Glyph Forging Tweaks

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

HolyKnight

Glyph Forging Tweaks

Post by HolyKnight »

One of my proposals may already be in the works by other means (NPC or a Book)
  • Requesting the ability to unsocket glyphs from talismans you can “create”. (Eg if you can make an glyphed amethyst ring you should be able to unsocket it!)
    • Why: Since you already have mana as an ingredient, allows glyph forgers an opportunity to learn the skill easier. To avoid abuse a glyph can only be unsocketed so many times before the talisman breaks.
  • Requesting that the the forger can see in the GUI what effect their jewelry will have!
  • (NEW 02/18/20): For glyph forgers the jewelry levels need to be adjusted. (when I look at a gold ruby ring it says lvl 25, but I cannot glyph this item at lvl 25). If this jewelry level is associated with another skill, please align glyph forging to this level or make a new level indicator.
Last edited by HolyKnight on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Re: Glyph Forging Tweaks

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

I really like the idea of being able to see the effect of the jewelry, similarly how alchemists can examine the contents of potions.

In that regard maybe an idea for the future can be cursed or hex glyphs that can somehow have a negative affect on the user, perhaps something subtle underneath a little buff like a hidden curse effect. A magic user or glyph forger will be able to see these effects and can identify a cursed or hexed piece of jewelry. This is obviously not a tweak and would need more work than the latter but i'd figure I'd throw this idea out there cus I thought it was cool.
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

Isn't that what this option does?

Never tried it, but it does seem misleading if it does not unsocket glyphs from the jewellery.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Yes, but is not based on the level of the jewelry from what someone told me it is an arbitrary lvl 25 perk.

My proposal is to have your glyph removal logic to be:

Glyph Forge (GF) Lvl >= Jewelry Lvl
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Both these proposals sound good to me i.e. see what you are making and to allow removal encouraging help with skilling... perhaps there would be more chars glyph forging.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Updated my original proposal to include a tweak to levels shown on jewelry.
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

Since the levels attached to jewellery correlates to the finesmithing levels like with any other items, here's an alternative approach:
Before and after image of what gets displayed when you are not high enough level to make something.
Right now, as seen, it just shows "Skill not sufficient." if you can not do it. Maybe something that would fit old illarion with its no-numbers policy.
However to be in line and consistent with all other skills in the VBU, where the level required to make something is easily available (by EG looking at the level of an item), I suggest changing it to show what level is required if you do not meet the requirements, as seen above.
I've already got the script changes ready to go with the appropriate german translations, should this be a wanted change.
Just feels like a very half-assed attitude towards numbers, if we allow all other skills to have expectations as to what skill level they need to craft/equip items, but make an exception for glyph forging by not having anything to signify what the level requirements are.