Varshikar

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Varshikar

Post by Pendar »

I have just spent the evening rping in varshikar something I will lightly continue doing, for a change I have been playing there on one of my skilled account as such making use of the resources around. A few months ago we were all talking about putting the life back into other towns now we don’t even bother to mention it any more. In fact it appears we don’t even think of other towns as varshikar has been cut back to the barest possible with absolutely no reason to attract players at all.
The mine now seems to only yield gold and copper and gems, I mine around 40 items and not one piece of iron?
The merchant never has more around 130 coins? Which are always bled out by people who literally walk up there sell there goods and leave again in a flash.
The ogres are useless as the only merchant who seems to buy maces never has coin oh and be pays more cheap daggers any way.
They have sheep but not tools to make yarn, smoke over but only recently got pigs and that’s on the orc lands,
Only farm land is on Trollsbane and greenbriar so baking is out of the question as well.

Then we wonder why there is no role-play in varshikar, if I took all the resources of Trollsbane and placed them in the north it would be the centre of all rp on the island. How ever the place is all but derelict…
Greenbriar is proof that inactive places can apparently get all manner of useful things how ever there are 10X more varshikar players than greenbriar Halflings active in game.

Everything about that place is counter productive to attracting players, the mine which no longer even supplies coal or iron has an ogre near it most times and it’s a longer walk than the iron mine near TB. The houses are literally so small that to make space for a third person you have to climb on the bed.
Sure all of this could have been fixed by players, I would hope any way. How ever what varshikar actually requires now is real boring hard work, I am going to have sit and bore myself to death there with nothing productive to do just to be in game and rp. I don’t suppose many of our player base wish to do that, it certain doesn’t make me excited to be logging in.

My question is why has the north been torn to bare bones?
Would it have hurt to put a portal seller there?
A npc who bought some other items?
Some farm land?
Stock the npc with more coin so that people who play vashikari could actually make money despite the island populace bleeding it too?
The old varshikar was just up the road from TB and had the ogre’s one of the better monsters for high end warriors to train on.
Now it’s a boring walk or 30 coins away and there is no reason to go there.

If the staff neglects a game area you cannot blame the players for doing the same and Illarion is poorer for it, Trollsbanarion is simple just not as much fun.
Brian
Gabon Corad

Post by Gabon Corad »

I do agree. It sucks for many of the orcs because we have no NCPs as well although we do have some tools and the recent pigs but instead of walking to the nearest town we have to walk to Trollsbane to get out needs met. Also another thing is the lack of Quest for any place but Trollsbane. I think to most players near Varshikar was when the war between to orcs and the dwarves broke out and still no one went to Varshikar, alljust walked back to Trollsbane because there is no reason to stay in Varshikar. As an orc player and a chief of basically the orcs of the island its hard to keep a cave active when there is little reason to stay in the north. Like Brian said, the ogers are worthless for money since the trader has so little coin. I hope the GMs have seen this and the new server will be better for Rpin in other places other than TB.

i said it before in this post and almost everywhere else, to many quest happen in TB and none any where else. The attacks of the castle were great, but that conserned the town and the town only. I think if this Madrook actually whould have happend it could have been great but that whole day was baddly planned if you ask me. From what i heard only a child or something came from Madrooks portal. I thought that was going to be a large turning point for the quests but it never happened and i really havent heard of many quests since, now maby its just because im almost always at the cave any more or what ever the reason but the point is Varshikar is far to inactive to be left how it is.
PO Gabon
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

1)The Varshikar mine, north of the desert, has only ever given my dwarf iron ore and emeralds.

2)Maybe with the new client and map changes, Varshikar will get its own pigs, spinning whell, etc. Or maybe people just need to RP to make it happen, like other groups have done.

3)There still aren't many people that stay in Varshikar. I've been leaving my dwarf in there for IG and OOG reasons. I too feel that all the cities need more people in them, but with everything available in Troll's Bane, the distance from places, etc, its hard to find other reasons to go to Varshikar
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

1)The Varshikar mine, north of the desert, has only ever given my dwarf iron ore and emeralds
The mine near ogers varshikars actual mine in there copper,gold,emeralds when i mined today.The other one is the dwarfs and a long way
Maybe with the new client and map changes, Varshikar will get its own pigs, spinning whell, etc. Or maybe people just need to RP to make it happen, like other groups have done.
Many minor changes can be made all the time...I am not saying give it to varshikar for nothing. I am saying the place has slowly been cut down to nothing, not the best way to get people playing there.

3) exactly!
Yet everything goes straight to trollsbane...encourageing all rp to happen there.
Brian
Last edited by Pendar on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Greenbriar is proof that inactive places can apparently get all manner of useful things how ever there are 10X more varshikar players than greenbriar Halflings active in game.
I have seen more people in Varshikar than in Greenbriar.
Fooser

Re: Varshikar

Post by Fooser »

Pendar wrote: My question is why has the north been torn to bare bones?
It's not, the meat on the plate is just in the fridge :wink: From what I saw, there were multiple reasons for an inactive period, one being Arist gone for a while. The second and bigger of the two actually, was the war with the undead, which had Varshikar people in the south fighting, etc.
Gabon Corad

Post by Gabon Corad »

my point exactly, to many quest go to TB alone...no reason to stay in Varshikar
Ghorn

Post by Ghorn »

an other problem are leaders of varshikar who are more hanging around in trolls bane than in their own land ;).

How shall a town be active when not even their leaders want to be there?
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I agree with Gabon and Fooser, if there were events to jumpstart towns then they would be active again. Case and point is Silverbrand. Prior to Gishmel and his gang trying to take over Silverbrand, it was a ghost town, no one ever played there, yet when rumor started spreading from ooc abuse naturally, Silverbrand began to get active and look what happened that day, everyone who played dwarves who were inactive logged on, even Tialdin was brought back ingame.
I am sure if someone were to challenged Aristeaus' right to own Varshikar much of the inactive Varshikari would show up in force and try to end it, and hopefully, as what happened with Silverbrand, people would see the weakness in inactivity and would be working to change that by being more active and changing certain things with the government/system in total.
Ghorn

Post by Ghorn »

Case and point is Silverbrand. Prior to Gishmel and his gang trying to take over Silverbrand, it was a ghost town, no one ever played there, yet when rumor started spreading from ooc abuse naturally, Silverbrand began to get active and look what happened that day, everyone who played dwarves who were inactive logged on, even Tialdin was brought back ingame.
Wrong, Silverbrand got active again through the work of players like me, durin or friedwulfa, who were playing in silverbrand and involved it in rp.

it was not because of gishmel or the attack. but because of what we, the players of dwarves made out of it.

We made changes, we made roleplay, and we "forced" silverbrand into roleplay and roleplay scenes.

We started all this long before Gishmel came. Gishmel was just a part.

And silverbrand is full with new dwarves. not old inactive once logging in again
Gishmel

Post by Gishmel »

Ghorn stop being a baby and admit it. You know Gishmel and the rest made it active. Tialdin just happened to logg when Gishmel was there? And happened to start logging more afterwards? oookkk I guess your right.
Ghorn

Post by Ghorn »

Why should I admit something thats simply not true? Don't take gishmel too important.

Long before you came with Gishmel, Fjalara and me started the reorganisation of Silverbrand. That was when Durin came back, and Friedwulfa getting more involved in the Silverbrand rp. when that with Gishmel and his attack happened Durin and Friedwulfa used the kings wounding to declare the council. if you wouldn't have been there we would have done it without you.
and also the rp after your attack we would have done without you being there.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I also see that Varshikar has some drawbacks currently.

Concerning the mine:
Please keep in mind that Varshikar has access to two mines, not just one. The mine in the desert has some valueable stuff in it, too. I'd like to explain what was intended with the change in mining: First off, the rates of success have risen alot. Thus, you can mine much more easier. As it was before the change, you cannot find everything everywhere, this was made a bit stricter, though. By the way, it is untrue that you cannot find iron ore in the varshikarian mine.

Concerning the traders:
Yeah, has to be updated. And believe me, Varshikar will get one of the most awesome set of traders.
Ghorn

Post by Ghorn »

Please keep in mind that Varshikar has access to two mines, not just one. The mine in the desert has some valueable stuff in it, too.
which lays on Silverbrandland :P
King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

More people need to know about this game, a more densley populated map would create a more fun and varied experience. Then both cities would be populated. It is then that we should encourage player led governemt and factions. I would greatly enjoy this.
Irania

Post by Irania »

King Cobra wrote:It is then that we should encourage player led governemt and factions.
We already have that.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

King Cobra wrote:More people need to know about this game, a more densley populated map would create a more fun and varied experience.
Indeed.
Get as much good roleplayers as you can. We are happy about everyone new :)
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

King Cobra, I suggest you to play the game for some weeks before making suggestions and proposals ;)
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Pendar wrote: The mine now seems to only yield gold and copper and gems, I mine around 40 items and not one piece of iron?
Try out an other rock. There is iron. :wink:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Lennier wrote:
Pendar wrote: The mine now seems to only yield gold and copper and gems, I mine around 40 items and not one piece of iron?
There is no iron rock, as far as i know. ;)
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Nitram wrote:
Lennier wrote:
There is no iron rock, as far as i know. ;)
There is, gotta search a bit ;-)
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

King Cobra, I suggest you to play the game for some weeks before making suggestions and proposals
Shandariel, all players are equal and welcome to make suggestions and offer their opinion whenever they like. There's no need to tell other players to be quiet just because you feel like it.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

You misunderstood me. I don't meant him to be quiet, but before he can make suggestion he should play the game to see where suggestions and proposals are needed ^_^. I think youalso nwould say that you can't make suggestions and proposals without playing the game before ;)

like this:
It is then that we should encourage player led governemt and factions. I would greatly enjoy this.
if he would has played the game for some weeks he would has known that we already have that.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Myself and Rinya have decided that talking in circles is stupid and makes us want to shoot cats. We went ahead and added things to Varshikar. You can put it down to a mysterious benefactor helping things. The things there are now upgraded from shitbysmal, to basic. We've also added some visual touches and if you look around, there's a small patch of farmland by water, which makes sense. What else is needed?
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Good. Now give Vanima farmland, tailorequipment, an inn and a smithery and Silverbrand pigs, farmland and the long planned and massive paid reconstructions. Just than it would be fair.

if not than i ask myself why others have to do quests, make roleplay, take actions and gather thousands of rawmaterials and money to get what Varshikar gots now. While the peoples of Varshikar haven't took actions or tried to better the situation through roleplay or initiatives and still get all that stuff.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

They rebuilt Northerot and paid to have houses and stuff rebuilt. Good enough for you?
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Oh, and Silverbrand and Vanima paid nothing, yes? oh come on. They too paid alot of money and rawmaterials. AND they did roleplay, quests and took initiatives.

Just look at the orcs, who work, roleplay and pay at the moment for the rebuild of their cave.
What have the Varshikaris did in the last months?
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

Thank you Jap and Rinya. the "sparkle, sparkle" of Varshikar looks great.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Shandariel el Lysanthrai wrote:Good. Now give Vanima farmland, tailorequipment, an inn and a smithery and Silverbrand pigs, farmland and the long planned and massive paid reconstructions. Just than it would be fair.

if not than i ask myself why others have to do quests, make roleplay, take actions and gather thousands of rawmaterials and money to get what Varshikar gots now. While the peoples of Varshikar haven't took actions or tried to better the situation through roleplay or initiatives and still get all that stuff.
Farmland was paid for previously by Quinasa, I dont see the problem with that.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Varshikar had farmland prior to the new client. Also had a bit more space I think. I do not think Varshikar is getting anything new, new would be a dock, fishing shack, inn etc. Vanima elves never did anything to get farmland and dwarves are stinky and so do not deserve anything on the surface.