<my character>@illarion.org email address

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Naybet Grint

<my character>@illarion.org email address

Post by Naybet Grint »

I don't know how feasible it is for you to set up, but I suspect there are people here that would be willing to pay good money (to cover the costs of setting it up) for the email address: <their_characters_name>@illarion.org.

I for one don't like giving my email address in public forum profiles, but would happily make <Naybet_Grint>@illarion.org publicly available if I had it. Of course there are the various technical issues in how you handle mail to be addressed for such a thing to be usable by the players.

No idea if it sucks, but its a proposal, so I thought I'd propose it.
Byron

Post by Byron »

ok. An avarage email plan from a host cost.. 27.99 a year for 200 email adressses. look at your number. What is it? 70,000+?

X
--------
--------
$11,200 p. year?

How could colledge students afford this ontop of their debts and hosting the game itself?
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

70,000+? WAY off. For one thing, many of us have several characters. Many of these people don't play any more. Others wouldn't want an E-mail address from Illarion. Lastly, people would PAY. PAY. They are not paying to give us new E-mail addresses for free, we are paying them.
Byron

Post by Byron »

oooh... In that case bout 3 dollars a year sounds like a good investment.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Whyyyyy in the Begeexas would you pay for an e-mail address @illarion.org when you can simply create character e-mail addresses at free and reliable places everywhere?

First of all, we hardly have enough contributions to get Illarion a new server. And heaven knows that's of primary concern, if Illarion *ever* came with a price. If most of us are around college-aged players who might or might not have jobs, and who probably have very little anyway, I don't think most of us could afford even a small monthly cost.

Then, as Dónal said, there are *countless* characters belonging to at least over one hundred somewhat to very active players. I think very few of these players would get Illarion e-mails for several of their characters, and even less so, pay for them all.

It seems much more reasonable to just find a Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. e-mail address for your forum accounts (since I believe you need a different e-mail for every forum account.) You might say, well, it's different having a char's forum account than having a char's e-mail alone. But really, if your character is open enough to contact by e-mail, I don't see why there shouldn't be a forum account opened for it anyway.

So that's my ranting on it, enough. Though I do suppose it would be a way for poor Illarion to get some income besides what comes directly from the pockets of the GM's. Poor GM's.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

I would pay $5 a month. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 bucks...that's better than wasting my money on something i don't need. Take for instance me quitting smoking. I have MUCH more money now. Just a few less candy bars a month, 2 packs of cigs, couple bags of chips...Come on guys, I would be willing to pay 5 dollars for an Arcia@illarion.org account :D

My support *thumbs up*
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Kranek@illarion.org

hm, sounds good. I would pay, too.
Naybet Grint

Post by Naybet Grint »

Delakaniam wrote:Though I do suppose it would be a way for poor Illarion to get some income besides what comes directly from the pockets of the GM's
That is a major part of the idea. Sure you can get a free email account, but people like status symbols, and if it is easy for the GMs to implement, and raises cash for the server, its possibly a good thing. But as I said initially, I have no idea if it is a feasible amount of work or not.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

I don't really see this happening. Not being a killjoy, but I don't want it to happen. All of the GMs and various members of the creative team, have @illarion.org e-mail addresses. If these addys were sold to other players, it would become difficult to distinguish a member of staff from an ordinary player, especially for newcomers to the game. This could result in viruses and the like being sent to players, under the pretense that the @illarion.org e-mail address is safe.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

mmm not a chance...
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

What is with you people? First talking about banner ads to give us money, and now you want to pay us for e-mail addresses? You really do love us. Rent's on the players, ladies and gentlemen. :wink:

Aegohl
Byron

Post by Byron »

Eep. Some of us are poor!

DOnt do all dis!!

Put this on the front page:
"were poor!"
"Keep us alive"
"donate Pay-Pal"

The end!
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Or don't and just leave everything the way it is because its already good.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

CORRECTION, everything WAS good...now Arcia looks like a human! BAH!
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I meant the web page dear, not the game. You think I like Quin having a hole in her skirt? Try again. And she definitely doesn't have short plonde hair like that.
Delakaniam

Post by Delakaniam »

Lord Arcia wrote:CORRECTION, everything WAS good...now Arcia looks like a human! BAH!
As in comparison to what??

And how would you all like it if you poured forth hard effort, creativity, and consideration into making new graphics, such as character graphics, and received nothing else than "Geez, the graphics are retrograding" from the people who you did this for?

At least point put in good criticism for each piece of negative criticism.

And isn't it at least good that the humans and elves are still quite distinguishable?
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

The only thing of critisism is the hole in the elfess pants. Though maybe the very degraded perverts that play this game(and yes Hermie, I'm thinking of you*gg*)find it kinky.
But beside that, I enjoy the new graphics.
Kidarien Rysdale

Post by Kidarien Rysdale »

If you did make emails for everyone you could simply make the gms one have a certain character or phrase like GMblahblah@illarion.org.
Conscience

Post by Conscience »

And how would you all like it if you poured forth hard effort, creativity, and consideration into making new graphics, such as character graphics, and received nothing else than "Geez, the graphics are retrograding" from the people who you did this for?

And isn't it at least good that the humans and elves are still quite distinguishable?
So basically you are lecturing people on how to lavish fake praise and tell lies. I commend you for your superb bootlicking.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Conscience wrote:

So basically you are lecturing people on how to lavish fake praise and tell lies. I commend you for your superb bootlicking.
Maybe she really means it Mister Conscience? I, for one, do.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Conscience, she never said praise them. She just said don't be such a whiny little bitch about it. Now go troll elsewhere, there's a good little boy.

Good criticism does not equal lavishing praise. It means pointing out a way in which something could be improved. Bad criticism however is something along the lines of "OMG teh graphics are teh suXXor!"
Delakaniam

Post by Delakaniam »

If I ever, in a day of full-moon madness, might say, "Oh, Conscience. That's a good point, and put well in words." ......

Pray tell if then I might be lavishly licking your flipping boots.

And it's not as if the GM's haven't done well in much of what they put forth. But alas, perhaps in your traipsing about of the boards, you may have passed these by and failed to take notice. Pity.
Last edited by Delakaniam on Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

MastaOvaKill@illarion.org and B00tylvr@illarion.org tee hee hee

That would crack me up.

I like the site the way it is, we all have our own email, why do we need more? PMs are like email! Just start PMing!!!!!
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Misjbar wrote:The only thing of critisism is the hole in the elfess pants. Though maybe the very degraded perverts that play this game(and yes Hermie, I'm thinking of you*gg*)find it kinky.
But beside that, I enjoy the new graphics.
*zips his pants up*

How dare you insinuate!?

*walks away and unzips his pants*
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Or perhaps the GMs really have nothing to do with how the elves look, or how anything looks for that matter. Perhaps you speak of the developers?

Aegohl