Advise that would help newer players...

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Achae Eanstray

Advise that would help newer players...

Post by Achae Eanstray »

We are in the process of upgrading the Hemp Tie as all playing can tell.. hopefully it will be a place new players can learn about the game. Illarion is a learning process regarding not only roleplay but movements and "how to" in the game.

Helpful advise to new players is good and I'd like people to give examples of what good advise you have received...

PLEASE DON'T GIVE ANY NAMES NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE..

This is simply suggestions that can be offered and appreciated.

Thanks!
Achae Eanstray

Re: Advise that would help newer players...

Post by Achae Eanstray »

As Achae... my first advise was from a player in game that caught me on msn. The player started out saying they REALLY liked my RP which made me smile and think I wasn't in much trouble :lol:

They then told me about my name in front of what I RP'd.. not like a story but more your character did this, said this, emoted this. So if you include that name.. Achae said.. or emoted, then it would be less like a story and more like her.

I was putting "She did etc... so it was Achae she did etc. What the player described made perfect sense.. ( I had never roleplayed before but read up on it before starting to play)

Anyway, that player and I are still friends to this day... :D
Brightrim
Developer

Re: Advice that would help newer players...

Post by Brightrim »

I can't really remember any specific advice I received as a new player, it's more than a decade ago and it's all just a big blur due to how young I was.
That said, I feel one of the more important pieces of advice to give a new player would be this:
Do not rely too much on OOC.

It may be convenient to arrange things out of character, instead of via a PM, the trade board or meeting someone in game. However what many do not seem to consider is that every such scenario is an opportunity for roleplay. Whether it is meeting someone you did not expect to meet on your way there, making new acquaintances, or playing it out in character to unforeseen results or just the fact that it gives you a reason to log on, which in turn may give others a reason to log on. These small things can really add up and bring you more roleplay opportunities in the future than you may realize.

The reason I feel this is such an important piece of advice to stress to a new player, is that I see both new and old players alike fall for the trap of going the "easy" route of arranging a meeting or deal with other characters through something such as Discord. This really removes a lot of chance encounters from the game, which is a sad thing to see.
Who knows which characters your characters may have a friendship or rivalry with by now, if everyone actually logged in and did things that could be done in character, in character, instead of picking the easy way of OOC communication?

A trade is not just a trade, a hunt not just a hunt. This is a roleplay game, and everything is a roleplay opportunity if you're brave enough.
Oh and as a second piece of advice, on kind of the same note:
Do not rely too much on hand-outs.

There will occasionally be older players with depots full of everything that will give a new player anything they require, trying to be nice to the new player.
And who doesn't want free stuff, right?
While free things may be helpful, to a degree, and the person handing it out is just trying to be nice after all, it can also take away your characters goals. Having goals, needing to obtain things through trade or otherwise, can be a very important factor for a new character to get introduced to other people and get involved in roleplay. Getting everything you need from one single character removes that roleplay, leaving you with less to do in order to really get into the roleplay of your character, and less opportunities to get introduced to other characters.
Yridia Anar

Post by Yridia Anar »

Best advice I got as I started 2006 :

don't be afraid to ask if you need help.
Enjoy RP and make your own story.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

I didn't really get this advice from anyone. It's more based on my observation and experiences. Maybe useful?
The function of a role-playing game like Illarion is not to pour your life and soul into your character. Instead, think of it as a collaborative, creative hobby. Such games are not intended as a life simulator - they're an outlet for the creative mind.
Illarion is a multiplayer game, don't try to go it alone! Work with other players to create interesting story-lines and contribute in creating fun moments for everyone.
Rome wasn't built in a day and the apex of your character development doesn't begin at character creation. Build up your character, their story and their talents as you progress through the game with others.
Don't play to win, welcome defeat. Conflict role-play has the potential to create a more fluid and interesting game world. The tide can always be turned!
Just like in books, movies or TV shows, you should always begin a fight with dramatic dialogue and emotes. Not only does this help set the scene and make it more interesting or create a more cinematic gaming experience but it also gives others a chance to know your characters intentions (and have ample time to react). It's also more respectful to the player - they may not wish to fight and instead run away.
Always carry a portal book. You never know when you might need one! Getting lost can be frustrating and carrying one of these means you're less likely to give up trying to find your way back.
Double clicking doors and depots can be tedious. Use Spacebar instead.
EDIT: 1 more:
Don't type your dialogue and emotes in rapid succession. Give others a chance to reply. It can disrupt the flow of gameplay when a player bombards other players with text.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

When I started to play Illarion, I must have been 13 or 14. I was introduced to the game by a RL-friend, he taught me the rough basics: Don't treat your character as an avatar of yourself, give the char a different personality than your own, etc. Now, these things were kind of confusing for a 13YO, who thought he was going to play the game with said friend, while said friend's char had a different background-story that did not really work with mine, and as a result I had no fun playing the game at all. This is when my very first Illarion-char died (actually force-emote killed, but I was dumb and didn't know that I didn't have to accept it) and I lost interest in the game.

One year later, in 2010, I came back to the game and created Katharina. Now, what I had learned from my previous attempt was, that I needed a proper concept. I needed to give that char some depth and background, on which she could base her future decisions. And more importantly: She needed weaknesses. A char who has flaws, would be far more immersive than one that had to be the best at everything they did to stay believable. I can not say that I remember many details about who taught me what and how, when it came to my first days, but I created a new char not too long ago. I learned a lot from that, which I would like to share:

People gave me free stuff, when they heard that my char was new to their realm. Now, that is definitely a very nice gesture, and I am certain that it's meant well, but... It takes out the challenge from the game. I have fond memories of the moment Katharina was finally able to buy her own cauldron, before the VBU. She saved coins for that for quite a while, and it was an achievement to finally get it. I had played for months by that time, and she kept working towards that goal for most of that time. This time, I wanted to do something similar. I aimed to get my new char a wand and have it learn magic. It took me, and I am not exaggerating, 2 hours until somebody just gave my newbie-char a wand for free. For free. The first big achievement of my char; and they got it after two hours without doing anything for it. It did not feel like achieving something 'big', as it should have. It was just something that happened. The donator in question (no names) did not even RP with me. "You want to be a mage? Here you go buddy, have this wand for free, good luck." and off he was. Keep in mind that I already played 9 years when I did this, so I knew what I could do next. But now imagine it was an actual new player: You start the game with 10 silver coins, and the cheapest wand costs 3 gold coins from a vendor. That's huge. That's something to work towards. And then you get it for free. Without RP. It's a total letdown, and I admit that I actually lost the motivation to keep playing this char soon after due to that. I mean... I knew that it was not meant in a harmful way. I knew that the char/player in question just wanted to help a new player to get started. But rather than motivating me to continue playing, as was presumably intended, it instead robbed me of my motivation to play that char.

So here is my advice on how to help newer players (And also new characters of old players):
  • Don't give them everything for free. You don't have to take vendor-prices, nor do you have to demand coins at all. But at least give them small tasks that allow them to explore the basics. Make them feel valuable by allowing them to help you.
  • And even more importantly; RP with them! You can explain them things OOC (movement, when to write ooc, how to whisper, etc), but try to explain them basics IC rather than OOC, unless really necessary. If you notice that you are playing with a newer player, write some nice and detailed emotes. For example those that describe your char, their detailed actions (#me glances at him/her, smiling friendly. She tilts her head lightly, some hair falling over her forehead, as she asks:...) rather than (#me smiles. "Hello.") Just as an example.
  • Show them that chars need their flaws, and that they can not always win, nor should they always try to be the victor of everything.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I guess what I would add is make the new player feel welcome, but also valued.

Give them a job or task to do immediately!

I always see new players or new characters as an opportunity that I use Bernie's personality to amplify. He profits off of them and helps them at the same time! It's a good thing, let me explain.

As a long-time trader, I always ask them if they require anything and then start some trading with them. I try to talk to them about their interests and what they wish to do. Somewhere, they'll mention a craft, and BINGO! I offer them a job that pays! It doesn't matter what, Bernie can use everything.

Why should I gather all the wood, shear the sheep or mine coal when "new characters" can do this and I save "my precious time" by using my higher skill to create higher crafts? It's a win-win....until they get their feet and wander off to do other things. And that's ok. They "graduated" from Bernie's employment. At least they know they can come back and trade with the little fellow and that creates wonderful RP and even some friendships! ;)

Yes, I agree not to just give them everything, but if you have a task for them, such as gather iron ore, make sure they have the tools they need and the knowledge to do the job. It's a teachable moment like "Where's the iron mine?" After all, they will essentially be working for you a while. Keep your 'employees' happy and able to do the job and you get what you need, they get skill and money and everyone wins!

Anything else, like a wand, glyphs, gems, etc. I make them pay for it...maybe at a discount, but they earn it. :)

In short, my advice is to give them something valuable to do. I can think of a few players who could use the extra help with gathering basic tasks. ;)