Attributes...

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Faladron

Attributes...

Post by Faladron »

Well I don't know how to put it, but I did some things wrong while choosing the attributes for my character. :?
I didn't think too much about it and wanted a rather "average" character.

Now the problem is:

I roleplayed for a while now, playing a craftsman. And now I experience some drawbacks due to not having the right attributes (well without my good tools I'd be a way below average craftsman). :cry:

I have read the tread about the attributes now (and I give in, I should have had earlier, but I didnt know how exactly those attributes would affect skill technical gameplay before)
and wanted to ask if there's a second chance to rechoose them, or do I have to roleplay a tragic accident and start from the scratch again with some new character?

I admit I should have thought about this before but after being granted an accout I somewhat lost myself in all the excitement and didn't think too much about it anymore.

I'm happy for any kind of critics or help, but don't flame me for this please.
Moirear Sian

Re: Attributes...

Post by Moirear Sian »

Faladron wrote:I'm happy for any kind of critics or help, but don't flame me for this please.
Not a single reason in my mind why I'd flame you for this.

Finally a live example of: 'Why the secrecy shrouding most rudimentary game concepts is silly and detrimental to roleplaying.' ;)
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

1st off, your attributes are good for a craftsman, no need to change them. We do not grant a second chance, if we would, we'd have to offer such a change to everyone after every change we make. And we make lots of changes everyday.

Average chars are not bad, all changes we are making tend to promote average chars. Maxed chars will have serious drawbacks in future.

Just play on!

Edit:
This might help to answer "Which attributes shall I choose...?"-questions. One secret down!
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=14602
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Alright, thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah I'll just play with the flow then, some digits won't destroy the faith in myself :lol:

Though I thought it was worth a try asking... :roll:
Llama

Post by Llama »

How far do they effect you??? Is a person with a low number unable to do the actions of one with a high number?

Or does one take more time than the other to learn?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Someone who is clumsy with their hands would not make a good craftsman, likewise someone weak as a twig would probobly not make a good miner, also someone dumb as a rock probobly could not read or write. Its all logical, and relative.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

But there are so many attributes that are not made, that could affect how you do stuff if you lack another.

For example:
likewise someone weak as a twig would probobly not make a good miner
A skinny guy can make a good miner if he can at least lift the tool. Constantly mining will make you better at mining, raising your physical endurance. But, there's no attribute called "endurance." Strength would help in mining, but it wouldn't make you a good miner. Actually mining does.

Steroids can help you play baseball better, but it isn't a requirement.

Attributes should only give you an edge or lack thereof in your character's chosen profession, not decide what his profession will be.