Varying item quality (displayed)

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

ezo
Location: Jolly old England. Toodle-pip Heavens above! How smashing!!

Varying item quality (displayed)

Post by ezo »

To start with I am unsure if it is or is not currently implemented that if someone skilled at a certain craft creates an item, this item is better than one made by someone less experienced.

Disclaimers aside, what I propose is that when clicking on an item a message like "You can tell that this axe handle is poorly made" or "This sword looks as though it would break easily" is displayed. Also it would be good if a rough estimation of how near something is to breaking point got given, to prevent people selling near broken items as new.
Mimblethorp

Post by Mimblethorp »

I like the idea, I would also like to see a damage status message. Since items are now wearing gradually over time, it would sure be nice to see what kind of condition the item is in. Messages like, 'This tool is so new you can see your reflection in it.' or 'This tool looks well loved' or my favorite, 'You want to use this thing? What? Do you have a death wish or something?'
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

:lol: @ Mimblethorp's item comments!

I like this, and it doesn't have to get too complicated, either.
I'd say 3 states for the quality, 3 states for the durability (item HP).

Quality:
• This <itemname> looks like the product of poor craftsmanship.
• This <itemname> looks like the product of decent craftsmanship.
• This <itemname> looks like the product of outstanding craftsmanship.

Durability:
• This <itemname> looks like it's about to fall apart.
• This <itemname> looks like it's in fairly good condition.
• This <itemname> looks like new.

As for how to trigger examining items... you could add a new item (crafted by glassblowers), a "magnifying glass" (German: "eine Lupe").
Shift-click magnifying glass + item, you get feedback on the Quality and Durability.

The three levels would reflect on rough values, like
• >0%
• >40%
• >80%
martin

Post by martin »

We plan something like that and we even don't need glasses for it.
It's just a matter of scripts being written, which costs a lot of time actually (because there is so much to do...).
There are more important things now (getting all the craft things to work), but as soon as this is finished, we will start with these things. That is also valid for the time thing mentioned in the other thread -- it will actually be possible to tell the illarion-time very soon (well, in principle it is possible right now, but guess what, the script needs to be written ;) ).

Is there a link to a site telling me which month has which name?

Martin
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Rackere Diplomatre

Post by Rackere Diplomatre »

- Aragon is right. Post deleted. ;) -
Last edited by Rackere Diplomatre on Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

@ Rackere:

What's wrong? Aegohl answered correct the last question of martin above.