Thoughts for Runewick

All about Runewick and its Guilds. / Alles über Runewick und die Gilden in Runewick.

Moderators: Elvaine Morgan, Gamemasters

nathi

Thoughts for Runewick

Post by nathi »

Dear people of Runewick

Due to the recent developments regarding Runewick, I would like to address a few things so that the course of events resulting from the past can be evaluated individually.

At the time when the Order of the Bearers of Fire ruled Runewick, there was a close bond between Runewick and Cadomyr. The Bearers of Fire and the House of the Sea Serpent formed an alliance that was transferred to the communal relations of the two cities. There even still exists a treaty between Cadomyr and Runewick from that time. I certainly don't need to elaborate on the role Galmair played during this time. In short, Galmair was assigned the role of the rogue state at that time, as it was later assigned to Runewick.

During the reign of the Bearers of Fire, like all other citizens who were not members of the Order, I was not given the opportunity to really contribute to the politics of the city. Some positions were occupied now and then briefly by non-members, but it was more than obvious that this was only done as an alibi and without support, so that these chosen ones soon gave up or were deposed again.
I suspected a similar procedure when I was elected as a member of the council. I expected to be used as a pawn to take responsibility for certain shortcomings. In the long run, this may have come to pass, but things turned out differently at first.
Almost overnight the Bearers were gone, even with Professor Alrik I could only exchange a few words before he also disappeared without a trace. The situation surprised me as well as all other citizens of Runewick. In addition to the fact that all the positions occupied exclusively by the members of the Order were deserted, the city treasury was also untraceable.
The city was suddenly left with almost no military protection and no financial resources. Some citizens quickly made demands that could not be easily met. In particular, they demanded financial and material compensation for protection services, which were not available at the time.

My particular concern, however, was Runewick's foreign policy. Not without reason, because I had to realize that at that time a firm relationship between Galmair and Runewick had formed very quickly. The leaders of the cities took advantage of this opportunity, and I was initially rebuffed. Later talks about political relations were then always tied to unilateral conditions for Runewick, which for me would have meant action against citizens in Runewick. The explanation was logical, why build a relationship with Runewick when benefits could be gained from a strong connection between Galmair and Cadomyr? Runewick did not emerge from this role for a variety of reasons. The influences for this were complex, they happened and therefore I do not want to go further into it.

Nevertheless I kept the communication to both cities, because there were important reasons which were also in the interest of Runewick. The last developments have shown that the words between Runewick and the other cities have become sharper.
Under the heat of these hostilities, it is easy to forget that all empires also have things in common. The belief in military superiority can quickly become a fallacy if there is a common enemy that is stronger than one or even two of the individual empires.
I would therefore like to ask all parties involved to remember these threats and instead of harming each other to seek dialogue.
Because only if you talk to each other, common ground can be found.

For me Runewick stands as a place that draws its strength from its spirit. I have therefore tried to implement a liberal policy of freedom in order to offer this spirit a free development. Not everyone appreciated this freedom and demanded strict procedures. Of course, this freedom also harbors the possibility of takeover by a military power as has now occurred over Runewick. This is at this point not a reproach to the representatives of this grouping, who from my point of view follow their simple instincts, it is much more a warning to those silent spirits of Runewick who never worked to strengthen a liberal policy.
The free expression of opinions can now quickly lead to reprimands.

In summary, I would like to tell you the following.
The cause for the conditions of the present lie in the past. Even if individuals or groups are held responsible for it, the whole responsibility is always distributed to all involved. May everyone reflect on his share and from this realization contribute to the overall good of all.

Deanna Aryon'athar
Dragonlord Atarka

Re: Thoughts for Runewick

Post by Dragonlord Atarka »

It has come time for the Sardon to write a response to your letter,

Never has the Sardon read such sinister venom on parchment. Putting all the blame on the Bearers of Fire to deny any responsibility you have for the current state of affairs. What's more is that you would accuse the realm's defenders of a military take over when they have only ever acted within the scope of their duties. You claim that citizens made financial demands which you could not give, you have said as much to the Sardon personally. Yet during the many years of service the Sardon has given to the Runewick he did ask for potions, food, and shelter. Perhaps you could not afford to give food, however you were the only one able to make keys to access the beds in the Ranger cottage. When the Sardon asked you said you would give him this key, yet you never did- for dwarven years the Sardon served the Rangers loyally with no recompense. Asking for potions (which you did admittedly give one small batch) is hardly a harsh request of a druid or alchemist-whatever you decide to call yourself. Furthermore you neglected to communicate anything to the Sardon, you only had demands such as taking the position of the Captain of the Guard. Surely if there was intention to perform a military take over it would have happened then, but perhaps you do not recall the words of the Sardon "This one is a soldier, not a leader. He has much to learn before he is ready to lead." You were offended by this and avoided the Sardon further. It was not your business that this one had been learning the ways of mammals, of the pen, and the sword. This is the realm of learning of which we have the supposed right to the freedom of it. Should the Sardon have taken the position of Captain of the Guard during your time as Counselor the Sardon would be further behind in his studies and even more financially destitute.

You have claimed that you fear for your safety but you cannot bring forth evidence of any threats made against you. Surely criticism is not a danger to your physical health. You claim that the current people in Runewick are a threat to freedom of free development. Yet you have been a snake who hides in a hidden den to write upon parchment with your venom. To turn unwitting citizens against the very people who have upheld our constitution and our values. The Sardon still remembers the sham trial in Cadomyr where the Countess refused to listen to any evidence brought forth, even further you helped bury a murder investigation of a fishing merchant upon our soil. What insidious agenda do you have? You would side with the lies of foreigners and make wild accusations of a military takeover just so that you could return to spread entropy upon the College of Runewick, you are the obstacle to development. It's time Illarion knows that.

~Sardon, Last of the Great Atarka
nathi

Post by nathi »

The letter covers the historical course of political events as they occurred from the author's point of view. The bearers of the fire are not responsible for the mistakes I subsequently made. Mistakes are a building block in the process of learning. It is in the nature of things that a master always has made more mistakes than his apprentice.
Likewise, it is in the nature of things that people surround themselves with those they trust, appreciate and receive appreciation from. Leaders do the same when filling positions. They promote those who support them and shun those who only complain.
Sardon's letter with its personal insults points to which grouping he once stood. As for security, this refers specifically to Sardon's aggressiveness, which is also clearly underlined with the bounty call against Aswe.

Deanna
Dragonlord Atarka

Dear Deanna,

The Aswe did say quite horrible things at no provocation from the Sardon. One does not say such vile things if they are not seeking blood atonement. There are consequences for repeated provocations. The Aswe fears the Sardon's testimony regarding her attempted murder and sought to discredit the Sardon by provoking him to anger. The Sardon did not attack the Aswe, and once she left the protection of Runewick it should be none of your business how the Sardon treats such a provocation. The Sardon is not a Cadomyrian, when his clan and family is both insulted and threatened he does not seek Brassius to keep away the one who iss guilty. The Sardon seeks his retribution justly. This is agression, it is true. It was also hasty and a poor decision to do so before her trial had ended. The Sardon can admit this.

Those who would continuously spew insults over and over to those who do not provoke it are asking to atone with blood. One does not say the things that were said if they first did not want to start a fight. You cannot say whatever you wish to provoke someone over and over. Aswe's words are worse than the venom with which you write. Perhaps if the Deanna was actually present at the meeting or beforehand she would have seen the disgraceful way the Aswe chooses to act.

If you also defend a rapist and a sabotuer then you are no better than she.

On another note- You still cannot prove any threats made against you. As it's been said already criticism is not a danger to your physical health, your cries for your safety are a pathetic attempt to garner attention from the unwise.

Dragonlord Atarka

Always more to add,

It should be noted that the Sardon did not just 'complain' as you say but has served faithfully for many years. The Sardon has donated many gold pieces for the clearing of the poison waters. The Sardon has fought many creatures and has patrolled the lands. The Sardon has fought against the Gray Creature otherwise known as Jefferson Gray. The Sardon has donated coin and loot to the treasury. The Sardon has been convicted of no crimes upon Runewick soil. The Sardon has shed his blood for the Runewick in front of your very eyes.

You claim that you only communicate with people and offer positions only to those you trust. Claiming that those who complain get ignored. Why then did you ask the Sardon to become the Captain of the Guard if you did not trust him? Why would you shun the Sardon for wanting to learn more?

If you claim you did not give the Sardon shelter because you did not trust him then how are you any better than anyone who currently holds a position? You would deny shelter and food to those who would shed their very blood for you then you would complain that you never had the financial ability to keep any military support. Perhaps your comrades should see to your mental stability because your thinking is clearly backwards. You could just accept responsibility, only the Gods know how old you are- surely you can at least do that instead of continuing to point the finger at the very people who put in the time and effort to fix your failures.

Where were you this Mas when the demons attacked, where were you for the citizen's meeting? Where are you when we need to mend diplomatic relations? Where are you now when demonic contraptions lay outside our city? For all your talk it seems that you are the one doing the complaining. If only the Archmage would finally shun you for it.

Last edited by Dragonlord Atarka on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dragonlord Atarka

nathi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:11 pm Dear people of Runewick

Of course, this freedom also harbors the possibility of takeover by a military power as has now occurred over Runewick. This is at this point not a reproach to the representatives of this grouping, who from my point of view follow their simple instincts, it is much more a warning to those silent spirits of Runewick who never worked to strengthen a liberal policy.
The free expression of opinions can now quickly lead to reprimands.

Deanna Aryon'athar
The Sardon must apologize for writing even more. However it is important to address everything you have written thoroughly.

This here is the most dangerous of your words. You have accused the Council and those who currently reside here of a military takeover. This is no small matter. You also claim that that the freedom to express opinions has been met with reprimands. None of which are substantiated. You can't just say this to turn people against people because you were criticized by Avaroth. It is petty and destructive. Criticism is the expression of opinions which you clearly have put under siege. The Sardon means to express this to the Archmage directly.

Once more you are the obstacle to freedom of expression. You are the one who tries to convince our citizens that they would be met with reprimands for expressing these opinions. No one else has ever been reprimanded for this.

~Sardon Last of the Great Atarka
nathi

Post by nathi »

Dear Sardon

Aswe is known for her temper, and also that she likes to choose words that are offensive. I don't know the process, but you should perhaps view her reaction as an act of impotence out of desperation. It is legitimate to hold Aswe accountable for insults against you and your family, however the method of trial should be determined by the council, for if I understand the report correctly Aswe was still a citizen of Runewick at the time of the incident.
As for the temper and hurtful choice of words, there are similarities between you and Aswe.
Your very unfriendly reception in the tavern after my return, and your difficult to assess aggressiveness that emanates from you make me afraid in the current situation.
Nevertheless, I offer you a personal conversation to talk about this topic in private. At Drathe's request, I will attend the trial against Aswe and come to Runewick.
As for your last post, the military might over Runewick over the Mas is proof of who calls the shots in Runewick. I have already pointed out once that this is not in accordance with the constitution. The council has been silent on this. In my letter I am not calling for anything, it is nothing more than a rebuke to those who also disagree with this development but stand by silently.
However, with your accusation of calling for disobedience you underline the fact that the restriction of freedom of expression in Runewick has already occurred. I know the time of opposition still from the time of the bearers of the fire. They may be accused of some things but they always respected and listened to their opposition within Runewick. I also remember your complaints against the council at the time, which went without consequence for you. However, if the current government does not have the courage to face other opinions and sue them, they are leaving the path of open discussion.

Deanna
nathi

Post by nathi »

After Sardon and I exchange our personal views directly, I would like to state publicly that I am sorry that the relationship between Sardon and me once did not develop as he deserved. I apologize to him for that.

Deanna Aryon'athar