Muttersprache oder alles in Pidgin?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Banduk

Muttersprache oder alles in Pidgin?

Post by Banduk »

Ich kann kein Englisch und komme immer wieder in Probleme, wenn ich einen Forenbeitrag schreibe.

Wie sind die Festlegungen?
Ist es in Ordnung, wenn man seine Posts ausschließlich in seiner Muttersprache schreibt oder muss man eine Übersetzung mitliefern?
Immerhin scheint es sich eingebürgert zu haben, dass über 80% der Deutschen ausschließlich in einer Sprache posten, die wir für Englisch halten.

Ich halte das insbesondere dahingehend als bedenklich, da sprachliche Fehler, ob wir wollen oder nicht, vom Leser auf die sachliche Kompetenz projiziert wird. Das ist vor allem bei technischen Diskussionen für den Pidgin Schreiber von enormem Nachteil.

Heutzutage sind die Übersetzungsprogramme doch gut genug, dass sich jeder den Beitrag selber bei Google oder wem immer übersetzen lassen kann.
Ich kann kein Englisch und komme immer wieder in Probleme, wenn ich einen Forenbeitrag schreibe.

Wie sind die Festlegungen?
Ist es in Ordnung, wenn man seine Posts ausschließlich in seiner Muttersprache schreibt, muss man eine Übersetzung mitliefern oder muss ein Post in Pidgin sein?
Immerhin scheint es sich eingebürgert zu haben, dass über 80% der Deutschen ausschließlich in einer Sprache posten, die wir für Englisch halten.
Sind wir überhaupt noch interessiert an Personen, die Pidgin nicht verstehen?

Ich halte das insbesondere dahingehend als bedenklich, da sprachliche Fehler, ob wir wollen oder nicht, vom Leser auf die sachliche Kompetenz projiziert wird. Das ist vor allem bei technischen Diskussionen für den Pidgin Schreiber von enormem Nachteil.

Heutzutage sind die Übersetzungsprogramme doch gut genug, dass sich jeder den Beitrag selber bei Google oder wem immer übersetzen lassen kann.
google translate wrote: I can not speak English, and I always get into trouble when writing a forum post.

What are the definitions?
Is it okay if you write your posts exclusively in your mother tongue or do you have to deliver a translation?
After all, it appears to have been natural that more than 80% of Germans post only in a language which we consider to be English.

I regard this as particularly serious, since linguistic errors, whether we like them or not, are projected by the reader to the factual competence. This is an enormous disadvantage, especially in technical discussions for the pidgin writer.

Nowadays, the translation programs are good enough that everyone can translate the contribution themselves on Google or whoever.
I can not speak English, and I always get into trouble when writing a forum post.

What are the definitions?
Is it okay if you write your posts exclusively in your native language, you have to deliver a translation or have to be a post in Pidgin?
After all, it appears to have been natural that more than 80% of Germans post only in a language which we consider to be English.
Are we still interested in people who do not understand Pidgin?

I regard this as particularly serious, since linguistic errors, whether we like them or not, are projected by the reader to the factual competence. This is an enormous disadvantage, especially in technical discussions for the pidgin writer.

Nowadays the translation programs are good enough, that everyone can translate the article itself on Google or whoever always.
Lia

Re: Muttersprache oder alles in Pidgin?

Post by Lia »

Zur Unterstützung ja, zum Komplett auf einmal übersetzen nein. Da behaupte ich das es kein Übersetzungsprogramm gibt welches das fehlerfrei macht.
Dazu kommen noch diverse Akzente.

Im übrigen du hast deinen Text doppelt gepostet. In deutsch so wie auch in Englisch.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The only definitions we have is that Illarion is a bilingual game. So all scripted game content, news, website content etc. is provided in British English and German (German spelling).

The staff internal project language is English, so all code comments, team chats etc. shall be in English at a minimum in order not to exclude half of the staff.

For everything else, you are free to do what you want. You can play the game in Spanish or write public forum entries in Bavarian dialect. A poll among the community once showed that 90 % are able to understand English at a sufficient level. Bilingual posts are of course much appreciated but not mandatory.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

This is somewhat old, but I must say, that compared state of translations by http://www.translate.google.com in these days to those about 10 years before is much more better (from english to polish, from german to polish) and as for me this is not difficult to understand sentences or even whole long posts made in german after using that page I have mentioned. Problem can be in the game, because even if there is translator, but when player does make any mistake in wording, by a adding not needed letter or forgetting to add letter translator can't translate that phrase properly. Sometimes this takes too long to wait for responce from translator or translator just stops and player has to quit game and launch it again, because this is only solution to fix this problem. Anyway in my personal opinion translator in the game is temporary solution for each player before one learns to english at sufficient level. To be honest I wonder why people pay for learning english by additional lessons if they could just play Illarion and have fun with by this. Secondary playing Illarion gives anonimity, that even if you would be bad rated by others (that actually never happens) by your lacks in english you still feel better than if someone of your surrounding rates you. When I speak of Illarion to other people who don't play it I always point that this game gives advantage as possibility to learn english or german or both without spending money and get much more fun than attending to the lessons.

Additional languages (except english and german) in mechanics are not necessary I think. Each country can have own roleplaying scene, bigger or smaller, nevermind, but to communicate with other players one or two languages should be known. I can accept if game would be also translated to spanish or china or french, maybe russian (because these languages are most popular in the whole world), but I have pointed before, this is really not necessary, because players should can communicate with each other, so one or two languages I think should be preffered by system. I also asked once what if I met other player who would be also from same country as I am, can I speak with him using my native language (different to german or english) and I got confirmation, that this is accepted as long I'm using emoting in german/english when other people are around and can hear our talk.

I'm really encouraging to learn second language, because even if this is not illegal here that you don't understand english and speak only in german, but this still makes difficult to play together and lowers pleasure of the time spent, because you are limited to lower number of players.

My tip for actually all players who think they still are not feeling best in foreign language: when you are playing, play in window and have always opened browser on http://www.translate.google.com to type specifical word that you can't understand or don't know how that word spells in the other language.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

As mentioned already.. this is an old thread but more important has been answered by Estralis so I'll just lock. Anyone wishing to open please let me know, thanks!

Achae