Leaflets to distribute

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Karrock

Leaflets to distribute

Post by Karrock »

Can anyone create the official leaflet in english? Please don't add there german language.
However game is in english and also in german and the leaflet doesn't need "native" languages if player can't read text in games languages. I can at least distribute them in a one district of polish capital city, Warsaw. I could print them by my own wallet. All I need is project of leaflet to print.
Achae Eanstray

Re: Leaflets to distribute

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Not sure I understand about the languages you mentioned but I would think any leaflets would be important to be in both languages whether able to be read or not since the game is in both languages. This informs and also encourages a new player that there is opportunity for two languages for the game. :)
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Achae: I believe he intends to physically distribute them. In which case, a leaflet in English AND German would essentially be a waste of paper. I wouldn't physically distribute a flier in the US in both English and German. I'd just do it in English and maybe note that the game includes both languages. Further more, if the majority of the country do not speak those two languages, it would make more sense to do the leaflet in the most widely spoken language in the area. OR Simply do it in English since it is wider spoken than German.

Karrock: Why not do business cards? They would fit in your wallet better. Do the logo and name, the website, and a catch phrase pointing out how the game is an rp enforced game. If you put on too much information people won't want to read it. If you get enough to hand out after talking to them about the game and it peaks their interest, they have all the information to find the website. Or they stick it in their wallet, forget about it, and find it 6 months later when they clean it out and come across it.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Dantagon.. I guess we have different ideas of how the game should be presented. I would do both but not have a lot of writing.. the picture can of course convey a.lot but to add things like "Come play Illarion with us' or "it is in two languages and offers an opportunity to learn both if you wish" in dual languages is not a lot of paper.

Also if both languages are used, a template can possibly be offered for others that wish to do the same.
Of course handing out leaflets at all is better then not and a card can also convey information too.

Karrock... I believe Banduk had the "official" picture used for shirts etc that can also be used as a leaflet. http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 77&t=41466

As far as the leaflets or cards, I believe the society has final say on how the game is presented with the official logo. You may wish to also check this with Banduk.

Thank you for wishing to contribute to the game and get new players!
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Dantagon is right. Information that game is in two languages is okay, but why distribute leaflets in german language at country/region where only minority speak it and if they speak german they mostly also know english. At least here.
I think leaflet should contain: logo, adress, description of the game, its biggest mechanics (gathering, crafting, alchemy, fighting etc.), playable races and strong pointing that this is enforced role playing fantasy game. But not milliards of colors (not only black and white neither, nor just only text) to spare money.

Wallet cards are also good idea. The only problem that on those cards much less informations can be contained.
TiaSarah

Post by TiaSarah »

My two coppers: I agree that both languages on a leaflet would be a bit of a waste if the majority of the population there only speaks one. Maybe not of paper, because you could do one side per language, but certainly of ink. As far as other people wanting to do the same, why can't a template be done in each language? Our website and forum are each done in both languages, a simple leaflet/business card template should be a walk in the park. Then players could choose which one fits their area better, and print away. At the bottom of the German one, a little line could be added "Also available in English!" and vice versa.

@Dantagon: What about the catchphrase from our home page?? "Illarion ~ What role will you play?" Maybe add in the "Download now and start your adventure!" depending on space. KISS, Keep It Simple Sweet. Finding a little business card with the logo, those two lines, and "Learn more at http://www.illarion.org " would pique my interest. Sometimes mystery is a great salesman. People are curious by nature, the less you give, the more they want.

I really do think this is a neat idea. It may not generate a giant boost if they are just handed out at a bus stop. But, if you can find an place that attracts the right demographic (gaming conventions, a local store that focuses on tabletops/comics/games in general, a LARP gathering, sneaking one inside every Fantasy/Felicia Day book at the local library... etc.) it could provide a nice little bump. The best part is, once the Society has approved/designed the template, their work is done! The cost of printing, and the actual distribution work, falls on the player.
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Distributing them to random people like dwellers of a flats, houses or at similar places would be waste of time. Even not a waste of money, but time. Also distributing them on a street can waste the time. Best places are those that TiaSarah mentioned. Even regular libraries are good. If people come to those places to borrow a fantasy book, and a library is not just only for fans of fantasy this is still a good place.

Secondary. I think there should be created two types of leaflets. One in english and one in german, but not one type with two sides with same text in two languages. This is wasting of space that can be used to place more informations.
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

Last but not least, don't forget Social Media. Some others including me shared some things on Facebook (and at least me and my fiance who is also playing Illarion are larping for years - so we have lots of friends with interest in roleplay)
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

I think the whole discussion is wasting of time.

If one want to have any leaflet please don't say Mister Unk N. Own has to do the work. This will never lead to any result but frustration.
If you have an idea please provide a sample including used pictures we can discuss about.

Take into consideration: Promotion is an ongoing process. And in the very moment you did it it's already forgotten and need to be redone.
I got about 200 leaflets from Djironnyma and distributed them in shops with a high relation to fantasy. The amount of additional player was incredible (==0). These are outdated.
Creating a new I don't see any benefit for Illarion but feel free to try.