I am very afraid of loosing my gems now. (I might not even use them any more.)

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

by Estralis Seborian » 13. May 2020 16:32
Some restrictions on item drop were removed when we decided to increase the rot time of items from 15 minutes to around 13 hours. It is therefore possible to recover lost items by returning to the place where one dropped the items. In other games, such events use to trigger interesting interaction and cooperation.

Exclusions from drops cover items where a custom description has been defined. These are usually quest items or special rewards and therefore items players could not replace in case of loss.

I won't be able to replace my gemset ever. Took me about 7 years to get it - and now I have a job (yeah! great me `>.>). Maybe this sounds like a great feature to those who are able to play more than I am able to?

Keep in mind, there is a death penalty, and I have to wait 30 min before I can even try to get the gems back.

When I want to make a quick stroll into a dungeon, i can't bring them either, because I have an appointment in 30 minutes and I won't be able to get my magic gems back in time before RL hits me. (It will be more difficult to get trough the monsters again since your gear lacks gems now...)

When I want to play for 2 hours and I loose my Gemset at 1h30 min - i have to tell my RL people I cannot RL because I lost valuable things in a Game.

When I have lost my M&Ms and none of my friends is around to help me I have to tell strangers I lost my gems? If someone told me I would say: "Sorry I'm busy and I will rush to the dungeon you told me and find the gems before you can." They are so valuable you cannot rely on cooperation... :cry:

PVP sometimes happens and it makes emotions go high - I would not give people their gems back if they annoy me. It would be rather my goal to make them drop them.

When there is a big fight against hordes of monsters, (like Mas) a lot of Players are around I do not know and who have no interest in saving my gems, should I drop them. They would rather keep them to themselves. Newbies will think they are ordinary loot.

How about you PK someone and then find them at the cross, and re-kill them until their magic gems are dropped? Sure it is not allowed, but rules also do not allow replacement/refunds by GMs should that occur.

There are probably even more reasons I have to be afraid off. Once is for sure, should I'm not be able to recover my gemset I will drop Illarion for a long time because I would be mad.

Please reconsider your decision,
Rincewind
Alytys Lamar

Re: I am very afraid of loosing my gems now. (I might not even use them any more.)

Post by Alytys Lamar »

A far as I understand you will only drop items from your bag.
Belt is safe.
Equipped items losing only quality.
Slightly
Gamemaster

Re: I am very afraid of loosing my gems now. (I might not even use them any more.)

Post by Slightly »

To confirm, drops will only come from your bag so if you are training a different weapon, carrying backup for a wand when you drain mana, etc. you should not run into issues exchanging equipment via your belt.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Thanks a lot for the fast respond, I feel safer now and will adjust my behavior. 8)
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

Time to be afraid of losing them, again. At least I am.

https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... 4f87efd0be

We won't get back our gems anymore if our socketed equipment breaks.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

So - now I have to rant a bit and hijack this thread about something very similar.

The whole Item drop rate is - to put it simple - annoying.
Aly never was rich and got gifted gold from another PO. Now I did join a quest and lost all the gold. Gladly Po Kraex did pick it up !
I know many PO's have not much gold others are rich like hell.
They do not bother with the loss of stacks in her bag.

But honestly - I do.
If you go to the cross everyone can grab your stuff and rub hands together.
I wont say everyone would do it, but no one would ever find out about - so its an easy thing to do.
Some players are simple using P and grab all stuff which is dropped so they wont even know, if grab 2 gold for example, to whom it belongs.
Does it even notice much later, too
(( A lot of PO's for sure will help and being trustworthy. ))
To go back with near nothing hp left is rather hard, too.
If you play alone or in a group doesn't really matter. I doubt if you lose a lot, if alone, it will not be there when you are finally able to go back.

So my proposal - increase the number of storage of the belt or decrease the drop rate drastically.
It will not work the way it is now, I'm sure. Everyone is in fear to lose weapons, gold, gems and other things.
Some- who have enough gathered - store the nice things just away instead of using it, which is a real shame.

Please please consider a change to it ... or it feels like in this sandbox games I wont play..
I'm a Roleplayer and want to use my things without any fear and having a useful bag.
Grim
Developer

Post by Grim »

Well, why did you carry ALL your coins with you? ;)

my personal opinion: nobody force somebody to walk arround with all his belongings all the time.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I imagine this is an unpopular opinion, but the current system is already overly generous. I don't advocate a change, because I can appreciate most of the current players would be unhappy, but I don't think a gentler system is called for. If a player wants to completely mitigate the risk of loss, they have to sacrifice carrying everything they might like.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Grim wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:32 pm Well, why did you carry ALL your coins with you? ;)

my personal opinion: nobody force somebody to walk arround with all his belongings all the time.
first : I didn't have all belongings on me... thats just your assumption
also you need sometimes coins for a portal , repair and so on. Didn't even know that it is possible to store gold in a depot...
Beside you need the meager belt space for potions, another weapon, food. to react fast.

I imagine this is an unpopular opinion, but the current system is already overly generous. I don't advocate a change, because I can appreciate most of the current players would be unhappy, but I don't think a gentler system is called for. If a player wants to completely mitigate the risk of loss, they have to sacrifice carrying everything they might like.
I do not call for a gentler system - I made a proposal for more storage in the belt !! thats quite different don't you think ?
The system with the cross is fine by me, the slow hp return aswell.

But if you have to fear you lose always a lot of thing it feels not like a RP Game - it feels like a non forgiving sandbox survival game...
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Just to clarify: All inventory slots are safe (equipment, belt). Only what is in the bag might get dropped. Up to three ordinary items are picked at random.

At this moment, adding new belt slots would be a task requiring significant effort for server, client and scripts. I see no "hard" reason for the team spending that level of effort.

In sandbox survival games, you commonly lose everything you have, not just three random events from your bag. And as the items last for some 13 hours on the ground, total loss is also not to be feared. Of course, if you get ambushed by a gang of robbers who want to take your stuff, you might lose your items but this is the level of risk I see reasonable.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I do not call for a gentler system - I made a proposal for more storage in the belt !! thats quite different don't you think ?
No, I do not think it is different. Increasing the number of 'safe' items reduces the consequences of a character dying.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Korwin wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:00 pm
No, I do not think it is different. Increasing the number of 'safe' items reduces the consequences of a character dying.
Then lets just stop playing in dangereous places ... :roll:
or better lets wipe out the VBU and go back to old game stats.

It is not even made clear for new players how it works if you die. Games changed if you didn't notice.
Good Information is a key to prevent that players leaving out of frustration.
Maybe old players should just try again to see a game with the view of a complete new or returned player.

It maybe count for PvP what you are talking about, but the majority of players want to have fun and not frustration...
But how many do PvP here ??
However I wont say anything more about this since I clearly see where it will lead
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Brightrim wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 am https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... 4f87efd0be

We won't get back our gems anymore if our socketed equipment breaks.
Wait a minute, what?! Why the change? Is there some other code that takes care of returning gems to the player or do we really have to start paying attention to gemmed items breaking again?
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

An interesting way to think of gems is to think of them less as objects, and more as time:

Each town gets gems about each week. Players can influence, to various degrees, how many gems they get based off of rank and donations to the town (more town money = more gems).

It's not crazy to think of a single magical gem for certain characters to be the equivalent of 1 RL week. Maybe not a RL week of IG playing, but real time has passed.

For others, gems come more frequently, so the time involved is less.

An object that has gems socketed into it likely has 6 magical gems, minimum. That's because of how the design of the gems interactions. AFAIK, it is worse to have 1 level 2 gem and 5 level 1 gems, than it is to have 6 level 1 gems.

If that is the case, then this other piece because significant: an object socketed with a complete set is the equivalent of 6 RL weeks. And that is tier /1/. Tier 2 gems, 6 of them, could be the equivalent of 18 weeks. Now, by the nature of how gems are distributed, that time is spread out over various people, most likely. But gems get traded with other gems, so a 1:1 trade is the equivalent of trading time.

Basically what I am saying is, gems just 'disappearing' for any reason is a much heavier price than what might be originally intended. I also recognize there is random chance drops of gems, and that 1 week to 1 gem is probably at the absolute highest value they can be viewed at. Just drawing attention to a different perspective, as we are talking about gems and difficulty and the game being 'too easy'.
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

If you have enough gems to put them into your bag rather than your belt or person, then losing a set is a hard lesson. Yet- you can literally afford it if you have that many sets of gems.

Just pointing that out. I've straight up had a troll res-kill me and destroy 8 months worth of gems on a character- didn't get refunded. It friggin sucks. Loss happens.

PS-Edit: You can carry 9 sets of gemmed items with zero fear of loss- I personally feel if you have more than that or have enough sets of gems to be juggling them around then you can most certainly afford to lose a set without it much affecting your gameplay- just your heart and soul for the time lost.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Brightrim wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:04 pm Feedback gets listened to!

https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... issues/182
Of course. We're always looking for ideas how to improve the game, esp. those where we just need to change a couple of lines of code.

Just to clarify: The automatic removal of gems in case an item breaks (or is donated) is an extremely exploitable feature that was not added in general consent with a commit, not mentioning this change and referencing an unrelated Mantis ticket. So it was never meant to be this way.