I leave.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Well said martin..

Even if you are a balding old man and such, well said.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

So, how can we get more players?
Why did new players after the end of the AS leave again?
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

just wait!

we can not expect, that every player, who takes a look, will be in "love at first sight".
some will come, go away and come again, others will stay.
one can't force the coming of adequate players. one can only make it easy to come and try. (and that is been done allready)

edit.
(please don't flame now!)

illarion was a closed game. logically that gave a certain elitist feeling.

what is happening now, is something normal. some of the players feel decepted by loosing this elite standard.
some of those leave.
without wanting to be personal, i really think, that among those older players, who stay, will be a greater number of such, that will play and be patient with new players, than among those, who leave.
so, imho, the overall situation ingame can only go up.
(not withstanding, that it may need some time, to come near the mourned high quality of former times)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Korm Kormsen wrote:just wait!

we can not expect, that every player, who takes a look, will be in "love at first sight".
one can't force the coming of adequate players. one can only make it easy to come and try. (and that is been done allready)

edit.

what is happening now, is something normal. some of the players feel decepted by loosing this elite standard.
some of those leave.
without wanting to be personal, i really think, that among those older players, who stay, will be a greater number of such, that will play and be patient with new players, than among those, who leave.
(not withstanding, that it may need some time, to come near the mourned high quality of former times)
If n00b continue being taught by n00bs, the standards will become lower and lower until runescape.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Korm Kormsen wrote:just wait!

edit.

some of those leave.
Or, on the other hand, we could stop being squeamish nancy boys and talk over what needs to be talked over and come to conclusions.

However, I've been assured by the staff members that I know that some planning is in the works that I'm particularly very happy about, so no complaints from me currently. =)
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'd rather see 10 people onlyne, all of which who can RP

Then 30 people online, your character can have a heart attack in the middle of TB, and nobody so much looks at you....
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Well.. Nobody may care about your character. Not everyone is a compassionate gentleman, remember. :wink:
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

I think i stopped playing as much as i did due to dedications in real life..

Or was it because im a hate mongering noob eater..

One of the two, never could remember ;)
martin

Post by martin »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:I'd rather see 10 people onlyne, all of which who can RP

Then 30 people online, your character can have a heart attack in the middle of TB, and nobody so much looks at you....
This is perfectly okay for you and for a lot of people, but please don't assume that the same holds for us developers.
For us, it is frustrating and demotivating to have the game in state X with A players, spend 2 month of more-than-full-time-work improving it dramatically (from our point of view) and have it in state X' but still having exactly A players, some of which now complain about the improvements.

Still I feel that none realizes what incredible amount of work we spent for improving the game without any (positive) effect. This is what it is all about, so maybe you try to understand our point of view.

Martin
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

well, alex rose,
If n00b continue being taught by n00bs, the standards will become lower and lower until runescape.
i was writing about Newbies, not about n00bs.
if you don't find other teachers, may i help you?

:twisted: :lol: :wink: korm
Lahela

Post by Lahela »

martin wrote:Still I feel that none realizes what incredible amount of work we spent for improving the game without any (positive) effect. This is what it is all about, so maybe you try to understand our point of view.
Oh I guess many realize how much work it is but as a matter of fact the staff doesn't seem to want any help from the players. Now that is called frustration.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

but as a matter of fact the staff doesn't seem to want any help from the players.
i would like to help too.
but what could we do?
there are no boxes to be carried upstairs.

less we can allready programm fluently in "Lua" or make good enough graphics to start with, they loose more time, teaching us, than our help can repay.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Sound effects!

I only have so many resources and time alone. It can be easy to help, you dont even need costly mics (I have a 50 dollar one that has been through a whole lot). Even just ideas on how creating these sounds is helpful.

While its not the biggest, most effective part that will be seen ingame, help is still appreciated.
Rasteel Olin

Post by Rasteel Olin »

I can help with sound effects/music too.
I'm not a pro, but I can play some keyboard..
martin

Post by martin »

Korm Kormsen wrote:i would like to help too.
but what could we do?

less we can allready programm fluently in "Lua" or make good enough graphics to start with, they loose more time, teaching us, than our help can repay.
You exactly got the point.
Everything that could be done by (most) players is not really work. Designing a map or something, peanuts.

Describing how a NPC should react, well, maybe an hour. Making the Lua-code, testing and debugging it needs about 1-3 days of painful work, maybe even more. By that, I mean about 5-10 hours per day of constant, concentrated, not interrupted work.

Sorry, Lahela, but your statement is exactly what I mean (and I don't blame you!), but you completely underestimate the work we do. Completely. We would love to ask you for help, but I fear there's nothing you could do.

Martin
Lahela

Post by Lahela »

martin wrote:
Korm Kormsen wrote:i would like to help too.
but what could we do?

You exactly got the point.
Everything that could be done by (most) players is not really work. Designing a map or something, peanuts.

Describing how a NPC should react, well, maybe an hour. Making the Lua-code, testing and debugging it needs about 1-3 days of painful work, maybe even more. By that, I mean about 5-10 hours per day of constant, concentrated, not interrupted work.

Sorry, Lahela, but your statement is exactly what I mean (and I don't blame you!), but you completely underestimate the work we do. Completely. We would love to ask you for help, but I fear there's nothing you could do.

Martin
Sorry Martin, but I know that it is a lot of work.

I play Illarion 5 years now.
I helped with the NPC a year ago. None of them were implented, it was hell of work. Sure it was "easy" work but the board with all the idea/ scripts/ etc was deleted. I still bear a grudge because of that and I kinda took it personally. Childish, I know.
That and the ingame situation at that time were the main reasons why I "quit" Illarion. I created Lahela and told me not to get involved into Illarion that much anymore (neither OOC nor IC) because the help someone does is not appreciated.

Lahela aka Lisa
Avaloner

Post by Avaloner »

I don't know where you play, but all in all it seems that the roleplay is normal nowadays, maybe there is a problem with you, if you only play with a very few player, just looking at the "who's rp did you like today" topic unreveals most of you just hang around several player, which is in some kind normal, but can get repetieve, if you want new rp, then go and speak with newbies, talk with them and teach them, if you are such a great rp'er, like everyone thinks he /she is, but don't sit in your corner and crie about how noone pays attetion to you and your rp, its about connection people, not about prejudges.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

The reason I don't post in "Who's RP did you like today?" is exactly that. A lot of people post whoever they roleplay with, reguardless if it's good; so it counts for nothing, really. They put on their friends if they simply bump into them on the street or see them as they walk past the tavern, so I prefer just to either tell the person privately or don't say anything at all. Some people even post so people will post them for an ego boost.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I was thinking about the account system thing and thought of this..

Perhaps we CAN get the system back(or some form of it). Let all the current players stay(keeps community decent size). Then maybe 3-4 months of the year take it back down. That would get more people, but not tons. It is after all easier to try and teach 30 people in 3 months than 120 in 12. Just thinking..

I just love that fact people complain about overall role play. I think 75% of players take over a month to even get to the point where they are not annoying to be around in game. There are a few people that have posted in this thread about others role play that were less than perfect when they started(Not that they are not good now).
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Perhaps we should remember the simple fact that this is a game, and it should be fun for everyone involved.
But it is the staff's game, and at the end of the day, it is their decision what happens to it, because a change might make it better/easier, in their opinion.
And if certain players dont like this, and it ceases to be fun, then you should do one two things.
1. Realise the game is going a direction that you dont like and leave quietly, after all, there is nothing you can do about it, to be honest, and go and play on a different game, or none at all, there are plenty of others.
2. Make your own game. See how you do. Then I think you might find illarion a rather better alternative.
Rasteel Olin

Post by Rasteel Olin »

Martin, I don't underestimate your work.
I've tried learning lua.
Nitram spent a few hours with me on MSN trying to explain a few things.
I know how hard it is...
I haven't given up, but I also know, and wish everyone would notice how time consuming it is.. I have no time to learn it to the fullest..
Bumbol Woodstock

Post by Bumbol Woodstock »

no one is interested in illa because nothing happens in illa. dynamic characters and charismatic characters make the game interesting. the reason pendar fayed, aristeaus, stephen, darlok etc were big characters of their time is because they were played well. you have none of that now. illarion is gone. I should have gotten Damien banned for abusing his gm status by randomly banning my account a year ago, but I let the opportunity go assuming he would learn his lesson or at least have the integrity to just bow out quietly. For ***** the guy spends more time talking to his underage overseas girlfriend and playing ultima and drinking beer then he doesp laying illa but he refuses to walk away from being a gm staff. Dude, damien is just a ***** and so long as people like him are praised by people who want to be a gm for their own sad reasoning ila will forever *****.

also allowing nitram to push his various "private" player characters also pisses off people to the point of having them quit ;)

Take care of your words! - Arien -
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

You are saying there are no well played characters anymore? That is ridiculous, even for you.
Avaloner

Post by Avaloner »

Wow Bumbol you are one dumb person, sorry to say that, but its true, when did you play the last time and where, just sitting somewhere and raising his/her skill isn't rp'ing you know.
Its very strange to see that people talk about how less rp we got in illarion left and I always ask myself, are you playing the same game like me?
Trolls bane is full of interresting chars, just for example this little pain in the ass Johnny Lang and this is just one example, i heard there is a very good thief running around and just yesterday the quest was fun too.
Well I think all the people bitching about how bad illa is don't even play anymore or just don't interact with people, because there is no way you could miss all the good charakter and only get to know newbs.

Sure some of the old chars aren't there anymore, but we already got others chars to fill there spaces, maybe they aren't moving the world and the history of illa like darlok once did, but to say that there is no rp at all is just simply stupid.You want someone playing the big role, go on and show us how great you're rp is.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

He got banned.
Markous

Post by Markous »

Though Damien has done several stupid things in his past time of Illarion, including stupid quests where players got killed for GM fun, his quests can be very innovative and good. (Remember the Dragon quest?)
Rasteel Olin

Post by Rasteel Olin »

Avaloner wrote:Trolls bane is full of interresting chars, just for example this little pain in the ass Johnny Lang
Thank you.
It's Johnny LanT
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

He's a little nerk.
Bumbol Woodstock

Post by Bumbol Woodstock »

case and point to show no one cares, darlok took over varshikar castle and no one does anything about it. thats enough.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

perhaps some believe the fact that he has turned over a new leaf, and that the castle is rightfully his anyway. And many people, including myself, were never actually around when Darlok originally was.