Older Players

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Bellringer

Re: Older Players

Post by Bellringer »

Why did you start playing, what were you looking for?

I was looking for a game in which imagination and interaction counted for more than power-gaming. I'd played many other so-called 'role-playing' games, only to be disappointed by the lack of roles being played.

If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting?

I played on and off for four/five years. I quit, more than once, due to real-life duties. Also, removing goblins made me quite unhappy. :(

What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?

I've not quite come back - if I do, it will be when the VBU is made. Obviously, I've still got an interest in the game.

What is/are your best time in the game, your best memory?

I really enjoyed playing with the Orc Horde with Rugh'toh, along with the Temple, under Avalyon. Good times, with good fellow players. Glad to see many of them are still around.

Positive aspects of the game:

Imaginative player base. Lack of emphasis on graphics/engine, compared to role-play.

Negative aspects of the game:

Necessity of power-gaming to raise skills. Economy. Needs more music.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more?

More players! More VBU!
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Bellringer wrote: I've not quite come back - if I do, it will be when the VBU is made. Obviously, I've still got an interest in the game.
Just to says, and sorry for going off topic. But the VBU was released in January.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:
Bellringer wrote: I've not quite come back - if I do, it will be when the VBU is made. Obviously, I've still got an interest in the game.
Just to says, and sorry for going off topic. But the VBU was released in January.
Woohoo! :)
That is good news. Last time I employ Joxia Doral to inform me of updates! :P
Now... Back to the topic.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

-I wanted a mix between forum roleplaying games and Runescape.

If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting?

I played since 2005 for awhile off and on again before quitting for good a few years back. With the magic system being implemented haphazardly and balance issues popping up it was too frustrating to play a character involved in the world and partaking in conflict within it. This frustration was enflamed when meeting gm none-event characters that had stat boosts and other perks. I tried quiet characters that wouldn´t bother with all the politicking and conflict but they were rarely able to hold up fun rp for a prolonged amount of time.

What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?

Everytime I came back it was for the atmosphere I found when first playing. The immersion and feeling that you can affect the entire world is very pleasing.

-Roleplaying around the farms with my Lizard Mazrian, rebuilding the shrine to the sea goddess and general religous flimflam.
-I enjoyed playing as my bandit Galthran, due to the (attempt) to roleplay intimidation and other tactics to get what he wanted rather than just murder
-Quiet times are suprisingly what I remember most fondly, relaxing with my fellow orcs in the bloodskull cave, drinking in Silverbrand and the bizarre casual lives of the deathly evil Temple folk.

-The lore is strong and interesting
-My first love for the game came when reading old forum posts, discussing how Trolls Bane should evolve and the various wars and alliances
-Simplicity and focus on roleplaying

-Poorly roleplayed powerful characters
-Roleplay can become stagnant
-The map became stagnant
-Too much talk within communities about powergaming, etc.
-Too much drama
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Alkuurg wrote:I enjoyed playing as my bandit Galthran
Bring him back. We need some well played evildoers.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Better watch out for that dangerous outlaw, Merung Harbes! He'll slip in your town disguised as a snowman and roleplay your small injuries into catastrophic organ failures he must fix with advanced potions and stitching!
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Sadly the game doesn't work for me anymore. That is perhaps the biggest hurdle. Having to download a multitude of Java and Driver thingamobs to make the game potentially work. Maybe if in the download section it could just have an easy list of things you might need to install more people would be willing to go through the hassle.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Wow, I recognize quite a few names here and have fond memories of them. :)

I was looking for an online game with a graphical interface and some sort of game mechanics where people actually roleplayed.

I don't remember how long I was active, a year or two? I burnt out on it. IIRC it was a two-fold reason I quit. One, the arguments here on the forums out of game that burnt me out the most to which I take full responsibility and credit for being an argumentative jerk. :wink: Two, I think I was just burnt out on the small community, and had gotten bored with playing my original character, and playing new ones couldn't grab my interest. It wasn't the same excitement to make a new character knowing the entire scenario already, knowing the other player characters and players too well, and little to nothing to do when roleplaying was getting stale. Back then, the game mechanics were next to non-existent, so it was RP or bust. And when I got bored with the RP aspect, I drifted away from the game.

Over the years I've tried it out, time and time again, but I could never manage to play for more than an hour. It was always this impression of the game having evolved and not explaining things older players need to know so being confused by new control schemes/UI/mechanics, not encountering any player characters to RP with, and not really feeling interested in trying to interact with the actual game because of fear of the original stance of shunning PG.

Phew, way too many to count up. I could count up a lot of shoutouts to people I roleplayed with in my time, but basically, I had a LOT of fun roleplaying with everybody and whatever bad blood you may think you had from me from out of game arguments or whatnot, I always loved the RP, the humor and the intrigues and all sorts of shreds from that time are my best memory. Spying on Karmane with Kasume, the duel to the death over Inwe's honor with Misjbar, the defense of Troll's Bane event, plotting with Moskher and always wondering when he'd try to throw me to the wolves, trying to play Aristeaus's favor but ultimately getting played by him, tip-toeing around lawmen like Irenicus and acting the part of the concerned citizen to cover up crimes while Fooser shouted obscenities in the background.... this kind of stuff is just the tip of the iceberg, there are so many "scenes" as I like to remember them as that were memorable and really entertaining to have been part of. Sadly, this happens to coincide with a time when people considered the game to be at a low. My sentiments might not be shared.

The roleplaying as I experienced it was deep and memorable. The storied lore created by player interactions even way before my time of playing this game was very entertaining to explore, and be part of any emergent stories that came of RP, as opposed to simply having a static background lore by story writers and no way to become part of it, or even make an impact on it.

Small community. And this may only go for back then, I don't know what it's like now, but: the basic engine was very stale and there was little GAME in the ROLE-PLAYING game. So when server activity was low, there was literally nothing to do but grind for skill-gains or gathering/crafting. And even then, you were technically not allowed to do that, so basically there was no reason to stay logged in.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more?
I don't really know and having been away for so long I feel like I have no valuable input as to what direction it should take. TBH what I want out of the game are two things and they are parellel but not necessarily connected. The RP is based on the people playing it (and the amount of them at all times), not the game engine. The game engine needs to be entertaining enough to solo/co-op game content when activity is low and RP is hard to find. I might just hop on again some time, and if I feel patient enough to work my way back into the system and explore a bit and feel the same amount of drive to explore, I might be back for a while.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

-Roleplay, of course. I don't recall 100% now how I found Illa, but I think it was a web search for "Free roleplay games" or something of that sort.

-I had some... disagreements, shall we say, with how the game was being run at the time; there was a very strong culture of "staff vs. players" that made things very uncomfortable. Then it went down for a while due to some sort of hosting problem, and by the time it came back up, I had found a new 'home' already.

-I came back a year or two ago, mostly because of Athian. I didn't stay long; I couldn't get back into things. But here I am, giving it another shot! My 'second home' has closed down now, and although I am working on opening a UO shard of my own, it isn't playable, and I have been suffering RP withdrawal. lol

-There were so many! But probably the most poignant memory for me was when a character mine was involved with committed suicide. That scene, but even moreso a few of the scenes with others in the aftermath, honestly changed me as a person, and are incredibly vivid in my mind even now.

-it's been too long since I was active to honestly answer this. I will try to remember to come back in a month or two and answer it.
-see above.

Other: Anything to add?
Tinuva Geogroda
Location: A Tree In The Northern Forest, Oh Noes, The Northern Forest Is Mine Now!! Mwhahaha...

Post by Tinuva Geogroda »

I've been out of the loop for years now, so I apologize beforehand if my answers are irrelevant.

Satisfy my curiosity?
For those that have been in the game off and on for a long time, am talking of over three years (which is not long to some I know :D )

Found Illa at some free RPG site. Interested me due to the freedom and hopefully more interaction with people compared to other games.

It became harder to create a new character or start a new adventure. People had their own little groups which you could hardly just RP yourself in. Thus it became boring for me, I wanted to try new things, try new scenarios. But it was simply not possible in the community. I played for a few years. No idea how long exactly.

Well the same reasons why I came here in the first place and I left again for the same reasons as the first time I left.

Defending Trolls Bane with everyone. Or the castle. And just the small good RP times I had. Sitting around a campfire with 4 guys each telling of their travels and adventures before heading off in their own direction.

The freedom
Immersive stories
Lore
The feeling you really step into the world of Illarion

Closed societies/communities of people
Lack of players
When I was around hardly any help for new players
Just the general effort needed to get yourself really into Illarion

I'd like to see a more living world with players. That's hard for developers to create. But now it's wandering around searching for players in the whole world. And if you finally find someone the chances are quite massive that they mind their own business and ignore you or wave you away. The world doesn't live, everything is mostly static because the random dynamic creatures, the players, are simply not there or not open to other business.

I still had a bitchin' good time right here. Thank you all for that.
Lexis Katarino

Post by Lexis Katarino »

!!! ATTENTION GERMAN !!!

Warum habt ihr zuerst gespielt, nach was habt ihr in diesem Spiel gesucht?
Ich habe es damals auf dem Monitor meines Vater gesehen und war vom ersten Moment an regelrecht verliebt. Es hatte Charme und war schon damals ein Spiel wie es es sonst nicht gab und vor allem Kostenlos! Die Spielwelt war für damalige verhältnisse schön gestaltet und dieser hauch von Herr der Ringe war für mich das Beste überhaupt.
Gesucht habe ich was in diesem Spiel zu finden war. Die Dynamik der ständig veränderden Spielwelt und Entscheidungsfreiheit wie in keinem anderen Spiel. Man konnte einfach schlichtweg sein wer man wollte und tun was man wollte und das alles mit viel Vorstellungskraft abgerundet mit der, bereits erwähnten, liebevoll gestalteten Spielwelt.

Solltet ihr aufgehört haben zu spielen, was war der Grund und wie lange habt ihr vor dem Aufhören gespielt?

Ich habe oft aufgehört. Mal länger, mal kürzer. Häufig habe ich aufgehört weil ich Illarion dann einfach wieder Satt war oder ich ein anderes Spiel spannender fande.
Wenn ihr noch einmal zurückgekommen seid, seid ihr dann geblieben oder habt ihr das Spiel erneut verlassen, wenn ja, warum?
Irgendwie hängt man ja doch immer auf der Homepage oder im Forum rum. :) Ich komme immer wieder um einfach zu sehen was es denn neues gibt! Sind alt bekannte Spieler noch aktiv oder wieder aktiv? Neue Updates? Illarion ist ein Spiel welches ständig in veränderung ist und das macht es so spannend meiner Meinung nach. Es gibt immer was Neues. Mal sind die Veränderungen gut und mal schlecht aber das hängt ja immer vom Blickwinkel des Betrachters ab. Aber das ist es, weshalb ich immer wieder auf der Homepage rumlunger.
Welches Ereigniss hat euch am besten gefallen, welches ist eure geliebteste Erinnerung?
Am schönsten war meine erste Zeit alles zu entdecken. Da war Illarion noch primitiv und echt simpel.
Schön war aber auch die Zeit als einer meiner Charaktere frisch in der Grauen Rose aufgenommen wurde. Dort war das RP, wenn auch nicht meins, am spaßigsten und viel wurde erlebt.
Positive Aspekte von Illa:
Ständige Entwicklung
Dynamische Welt, jetzt nach dem VBU, gibt es jede Menge zu entdecken
Charaktererstellung nach vollkommen eigenen Wünschen
Und die Freiheit eigentlich alles zu tun was man will, sofern es innerhalb Illarion's Rahmen bleibt.
Negative Aspekte von Illa:
Charwipe
Itemwipe
Die geringe Anzahl an Mitspielern
Das es süchtig macht und bisher sicherlich die meisten Spielstunden meinerseits absolviert hat.
Welche Entwicklung des Spieles würdet ihr bevorzugen und würde euch solch eine Entwicklung zum spielen verleiten?
Ich hoffe, dass Illarion an popularität gewinnt und mehr Spieler in diese faszinierende, sich ständig bewegende Welt eintauchen.
Falls ihr noch weitere Kommentare habt, dann nur zu.

Illarion ist einfach ein sehr schönes Spiel. Mit viel Arbeit und Zeit wurde es zu dem was es Heute ist. Unzählige Stunden wurden an der Entwicklung dieses Spiels geopfert um den Spielern den höchstmöglichen Spielspaß zu bieten. Es ist schwer sich Illarion zu entziehen. Mal schaltet man zwar für Monate ab aber letztenendes erstellt man sich dann doch wieder irgendwann einen Charakter nur um zu sehen, wie sich das Spiel entwickelt hat!
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Last edited by Katharina Brightrim on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I wasn't really looking for anything. A friend of mine stumbled across the game and recommended it to me. I adapted the whole roleplaying thing quite quickly, especially after a GM asked me not to use words like 'lol' in the game, haha.

I played Illarion for 7 years. No, kidding. And that was 6 years ago, so a very, very long time. I mostly stopped playing because I was moving to a new country, starting a new job, was in a new relationship. There were times in Illarion that frustrated me and made me want to quit the game. The game is addictive and you get invested, you get attached to your characters and their stories. Of course that lead to arguments... arguments between players, arguments between players and devs/gms. Looking back on it now it all feels very silly. I still understand it in a way, but when I read some reeeeally old posts from myself from years back, I'm quite embarrassed.

Actually just wanted to get my name removed from the page, but Achae was so sweet, I thought, it wouldn't hurt to see what the game is like nowadays

Oh god. There are so many. So, so, so many. I will Probably will never forget the first time Gwynnether met John Irenicus, infront of the castle of the grey rose, in the middle of a herd of pigs, that were summoned by a nargun priest. And he dryly said: "Welcome to the Grey Rose."

There are so many memories, but at the same time, there is so much I have forgotten over the years. When I browse through the forum, or sometimes in the game, things come back to me and I will randomly start laughing. Mostly I remember all the players. Many of them I have actually met and others I grew very close with. I fondly remember endless discussions with Aegohl outside the game, about topics we usually had the some opinion on anyway; I remember meeting PO Aristeaus twice in London. Of course I remember all the RL Illa meetings. PO Aleytys who had become such a close friend to me. Going out with PO Djironnyma in Berlin, getting totally wasted. And I know Galim is still referenced here sometimes, but he was also a great player and a friend. I can't even list everyone. It's all good and fond memories... and I got slightly sidetracked here, seeing how the question was actually about *ingame* memories. Sorry. :) It's impossible to list all the fond ingame memories.

The roleplay. Always the roleplay. It's what makes Illarion truly addictive.

It's overhwelming when you first start. The controls are not very intuitive and if I wouldn't know what Illarion is about, I would have probably quit after 5 minutes. The character graphics are ugly, sorry. Haha.

Well, I'm playing at the moment, although I can't tell yet how long my interest is going to last :)
What I think needs to be worked on to attract more players, is the character graphics. Of course this is a roleplaying game, but if I'm a new player, I want a *little bit* of eye candy. Paperdolling and skin colour/hair colour to choose from is a great start, but unfortunately doesn't change much about the female characters looking like bodybuilders and some of the other races looking just plain silly. I think some genuinely nice looking character graphics with some decent hair styles would get more players from creating a character to also actually step into the game.

I love that Illarion is still about and being worked on. When I started playing someone actually came to the newbie island to help me out, which was really awesome (and necessary!).
Lia

Post by Lia »

Rollenspiel, das eintauchen in eine fremde Welt und das entwickeln des eigenen Charakters und er Welt um sich herum. Ich kam als absoluter blutiger Anfänger her und seit Illarion bin ich leidenschaftlicher Rollenspieler. <3

Solltet ihr aufgehört haben zu spielen, was war der Grund und wie lange habt ihr vor dem Aufhören gespielt?
Mal kurzzeitig weil es anderes Interessanteres gab, mal wegen Spielern und zuletzt weil die neuste Entwicklung kurz das VBU irgendwie etwas das alte Illarion was ich so liebte zerstört hat. Keine Ahnung wie lange ich spielte/spiele

Wenn ihr noch einmal zurückgekommen seid, seid ihr dann geblieben oder habt ihr das Spiel erneut verlassen, wenn ja, warum?
Siehe frage davor. Aber ganz los kommt man wohl nicht. ^^

Welches Ereigniss hat euch am besten gefallen, welches ist eure geliebteste Erinnerung?
Da gibt es viele und meist eher kleine Dinge.
-Wie kleine Erkundungen von diversen Orten.
-Das entdecken der unterirdischen Stadt.
-Schatzsuchen mit befreundeten Charaktern
-Magier-lehrrp. Es gab Magierlehrer da war es einfach himlisch mit denen zu rpn.
-Das rp mit den Orks, daran erinner ich mich auch immer wieder gern.
-Oder kleine Momente wo die Gm's spontan ins Spiel eingriffen.
Bsp, beim erkunden der Drachenhöhle wo da plötzlich offenbar einer die Erkundenten beobachtete. ^^

-viel Freiheit den eigenen Charakter zu formen
-Die Chance die Welt mit zu formen.
-wirklich nette Community

-zu wenige Spieler (vor allem deutschsprachige)
- Das Gobiath weg ist
- das man sich nur begrenzt allein außerhalb der Städte bewegen kann, wegen zuvielen/starken Mobs (habe es oft ausprobiert, brav auf dem Weg geblieben)
- schlechte Wegweißer ^^ Nachdem man einen weg ging der zum gewünschten Ziel führte, war kein weg mehr da und auf den nächsten Wegweißern stand nirgends mehr das Ziel
- Suchtpotenzial :mrgreen:

Welche Entwicklung des Spieles würdet ihr bevorzugen und würde euch solch eine Entwicklung zum spielen verleiten?
- weniger Mobs btw sichere Wege oder wie auf Gobiath gefährliche und ungefährliche Gebiete
- Magie - Ich will wieder zaubern können ^^
- mehr deutschsprachige Spieler. :)
Maktan Hardtooth.

Post by Maktan Hardtooth. »

I was bored, and do to strict family was kinda stuck at home

I played for almost 2 years and quit becaue I left for the Navy And left everything Behind

I don't think I'm back, Nostalgia brought me here to see how the world turned out
What I love about this game, is The roleplay, the camaraderie, I made wonderful friends that would fight beside you, have each others backs, people got married, it was another life that wasn't all about being stronger, or better. I was a silly dwarf that was unlucky in eating bad apples and getting sick =P
Great community/Roleplay
Back then, the game was a lot of grinding and work, all I did was roleplay instead =P
I dunno, need to try out current game =P
I miss the old people, wich is weird, it was a only two years, but it was an awesome two years, I'm here after 10 years!
Jon Childs
Location: Location not edited since 5/12/05-Join me in my quest for locations that are overly long and dated

Post by Jon Childs »

A friend invited me to start playing with him. I honestly wish I was older when I found the game. I would have enjoyed it so much more if I had matured a bit and played with all those guys I did play with. I was am ass of a kid, your typical disrespectful ass hat.

Quit as I started spending a lot more time away from my PC. Must've been a couple of years maybe? Not sure, don't remember.

Came back a couple of times as the game is so unique and I enjoyed it, but could never stick around.

Playing Gra'able.
Lich Wars.
Retlak becoming a lich (think it was him)
Hermie
Fooser

Truly unique.

Too long and boring to skill up.

Not answering this as I haven't played in so long.

Other:

Sorry for being such a dick as a kid, wish I was older when I found this.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

[quote="Achae Eanstray"]
Sun Aug 13, 2006 (so 8 years?... wow)

I found the game was slow to improve. The broken system(s) and exclusive rp groups. I also needed to invest to much time to get decent skills to roleplay well.

I left, came back because I missed it. Left again. Right now I think they need to go back to basics, create a stable system, a decent economy.

Some fun role plays. They were always what made this game good.

The encouraged roleplay, the ability to enact permanent change.

Broken skills, combat, magic systems. Bad economy, people only wanted to roleplay with the popular people.

Remove the need to power game to roleplay a half decent character. Focus on balancing the systems. It's great role play is encouraged, but people need to be more open to roleplaying with everyone.

I'm not sure this game will ever be all it could be.
Crosis

Post by Crosis »

I was looking for a free game to play, and found illarion (I was into lotr). I did enjoy the roleplay factor alot. It made everything all too interesting ig.

I was inactive for a while, and then I think there was a character wipe. After that I quit logging on so much. I played before that for about 6 years continuously (maybe more).

I had friends who played. Always trying to get me to come back to the game.

The mage battles I would get into, were the most epic thing about the game. Getting married ig was fun. Guilding and building Greenbriar.

I do like how not much has really changed over the years. Better game mechanics, less lag...still the same old game. Roleplay is what made the game.

History wipes, character wipes, less players.... also I cant believe there's no magic. :(

Add Magic

Other: Anything to add? (Im actually really pleased with the client/world.)
AlexHeartnet

Post by AlexHeartnet »

Good question, was probably boredom

If you quit, why did you quit playing...
Boredom, again

What made you come back to try to play again...
Frustration with how MUDs are designed. Hiding mechanics in particular is complete stupid it just makes me want to completely munchkin things and roll-play more then roleplay. If I don't understand a certain set of gameplay mechanics, then I will discover what they are for myself and no ham-fisted game designer can stop me! :twisted:

The gameplay itself distinctly lacks the 'fun factor'. Roleplay might very well be the only reason why this game is still going.
Crummy paperdolling. I can create way more variety in character appearance if the graphics were reduced to 'text only'. Graphic games are supposed to be a step upwards from text-only games, not a step downwards!
yeah yeah small dev hobbiest project i hear you say freeware game no monetization indie dev can only do so much with such limited resources blah blah I guess that argument still holds true? But that argument is not nearly as strong as it was a decade ago.

More options for playing dress-up with your characters. Seriously, I could spend dozens of hours trying out different costumes - in fact, I've actually done so elsewhere.

Did I mention better paperdolling?
jmclark

Post by jmclark »

For those that have been in the game off and on for a long time, am talking of over three years (which is not long to some I know :D )

I used to play UO with a good RP group, and I was looking for a game that was more RP focused.

I've played in short spurts since 2010-ish (back when we were playing on Golbaith). Usually over summers or long holidays.

I come back when I can or when I remember the game. I'm a grad student, and I work in production so my schedule can be both erratic and grueling.

I like wandering and meeting people randomly.

The community and the atmosphere of the game

Lack of clear direction. The manual is outdated, and the attitude of "learn it IC" is a little off-putting when there are plenty of things my IC character would know that I OG don't about daily life. Especially as aspects of the game change in development. Some clear guides (especially just outlining what crafting tools/stations are used for what) and various pieces of information about what is where would be nice if located in a central spot -- rather than forcing us to do a bunch of forum searches and sift through potentially out-dated information. Also, a bit more info on the pro's and cons of different weapon and armour types would be nice -- gain, things my character would know IC that I'm blind to OC.

Also, the manual isn't easy to find directly on the website -- it should be up front and centre (IMO)

Some of the sound effects are louder than others, and the audio engine does strange things sometimes... but I'm probably one of the few who would notice that.

I just need a better schedule... I'm happy with the game direction as I've seen it. I just want more time to play.

Targeting is hard, and object occlusion is not well-handled; but those are known issues.

Nope, we just need more players.
Kale_Drake

Post by Kale_Drake »

started back in 2001 with the character Dunthor....yea im an oldie I remember you could mind on dirt right in trollsbane how I miss those days
Matron

Post by Matron »

Achae Eanstray wrote:Satisfy my curiosity?
Satisfy you I shall

A friend told me about the game and asked me to join. I had zero expectations and no experience with games like Illarion.

On and off since 2006 but now it would seem I am off for good.
I quit several times, mostly because of private reasons (graduation, several deaths of beloved people, leaving home, family affairs, etc.), however the last time I quit was because I got accepted into university and there was simply no time left.

Curiousity as to how the game evolved was one reason but I usually returned for the players whom I got to know on a personal level. There were even some friendships forming (most of them now being gone and forgotten), however for example I am still in touch with a player at least once a week. Those people are the only reason for a possible return I could think of.

There are too many events ingame which could have each been the best but for me, it's actually the conversations I had with players via messengers or similar platforms; those I always cared most about. Those OOC-relations usually lead to especially good ingame-interactions. Contrary to that I very much enjoyed encounters with characters who I didn't know (neither character nor player) because it meant to encounter and experience something new.

- if you could spare a little time (not excessive amounts) and wanted to, you could easily reach a position, skills or whatever you wanted, I never really understood all the complaints about the game being too hard
- the creativity of most people
-> the diversity of characters, backgrounds, lore, etc.
- the possibilities, especially during my time as a GM, even despite technical boundaries I never felt there was much you CAN'T do in the game
- group dynamics (people pushed each other, inspired each other, helped each other but also fought, critisized or hated each other and I always enjoyed watching social dynamics)

- no offense and keep in mind that I am German but I always hated how people would be offended by the English parts of the game or the fact that some quests/events weren't pure German (yes, I was lucky enough to learn a lot of English in school but I actually learned how to converse and such by playing Illarion. Check my first posts on the forum and you will notice the difference. However, that is a loaded opinion and it's mine so refrain from answering it on this thread and write me personally if you feel the need :) ...that is if you can understand what I wrote, peasant)
- I am not sure what else to call it but the "Game of Thrones for Wanna-Bes", poorly executed and illusional backroom-politics, people intrigueing and forming alliances or cutting people loose to get what they want (if it was in the game, I would love it and some people roleplayed such stuff very well but I refer to OOC-events when players were playing each other, when I was made GM because "that other person is becoming GM too and I want at least one good new GM" or them people taking OOC-informations into the game, that was always very transparent to me and especially towards the end of my active time spoiled my fun)
- the fear of something new, I sure whined a little when Gobaith was wiped because my char had his villa, I got used to the world and so on but then I felt it was a very good decision which was made a little late. I can't really put it more clearly but I always felt that Illarion and everyone involved was rather conservative than open-minded

I have nothing to propose since I feel that my Illaron-time is up for good. I sometimes make chars for fun and log on to see what's new or I browse the forums to stalk Artimer but I don't see myself getting involved a lot anymore and there is not much that could change that. Illarion ruined my school grades, improved my English and made me a social outcast (kidding, I am a kindergarten teacher now and studying to become a professional social worker) but it was a time that defined me in some ways and there is only a few parts I would undo it if I could.

I miss a lot of people I got to know via this game and I would love to catch up with some of you, however I don't really have any time left for anything (I am waiting for my roomie to get ready so we can go to the pub, that's the only reason I am spontanously writing this post) so I just hope you guys are doing fine.
Gibble Thibblebum

Post by Gibble Thibblebum »

I've been playing since the Farmers Union was all RP and just used the small farm inside Trollsbane, when everyone could use magic.

I have never really left the game. It's just that IRL would get in the way and I couldn't keep playing. Sometimes I got busy due to school, other times it was because my only computer died and I wasn't able to replace it for a couple years.

I have been a table top role player for over 35 years now and used to always have trouble finding people to play with. My first step was MUDs. Then I started looking at graphical MUDs and was most unimpressed until I found Illarion. Role Playing was required, yet the coding actually allowed you to play, improve skills, etc... when there was no one on. It was perfect. I enjoy it so much that I have kept coming back even after long breaks and losing 2 seperate fortunes due to server changes. No video game will ever have the flexability to fully replace table top RPGs but Illarion comes close.

~ Gibble Thibblebum
BjarsTale
Galmair

Post by BjarsTale »

Ich mochte es, vor dem VBU Städte, Burgen, Gildenhallen etc von Spielern erbauen zu lassen (mehr oder weniger), RP wie in Illa findet man kein zweites mal.

Dazu kann ich nichts sagen, ich höre nur auf, wenn das Reale Leben ruft. (**** Überstunden)

Das gleiche Spiel, Illarion ist ein großartiges RPG welches man kein zweites mal findet, ich bleibe, auch mit Unterbrechungen, dank meines Jobs.

Alles was mit den Dar'Krest zu tun hat, ich vermisse euch ;/

Positive Aspekte von Illa: Illa entwickelt sich stetig weiter, Das Team sowie die Community ist einfach unschlagbar nett ( jedenfalls zu 99,9%)

Negative Aspekte von Illa: NPC's werden so gut wie nicht beachten (kein negativer Aspekt des Spiels an sich, eher der Com.) Zb. Wurde mein Halbling direkt in den ersten 20 Minuten von einem Ork in Galamair vor Bre überfallen, war ja nur eine Stadtwache. (auf so was kann ich als RP nicht eingehen, versucht es bei meinen Chars also erst gar nicht.)

Ich las bereits, das Gildenhallen wieder baubar werden sollen (in ferner Zukunft) das reicht mir persönlich schon. Keep it like it, i love you guys!
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

Tis night meh hab felt like habin look here fer sum rrreason since looong time ago.
Must hab been fathurrrs mighty smashy hand leading meh here.
Fathurrr might thought: give da smelly weaky rugh smile on his nicy greeny pigface.
Sucessful He wus.
Tanks a lot fer memories warm like big firrre.... Burning smelly oomie cave, hurr, hurrrr

Farrrebas,
Da Chief
Talzion

Post by Talzion »

I mostly started playing to sate my RPG and classic roleplaying needs. I found great joy in playing Illarion during the old days as a time-sink.

I don't know, the game just stopped being an interest to me. I mostly played by myself and didn't really make any long-lasting roleplays. Primarily I had quit because the fairy I had worked on for a few years was deleted/banned when they were removed as a race. I lost my interest after that, haha.

I come back on and off again to make sure my account stays active, I play every now and then to advance a few skills and see whose online, but usually the times I do get to log in I'm usually by myself :( The game is pretty fun as a classic RPG; I am a huge fan of them.

Haha, as Tiane the Fairy, I remember having a recurrent roleplay with a farmer that was constantly farming in a similar location, I would visit him every day and roleplay with him, just to mess with him or toy with his crops. It was very special, and reminded me how much I actually enjoy a good, solid and consistent roleplay.

The classic aesthetic of the game is a huge appeal to me, I love working towards a payoff and the adventuring aspect of the game is very addictive. When it's available; the roleplay from the veterans I get to see are worth-while.

It's definitely very disheartening to have to sit down and learn things I still haven't learned in nearly 10+ Years of off and on gameplay. I unfortunately do not have the time to play Illarion on the regular, so I have, essentially, 'missed' my chance to learn some mechanics of the game which are otherwise unavailable to learn outside of the game. I know it's somewhat metagaming to 'know' how certain alchemical funtions work, or the ingredients to potions, but is truly the same said when someone learns it already and knows it outside the game and creates a new character? Not sure. I don't necessarily agree with the general secrecy of the games' mechanics, but it's a gameplay decision and the game is very much roleplay to learn, so I have no choice, haha!

Seeing this game get some more updates and advertise a bit more to get regular players would be nice, seeing more players during the hours I'm on would be awesome. It would be kind of cool as well to adventure and find 'tomes' or bits of information from NPC's about certain mechanics, like; How many skills can I learn maximum? Or, how does alchemy work? What are some basic recipes? The fact that I generally ask these questions though should tell you how much I play the game, lol. But that's all; The game is fine as it is for the people it serves.
Alatar

Post by Alatar »

Good old times :)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Alatar wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 pm Good old times :)
The legend lives :O
Manron

Post by Manron »

Also ich bin zu Illarion gekommen, da war ich erst 11 - für die damalige Zeit, eigentlich alles andere als ein, meinem Alter gerechten Spiel, aber zu dieser Zeit war es noch sehr einfach, Deutschsprachige Spieler zu finden (bzw. gab es fast nur Deutschsprachige unter Tags und Nachts kamen Englischsprachige - ich vermute aus Amerika oder Australien aufgrund der Zeitverschiebung :) )

Wie soviele, holt nach einer gewissen Zeit, einen das reale Leben wieder ein, somit muss ich immer wieder für kurz oder auch mal länger, pausieren - ab und an macht es auch keinen Spaß mehr, ich bin ja schon wirklich seeeeehr lange dabei und habe selbst auch Magie miterlebt, ich selbst schätze alles was hier für die Spieler, von Spielern entwickelt wird, aber das Magiesystem fehlt mir einfach, das hat richtig Spaß gemacht und ist auch ab und an einer der Gründe warum ich gefrustet wieder pausiere.

Auch muss ich dazu sagen, der Mangel an deutschsprachigen Spielern frustet ebenso :(

Auch hier muss ich mich den anderen Spielern anschließen, von Illarion kommt man einfach nicht weg, es sind die Spieler, die GMs und die Entwickler welche hier für eine durch und durch positive Atmosphäre sorgen, dir helfen wenn du etwas brauchst oder Wissen möchtest und mit Rat und Tat zur Seite stehen - es macht einfach Spaß, auch nach längerer Zeit wieder zu spielen und alte Freunde zu treffen.

Huch, nunja ich spiele seit 18-19 Jahren, das wären jetzt zuviele um alle aufzuzählen, aber es gab einige.

Community, Freiheiten tun und lassen zu können was man möchte, Berufsystem/Arbeitssystem - jeder kann sein was auch immer er sein möchte, das Rollenspiel mit den anderen Spielern - ich habe viele Spiele gespielt und hier ist es einfach ein ganz anderes Niveau, die Karte und die unendlichen Möglichkeiten hinzugehen und trotzdem NIE alles gesehen zu haben!

Leider noch kein Magiesystem - bzw. die Probleme es zu integrieren (wobei dies nicht an die Entwickler gerichtet ist :) ), der Item und Charwipe war schon sehr hart zu verkraften, die Gegenstände und Fähigkeiten die mein alter Zwerg hatte waren jahrelanges Arbeiten, das schleichende Verschwinden deutschsprachiger Spieler :(

Ich würde mir nur das Magiesystem wieder wünschen, ansonsten bin ich eigentlich mit dem Spiel mehr als zufrieden, man müsste mich nicht verleiten, ich spiele es, mit oder ohne deutschsprachlern sehr gerne :)

WIR WOLLEN SILBERBRAND ZURÜCK! :lol:
Werner von Mintraching

Post by Werner von Mintraching »

Hallo erst Mal,

ich möchte mich zunächst für das Interesse an meiner Motivation bedanken.

Ich hatte vorher ein Rollenspiel gespielt, das ich kostenlos mit der Grafikkarte bekommen habe, ich hatte es durch und wollte nur wieder zum Helden werden, aber ich wollte mehr gesellschaft.
Als ich aus der Bücherrei rannte, dachte ich ich müsse wie in dem anderen Spiel alles und jeden nieder metzeln um voran zu kommen... welch ein Irrtum!

Für mich lebt Illa von den Treffen, die leider so nicht mehr stattfinden, und von der Gemeinde, die für meinen Geschmack irgend wann an Humor verloren hatte, gute Spieler/Freunde haben das Spiel verlassen Manron, Bombor, Anfala, viele Mitglieder der Rose uvam.
Was mich viel kraft kostet ist auf englisch zu emoten und das nahm mir dann auch den Spaß. Mittlerweile ist es sinnlos zu emoten, weil zu wenig Spieler online sind.

Ich bin immer wieder mal drinnen, aber ich verweile kaum, weil die Gemeinde zu klein ist und ich bisher nicht den Weg in ein "Öko und Sozialsystem" gefunden habe mit meinem all meinen Chars.

Der Rauch in der Kleidung, der Dröge Kopf am morgen.... wer die Beschreibung nicht einordnen kann, war nicht dabei. ;)

Für mich war das wichtigste an Illa der Soziale Aspekt.

Es gibt in Illa großartige Menschen, die die Codebasis voran getrieben haben und die auch tolle Sachen ermöglicht haben.
Oft haben Menschen die eine große Affinität zur Technik haben, eine deutlich geringere Affinität zu Kommunikation und zwischenmenschlichem Miteinander. Sie wirken dann überheblich und reißen mit dem A.... ein, was sie vorher mit viel Mühe aufgebaut haben.
Ich habe Entwickler gesprochen, die einerseits enttäuscht waren über die geringe Anzahl an Spielern, auf der anderen Seite sich auch einen Sch... darum gekehrt haben was Spieler wollen.

Ich fand das Konzept auf der alten Karte nicht sooo schlecht, dass es eben Gebiete für bestimmte Rassen und ggf. auch Klassen gab, das Handwerkskonzept aktuell bildet keine Notwendigkeit mehr ab, um zu interagieren oder gemeinsam zu erreichen und die Grafik hat viel Potenzial.

Das mit Silberbrand würde ich auch unterschreiben!

Ich hoffe das hilft unseren deutschen Spielern weiter.