Dyluck's "Old School RPG" Of Illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Avaloner

Post by Avaloner »

Hey that pig...hmm remembers me ...uhh..yeah breath of fire two i think..littel thief ;P.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

So yeah I've been busy these last couple of days, but I haven't died yet and I'm still working hard on my game. I've completed about 3 "dungeons" and incorporated 4 playable characters so far. I know that doesn't sound like much but it was a lot harder than it sounds, especially trying to find the right balance of moster power/exp/gold with character growth/equipment available throughout the progress of the game. Lot of trial and error needed. I still need help with orc background problem if anyone can help, or if anyone knows how to make a decent lizard/orc battle char set.

Translations for the RPGmaker2003's functions weren't that great either, so it isn't always obvious how to do certain things. I'll probably keep the game system relatively simple, something like in the FF4 era of games. I'm going to try to use only graphics/music provided by the program's library itself, just to keep a consistent design and save myself some selection time from the vast resources available out there.

We'll that's all for now. I'd love to tell more about my game, but I don't really want to spoil the plotline, even though it's pretty much a retelling and tieing together of stories that happened in Illarion. I guess I'll need a name for it too.... maybe Legends of Illarion.
Gurik Elvenstar

Post by Gurik Elvenstar »

it sounds great :) keep up the good work!!
ezo
Location: Jolly old England. Toodle-pip Heavens above! How smashing!!

Post by ezo »

Here is what you wanted Dyluck (i think)

http://image.hostcubix.com/view.php?img=orcs.png

Good luck with the game :wink:

Ezorock
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

Roke, in an adventure? A historical inaccuracy! It's quite clear that Roke was always too occupied with accusing Astral of robbing him, or leaping into flames after losing his magical prowess. Mind you, the loss of his magical prowess was the same thing that indeed saved him from those forementioned flames... but I digress.
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

Korwin, you lurker! any chance you'll be back?
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

Afraid I won't be. I've been showing up here and there over the past year, and probably will continue to do so, but I doubt I'll ever fully "come back".
Mishrack

Post by Mishrack »

bah. at least you could 'pretend' to still be active...
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

The orc set works perfectly ezo, thank you.

If anyone wants to help me make a lizard char set, it basically has to follow the same template as the pig, the same size, split into 12 boxes of the same size in 4 rows of 3, each row with 3 frames for each respective direction the character faces, and in the same transparent background color. The orcs version is basically the same as the pig except that it has 8 sets in 1, which I think is the maximum. It should also have the same kind of "feel" as the orcs, kind of videogame cartoonish, not too realistic.

Well Korwin, the game where Roke is the main character takes place 20 years later so there can't exactly be a 'historical' inaccuracy about him. But I probably won't ever get around to that game, so don't be jealous. You'll have a fairly decent role in my first game anyways. :P

Speaking of historical inaccuracies, I guess I should mention that my game isn't going to be able to incorporate every character and event with full accuracy, just because I can't remember/know every detail, and it makes the game's plotline run more smoothly. The timelines of events/character appearance might be just a little off and some characters whose actual story/role didn't quite fit into the game's plot/timeline and was better fit elsewhere, might get demoted to fill in some smaller potato role for the game. :lol:
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Well this is taking a lot more work and time than I first expected. I'd welcome any help, but then I don't really know how anyone can actually help me with anything besides graphics and music, but that's not what's taking a lot of work. Map design and event planning is what really requires a lot of thinking, planning, and creativity. Well if anyone is interested in helping me make a few maps in rm2k3, let me know. You'd have to know/learn how to use the program of course. I'm not actually sure if those map files can be simply transferred and opened by the program, so we might have to just see if it works.

As for development update, well let's just say that I'm up to 7 "playable" characters and still stuck working somewhere in the plotline of mid August 2001 and not going anywhere anytime soon.
Arkadia Misella

Post by Arkadia Misella »

I downloaded the program and fiddled with it and figured out a few things. Im not too sure if you could import any map into yours...the map part seems extremly constricting on how big you can make your game which is why I set it aside temporarily. I actually started making a Northerot map though. It went bye bye in an accident though, lol. If you figure out how to import anything like that I'll help ya, although I joined in early 03, so Im not too wise as to the old characters or storyline's from that time. And no, Im not going to go way back and read the forum topics from back then for hours on time. Im just not that dedicated.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

No, you can't "import" maps through regular functions. I was thinking more like manually copying a map out of a project folder and pasting it in another project folder.

Don't worry, you don't need to know about any story or plotlines. I just need a hand with a bit of location/map design. If you want to help, I'll send you a PM with further details.

Regarding map size, the maximum is 500x500, and you can place events on your map that teleport you to another map..... were you thinking of making an entire game on one single map?
Arkadia Misella

Okay...I knew about event transporting...but I did not know you could go from map to map/....I figured you were stuck there in that one map...thats why I said screw it, lol
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Funny, I had some trouble with moving events at first instead, while map teleport was just a matter of right clicking. Well you catch on quick enough at least. In the first few days I had to go through head banging, fist slaming, unmentionable profanities to figure out how to do the things I wanted to do, and there's still plenty that remains a mystery to me. I searched for beginner tutorials and all I could find were articles on how to make a good story and I was like, "I don't need this crap! Just teach me how to use the friggin program!", while punching and kicking things.
Arkadia Misella

Now now dear...It frustrates the hell out of me...and having a computer that is on the verge of an artery explosion doesnt help either...Im just not as violent as you is all, lol. I also make sure to take it all in moderation, lol.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Search for forums on it. They answered a bunch of questions
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Is that a new game? (Like illarion) Or just a game.. that will be done.. in.. Uhh? I'm confused.. HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!! :o
Galim

Post by Galim »

its a one single player rpg. like the old final fantasy games. or secret of mana, or, well, or everything before playstation ^^.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Ooooooooooooooooooh!! Kinda like Zelda?
And can someone read my post on the General forum ? subject : Oye Oye! I dont know why i choose that that topic.. I just know thats what they used to say in the Midle Age :lol:
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

It's more like a cross between my horrible game making ineficacies, early final fantasy like gameplay, with apparently breath of fire/lufia type graphics.... apparently. Contrary to popular belief I've never played a lufia game.

Anyways, for a little update, I'm done up to 12 playable characters in the storyline so far, and some fun mini-games! Hurrah!

Hmmm.... maybe I could use some ideas for a unique weapon class? I think I've exhausted the usual array of swords, axes, etc.
Arkadia Misella

Hey babe.......I worked a 17 hour day on Sunday and Im still recooperating seeing as my next day off will be Saturday...so my little contribution will be a tad bit on the tardy side.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Alright, I'm in a real bind this time. I'm going to need the help of a real genius. I've done an unthinkable horror. I've created a mini-game puzzle in my game that I can't even solve myself. After I first made it, I fiddled around with it for about 15 minutes trying to solve the puzzle by sheer random luck and somehow suddenly succeeded, became stunned, and had no recollection as to what steps I took, but at least I know it's solvable.

It's basically the kind of puzzle where you have some number of swtiches that all need to turned on, but each swtich you flick also specifically toggles certain other switch. Maybe there's some ingenius way to solve this puzzle mathematically? Well if anyone is interested in helping me solve this puzzle, just let me know.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

There must be some sort of patterns involved or else you've done somthing amazingly stupid, also what you need to do to solve this puzzle could be useful, if I get that I have a mathmatical genius of a friend who could solve any maths problem put to him.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Dyluck wrote:It's basically the kind of puzzle where you have some number of swtiches that all need to turned on, but each swtich you flick also specifically toggles certain other switch.
Well of course there's a pattern, visually even more so.

I couldn't quite make out what you're saying at the end, but a mathematical solution is just some suggestion I threw out there. I'm not sure if it's actually possible. I didn't have to actually use any real math in the coding of the puzzle. I was probably just thinking more like binary code or something like that might resemble the switch toggling, but again it's just a theory.

In other news, I'm going to release some early screenshots soon just to keep you all interested, so stay tuned! :D
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Joy! Here are some screenshots. It's still early though and there might be some changes in the final product.
Most of the graphics used come with the rpgmaker2003 rtp, and a few others off the internet, probably ripped off of some other rpgs.

http://www.geocities.com/first_impact/s ... eview.html

Well it's not much, but at least you kinda get the feel of what I'm making.
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

Hi Dyluck,

really nice screenshots, remembers me of the good old days.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Not too bad..... if it were for Gameboy :lol:

But hey, its not like I could make one near that good. (right now that is ;) )
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

What type of person makes a puzzle that he doesn't know how to solve, how did you put it in?
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Moathia wrote:What type of person makes a puzzle that he doesn't know how to solve, how did you put it in?
It took Erno Rubik an entire month to solve his own Rubik's Cube :) .
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

:shock: Wow, most people would have the solution to the puzzle and build thier puzzle around that, not the other way around.