Resources for the roleplayer. - Have you done YOUR homework?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mannelig

Resources for the roleplayer. - Have you done YOUR homework?

Post by Mannelig »

These are url links to the best resource for medievel stuff on the net, I read a good deal and it is really good it was intended for scholars, but most of the audience illarion SHOULD be old enough to remember the commodore days...anyways heres the links. I included some the dev team as well to help in making illarion more realistic as a fantasy medievil game. This is an expandation of Brendan Masons request for a dictionary.
http://orb.rhodes.edu/wemsk/wemskmenu.html (just getting started, read this and impress your friends)

German History (middle ages, this is for you germans out there:) I read some of it, it is really good)
http://orb.rhodes.edu/OHG.html
http://orb.rhodes.edu/encyclop/high/Ger ... index.html

Sub-Roman Britain ( I read a few of these personally, anyone form britain and UK should read.)
http://orb.rhodes.edu/encyclop/early/or ... roman.html
http://orb.rhodes.edu/encyclop/high/eng ... index.html
http://orb.rhodes.edu/encyclop/late/england/index.html
Celtic Fringe
( this is mostly a resource for those who want a celtic based character)
http://orb.rhodes.edu/encyclop/early/or ... eltic.html

for Dev Team
http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/oe-fonts.html   (these fonts could help make the site more olde and better set the mood for new arrivals)
http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/oe-art.html   ( these are art and artifacts, great for reasearch on new items, just dont take thier pictures just use for reference)
http://orb.rhodes.edu/encyclop/culture/ ... index.html (music, for music buffs and backround music, if sounds to be added to instruments, new instruments ect ect)
martin

Resources for the roleplayer.

Post by martin »

why should only germans read about german history?
why should only british read about british history?

anyway, thanks for the links.

martin
Mannelig

Post by Mannelig »

I did not mean that in anyway, I just thought Germans would be more interested in german history then british history, and likewise. I think that a good many  a germans would read the british history anyways:)
Ellaron

Post by Ellaron »

Do any of these links explain how Elves or orcs lived in medieval times or for that matter what dwarven communities were like? Perhaps they have some usefull links that will teach us how magic was performed by the powerful Elven Mages. I thought Illarion was a FANTASY game I didn't realise it was based on fact. Come on, surely when people talk of Illarion being around medieval times they mean technology wise and not the real history of this world? I agree that there is too much foul language and I also am not too keen on lol, brb, 4u and alot of other shorthand.  I like the idea of playing a character. The stats are nowhere near the best for either of my characters but instead of starting again and maxing the attributes out I use my weaknesses to build on who my character is. I can't play my character as a medieval one. The amount of study to play my human character properly would ruin this game for me. Where I would start with my Orc I have no idea. This is not a personal attack it's just my opinion.
Mannelig

Post by Mannelig »

illarion is based on acutally time difference of the middle ages the races are fantasy, yes. but all medievil game has to be based around medievil times.
Ellaron

Post by Ellaron »

I disagree. I still say that only the technology is based around that time. I cant see how you can play the game as if it were earths medieval times completely. The whole point is that it is fantasy. and therefore things happen that wouldn't of happened then and therefore new words and phrases would be created to fit the situation.
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

Cor come on guys, why start a ruck when theres no need? All hes done is just put a few links to sites that are in some way relivant background information wise to the game. Its just there for a bit of mentaly nourishing evening reading.  
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

The information on these links, although informative and resourceful, is not necceasary for Illarion players. There's many other things to worry about first other than trying to attain complete historical accuracy. I'm sure general knowledge of medieval times is enough. As long as they know cars and computers don't exist etc, nobody's going to complain that Illarion itself isn't medieval enough. It's not that people need to know exact medieval terms and lifestyles, it's just getting them to STAY thinking like a general medieval fantasy character.

In other words, teaching people to stay in the role of a general medieval fantasy character idea is more important than trying to fill their heads with a million historical facts.
That webiste would make a nice dictionary.

@Drathe: It's not a ruck, it's just a discussion.
martin

Post by martin »

just take these links as inspiration. illarion is, as most other fantasy-games are, somehow based on medieval stuff. that's not exactly true, because there might be -> fantasy-elements (you notice the similarity between the words "fantasy" and "fantasy") such as magic, monsters and so on. on the other hand, you can find fantasy-weapons and weapons which existed in reality, but at different times and places (e.g. a katana, if one existes, and a two handed sword).
however, as i said before, take it as inspiration, not as rules how to play or something. maybe you get some kind of feeling.

.nr is the top-level-domain for nauru, which is a little island in the south pacific ocean.
its population is about 12000 and it's really very, very small. the official name is "republic of nauru".

martin
Chyan Guo Messenger

Post by Chyan Guo Messenger »

lets also remember this is a ROLEPLAYING GAME, not Drama Class, its doesnt just contain German, and English ones ( though2 primary langauges). People who play doesnt mean they are english or german. Too many cultures, styles, slangs will colliden, and of course it will show..... not saying YO WAZZUP MAN is better than, hi guys in my opinio .... right on dude is worse than O K <---- (O.K known through out the world like that as well.)
lanugages also can be confused for something else.
ive heard---

Back in the old days, HO (hoe?) = hey,

but how would a women react if i went up to her saying HO??? and takes it the wrong way?

NO one else will study and waste their brain to learn mid-evil language before a GAME. People do try in line to avoid slangs and other words.... and i think if we met in person, i / we be amazed how the words (due to acsents) sounds so strange or funny, than you "read" it yourself ect....

best part is, it shouldnt/didnt of taken any "HOMEWORK" to figure that out.

My opinions...

(Edited by Chyan Guo Messenger at 4:14 am on Aug. 4, 2002)
Wiesel

Post by Wiesel »

My opinion is, that the language belongs to your story. a duke or whatever will be talking noble, a peasant wouldn't. For that we have got different races like Lizards and Orks, who should be talking a bit rude maybe, peasantlike. It belongs to your role, that's all, people think that talking noble is what roleplaying is about, wrong!
-Wiesel
Mannelig

Post by Mannelig »

yes, there are finnish players, french players and possibly even north korean players. The point is every game HAS to be based on SOMETHING or else it would make no sense.  Illarion is Based on the middleages in a fantasy world. Similary, Illarion is to be a True RPG, your character plays a role, for instance mannelig is an explorer, collecter and a crusader. Since the game is based, be it loosly on the middle ages, not just the technology but the fact that the middleages fantasy stories had legends and such of Elvens, Orcs, Dwarfs....
I my eyes Illarion is represented as a diferant world, a differant dimension or another place where life ended up as becoming a fantasy midevil legend.
And chyan goo messenger, I just spent 5 hours on that site before logging in, so I guess you have to revise that post to Some people BUT me.
@ martin, There are Replica Katanas, but I am not really sure if one really does exist in those times....I will have to research that:)
@Wiesel
Orcs and Lizards dont always have to be the bad guys, my character isent trying to be a bad guy, and some lizards are nice. Its not tlaking noble, its talking relevent to the times. for instance, near the end of the middle ages, middle english was used by noblemen and kings/queens. BUT the beggining remnants of modern english was used by peasents,thieves and traveling magicians. The reason why peasents are seen to be speaking slang is becuase the words arent familiar with the higher class, just some notes:) and one more thing, you can thank the thieves and peasents for the english that we speak now:0
Wiesel

Post by Wiesel »

I haven't said that lizards and Orcs are bad guys, but they surely aren't able to speak correctly, because of their anatomy. Orcs got big teeth which come out of their mouth, it's possible that they got problems by talking correctly. Same with lizards and their snaketounge.
Mannelig

Post by Mannelig »

thats true. but for me its easy since I screw up alot typing anyways:)
Chyan Guo Messenger

"Illarion is Based on the middleages in a fantasy world. Similary, Illarion is to be a True RPG, your character plays a role, for instance mannelig is an explorer, collecter and a crusader. "

When did you figure that out Manneli"googoo"? when you read the introduction to the game???!!!

True, illarion is focused on RPG but NOT what kind of style one speak in. As long you dont use too much slangs, or even better, none at all, you will be fine. Its RIDICULOUS to to learn old english or german styles just to statisfy you.  This game request its players to have proper communitcation towards other players, to be understandable and contribute to the RPG part of the game.... not learn the "old way" of speaking to make communication harder for others and to one's self.

"And chyan goo messenger, I just spent 5 hours on that site before logging in, so I guess you have to revise that post to Some people BUT me. "

@revising post:
sure, i have no problem pointing that part out, but im not sure what chyan "goo" messenger thinks... let me ask him when i have the chance....

@" Manneligoogoo---Ive just spent 5 hours on that site learning how to talk "
O M G - - - R O T F L M A O  
Mannelig

Post by Mannelig »

A wise man once said, if you dont have anything nice to say don't talk at all.
Now if you don't mind, the big smart people are talking about important stuff child, go play with you legos.
Chyan Guo Messenger

oh NO!
my negative opinions means insults again?
and that means I HATE YOU, I THINK YOUR A JERK, ECT. and .... is the daemons cursing yet???
Try not saying anything stupid before jumping on me.
Take your own advice and try "dont talk at all" yourself.
Please, this is'nt one of the little pretend tea parties, stop acting like your a
"big"(big mouth perhaps?)
"smart"(smart enough to admitt that you broke the rules, yet try to keep others from breaking it???)
person talking about
"important" (We need to talk old english? Im Lloyd's friend, and i will "whoop" you for disagreeing! I think O Ks causes too much poplution. Chyan Goo goo man, your insulting me with your disagreements and being childish which im not! ect.)

so think about it again.

and again....
@ "And chyan goo messenger, I just spent 5 hours of my life on that site learning how to talk before logging in to the RPG which is way polluted, ILLARION,"

O M G - - - R O T F L M A O   ! ! !
Mannelig

Post by Mannelig »

does the fact that nobody, including my gives a damn about your negative thoughts?
GMcfly, I Do not wish to be adressed by this person anymore, would you please edit his posts so I do not need to listen to his incesent rumblings about how hes the only person who matters with his own opinions.
Chyan Guo Messenger

the goal of a public forum is not to make people give anything about it. Its for posting your ideas, expressions, thoughts, and that includes NEGATIVE ONES.

And think about  it, does cutting a magnets negative end off really get rid of its negative pole/properties???

by the way, nice and "big" the way you act right?

you started the engine, you want to hold down the acceleration pedal now?:o
Mannelig

Post by Mannelig »

I refuse to listen, reply to and even consider anything you say as fact or otherwise.
Chyan Guo Messenger

i figure a big, smart person with important things to talk about like you would of said that.

Plug your ears tight, so you wont hear the syrons!
push that acceleration pedal my friend and keep holding it there!

meanwhile im smiling along for the ride.

But your right about one thing, most of my post isnt facts. they are OPINIONS like i mentioned how many times now? did you learn to count yet?:biggrin:

Again, dont be confused, the goal of a PUBLIC forum is not to make people give anything about it, but for posting your ideas, expressions, thoughts, and that includes "not so agreeable to you always" ones..

..... and oh, now i see, you dont/wont consider my posts a fact, but they are somehow magically all insults and hate messages to you?

(Edited by Chyan Guo Messenger at 7:12 am on Aug. 5, 2002)
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

ok, i'm not going to bother reading the argument between you and Chyan as it's always something stupid and pointless. My post is in regard to the original post and nothing else.

It's not really nessesary to read those, as i appreciate the effort Mannelig, and i'm sure many others do as well, but this is supposed to be a game and not all of us wish to read pages and pages of information and text. :)