Some help on production of items

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Grunith Shuth

Post by Grunith Shuth »

Moirear Sian wrote:Alpha Phase.

A-L-P-H-A phase.

Alpha --> first letter in the greek alphabet.
phase
n.
  • 1. A distinct stage of development.
As Sian said, they're working on it. Give them time. This game is still in Alpha phase and not everything can be fixed with the snap of your fingers. Please, be patient.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Oh i am not being impatient I am just saying it is something they should look into.
Grunith Shuth

Post by Grunith Shuth »

Which is where I'm saying this not to be snapping back at you, but they've already been told in a few other threads currently. It's on their list of things to look into later as they've stated. It just only adds stress onto them to read the same thing over and over.
Mimblethorp

Post by Mimblethorp »

Bloodhearte wrote:Man, what a bunch of pansies we have here...

The dwarves have shiny metal objects, boo-hoo...want a tissue? :lol: Go barter with some people, beg, steal stuff, make chaos damn it! Even a monkey can make something resembling a sharp weapon with a branch and stone carving tool.
Heheh, I don't mind grovelling a little to the dwarves but DARN IT! I WANT THEM TO GROVEL TO ME TOO! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Eh hrm, sorry about that, won't happen again.
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

There is the bug report board.
http://illarion.org/flyspray/index.php?

Many bugs are listet there. Please report there and have a look there, which bugs and unbalancings are just known.
There's also the possibility to write a comment to a known bug.

It is hard for the devs to have a look all over those many topics with many sides to find all, what has to be done.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Look I posted allready on this and am going to do again. Indeed the current imbalance is that with only carpentary and smithing working it certainly seems the dwarfs have a huge advantage. Indeed with the sudden swing in sam and elizas prices, I am unsure how any one will make a coin with out power gaming on bandits. If you arent a warrior I am not sure what you will do at all. How ever I found out in game how people were smithing by asking every smith i met till the puzzle pieces fell togther. You know what i am still not 100% sure but as soon as i can come up with the money I have allready worked out a way to acess it.
The current imbalance is simply that the game is bearly functioning at the moment. So all people can seem to do is make axe handels and kill bandits. Its a mountain out of a mole hill people :).
The imbalance to me was more when smithing entered the game, We had a quarter functional game everyone running around with daggers and suddenly bam some one selling plate armour for 500 coins.
Give it a few weeks people think back on how easily one use to make 500 coins on the old client, maybe two days gameing ?
Allready good rp is coming out of it, I have taken a rather abrasive approach to durins monopoly some dwarfs are for it some are apposed.
Are we seeing the start of dwarfs being banned from eliza?..the beggings of a secrative smiths guild that will in the end own all the tools?...The opening of silverbrand to all as trollsbane is in the interest of fair trade. Watch and make the rp happen :lol:
Everyone is so busy chaseing the next big legg up, we forget to rp...you know what in 2 months the extra 100 coins you earned today. That few levels ahead you are in fighting etc...is not going to matter as everyone is going to be catching up and halflings will be smithing.
Only the rp is going to stay and these formative days of our new island can either be the best or worst rp one has had in illarion. I have allready expierenced both...lets make it good
Brian
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

I must congratulate staff on taking the right track in herb lore.
Finally, it is reminiscent of the UO system.

Herbs spawn and are publicly available. This is a good decision. A good direction.

Will sickles be useful? I tried all ways of the old client to gather herbs.
Sickle does not work with any tile or any bush, as well as using any bush with any tile or any tile with any bush.

Any hints there?

What role does herb lore skill play, and how do you train in it?
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Actually, I quite dislike the new herb system. Yes, randomly finding herbs would be good for getting new players started, but maybe there should be a skill for getting them a bit more reliably. Besides, it's REALLY boring. Wander, wander, wander some more, and I don't enjoy just wandering around in this game.
martin

Post by martin »

This is just a first rough version of this system, it will become more selective later when we have time to write all the necessary scripts.

Martin
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

However, a LOT less temptation to powergame a skill, which was really annoying to powergame.

If there is a skill I need - I need it maxed to minimize decay. I powergame that skill.

This game is real slow and producing tons of potions, drinking which - destroys the bottle - I needed 1000s of bottles, thousands of herbs.

Hence, I damn sure powergamed the herb lore and glassblowing skills.

Now herb lore is kinda solved. You devote your life to the forest - you find herbs. But you have a point. Maybe they should spawn more often and in larger amounts. But that will create craploads of lag.

The way I saw glassblowing in the past:

1. Bottles break when potions drank.
2. We need 1000s of bottles to make potions effectively.
3. Even a newb can make a potion bottle, but with more failure rate.
4. We all want to GM glassblowing in order to make less failures. Only bottle failure rate - motivates us to GM the skill.
5. We have a huge overproduction of bottles.
6. Aside from vases and blocks of ice, there are no items. Aside from bottles, glassblowing is a skill which nobody needs.
7. No creative RP-good items made out of glass. No fun toys, no jewelry, no statuettes, ceramic, utensils, etc.

The way it should be:

1. Bottles should not break, they should just empty. Unless you use an explosion potion (which should be very deadly).
2. Players will not need 1000s of bottles anymore.
3. Glass blowing skill is still useful, but now - not the failure rate should motivate crafters - but the wide variety of offered items. Clever pretty toys, mirrors, jewelry, many sorts of cups, glasses, statuettes, goblets, etc.
4. Potion bottles should be a high end item for high-skilled glassblowers. Only master-glassblowers should produce bottles. This will:

---a.) motivate glassblowers to GM the skill
---b.) prevent massive overproduction of bottles by skilling newbs

5. Glassblowers will become RP-members of society because they will make various different goods.
6. A good variety of items should be available to glassblowers for making. Like 30-40. To make the skill useful. It shoul become a fun skill, worthy of dedicating a character to.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i searched for this a few times, and if i missed someone saying this, sorry

Can only crafters smith??? I finally got all the tools and i cant make anything, so i thought if my made alot of ingots then i'd learn something, ive made about 200 and still cant smith anything
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Salathe wrote:Can only crafters smith?
Answer is: no.

The craftsman/magician/fighter decision just gives you some advantage in starting, there is no flag or class that marks your char as a char who has made this decision. Illarion is class-free ;-)
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/sys ... asses.html

Above is a link to an essay by the brilliant John H. Kim on class and template mechanics for RPG system design. This clearly shows that the choice of magician, craftsman, or fighter that one recieves upon entering the game is a template, rather than class choice, because it only effects you during creation of the character.

However, Illarion does have a small class system tacked onto it as far as the magic system goes, but this only limits you on what magics you can learn thereafter. This, I suppose, is minimal as compared to some games.

Aegohl
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Metal: Use the ore with an anvil and hold a hammer in your hand. Dependend on the ingot you made, you can smith different items: Either armor or blades/hammer heads/axe blades...
i do this and have no option to smith anything
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think thats a typo. I think he means use the "ingot" or "hammer".
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i've have tried it with both an ignot and ore does not work. I use the ignot on an anvil with a hammer in my hand i get the boxes, but no options.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Hmm...maybe try HAMMER on anvil?
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

when i do that, i get the option to make a hammer, but first i need to smith a hammerhead to stick onto a handle. And i dont believe sticking heads on a handle is blacksmithing
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

you know, this conversation is great and all, but how the hell do you plant cabbages -.-
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

You dont...at the moment farming isnt working.
Though I think if you leave seeds on a grass tile they plant themselves.
Full farming has not been implemented/fixed as yet.
As a general rule ..if it doesnt work...its broke..... :)
If its broke...check flyspray to see if its reported. If it is leave a comment, if not report it there.

The staff dont have time to check every "error/bug" related thread for new bugs. Put everything on flyspray and it will get worked on eventually.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Leatherworking appears to work fine, if you can figure out how to do it. I just need some thread to be 100% on this.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I have some inners. But it seems there is a bug, so I can't make inners to thread.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Any one had any luck mineing gems yet ? Apparently it is working :)
With luck we will see an update to this how to thread soon.
Brian