Run command

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Irania

Run command

Post by Irania »

I think it would be an interesting command. Though the though arises that instead of walking plays will always have their character running. Yet if you really like to rp and don't just play to level (and hopefully you don't!) you would use the command not just to get from here to there quicker but becuase it adds to the rp situation at hand. Maybe the command cannot be used if the player is encumbered?
Gurik Elvenstar

Post by Gurik Elvenstar »

i like it but it would be abused like crazy
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Each tile you run is like harvesting 1 herb? Running would definately HAVE to tax stamina, otherwise it would defeat the point of having something faster than walking.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Although it sounds good, I don't really like this proposal.

People would be running back and forth to dig coal, cut down trees, killing pigs, et cetera. And that would be absolute nonsense...who the heck runs when they're performing strenuous labor? I don't have enough faith in the average player to say that it would not be abused solely for skill gaining.

If it were to be implemented however, it should reduce stamina (the red bar on the right, it's not 'health' it's 'stamina' damn it! :P ). If you're, say, below 11% of your stamina, the game would force you to stop running so as not to give yourself a heart attack.

Some of you are probably wondering, "I thought that red bar was health?"

I think of it as endurance/stamina. In battle, endurance is lost, and whoever turns into a cloud is wounded NOT dead. Character death is up to the player, most beings can't die multiple times.

If you're too whipped from running, and a monster catches you in the wilderness, guess what? You don't have the stamina to defend yourself anyway, so you deserve to be wounded.
Miraci Ruhn

Post by Miraci Ruhn »

People could possibly have running "skill" (more like endurance). The more they run, the more their endurance goes up (takes a long time) and the longer they can run and/or can run with heavier things. Things like armor could also influence how one ran due to how it prevents flexibility.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I think people with armor such as metal shouldnt be able to run at all. This would put light and cool sounding armor like hunting armor useful and not just something you like to wear but never in battle. Hunting armor would be light and you would run with little stamina added.
This would help balance heavy clunky knights with quick and little wieghed down archers.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. It would make it a bit more realistic if you think about it. If you're wearing full plate you shouldn't be able to run as fast as oh lets say...as was stated above, an archer in hunting armour.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Wouldnt that be a pure balancing horror ?
I imagine the archers fireing thier arrows/bolts, run a few squares, stop to fire, run a few squares, ect.
That would render thier downside, being weak in close combat, practicly non-existant, because they could evade every close combat.
Same would count for mages.

Running is a neat feature, but I cant think of a system that makes it fair for everyone and everykind of character without giving huge advantages to a single side.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

No, knights should be able to run too, just with greater stamina loss. Medieval knights would charge when close enough, but for the range between marching and charging, they would have shields. Shields are excellent protection against arrows fyi, except that we have so few archers in Illarion it is usually discarded in place of the more powerful two handed weapons.