have eyes."

Faith was no where to be found. Everyone had lost hope, some said the Gods were blind to what was happening because of what the enemy had done. But perhaps they just didn't give a damn? The army of the liches was advancing and growing each day. Being stuffed into the Grey Rose castle almost all the day was beginning to feel like the prison that Fooser was familiar with. Trollsbane was overrun, even the individuals with leadership qualities were losing hope.

Fooser sat, leaning up against the stiff stone walls of the Grey Rose castle, looking outward towards the south, watching the darkness and the smoke rising from the earlier destruction within the town. What happened here? How did things go downward so quick? Why wait to figure it out, there were more important things to do...yes.

He looked down at the bottle of ale he had set next to his side, and picks it up slowly. He takes another, much smaller bottle out from within his cape, a bottle filled with a yellow and stenchy substance. He slowly poured the substance into his ale, and watched the color change slightly from the added liquid. Would the undead be coming again soon? More death will surely arrise.

Enough of this. No more need to watch death around me.

He slowly put the small bottle back into the cover of his cape, and looked down at the ale in though. Where had everyone gone? Friends and acquaintances of old. Very few remained. Where had everyone gone? He was the only one outside of the castle. Images of the past resurfaced in great number.

Darlok war...
Movement...
The first coming of Drahken
His bad period..
Talaena being beheaded by another lizard as he could only stand and watch
Getting news of the death of many friends, Val, too many others
So many executions
The cold unwelcoming walls of the prison
All the fallen warriors of the past few days

Why wont these images go away?! ....My entire body hurts like a bastard. No more. Am I really a coward?

The first of the polluted ale went into his mouth after a very slight hesitation, and he chugged a decent amount of it.

See, you're not a coward, I have done it. One more sip should be enough. I have said my prayer. One more sip to end it.

His hands were shaking heavily, but he began to lift the bottle back up to finish off the rest of it.

Was that a footstep I heard?

Who would be here?

Gah, I'll finish it when they pass by....what was that noise?

He peers his head upwards from against the wall, glaring at the gate of the castle, two green eyes looked back.

Sylveria.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

As his day dream came to an end, Fooser realizes just how much time had passed. Feraiden and Slarkaz were already laid on the ground, prepared to fall asleep. Fooser wonders if they were talking more while he was thinking, but he doesn't believe so. Only CF was left sitting up, looking at what was left of the fire in front of them.

Suddenly, both who remain awake get startled by a piercing shriek in the distance. CF jumps up immediately, gripping his bow firmly. Both Feraiden and Slarzak roll over, and start to lean up, but CF pushes them both down, Slarkaz with his foot, and feraiden with a hand as he leans down. "Fooser, get down." Right as he says that, both of them jump onto the ground as fast as possible. Fooser holds his head down tightly. After a few moments, he starts to peer back up, looking over the tall grass into the crowd of dancing figures in the wind. More noises start getting closer, and he puts his head down yet again, holding it there for what seemed like ages. Light footsteps come closer, and closer. Fooser could swear that a foot landed inches from his head, but he wasn't sure. Just as the steps came, they got fainter and fainter back into the distance. After laying low for a while longer, CF stands up again, bow drawn.

"You're in the war now, fellows."

"Thank you for stating the obvious." Slarkaz is the next to get up.

"Just saying, no more sibanac, or long strolls on the beach from here on out."

Fooser lets out a sigh of relief and leans up also. "I suggest you all get some sleep. It will be hard, but no nights will be easy from here on out, so I suggest you find a way."
CF is still unaware of what the two lizards and human are doing. But they were all tired, perhaps he would find out tomorrow.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

By the time the first of them, Fooser, gets up, the clouds had rolled in from the sea. The entire sky appears as dark, yet calming, grey color. Fooser leans up, looking at each of the others, still sleeping soundily where they laid last night. He begins poking at CF a few times, until he mumbles a bit and turns over, eyes slowly coming into focus.

"Huh?"

"You tagging along?" Fooser says, his voice already shows a hint of exhaustion.

"Where you fellows heading?" CF looks back with genuine interest.

"To some little village. Find out what happened to some higher-ups son who was visiting because they were in the middle of a famine." Fooser starts to shake Slarkaz and Feraiden awake as well. Slarkaz lets our a long yawn, his sharp teeth coming into view, and then he closes his mouth.

"Gather your things. I estimate we will arrive there sometime this afternoon, so be awake, and watchful."

Although nice to look at, the grass and plains began to get boring and dull by the time they set out again. Their entire group walks casually, but also tense at the same time. CF speaks while chewing on the last pieces of his breakfast, which no one else could actually identify what he was eating exactly.

"So we're going to find the son of...who?"

"The leader of this province." Fooser says flatly.

CF gives off a look of suprise at this. "Oh...the one who ruined this province you mean?"

"What do you mean?"

CF chuckes a little at the question. "Well, let's see. His citizens disliked nearly every one of his policies, but he kept pushing them anyways, to the point where many left. Mostly because he has little contact with his people on a personal level. Things have mostly been left to local leaders, who also do very little besides walk about being snobs and hiding in their large manors, only speaking with eachother. That is why this land has been so weak against the undead, it is disfunctional. And most of its people have gone elsewhere. There have been many great leaders here, but this one...his job has been limited to spying on his citizens, and lobbing off heads when they do something wrong."

"Slarkaz, is this true?"

"I won't disagree with what you say. But I will not speak ill of my master either."

Fooser shakes his head slightly. "What has Lizardom turned into?"

A single rain drop splashes against Fooser's snout. He flinches a little at this, and then looks up at the grey sky. The drops begin to come down at a more frequent timing, hitting against everything in sight.

"Oh, great." Feraiden puts his hood back up, after actually leaving it down for once.

A decent sized village with a large wooden palisade can be seen in the distance. All four of them notice it at once and just stop to look for a few moments, until Fooser begins moving forward.

"Our job is to find out what happened to him. And clear any bastards that get in the way of us doing that. Let's go."

The praying had gone on all day it seemed. A mass group of people went to each shrine that there was on the island. Strange things began happening too, like ghosts and spirits coming down into their realm. Was it finally going to be over? The people of the island could definetly pull this off if they all tried.

Fooser walked through the desert, which had expanded nearly twice in size. Sand spread all over many areas of the island. Rain, which the island got a decent intervals, had not come in quite a while. Even Trollsbane was turning from green to yellow, each passing day. For months this went on, not even only a few weeks, but months.

He had a shovel with him, but he didn't really plan on working. Who exactly wanted sand at a time like this anyways? Then he felt it. One drop, then another. Each one splatting upon his head, then trickling down off his face. The drops were hitting everywhere around him now, like a thousand small drums sounding the cheer of victory against the drought. "Yes!!!" He screamed out to know one in paticular. He took off his bag and launched it as far as he could to let out the excitement. Then looked out toward the northern mountains in thought.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The rain slowly makes puddles all across the muddy streets of the town. The two lizards and two humans creep up to the wooden gates, which were opened and damaged during the attack. Fooser tries to peer around the corner to see if there is anyone, or anything inside watching. He turns to Feraiden, the one closest to him, and whispers.

"I don't see anything."

"Go then, hurry."

They move from beind the half opened gate in full sprint to a large stone building, one of the few still standing in the town. And also one of the few made of stone, the rest are poorly made with wood. Fooser again peeks around the corner to see if anything is nearby. He quietly motions to CF to move closer towards the edge also and points at a pile of rubble a little farther down the road. CF nods, and gets a little shove from Fooser as he goes with amazing quickness through the mud and puddles, and dives behind the pile of rubble. He re-emerges, bow in hand, looking over the top, down the foggy street. He spots a lizard laying up against a few boards on the road, probably injured as well. He gets up and begins running again, this time right next to the lizard, and he begins to shake him lightly.

"There anyone here we should know about?"

The lizard wearily shakes his head. There is a large bump on the back, almost at the neck, but not quite. CF turns his head back and makes a loud whistle. The other three come out from behind the wall and jog over to where the lizard sits. Feraiden kneels down next to the lizard and runs his hand along the back of his neck, feeling the scales, then the bump.

"Probably got knocked out, and the undead left him, thinking he was gone." Feraiden stands up and gives an affirming nod to the others.

"Can you walk?"

By now they have all noticed the family symbol on his light armor, the symbol of their leader.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

"Wa---....Yes....I think." Feraiden tries to keep up one side of the lizard, Slarkaz on the other side, and they both life so he can get on his feet. The lizard pushes his hand against the wood boards until he can regain his strength and balance.

"You're the leaders son, yes? We were sent here to find you."

The lizard blinks a few times, as if trying to regain his sight, then looks from one lizard, to the next, and then onto the humans. "Good...I don't know if I could make it out of here myself. I thank you." The lizard bows deeply to the group, now five counting the newest. "But why so many?"

"Well...I came when asked, and Feraiden came with me because he is my friend, and he felt like it I guess. And this is Slarkaz, he works closely with your father."

"Yes, I believe we have met briefly before." The lizard gives a friendly nod to the other, who returns it.

"And this is CF, he fell out of a tree, and came with us." Fooser shrugs at the odd sounding introduction.

"Slarkaz...the entire town was overrun...I..."

CF mumbles, though it comes out quite audibly, "wonder whose fault that is."

Slarkaz looks back at the human with angry eyes, then back to the other lizard sympathetically. "Don't think about it too much. You need to be ready for travel, and we can get you home."

"There's no one else left here is there? Can't just leave anyone here in this mess." Fooser looks about, but seems to already know the answer.

"No, none."

"If you have any bags or anything with you, get them, and let's get out of here. Very depressing here."

Feraiden lights up his pipe as the lizard goes to get his possessions, which are inside the building he was leaned in front of. He comes out with his stuff, but he seems to be breathing quickly, and harder than before. He stumbles out of nearly toppled building, leans down, and pukes all over bottom of Feraiden's robe. Feraiden steps back quickly, but doesn't seem to be mad.

"Oh Gods. There are dead bodies in there...I--I can't help it."

"It's definetly time to go."
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The rains died down as they head out of the ruined town, and back into the long stretches of tall grass that lead back to where they came from. The only thing that keeps them from sliding and falling is the roots of the grass that keep the soil down more securely. Fooser begins to wonder how far from "home" he is right now, but he doesn't seem to be able to guess the distance. Did it even matter anymore anyways?

"That town as hit by famine and disease too before all of this. It's a shame."

"And look at what their leader did for them."

Out of nowhere, the lizard pulls a large knife from out of its sheath and points it at CF.

"I am NOT in the mood for this. You have made cracks about my father since the moment I saw you, and nothing else."

Slarkaz looks at Fooser with a look pure fright. Probably because if the leader's son was murdered on the trip back, they would surely be put into prison, or executed. "Fooser..." Fooser stops walking, but keeps looking forward into the distance, almost dazed.

CF, in a move of practice and skill, pulls out a bow and sticks in an arrow almost faster than it took the lizard to remove the knife, and points it directly at him from only a few feet away. "What are you going to do with that, poke me?"

"I'm going to cut your damned neck in half!" The lizard clenches his jaw and opens his mouth slightly, revealing his teeth to the human.

"Fooser, I think you better interrupt this....CF put the bow down!"

The small, but loud and tense group goes into a chaos of yells and talking.

"I'll stick an arrow so far down your throat, you'll learn to shut your mouth when you need to." CF continues to point the bow at the lizard, who is twirling the dagger nervously in his hand.

"This isn't the way to solve anything, both of you put your weapons down."

"You insult my father like he was an animal. You've never even met him."

"I don't need to know him. It's quite obvious enough that he's a bastard. Just look around!"

The lizard growls at the continued onslaught of insults, despite the fact the human has a knife pointed at him.

"I said, don't insult my father again."

"Fooser, there's a problem here."

Fooser looks across the plains for a while longer, then turns around to the chaos.

"CF, you have a lady where you come from? ...How about you lizard?" Fooser looks at them, and they turn their heads, both with the same confused gaze.

"I do, her name is Sylveria. If there ever was a person who could symbolize innocence and kindness, it would be her. I don't see her often, but when I do I consider it a blessing. Ive stopped myself from telling her a lot of things, because they were bad, and it really wasn't something others needed to know. But...some things can't be hidden. I just sit here and wonder...how I'm suppose to tell her about weeks like this one." He pauses, going into a different subject. Both CF and the lizard have their weapons at their side. "Leaders...It's obvious that I've come into a place where there are a lot of problems, but I'm not here to help or hurt any leaders. Hell, I'm not even here for revenge. The undead have taken something important from me, but I am at peace with it. Maybe after so many losses, they begin to get digested easier, I don't know. I'm here to help a fellow lizard, because they asked, until the armies from the undercity arrive, and then I can go home, back to the one thing that I care about. Besides this lizard here, none of you have to be here. If you want to leave, then go ahead. If anything bad happens, I will take responsibility."

Fooser takes a deep breath, and begins walking again, not even caring if anyone follows. CF and the lizard look back at eachother, and their eyes make a silent truce with eachother for the time being. After the arguing and threats, they begin to head out again as a group of five.
Feraiden

Post by Feraiden »

They called it the priests curse. For some odd reason, being a priest made him the best candidate to give people really bad news. Possibly the worst news they would ever hear in their entire lives. And that memory would forever be associated with him, how enlightening. But these things are to be expected, people either find salvation, or doubt in faith when these bad things happen.

He remembered a paticular instance more vividly than others. He had been sitting in a castle, reading a book quietly, when they brought in an injured warrior. Right from first appearance one could tell that he was probably not going to make it. There was a large gash in between his hip and armpit. One could even see his ribs it was so deep and open, it was a horrible sight. Though the druids worked hard, and even got most of the bleeding to stop, it was no use. He got up and moved closer, and as he did, he realized who it was. He was the son of a good lizard woman he knew. This made things hurt even more, because he was fully aware of how close their relationship was.

The druids motions went from quick and frantic to slow and sorrowful. There wasn't even enough time to get him to a bed, they did their work right on the floor. One of them, a human, slowly looked up at Feraiden, who could only blink at all of this. He gave a slow respectful nod, and then went off into the other room. A few minutes later one of the lizard warriors came in. He could tell by the lizards armor and weapons that he was higher on the heirarchy than most others.

"Priest, come with me."

He knew what was going to happen. They left the castle silently and down a deserted dirt road, with wooden shacks on each side. The lizard moved with haste until he came to a paticular house, which Feraiden recognized as well. The lizard woman he knew had seen them coming down the street through a small window, and she came outside onto the front step leading inside. Feraiden slowly lowered his hood down, and the warrior lizard took off his helmet and held it tightly against his chest. She fell to the ground at the same instand they did this, and tears came out of her deep black eyes.

The priests curse.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The grey clouds continue to pass over them, as they move slowly back to their destination. The edge of the forest, which they walked near for so long gives way to more open space to their left. Hours pass as they walk more and more, until another town appears on the horizon to their right, where the edge of the forest use to be. None of them seem to give any care to it, except the Lizard, who stares into the distance as they move, not even looking where he walks.

"Can we stop...please? There is smoke coming from that village."

"There's smoke coming from all of them, keep moving."

The lizard looks back and forth from the group, to the town, to the group, to the town. He slowly comes to a full stop and changes the direction of his stride towards the town down the long hill. No one notices until Fooser takes a quick look back, then stops also. As Fooser stops, the lizard begins to jog, and then starts a full run toward the town.

"Damnit, where are you going?!"

The lizard enters through an opened gate, into the town. He looks on with dissapointment at the destruction within, though it isn't quite as bad as the other town he was in. The streets have turned to mud from the earlier rain, but small fires still burn within some of the buildings. Rubble lines much of the street, and people still seem to be living in some of them.

Fooser comes up behind him and grabs his shoulder as he continues looking around, startling him a little. "We need to get going."

"I must find out what happened here, you can keep going." The lizard scurries off into the town, while Fooser sighs and follows, at a much slower pace.

"Fooser!" The name sounds out from down the street. "Coming..."

Fooser moves along the street, looking from side to side, spotting lizards and humans every once in a while within the better kept buildings. As he reaches the end he comes up on the Lizard, who is standing beside about four other lizards, he speaks to one of them in paticular.

"Fooser, this is the guard leader of this town."

"What happened?"

"Well, things aren't as bad as they could be. Undead never actually came in. Brought up a catapult and assembled on the hill outside, hit us hard for days straight. You can't imagine what its like trying to sleep when a boulder could come in and crush you at any moment."

"I can imagine."

"Then one day we all got up, and it was disassembled and taken away. They either needed it elsewhere or mistook us all for dead after all the destruction, if so, they were wrong."

"How many do you have left?" Fooser asks, looking at the lizards beside the other, wondering if there are more.

"About a dozen here. Only because a lot of stubborn citizens won't leave. So here we stay."

The lizard turns to Fooser. "We can't leave, we need to help them."

Fooser moves closer to the guard lizard, ignoring what the other lizard said. "Sorry to come in here, and then have to leave again, but we need to get him home, and safe."

"I'm not leaving." The lizard says flatly.

Fooser turns around, and mocks his tone, "Yes, we are."

"The undead will come here...and once they overrun this town it will be all open for them to crush the rest! We can't leave!"

"Is that what we're suppose to tell your father, when he learns he has to bury his own son?" Fooser asks questioningly.

"I bet you wish there were more people like me when your parents home was attacked."

"This isn't about me."

The lizard just stands back and looks at Fooser, already satisfied with his comments and arguments at him.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

An hour had gone by since the exchange between Fooser and the Lizard son. Fooser walks aimlessly about the town, wooden boards, rocks, and furniture surround him nearly on all sides. Feraiden walks up slowly behind him.

"What now?" He asks, his hood covers most of his head, as usual.

"Feraiden. The world has gone insane."

"It's always been insane, you know that."

"But this is different. This is...point-of-no-return complete madness."

The priest smirks a little from under his hood.

"This lizard gets found by us, injured and possibly near death if no one found him. He gets a free walk back to permanent safety. But he refuses, and wants to stay here." Fooser points in a circle to the area around them. "What do you think?"

"You probably won't like this, but I think he's right. Plus, even if he didn't say anything, I would be inclined to stay. There are innocents here. And where the undead are, I will be, to vanquish their presence."

Fooser scratches some of the scales on the back of his neck, while the priest continues to speak. "And...I assume CF will stay as well. He likes to use his bow. And I doubt he would be up for dinner with his leader." The priest smiles a little.

"So it is then. We are going to stay."
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Fooser walks up the the Lizard son, and the group of guards, with enthusiasm and quickness he didn't have up until now. He throws down his things in front of them and looks around to each one. He also dumps a bunch of extra weapons down onto the ground, at their feet.

"We can't win this if we fight openly. Sixteen people is not enough. We need to use whatever advantages we have here in this town."

"Aye, sir. My guards can handle as much as they can. Just say what you need."

"...CF."

"Yes?"

"I need you to get into a spot where you can shoot them down, without being in much danger yourself. Where would you go for that?"

"Somewhere high." He turns and looks up at a building, mostly in tact, that is a few floors tall, and has windows running along its entire side. "There will be good. Give me a few dozen arrows, and a bottle of ale, and I'm a happy man." One of the guard lizards tosses a sack of arrows at him. He picks them up and starts to walk towards the door of the building, grabbing a bottle before he goes inside, and dissapears.

"We need a trap, I think." Slarkaz says, analyzing the layout of the town from where they stand.

"That we do." Fooser stats to look around in the same manner. "If we could get someone to distract, and get their attention...then run into one of these larger buildings...then they would all go in after them, and we can light it with torches."

"I could handle that." Feraiden comes forward confidently.

"You sure?"

"As sure as anything, Fooser." Fooser directs the priest to a large pile of boards, to hide behind for the time being, until he is needed.

"That leaves myself, and the leaders son here to get torches and light the place when they're inside." Fooser continues to think, obviously having things go really quick in his mind.

"Slarkaz. You're the best fighter, and the best equipped out of us all. You and the guard captain, and the rest of the guards will fight. Not openly, but within buildings, between buildings, wherever you can get an advantage. Be prepared for close contact with them. And spread out as well, I don't care where."

Slarkaz and the guard captain nod in unison, and both, along with what is left of the guards, disperse hastily behind rubble, inside of abandoned buildings, and onto the ground, leaving the open area of the town very empty.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Feraiden leans up against the wooden boards outside of a home. He puts his lefts out and takes out his book about Tanora and begins to read and write in it. The letters flow smoothly across the parchment. He continues writing for a while, and once he is done with a few paragraphs, he smiles slightly. He closes the book and turns around again, looking up over the rubble towards the gate.

Slarkaz leans up against a stone wall, fiddling with a small pendant around his neck. The string is quite frail and simple, but the pendant itself is shaped like waves in the ocean. There is writing in some form of lizard dialect going around the side of it, it seems to glow a bluish-green color. He looks over towards the guard captain, who is leaning in a similar position, and is eating a roll of bread.

"You have anymore of that stuff?" Slarkaz says, trying to keep his voice down.

The guard captain looks back at him, then down to the ground. He picks up another roll that was sitting in the mud and tosses it over to Slarkaz, who takes a quick look at it, then takes a large bit out of it.

Fooser and CF sit inside of one of the larger buildings in town. Despite its size, there is very little furniture, or any possessions at all left inside. It seems clear that the previous owners got up and left before the storm hit them. Fooser sats at one of the remaining tables, a very small square one, while CF sits on the ground under a window, with the bottle of ale next to him.

"...Does CF stand for anything?"

"Aye..."

"What, exactly?"

CF says quietly. "Crazy Fool."

Fooser blinks a few times as he hears the answer to his question. "...That's it? That's your name?"

"Aye, sir."

Fooser begans to laugh, softly at first, then louder. "And uhm...why do you get called this?"

"Because...I could make a comfortable living wherever I wanted too. Being a good archer, and a good craftsman. But instead, I choose to sleep on dirt every night. Or that was the reason I was told. I don't think my intelligence is lacking."

Fooser shakes his head, still smirking, "Common sense perhaps, but not intelligence."

As their conversation finishes, a loud shriek can be heard outside of the walls to the town. Fooser jumps up out of his chair, it falls to the ground on its side. He takes a quick look at CF, then starts running full speed down the stairs, his feet hitting hard against them. He emerges out onto the street and looks around in every direction. "Get ready! Hold the town, and guard the innocents...at all costs." The last phrase rings out, with deadly clarity.

Fooser looks back up behind him, to CF, who is making emphatic gestures in a certain direction. Fooser mutters quietly to himself. "South..." He then looks for a good place to hide, and runs and dives behind some rocks and boards.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The undead enter the town without being cautious at all. They pour in, one after the other, looking around for enemies, or things to destroy. Feraiden keeps his head down, while still being able to look over the rubble at all the intruders. He looks over at Fooser and the leaders son, who motion for him to stay down and not start the trap yet. As the undead come in, some move to the left, some to the right, and some come right down the main road, there Fooser and Feraiden hide. Fooser looks back up to CF, and gives him a slight nod.

CF takes a small drink of ale, and sets the bottle down next to him. He says a small prayer to himself, and slowly moves down, from window to window, looking for the best shot. He stops at one paticular window and raises his bow, putting an arrow in, and aims. His shot hits with perfect accuracy, the zombie coming down the street gets hit in the chest, and falls back onto the ground, motionless.

Fooser looks up quickly, as he hears the sounds of swords clashing. Slarkaz and the guards must be engaging the undead on either side of the main street. Fooser turns back to Feraiden, and continues to motion for him to stay down. Arrows continue to come out of the window, hitting random undead as they come down the street. CF shoots one arrow after the other, until arrows begin to shoot back, one chipping the wood off from the window, and he backs up, a bit startled, and moves to another window, and looks down.

Both lizards turn to the priest, and change their gestures, now motioning for him to get up. "Go now. NOW NOW!" Feraiden jumps up out of the rubble and looks at the large number of oncoming undead. He whispers something to himself, and then moves his staff about. A large white shine comes out, and the undead fall back, getting knocked over by this. Feraiden waits for them to get up before he runs into the building. Many of the undead follow, but not quite all of them. Fooser continues to watch as they go inside. "Hurry, light my torch also!" Fooser moves his torch towards the other lizards, whose is already lit, until they both burn brightly. "Come on!" Fooser and the lizard get up from their hiding spot and move quickly across the street. They both throw their torches into the building. The fire spreads quickly.

"Fooser!" A voice sounds out from inside the building. "Feraiden?!"
"There's no back exit to this building! And this windows are boarded!"
"Damnit."
Fooser begins to make his way towards the entrance, until the leaders son stops him. "Ill go in."
"You come right back out."
"I will."
The lizard takes a quick look in, then enters into the flames. Undead that haven't burned already throw themselves at him, and the priest, who is still standing in the back. The lizard pushes them off of him and into the fire. He takes a stool that hasn't been hit by the flames yet and smashes it against one of the boarded windows. The first try fails, and he continues smashing it against the wood, until it loosens, then he pushes the wood out with his arm, and dives out, the priest follows hastily. "Go on, Feraiden. Go!" The priest gets up, and moves around the buildings, to find more cover.

CF watches the fire burn across the road from where he is. He takes the bottle of ale from beside him and starts to lean out a window. He grips the bottle tightly and launches it as far as he can towards the flames. It lands into the burning building, causing a small explosion. He grins a little at this, and then stops as he heres steps coming up to his floor. He slowly turns and looks back at the eyesockets of a zombie. He starts to stumble backwards until he regains his confidence, and drops his bow, running full speed at the creatures, causing both to fall onto the floor. CF punches at the zombie, hitting its head over and over. Eventually, the zombie throws him off with suprising force, considering how frail it looks in appearance. CF grabs an arrow out of the sack, and comes at the zombie again, trying to stab him with it. The zombie stops him by grabbing his arm and tries to hold it in place, so the arrow doesn't come down any further. CF pushes down, groaning in frustration, "Eerrrgh!" The zombie seems to begin to smirk, and exhales a smelly odor from its mouth. CF falls onto his back, coughing, his face turning a light shade of green. Both manage to get back onto their feet to continue the struggle. The zombie pushes CF back towards a window, then comes at him with full force, knocking them both out of the opening, and down all the way onto the street. Both land, and remain motionless.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The undead had overrun much of the town. Fooser yells out for all that are left to pull back towards the center of town. No one immediately answers, and Fooser fears the worst. He begins to hobble down the road towards the area of town where most of the citizens were still living in. He makes it to another pile of rubble along the street and falls over. He had been hit in the upper leg with an arrow, which he removed himself. He pulls himself up so that he is leaning upright. The undead continue to flood through the streets, making their way into Fooser's sight.

They got closer and closer, running about like savages, destroying what they could. Until they saw Fooser, still living, and made him their next target. A group of a dozen undead begin to jog down the road towards him. Fooser begins to pick up stones from the ground and throws them with what little energy he has left. A few of the stones actually hit their target, but do little other than irritate the zombies. They continue getting closer until Fooser starts crawling back more, until he gets against a wall, and just watches the oncoming rush of death. He never even said goodbye to anyone before he left Gobaith. And beside that island, which was his haven, and his torment, he had few contacts outside of it that he cared about. The undead got right up to a few feet from him, when a rain of spears came down upon them, knocking all of them back, none were spared.

Fooser blinks a few times, the shock and worry almost making it impossible for him to register what had happened. He then snaps out of him and begins to look around, seeing a large number of fully armed lizards come into his view, with the sign of Lizardom on the front of their armor, or shields if they had one. All the different lizards shout orders to eachother, to coordinate ridding the town of the invaders. Fooser sits, still dazed, a small amount of blood coming from out of his mouth, watching all of them.
Feraiden

Post by Feraiden »

Feraiden stood in front of the large castle. They had left from here only a few days ago it seemed to him. He wondered if the world had gotten any better since then, if anyones lives had gotten better. If the tide against the undead had actually turned since then. He came to the conclusion that it might not have. Slarkaz stood at his side, also looking up at the castle. Colorful banners hung from various points on the castle, showing pride for both family and nation. Feraiden breathed in heavily, taking the events of the past few days in. Many things went through his mind, but he knew what he had to do now, he was all too familiar with it.

Slarkaz opened the large wooden double doors into the main room of the castle. The human and lizard duo walked in slowly, ashamed of what they had to do. They both walked in, matching strides perfectly as they approached the leader of lizardom, the above water part that was. Feraiden slowly lowered his hood as he got closer to the leader, and he stopped. Slarkaz took off his helmet and held it tightly against his torso.