"Newb" In seek of help.

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Berenind

"Newb" In seek of help.

Post by Berenind »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Berenind, which means 'Brave Heart' in Elvish. I have just joined this game, and I await for a reply back from the Dev team, to see if I am able to play.

- Question:

Is the combat skills in this game, fair and equal? I am looking to be a full time archer, with great arching abilites. Would I be able to take down an Orge, or Human, or are there combat skills always stronger then mine?

Simple question, but its very much needed to be answered.

Thanks & Regards,
Berenind.

Last edited by Berenind on Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

You will be able to defend yourself against monsters and also other players. but you need a high skill. and you should never forget that you are, asn an archer, weak in melees. so if you play smart you have equal chances.

only problem is, to train archery is very difficult. you need thousands of arrows, and someone helping you blocking the monsters while you shoot at them.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

There are no body armor restrictions (head might be sometime in the future) for archers. With decent armor and good hit percentage you can kill most npc's save skeletons and group monsters. Archery right now sucks big time in pvp, but you likely won't get good enough skill comparable to pvp warriors till the new and much better system comes out. Considering my last experience with my somewhat archer character, he's quite good and couldn't kill someone with 100 arrows, but could kill a troll with about 5-7 arrows including misses. The future holds alot more balance.
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Well, my story was accepted, and I am now awaiting approval for my name to be allowed :roll:

- Elf's are known for there quick feet, and fast hands. If I am faster then most players, and I can master my bow... I think ill be able to defend myself pretty well.

Hopefully when they fix the class, combat seperations, archers will have a better chance. For now... Wish me luck. :)
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

I wish you luck :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Just a tip, if you want an archer; first train the person as a carpenter, so he will be able to fletch arrows.

Also you should try to increase your parryign skills, so do fight hand-to-hand, even just to get the thread for making the arrows.

Best of luck, for i plan the same thing myself ;)
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

- I played the game today. It's boring not having anyone around to talk to. Why are there so few players on? I have yet to run into anyone. I suppose its good with training though.

- Any good advice on were to first train hand to hand combat, to get my skill up? I suppose ill need some money aswell. :roll:

This will be interesting...
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

You should play the game around 6 pm GMT until 3 am GMT. thats the time where are the most players ingame.
Saradomin_Meranwyn

Post by Saradomin_Meranwyn »

South wall of Troll'sbane,
Train on the piggies. :wink:

Once you get better, try the mummies north of the Castle,
and perhaps the skeletons in the lower level.
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Alright,

Thanks for all the help. I'll read up more on the guides for the game, and ill look around for some maps to help me out on my journey. I live in America, East Coast, New York. I'm not to good with the whole GMT time zone. What time is 6 and 3 GMT, for Eastern Time Zone?

(It's currently 10:12 p.m. Eastern)
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

your GMT -5, so just subtract 5 hours from each, so 1pm-10pmST
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Alright then, thanks a lot for the break down :D

- At that time, GMT, I am in school. I suppose ill have to play this game on saturday around that time. I'll see if I can meet up with some nice players to help me around the game.

So far the game looks pretty well designed, with nice graphics. Now all I need to see is myself rising to the top :roll:
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

soon the grafics will turn from "nice" too "...". we will get a great update in the near future ;)
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Can't wait!

- As for now, I better bone up on my skills in and around the game. When the game comes out of beta, and into its full out "complete" game mode, I don't want to be seen as a newb, yet as a well respected player around this community.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

When the game comes out of beta, and into its full out "complete" game mode, I don't want to be seen as a newb, yet as a well respected player around this community.
lol...don't worry, you still have years for that :P. Since the game is still in alpha phase, and not even in beta ;)
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

This is till alpha?

- When I looked this game up, I believe it said Beta. Alright then, I'll very much be a respected member of this community before the game is complete :roll: - Hopefully this game will live on for many years to come.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

it survived the last 5 years. Don't worry, Illarion is the cockroach under the online games :P.
Poots

Post by Poots »

this game won't be done for a loooong time.
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Maybe I should just move back to Runescape :roll: (Hate that game)

- Why would it take so long? I myself am a game designer, and most 3D games, take only up to around 2 years to have a nice game. This is with a staff team of only around 6-8 members. This is not even a full out 3D game. This is more like 2D isometric... But I suppose some people prefer to work slow, to get the bugs out first, rather then work fast, and then go back...
Enwell van Illdoran

Post by Enwell van Illdoran »

i find nowhere a better RPG community ...
Its because of the rules we have... SO it will survive us all i guess...
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Berenind wrote:Maybe I should just move back to Runescape (Hate that game)

- Why would it take so long? I myself am a game designer, and most 3D games, take only up to around 2 years to have a nice game. This is with a staff team of only around 6-8 members. This is not even a full out 3D game. This is more like 2D isometric... But I suppose some people prefer to work slow, to get the bugs out first, rather then work fast, and then go back...
Don't go looking for pity, no one is going to beg you to stay. It would be nice if you'd be a member of the community because we always like new members but no one is going to grovel at your feet and tell you not to go back to some other game. You can play two games at once, most of us don't just play Illarion.

It takes so long because the game is always improving. Play the game and enjoy it. They don't work slow 'they' (the development team) work hard, they're always just making it better for us and for themselves. The development team is proud of the work they've done over the last 5 years so please don't bash it. Illarion has come a long way. And the game will most likely always be in the alpha phase. I think it says that on the main page somewhere. I'm going to say again that the developers work for free in their spare time. They don't get paid and they don't always get thanks for all the hard work they do.

If you're a game designer then instead of complaining just appreciate the game for what it is: a work of art that takes more than just a development team to make it work.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Illarion will most certainly be in a constant state of change. Our developers are always getting new ideas and trying to get them implemented. If a final version of the game were released, it would mean that the developers are not working on the game any longer.

We don't want this to happen.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Berenind wrote:Any good advice on were to first train hand to hand combat, to get my skill up? I suppose ill need some money aswell. :roll:
Since he is an elf, i doubt that you should masscare innocent piggies, some elves wont like that. The best option is to make friends (in a guild?) or just join groups for attacks on the temple, then scavage with whatever you find.

As for armor, the skeleton in the temple is a bitty too hard, but gives really cheap and bad armor, however if you ask someone, they might get it for you.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Hello my near sighted friend :)

If you wish to help this game get out of alpha with great ideas, you could always help script, We always welcome those good at learning. Even though some of us arn't great *nudges a certain someone* But yes, just send a message to Nitram if you wish to help :P. He is lazy sometimes so it may take a bit for him to reply ;)

~Broc
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Quinasa wrote:
Berenind wrote:

-
Don't go looking for pity, no one is going to beg you to stay. It would be nice if you'd be a member of the community because we always like new members but no one is going to grovel at your feet and tell you not to go back to some other game. You can play two games at once, most of us don't just play Illarion. /color]

- Quinasa,

Where in my posts does it say that I am looking to leave these forums? Why are you trying to make me look like a fool, asking people to "grovel at my feet". My friend, I am no stranger to the RPG community. I have played many RPG games, and this is the best community I have yet to visit. - When I said I should go back to Runescape, it was a joke. Runescape has one of the worst role playing communities out there. I hate the whole entire game in general.

This thread is way off topic. We should all stop replying, or get a mod to close this topic.[/b]
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Maybe I should just move back to Runescape (Hate that game)

And how many of that games are still alive or have a 100 % roleplay atmosphere ingame and no damn WoW, Runescape or Tibia "woot i am twelve year old and love slashing monsters and talking ooc whole time over" atmosphere?
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Listen,

I did not come here to start a fight with anyone. All I am saying, is that I am very interested in this game. It is the only game I have played that has such an RP community, which is great.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

And yet you start belitteling our staff members for being ... "slow" and just making a 2D game (were all models and items are full 3D) ?
That wasn't the brightest move, don't you think so ?
Especialy for someone brand new to a game, with only little insights into its development and custom's.

With that you have repeled some us if not a healthy majority.
Kamik Windslasher ~

Post by Kamik Windslasher ~ »

:roll:

Welcome to Illarion, mate.
Berenind

Post by Berenind »

Why is it that you all feel the erge to gang up on me?

All I was saying, is that 5 years, is a long time for a 2D isometrical / 3D game to be complete. Did I say that the staff team was slow? All I was giving is a true statement. I have nothing against the staff team of this game. So far, from what I have seen the game is really fun and interesting to play. I will be sticking with Illarion. It's the only game with such a great role playing atmosphere.

If I affended anyone in anyway, im sorry, that was not my intention. [/u]