Orcs coming into town

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nilo

Orcs coming into town

Post by Nilo »

I know that orcs are not very smart, and are annoying, and love to fight, but I don't think that orcs should continue to resist after they've lost a battle.

Some orcs who get themselves banned for causing trouble in town and such, continue to come into town. They are banned of course, and the town guard works tirelessly to keep them out of the town.

I don't think its very good roleplay of the orcs though to continue to resist, after many fights. If they lose a fight, I think that they should leave town, at least for a day, and quit their annoying attempts to come into town.

And, if the orc is killed, I dont think its very good roleplay to continue to fight, or to keep trying to run away, or not go outside. If you die, I think that you should leave without the guard having to push you all the way to the gates.

I dont have a problem really with them trying to come into town, but when they pick fights with guards when they say they don't want to fight, it gets obnoxious and makes little sense.

Just a thought, but maybe the orcs could not try to come into town every day... and always try to pick fights with the same people. :?
Lorck
Location: Walking through the north waiting for the pecice moment to strike

Post by Lorck »

Most orc that continually come into town and fight the same guards have reasons to do so, may it be orcish pride or whatever the reason, most still RP it well. In terms of after they have been sent to the cross and come right back fight, that is not right. But to wander into town twice a day is no bad things, some may over do it, like i have seen one orc go into town like 10 times in one day. My chars record for going into town while banned was just 4 times. Besides orc are ment to make trouble and fight and such, its there nature.
Galim

Post by Galim »

even an orc will take some time before he comes back, especially after he was sent to cross. because he needs time to heal and become ok again. every day is too much, really. and it is not fun, because soon it starts to be annyoing. it stops others to have other roleplay than the trouble with orcs. maybe for orcs it is normal to come every day and fith, but other characters and races have jobs, and a living, and if an orc comes every day or twice a day that orcplayer takes the other players the possibility to roleplay something other than "orc-trouble". by the side, many players don't like it to roleplay troubles and fithts, and when, than just in little amounts.

perhaps you should play second characters for the time the orc needs a break before he comes next.
Umboka Trobarck

Post by Umboka Trobarck »

What is sad is the approach the Guards, Durin in question.....takes on this matter. You guards have an opportunity to have some damn great RP!

Each grab daggers and run about having a nice long fight with lots of RP and lots of interaction. Enjoy the position you have by having great RP!. But no... This is the extent of the RP :

Someone (64***): Boka
Someone (64***): Leave righ' now.

And if Boka don't leave...she gets killed. But whether you like it or not Durin...until a depot appears outside the wall...i will return in town to use one.

Not A-HA! what are you doing here! Your not allowed here!! I have told you before! I will have you in irons!

Nothing! Just get the hell out or i will bash you to hell with this axe, and make a ghost out of you and feel better about myself because my pixels can do this to you.

Anyway, if the Guard maybe planned a bit of excitement with the people they ban this whole ban/guard conflict could be fun.

But no...Durin and Galim...Trollsbanes finest Guards...kicked us out, so they stood in there and RPed with themselves and we went away and Rped with our group...instead of one great ingame RP.

Anyway, all the best to the guard with there new found treasure, as many have seen he brings much to the table to help the guard/banned people relationship......not....

And oh ya....Boka was banned for calling a dwarf "Stumpie"...my god a week ban for name-calling! She dare not piss in the street, that might be death!

Too funny! Fooser, I shall keep your old space across the river warm.

xoxoxox
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

Jeremy will keep you company.....when he returns!
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I have to vouch for boka, she is quite hilarious. Cursing in public in medival times by commoners a bannable offense? THE GENERAL POPULATION OF THE TOWN WOULD BE BANNED! Rediculous, utterly rediculous. I could see if nobles were insulted directly, like Tialdin being called a gold-grubbing forest destroyer or something. Urinating, even defacating in the streets would not be uncommon. Horses and other animals would have been doing it as well. I think some people a loosing the idea this is based in a medieval setting with swords, dragons, and people with bad teeth. :lol:
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

No one should be banned for ever only because he calls a dwarf "stumpy". I think it was only a "short ban" for a limited time of 1-2 days (but i dont really know the happen in this case).

To the general situation:

Take it easy and calm down.

It is a fact, that ingame both sides stay for their meaning. The orcs try to trick the guards and do what they want and the guards try to defeat them - without a real end.

But i think this situation is normal. We could only change it if our chars find a ig-soulution.

If anyone (of both sides) is defeated (I think"killed" is the wrong word) for one time, he should be calm down and leave the place of the acting. He get a new chance at another time.
Galim

Post by Galim »

But no...Durin and Galim...Trollsbanes finest Guards...kicked us out, so they stood in there and RPed with themselves and we went away and Rped with our group...instead of one great ingame RP.
first, Galim is no guard, he came around and saw that Durin had problems at the gate, so he offered help.

second, i did roleplay, i don't shouted "boka go or die". that is what happened when i arrived:
Durin Goldtooth: Ah Galim
Galim: Greetings Durin
Durin Goldtooth: Greetin's
Durin Goldtooth: Boka be here
Durin Goldtooth: and Lorck..
Galim: Boka?
Galim: Hmm
Durin Goldtooth: aye
Someone (53***): come
! Boka (s): i have left Durin! and i was never told i was banned
Durin Goldtooth: but Boka left peacefully
Chak' Ysshirr: Don't do anything ssstupid...
Galim: Ya was Boka
Durin Goldtooth: hm
! Boka: Whatever
Galim: I heard it
Someone (53***): goldtooth!
Durin Goldtooth: i will take a day off from bokas sentence because she left peacefully.
Galim: so follow the word of the guard
! Boka (s): why not you all go to bed...so we can have fun
Chak' Ysshirr: Orc... don't do anything ssstupid...
! Boka: You all bore us with your GET OUT speeeches
Durin Goldtooth: hmm
Someone (53***): Out of way, I wonty
Galim: Follow the townrules boka
Durin Goldtooth: hm
Someone (53***): wont*
Galim: And in a week ya can come in again
Someone (71***): how long since you are able to go back to town, boka?
Durin Goldtooth smiles.
Durin Goldtooth: 6 days now
Durin Goldtooth: i believe
Galim leans on his staff.
! Boka: Let them enjoy there own company.....let us go to bloodskull cave...there is a depot there..enjoy ther etime alone
! Boka: common all
Durin Goldtooth: hmm
Galim: Thanks
Someone (53***): yub
Durin Goldtooth: shes not a bloodskll is she?
Someone (s):welcome..have fun
Galim: No
As you can see, i stay calm, and tried rp. i talked with you, but i got NO response from you, no single word you talked to me. i tried to roleplay, so don't say i wouldn't.

and for that "stumpie" thing, it was not just that. you and that other orc came, started to call us stumpie, smallers, fool folg, little idiots and so on. you insulted us dwarves, and our race, and for galim you insulted irmoroms work with that. the orc beside you mentioned he could kill me, but he don't want because of that x-mas-dwarf, and so on. you two caused alot of trouble, it was much moire than just a "stumpie". over and over you threw insults against us, so you two got banned for 1 day. but than, you started to refuse to follow the command of the guard. you stayed inside, and it needed a long time to throw you out, and in that conflict boka got a one week ban.

that is what happened.[/i]
Gwynnether

Post by Gwynnether »

well, ...

My opinion in this matter...

I have no problems with the orcs or other banned people when they are trying to enter the town.
Sure it's annoying. Ever and ever the same again.
But I have problem with that, when it comes to a fight, the other one has to go to the cross, and he don't stop entering town at least for one day though.
Maybe even go on with provoking. That's crappy RP.
Your Char has feelings and has wounds. Play it.

You guards have an opportunity to have some damn great RP!
uh. I'm sorry,... but... no.

I already had great RP as a town guard with a lot of enemys.
but not this... annoying neverendless entering-town-stories.

Honestly, that is why I hate this town guard job.
It's always the same.
PersonA enters town. TownguardA says he has to leave.
PersonA refuses. TownguardA gives maybe three warnings.
PersonA still refuses. TownguardA attackes.
Next day, the same story.

wow, very exciting.

After a while, you don't even give three warnings anymore, 'cause it's getting ridiculous.
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Orcs attacking gaurds always turns into crappy RP. Never really any fun.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Boka I was there. He didn't ban you for calling him 'stumpie.' If i remember you were banned from causing a large disruptance at the christmas dwarf thingy. I think it was only one day then...but you continued to disrupt life

Anyway Im not saying that Boka can't roleplay, because I think its hilarious whenever shes around. But if I had to role play a guard, i'd have to be strict and follow the laws...

And they really don't get a great chance to role play when orcs are coming in. maybe if you organized a great battle with the guards or something....

I dont mean an ambush mind you , i mean a nice big battle with many orcs, and maybe even some NPC orcs.

That would be fun to roleplay.

@Gro'bul: LOl you mentioned Tialidn. She did call him an 'Old Stumpie' just the other day...I believe the guard let that one go though, as they let many go. :wink:

Well maybe not as many orcs will try to come in in the future...
Regards,
PO Nilo
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

What is sad is the approach the Guards, Durin in question.....takes on this matter. You guards have an opportunity to have some damn great RP!
Alternatively what is sad is that you do not realise you too are in a position for good RP, but instead you waste it by constantly harrasing the town guard. You are banned from town, why not use some imagination and find something else to do whilst banned from town?
Gwynnether

Post by Gwynnether »

I dont mean an ambush mind you , i mean a nice big battle with many orcs, and maybe even some NPC orcs.

That would be fun to roleplay.

no! attackings are boring *g*

*slash slash slash* ready.
where is roleplay there?
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Nah its more like:

#me kicks the orc in the face. #me swings his sword and hits the orc's head. #me stabs the orc.

hehe
Kaja Wolfagen

Post by Kaja Wolfagen »

If people ever ventured out of town maybe the orcs would not have to venture in town for roleplay interaction ;)

If an orc does an act out of town, the guard usually leave town to hunt them down in anycase.

So my orc playing friends, do what you feel like.
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Just a thought, but maybe the Guards could find less aggressive ways of dealing with incidents. Maybe try talking out situations rather than resorting to banning. Which is ineffective and just provokes the situation. IF the offender is a good RPer (which we are all supposed to be!) they will play along with the Guard. In the instance with Boka the Guard could have tried talking to them politely and asking them to stop. Rather than telling them to stop and threatening to ban them. Or got someone who was a friend of Boka to talk to her. Resolve the situation peacefully, after all, from the sounds of it the orcs were just "having fun"! Arent 'police' trained to stay calm? Try to keep things friendly and sort things out? Not go jumping in with both feet straight away?
On the other side people should remember that just because your character doesnt "die" doesnt mean they dont feel pain. It hurts to get hit and most characters, even orcs, wouldnt like getting hurt. And if they are sent to the cross they should take time to recover, not go rushing back into the fight, or to retrieve their gear. Maybe some sort of delay could/should be implemented. So if a character is killed they are unable to move away from the cross for a short time. Or maybe automatically logged-off and unable to log back on for a while. I know there are downsides to this. But if you cant rely on people to RP honestly then maybe something needs to be implemented.
Athian

Post by Athian »

I think im going to have to agree with some of the points. Banning people is an ingame ability that is roleplayed. in all honesty, any character banned or not can pretty much walk the town how they please, rp interaction detrimes how the situation is then handled. so if an orc or other banned player wants to enter town asking in a ooc manner for them to stop entering town is basically interfereing in the way they choose to play the game and if your not a GM i don't think anyone here has the authority to do that.
As to waht Arist and Boka said, until theres an easily acessable Depot and shop outside of the town of trolls bane everyone will continue to come there. case and point, how man halfings spend 2/3 of there play time in Greenbriar? okay now how amny players in general. nt many right. theres a reason for that one would think. interaction and game economy seem to go hand in hand so i guess.
Gwynnether

Post by Gwynnether »

Jeremy, we are talking about orcs.
Why should they discuss in a politely way?

I'm not the guard who attacks the outlaws immediately (Trystan excepted ;) ).
I always try to get them out another way...
But what shall a guard do when they warn the people more than THREE times and they still threatens and insults others?
Shall I kneel infront of them and kiss their feet that they PLEASE leave the town?
Nikago Fyrstyn

Post by Nikago Fyrstyn »

YOu just need some guards that kick the asses of the enemy's instead of talking uhmm nika is curretly unenployed whats the payment of the guards :D .
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Haha I think its volunteer work.. :wink:

Anyway you can't ask uncivilized orcs politely to quit what they are doing.

For one thing, they forget they did it about 5 seconds later :P hahaha

Anyway It is SOOO annoying to have the same orcs trying to come into town day after day after day.

If your banned, just play other characters, or stay across the river. I don't really think its all that great rp to keep coming into town; not every day at least.
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

Blech. That staying across the river business can get annoying as hell.
If your banned stay away from the town. Conceivably, the river bandits can be shot at and so forth by the guard etc and vice versa.

Yet they don't. The banned people stay on their one side of the river and pass comments to the townsfolk. This is ridiculous. They should stay away from the town that they supposedly loathe.

Meh.

Yours incoherently,
Brendan
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Gro'bul wrote:I have to vouch for boka, she is quite hilarious. Cursing in public in medival times by commoners a bannable offense? THE GENERAL POPULATION OF THE TOWN WOULD BE BANNED! Rediculous, utterly rediculous. I could see if nobles were insulted directly, like Tialdin being called a gold-grubbing forest destroyer or something. Urinating, even defacating in the streets would not be uncommon. Horses and other animals would have been doing it as well. I think some people a loosing the idea this is based in a medieval setting with swords, dragons, and people with bad teeth. :lol:
Good points.

I detest players having their characters influenced by their own liberal, politically correct, year 2004, ways of thinking. And this is an issue that has been going on in Illarion for a while now.

They also impose their own logic on their characters. Pardon? In the middle ages, didn't people believe in wierd rituals, and weren't they bigoted and frightened of what was different?

Oh yeah...and again, medievil times. You'd be impaled in the gut with a sword for stealing an apple, lying, or insulting important people. I feel guards should take it upon themselves to have (at least) a 50% increase of kick-ass-ity.
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Gwynn, dont take my comments personally. I wasnt suggesting you let people walk all over you. You are complaining about lack of RP in a situation....so why not try something different. Good RPers should play along. Not all orcs are uncivilised. Some will act in response to the way they are treated. Boka is one such character.
In my opinion players should play their character as if they WONT come back if they are killed. Rather than not caring about being killed because you know you will come back. Being killed should be treated as a bad experience and RPd as such. Therefore something to be avoided if at all possible.
Also players should assume there is an NPC population (including Guards) in the town at all times. There should be people in Trollsbane other than just the PCs. So just because there is no PC guard about shouldnt mean the town is undefended. Players should RP accordingly.
Yes this is a medieval setting....but there are some BIG differences. Like orcs, elves, dwarves, hobbits, lizardmen. Mages casting fireballs, magic potions. Ogres, Trolls, Demons. Skeletons, Mummies. Plus the Guards had one big advantage in medieval times. If they killed someone they stayed dead. Quite a deterrent. One which is missing in Illarion.
Gwynnether

Post by Gwynnether »

I don't take it personally.
But give me an example, Jeremy. Or quite better: make a Town guard char and show me *gg*
I'm always ready to learn something.

yes, yes the medieval times.
Reminds me what the people wrote as Nikagor should be executed.
A villain attacked a councilwoman. Young and old would meet at the square where the person should burn on a stake or got hanged in medieval times. It was always fun and a sensation.
hehe, and we got complainings.
But well, I play Gwynnether myself not that brute.
She has no problems with executions, as long as they aren't public *g*

I feel guards should take it upon themselves to have (at least) a 50% increase of kick-ass-ity.
haha, thank you *g*
I will remember that ^ ^
I'm not the person who likes attacks and fightings. Neither with monsters nor with players.
I don't like sending people to the cross. If I could I would avoid the strg-button anyway *g*

I love to RP, but above all I have to play my char strictly.
and that includes fightings.
and that includes that she isn't the one who let herself being insulted or talking with a necromancer who is responsible for the deaths of many.

Gwynnethers problem are those "contentions" on the street.
She is a warrior and she loves the good fight. but not the annoying people that aren't able to follow their ban, though they could come into town some days later anyway!
She has no enemy who is worth that she draws her sword. She misses Vakhos *g*

The day before yesterday Gwynnether was sent to the cross by Trystan. bah , and it was sooooo fun :D
It was so great to roleplay.
Lorck

Post by Lorck »

Let me just say mabey one thing, or two :wink:

When you say the people should follow thier bann and just leave town and not return to it untill thier bann is up, thats just a request that not many (mostly orcs) would abide by. The orc chars live by thier own set of rules and such, so there for they most likely will return to the town, if not for Rp then to use the things inside it. I understand your frustration when one is sent to the cross then comes back in that same day again, now that is not good Rp at all, or if one still provokes after that. But NOt all orcs are civilized and have patience, so when a guard tells an orc "Leave town now!" or something along those lines an orc may not leave, most of the time they become violent. And yes this is a medievil time period, and yes there are more monsters and such, but in my mind the views of medievil times should remain the same (with a slight change here or there). And as for the Vinvisable guards, that to me is just posh, you cant Rp with something that is not there to Rp back, for example, you cant just say you have an army, you actually need one. And you will most likely say "Well if He/she is a good Rper they can make up a situation with one of these invisable guards." In some sence that is true, but in a situation like that, the person Rping with the so called "invisable guards" can do what ever they please....I mean no one is there to tell them they cant do that. I myself can Rp that there are invisable guards, but for the Rper there is usually no fun in that.

And the part about orcs entering the town everyday.....Whats the big deal, i can understand people whining when they enter mabey 2-5 times, and when you say it gets annoying because your players have work to do and such. Why would the orcs care? I mean the orcs dont follow your plans, If you are not a guard and you dont want your work to be interupted then simply go about it, and stear clear of the orcs and other such banned folk. But if you are a guard you have no choice, am I correct? A guard must deal with the banned people because they are guards, but when guards say(or should I say the players of the guards) "This get really annoying, they come in to much, we cant deal with all of them all the time" or "There is no Rp in it" , I say to the first statement, orcs and the banned people usually dont care, to the second statement, There is Rp in it, lots if you play it right, just because the guards and towns folks lives are dissrupted, im sorry but from looking through my Chars eyes, why should he care one bit?

Thats my stand point argue with it, agree with it, do what ever you wish, just consider it.

PO: Lorck
Umboka Trobarck

Post by Umboka Trobarck »

Nilo wrote:If your banned, just play other characters

Come now Durin, are you God? Your bans and your personal reasons for them should affect ones ability to even play the game??

And how i do love that the Online List is broken...it's like christmas everyday..never knowing who you will bump into while hob-knobbing round the mill!

Anyway,

The Boka ban is Over! GAME ON! :P
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

YAYYY!...welcome back Boka.....wish I could be there to welcome you....
Lorck...I didnt say, nor did I mean, that you should actively interract with the 'invisible' NPCs. Standing by the well talking to no-one will soon have the Magenta Troll followers coming to take you away! I meant that banned characters should not just stroll into town without a care. There would be guards there who would deal with them...especially if the bannee is alone. So RP the situation and sneak into town. Avoid people as much as possible. If you are going to break a ban go into town and out quick. Dont hang around chatting or trying to bully people. The guard would soon be called and cart you off.
Obviously this cant happen IG...but it SHOULD happen. So RP it! Just because this is a graphical game doesnt mean you dont need to use your imagination.
Lorck

Post by Lorck »

I understand what you are trying to say Jeremy, I could Rp it, yet others may not....let me explain. With the invissable guards the rper can do anything, ANYTHING, like he/she could kill them all, because he/she thinks they are very strong. And without real players to stop them, there is nothing to do so. You see that, its easy to RP with the invissable guards if you have the time and patience, but if you dont the RPer will just casually walk into the gate as you said. And some orcs and bannes dont sneak around, its not thier style :wink:
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Umboka Trobarck wrote: Come now Durin, are you God? Your bans and your personal reasons for them should affect ones ability to even play the game??
Could you rephrase that? I'm not quite sure what you meant.

Are you saying that my personal reasons affect my roleplay? Because they don't. I don't even know you. Why would that influence the way I role play?? It wouldn't affect the way i play the game.

Do you think that if an orc came into a midevil town, that the guards would even let them in?!

Illarion is a bit different, we tolerate it. But the guards wouldn't tolerate an orc standing in the street yelling, and causing trouble. They most certainly wouldn't stand it if you yelled at them and insulted them, much less attacked them in town.
And how i do love that the Online List is broken...it's like christmas everyday..never knowing who you will bump into while hob-knobbing round the mill!
I agree I like it. Its back up now though...