Suggestion:Attribute explanations on character creation page

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Devrah Windslasher ~

Suggestion:Attribute explanations on character creation page

Post by Devrah Windslasher ~ »

I've noticed there are always a lot of questions on this forum asking what the attributes mean, and a lot of people that don't discover what they mean until after the character has beenc reated. Why not put a short description of what each stat means next to its name on the character creation page? I think it would be a good idea, since things like "Essence" can mean different things in other games, and people might think it is something else. It would simplify things a little, I think.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Though I believe there is work on a whole new system, a quick fix might be in order?
Necrontyr_arising
Location: The Last Samurai is a brilliant film...."I knew a bob once, god he was as ugly as a mule"

Post by Necrontyr_arising »

I remember when I fist started and I wanted to make a fighting orc character I was so excited to play I didn't bother looking on this forum I just thought constitution was a mages skill for some reason.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I'm going to rework the whole system and all proposals are welcome.

And i think, to would be the best, if i implement attribut disscriptions of this kind:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... php?t=9047

Nitram
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Nitram wrote:I'm going to rework the whole system and all proposals are welcome.

And i think, to would be the best, if i implement attribut disscriptions of this kind:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... php?t=9047

Nitram
What do you mean rework? Different stats? Different ways theyre used? Different...um....limits? if you explain exactly what you mean ill gladly bombard you with proposals about it ;)
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

The allocation method mostly. The whole system of allocating the attributes now is rather annoying. So no, they will not have a different meaning.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

HMm, I think that having more points to distribute (though of course give a usefulness ratio accordingly) would be better, as you can balance yourself better. Maybe a 3 to 30 point basic, with 1, 2, 31, 32, and 33 being outliers (species specific)

And what exactly do you mean its annoying? its how most games distribute points...
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

"HMm, I think that having more points to distribute (though of course give a usefulness ratio accordingly) would be better, as you can balance yourself better. Maybe a 3 to 30 point basic, with 1, 2, 31, 32, and 33 being outliers (species specific)

And what exactly do you mean its annoying? its how most games distribute points..."

He means the actual system. Not changing the amount of distributable points. The current system is about filling in, testing if you have enough, getting a message you need to remove or add a certain amount of points.
That is quite annoying. There will now be a better interface as far as I could understand, with slider bars.

P.S. getting new point values would screw up game balance, and would require mister Nitram to look at every script again. Those are a LOT of scripts. :wink:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The basic stays the same.

Limits, Stats, Meanings. Everything the same.

Just the interface changes ^^
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Nitram wrote:The basic stays the same.

Limits, Stats, Meanings. Everything the same.

Just the interface changes ^^
Oh, I see. Um, not sure how much I could help you there, and if its just the interface, i wouldnt call it reworking the system. Im thinking though, that when you input a value, it will ahve a text box that wil lgive you a message describing your character, similar to the link you pointed out, but with every value detailed nicely, with comparisons and whatnot. Like

Say I put my intelligence at 18. Said box might display:

"With such a high intelligence, you are easily able to learn just about anything that involves your mind. Whether it be language, reading, math, or whatever, your mind will quickly figure out what it needs to figure out, and about as effortlessly as a normal individually can tell himself to shake someone's hand."

And for 17, maybe:

"You have a vastly superior mind, with very few people able to overcome you mentally. You are able to learn most mind-based things with extreme ease, with maybe some minimal effort for something incredibly straining to the average mind."

As you can see, still very complimentary, but with obvious changes, like "Minimal effort" instead of "effortlessly".

On the other end of the spectrum, say, for 3 strength

"You are probably among the weakest people around. Lifting your clothes off of your back can cause cramps, preventing you from wearing anything heavier than cloth easily, and an attack with a sword would probably not even hurt a fly; that is, if you could even lift the sword in the first place."

and then with 4

"You are of the incredibly weak variety. Your punches would cause a 14 year old boy to laugh, and any armor you could carry on your back would be of the lightest variety: barely stronger than cloth to begin with"

Etc etc
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Lets say it in this way:

The basic things (attributes etc.) stay the same.

The way the whole thing works, may changes a little.

Any proposals are welcome (via PM)

Nitram
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

ok, the way things work is vague again ;). Im geussing you mean where they may be applied, as well as the interface?
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Not really stick to the basic stats, and maybe it is fixed already:

When you create a character online with the german interface, the "weight" is given as Kilograms "kg", but in fact it is pounds.

PS: Good news that you don't have to calculate your stats in your own in the future...