Powergamers?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Powergamers?

Post by Guest »

What happend to Illarion? I have the feeling because of the drought everyone became a Powergamer... Today i saw a 49*** Number killing Spiders in the Spidercave. And i saw Halflings with 48*** casting 'ra kel qwan' nearly perfect, while blocking Demons. What is this? I dont want to play anymore if everyone dont do any more RP and just Powergame their Skills high. I think that should be stopped in some way...
This is my opinion...
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

It takes alot of time to get skills high anymore as it is, they must have powergamed for hours.

I RP alot, since my skills dont like to go up.....
Draakon

Post by Draakon »

You know it is true this is just what has happened and exactly why that is I am not sure. It has however become ridiculous to the point where there is really no RP to be found. Every day when I go in and walk around town I see noone save one or two people who are selling things to Eliza or buying from the human. Now mind you there is about 10-15 players online and the town is completley empty. The number one "hotspot" is the zombie ruins here are always people constantly fighting zombies for hours and hours or standing there casting on them. Also sometimes just a few squares south along the river they people are fighting eachother, sparring or training. Also of course since it does not take that long to be able to easily beat a zombie they remove armour so they take hits like everytime and also begin to use weaker weapons such as daggers and even old daggers. Just hack zombies and blast spells all the live long day, those who are stronger hang around and fight the skelletons and those who want a change or if the zombie place is over crowded can be found fighting scorpions.

Now with a decent set of armour wich I am sure they all own and a somewhat good shield they can kill these monsters in a few whacks with their sword or weapon of choice without taking a single hit. However in order gain skill they remove armour and shields and fight with weak weapons. Now if someone really RPed a two dagger wielder or a non armour wearing fighter (or a mage wich really has nothing to do in close combat tho) that would be fine. However should there ever be a "real" fight where they might actually loose be sure they have all the best weapons and armour on. This sort of thing I think is powergaming, there is no good RP reason to go and fight without armour when you own a ton of it but rather you do this simply to be hit wich raises parry and also use a weaker weapon so you get in more hits and can train up weapon skills faster as well. And mind you this is done for a very large amount of time, who can stand around taking hit after hit from swords and dagger while they wear no armour and do so for hours and hours every day over and over?

There is little or no interrest in the current huge quest that is going on, there is not much interrest in other players chars and talking to them unless it is about fighting and how good are you lets duel and wow how you get that strong? What should I fight? You want to train? etc.

So many people who was here that I enjoyed playing with when I started are now gone and I really do not know why but I guess they got very bored most of them. This game is really heading towards where it was not at all intended to go, the whole "flood" of new players (wich is not at all meant as a bad thing cause we want and need more players) have only met the players who stand around and fight things all day long. And they pick up on that and start doing it too and so on and so on. The older players get bored and pay no interrest when all they see is people fighting and working. And if they do and give the new players a sort of introduction that is RP based when next they see this player surley it as at the zombie place fighting and fighting. I really think something needs to be done and all new players really need to to try harder and find some way to actually RP their characters because half of Illarion is now the very common "class" Zombie hunter.
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

I would like to know, did that 49*** actual kill spiders? Or were there others with him? the 49*** got into the game yesterday. I am pretty sure they cant kill spiders.
Kzarak Zhoruch

Post by Kzarak Zhoruch »

A 49*** killing a spider is possible without powergaming.
Thou he'd have to play A LOT...
I'm not going to speak like a laywer to some powergamer, and I dont know if its true or not, however IMO, what is a lot worse is the abscence of rp.

Topics like "who is strong and who is weak" seem to what is discussed 90% of the time in game, and it is SOOO BOOORING...and screwing up all atmosphere of rp.

What puzzles me is why people play Illarion without rp, because as a simple hack n slash game it doesnt really have much to offer.
No offense to the creators, but I suspect they agree.
As an rpgame on the other hand...
Rynt

Post by Rynt »

Heh, no one could ever call me a powergamer. I'm a 42*** number and I get completely slaughtered by skeletons. I'm not bothered with getting strong or rich. I don't have the attention span for that. I can't fight zombies for more than 10 minutes without getting bored, and I doubt my character will ever be a master of any trade.
Kincent Nolatri
Location: Think to your self, does Kincent stay still long enough for a location

Post by Kincent Nolatri »

I am just like Rynt,I never powergamme thuogh Kincent does train a lot I try to keep it form becomeing powergammeing
Saurin Talon

Post by Saurin Talon »

C'mon! I hate that...

Today a 48*** slaughtered me down wit a few hits, only using a sword (skeleton), I wore complete knights armor, he only chainmail, and lionshield and i didn't even hit him once with my firesword...

No one can tell me that this doesn't look like a powergamer...

Perhaps he got the sword(skeleton) himself, what would show he's able to kill skeletons...
If I would try I would surely be killed...

This situation takes a lot of my fun, when playing Illa, away...

A little hint:If there's one with a high number asking you to duel with him --> Don't do it...!!! <-- these people are mostly PGers...
Aradhul

Post by Aradhul »

Yes there are way to many pgers Today I saw a dwarf letting the scorpions hit him. I now plan on if I see a powergamer I will not tell him to stop my character will slay him. And nobody can call me a pger because If I was I would be killing Grant about now *grins*
Cuderon

Post by Cuderon »

So you intend to break the rules?

Fine that you proclaim it to everyone here, maybe the GMs could prevent it.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Want to make us uneployed? Or overemployed?

Instead of just punishing a PGer I have to deal with a PKer too.

Why do you think we have our eMails (violations@illarion.org)?
Just report them!
Nartak Ironmaster

Post by Nartak Ironmaster »

Aradhul wrote:Yes there are way to many pgers Today I saw a dwarf letting the scorpions hit him.
This is pathetic, Aradhul...
The dwarf was i, indeed, but i wasnt PGing. My Char just dont got a good parry, because he never uses shields, thats the reason why they hit me, and i was fighting with them like any other monster, maybe skeletons or zombies. And another point is, i wrote #me messages and took rp-rests.
I know, there are much powergamers around, but my char isn't a powergamer. He is a 36*** number and still cant fight skeletons without potions... i do as much rp as i can...
Aradhul

Post by Aradhul »

Umm Nartak If you were fighting the scorpians Why did you not attack them until I could see you??
Faramier

Post by Faramier »

because you couldnt see him attacking them untill you could see him?
Galim

Post by Galim »

i believe that many of the powergaming charas are the second charas of some players. the try to get their second charas as high in fightingskills as their normal character. perhaps the think "hey, i have done enough rp with my first char, now i want a char who is strong".
and iam sure many player are doing PG because they don't want to get beaten up from orcs, elves, and rotworms anymore ;). but PG is bad, and noone should do this. for two days i saw an dwarv at the flies, three flies where around him and they have HIT him, but he haven't hit the flies until i walked near him. and i know that this dwarf is strong enough to parry them and hit them well, i saw him fight mumies before, without getting hit and kill one mumie after the other.

P.S. i think it is no PG if ya have no good armor or no shield on while ya fight enemys, as long ya FIGHT them and not get only hit.
Crocket

Post by Crocket »

Shucks, my chyaracter is a 35*** and I still get slaughtered by skeletons.

I was walking by the zombie area one day and saw an elf 46*** standing right in the middle of the regineration area fighting a zombie. Naturally my character sees someone in need and walks up and kills the zombie. The response I got was "Do you mind."

I said "Do I mind what?"

He said " I can handle them myself." The first thing that came to my mind was (uh oh, here is a Tibia player) :roll:

I said "All I know is I see you were being attacked by a zombie, so I came to help you out. I would not want to see you get killed."

"Well thanks but I can handle them myself."

I should have reported it to violations but it is so hard to prove what is powergaming and what is not.

Now if someone just stands there killing zombies all day long without taking the spoils then that is power gaming. If someone stands there killing zombies a long time but takes the spoils to town and sells them than that is not powergaming but a way of the character making a living. They can only carry a certain amount at a time before they get encumbered (spelling?), so this limits the powergaming a bit.
Twania Green

Post by Twania Green »

Too bad they didn't make those comments to me Crocket. It is this type of playing that is definately unwelcomed here. We role-play here; we do not horde monsters for killing with no reference to some storyline.

Monster Hording Players - You have been officially warned.

Twania
Draakon

Post by Draakon »

Hmm well I suggest you GMs start to swing by the zombie ruins now and then and take note who is always there fighting. Of course there are others who might be there and not doing this sort of thing. I sometimes go there to have someone to try and RP with, usually I fail to get anyones attention (zombies are more fun than me I guess..) but today I got someone to stop fighting and talking and RPing with me for like half an hour instead so yay! :D

And like crocket said it is becoming a bit ridiculous, I even got threatend cause I threw a fireball on a zombie that was attacking someone because he claimed it to be his pet.
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

Well, if that person is roleplaying the zombee is his pet, he had every right to yell at you. Wouldn't you be mad at a person who say... kicked your dog?
Caranthir the great

Post by Caranthir the great »

What kind of gullible idiot has a zombie as pet?
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

A crazy person? Don't know who the character is, who knows how the player roleplays him?
Caranthir the great

I think that you are just trying to get lame excuses for powergaming.
Remember that the 'pet' is constantly attacking you.
Grant Herion

Post by Grant Herion »

matters how you roleplay it. If you are strong enough to block the 'monster' hence not getting any experience from it, i think it is ok to roleplay it being a pet. Only problem is when it goes for someone else.
Caranthir the great

The experience? Goes to someone else? That matters?
Well congratulations, thats just about the stupidest thing I've heard this week.

IMHO it is not too much of roleplaying in the first place to run around with a pet -install monster- unless the character you are playing is *really* crazy, not because it is 'cool.'
Because the monster IS a potential danger regardless of you being able to block its attacks or not, so it should be viewed.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Actually, Caranthir, Grant has a good point.

I share your opinions partialy.

1st:
Its stupid to make a Monster your pet. Dont do it.

2nd:
If you dont gain skills/experiance than I cant punish you for powergaming,
because the definition of Powergaming says, that you do something just for the sole porpose to raise a speific Skill(s).

This is absolutly no Wildcard to let Monster follow you if they dont hurt your Character!
Remember: They attack you.
Draakon

Post by Draakon »

Well for a lunatic necromancer a zombie "pet" would be fine. And I know how the char is RPed and it is nothing close to that. An elf simply walks up to a zombie and decids it will now be his pet. Now sure it isn't powergaming, it is just silly and ridiculous and after 2 min when noone thought it was anything interresting the so beloved pet was just killed.

Regardless this isnt what this thread was all about really, but it is the sort of RP that comes from those who fight zombies all day. I have good faith in the GMs here and I expect they will be cleaning up alot pretty soon.
L.F.t.M

Post by L.F.t.M »

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, OR MAYBE A FacT, BUT PEOPlE COULD FIND BUGS AND GLITCHES IN THE SYSTEM AND GET THEIR LEVELS REALlY HIGH! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nartak Ironmaster

Post by Nartak Ironmaster »

L.F.t.M wrote:THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, OR MAYBE A FacT, BUT PEOPlE COULD FIND BUGS AND GLITCHES IN THE SYSTEM AND GET THEIR LEVELS REALlY HIGH! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
1: Turn capslock off
2: Stop using so much smileys
3: Stop spamming
4: There are no "Levels"
Last edited by Nartak Ironmaster on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rynt

Post by Rynt »

What are you on about? We don't have levels!
Albernon

Post by Albernon »

Today I saw 9 people on the online list, but when I went in game and walk all over the town and visited every building, there was not a single person. Then I walked to the zombie ruins and there were 4 people fighting zombies.